LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » need a little kitty keeping advice

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: need a little kitty keeping advice
just don
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am house sitting for last few days,,,and the next week. Daughter and whole family left on vacation.

There 6 to 8 year old HUGE long hair cat has had a problem with splurping (my daughter calls them hair balls,but I dont think so)

Seems it eats a LOT of food and then deposits it all on the light colored carpet for me to clean up.

Twice in short 4 days. It has done it before but always seems worse when they all leave.

Cat always is sniffling around and hacking on something. It eats all its food and sometimes

eats the dog food and the dog eats the cat food.

Any tips on keeping the food 'inside' the cat???Its always indoors and never out.

I am trying to feed it more often smaller portions,,,so far that results in smaller piles.

Other thing, dont know if related,,,dog and cat play this game,,,dog 'acts' like he is trying to kill the cat but he is playing with it.

When the cat has enough of playing dead , hisses and lets the dog know thats enough and runs/gets away.

/just wonder IF dog is playing too rough with cat when cat has fll stomach of food. Seems to happen most when NO one is home/watching.

any advice???

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffyFan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BuffyFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hm, what brand of food are you feeding the cat? It could be something as simple as feeding the cat a better quality brand cat food. I know with mine, I have to feed her a hairball remedy food, with that, she doesn't hack up her food at all. It is a good idea to use smaller portions so keep doing that.

Maybe you can shut the dog in a room or take outside after kitty eats give kitty enough time to digest her food??

Posts: 287 | From somewhere | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffyFan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BuffyFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh i just read that it's a long hair cat, if you aren't brushing her daily, you should start doing that and it might help as well. [Smile]
Posts: 287 | From somewhere | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Healerdealer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23032

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Healerdealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try brushing the cat as often as possible. I don't recommend switching the food.

Hairballs are very common. I have a short hair tabby that likes to be brushed. When I remember to brush her, she has no hairballs.

Healer

[ 02-01-2013, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: sixgoofykids ]

Posts: 163 | From New Jersey | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the smaller portions result in smaller piles, it really does sound like the cat has hair balls. They make special food, or even easier - hair ball treats.

I have a med/long hair (that refuses to be brushed) that gets this issue occasionally, and 3 days of treats and the problem is solved.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you can apply a small dot of petroleum jelly to his nose. this will help with hairballs. He will lick it off and it will help things move along, If the cat starts to act sick he could have a bowel obstructiion.Pm me if you need more advice.Was a tech for 12 years
Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and I agree smaller portions. cat and dog food kibble expand quite abit in the stomach. When the animal eats too fast its brain doesnt tell it it is full for at least 20-30min. Another solution is to feed canned food(a good quality one) it doesnt expand. But obviously you want to ask the owners first. There are also sensitive stomach foods out there.

Another trick is to put large enough items in the bowl along with the food to create a delay in scarfing it all down in 2 seconds. But make sure they are not large enough to ingest. Like baby blocks or something like that

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cat food for sensitive stomach might help

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just read Buffy's first sentence ...that was my first thought but since it is not your cat you can't really do anything about that

....Not able to read what others wrote...so may be repeating

...Put the cat food someplace where the dog can't get to it and the cat can't get to the dog food..

...The cat I have has a routine....I feed her just enough to cover the smalll cat food bowl's bottom

..I think the cat food package said only 1/4 or 1/2 cup a day of cat food

...the cat that adopted us expects food first thing in the am and then again around 3 pm....but guessing each household has their own program

...Ok brain is fading fast so I will stop now

...Ah yes...stress may be part of the problem too...but the cat could hide under the bed or someplace it feels safe

My cat weighs too much. I know that the neighbors behind me feed 6 ferral cats twice a day on their patio's...wondering if she is helping herself

but, you don't have that issue

I don't know if you need to slowly change a cat's diet like you do a dog's diet.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The cat may be very anxious about being "abandoned" by her owners too.

kam is right.. don't let the dog eat the cat's food. It's not good for the dog.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Yup too much protein in cat food for dogs
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Kitty massage, even the belly.

Soft music. Candlelight. Who wouldn't PURR?
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You said, Any tips on keeping the food 'inside' the cat???

[lol] [lol]

Don, I remember things you said about cats and dogs in the chat room, so I know how much you must LOVE taking care of these animals.

Especially when you keep on finding little piles around the house.

If the dog is bothering the cat like that, he must be pretty bored.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MADDOG says,Eat the cat,stop the hairballs.

Alf tought me that!!!

MMMMMM kitty!!!!

HE HE HE HE !!

MADDOG Here kitty kitty kitty!!!! MMMMM Kitty

Posts: 3996 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glue fly paper to the toilet seat,attach cat to fly paper with butt over the toilet.

Feed and water cat till daughter comes home to remove cat and take over clean up.

MADDOG

Posts: 3996 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Member # 18

You have heard of a catapult,what you need is a catacork.

I dont need to tell you were the cork goes.

HE HE HE !!!

MADDOG HE HE HE!!!

payne
Member # 26248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for payne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
shave it

--------------------
TULAREMIA/rabbit fever ?

Posts: 1931 | From mid-michigan | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angelp
Member # 36878

Icon 1 posted      Profile for angelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a lonng hair angora, mix...I once read to feed thecats a tablespoon of pure pumpkin , from can, justpure no pumpkin pie mix kind. My cats llove it and will lick it up...it helps to keeps the digestive track clear so the hairdoesn't become balled up.

I haven't had any problems since doing this. If they don't like it you can mix with a small amount of soft food.

Its funny cause mine will only eat the pumpkin from trader joes stores...

And I agree brushing daily when its long haired..there is a defurrring comb that thins hair out which helps...I do it once every other week. Also just bathed ours...it gets rid of a lot of hair during shedding season..wwhich is now..and helps with the dander for alergies.

Good luck!

--------------------
Angelp

Posts: 78 | From connecticut | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey...we finally got to give JD some advice. [Smile]

RE: the dog...yep..take teh dog for a long run

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don,
I tried to answer your pm, but your mailbox is full!

I emailed you instead.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement