LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » thinking about adjusting diet

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: thinking about adjusting diet
fred0
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fred0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been very strict w/my diet the last 3 months-no processed, sugar, gluten, lactose, low carbs.

Almost too over the edge.
Honestly I've gotten too skinny.

It's done the intestines good though.

I've cheated a bit on the gluten part a few times mostly to experiment and noticed it didn't bother me in the slightest.

I stay away from alch. in general but yesterday at a bbque I had a small glass of the real Budweiser Beer from Czech. wow!

I had no problems whatsoever afterwards.

I know it's recommended to go off Gluten for many on a Lyme diet because of inflammation but what if you have no sensitivity to Gluten?

It seems my sensitivity is more with Lactose.

I also noticed that if I don't take in a little carbs from potatoes, white rice,etc. that I get a little wacky in the head.

One article I read said that carbs are what give the brain glucose. Maybe that's why.?

Posts: 128 | From California | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
birdie67
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for birdie67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also seem to better with a few carbs. Otherwise I have absolutely no energy.
Posts: 486 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i can't do extremely low/no carbs either. i get so terribly weak.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
IMO, the "low carb" approach can be dangerous.

"Smart Carbs" are the key for me. That still means nothing processed, refined, etc. No flours. Just WHOLE non-gluten grains.

But most of our carbs should be from vegetables and legumes. You may need more. Be sure to have at least 2 vegetables with each meal, even breakfast - and for snacks, too.

More protein is also required due to infection. That will help carry the smart carbs over, too, so they last longer.

If you think you have no problem with gluten, you may be surprised to know that it does not affect everyone in the gut but it can also cause brain fog, fatigue and pain.

Now, if you feel fantastic, really wonderful all the way around, then go for it. But, my guess is that you are not feeling totally well. So, you just can't know to what degree gluten may really be affecting you.

You may want to get a DNA genetic celiac test, though. Then you can go from there. Still, with certain infections, a temporary celiac can occur.

If you have any degree of stomach pain or digestive trouble, that could be gluten. If you are to go on antibiotics in the next few months, your stomach lining has to get to the best point possible.

Don't mess with alcohol, even if you got seem to have gotten away with it. Lyme and alcohol cannot coexist. The combination can damage the liver and nerve cells.

It also affects the stomach lining and glucose stabilization. Lyme can cause diabetes, so we have to be more careful with that.

There are many tasty drinks to make from tart fruit juices and fizzy water. Though, carbonated water should not be a regular thing as it can also mess with the stomach lining.

As for the feeling from a beer, there are also ways to relax or become more vibrant.

I have nothing against drinking it's just that, for those with lyme, it can cause damage and prevent treatment from working.

I hope you can still enjoy delicious food and have fun - just be very careful.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://icmr.nic.in/ijmr/2006/august/0804.pdf

THE REQUIREMENTS OF PROTEIN & AMINO ACID DURING ACUTE & CHRONIC INFECTIONS

Indian J Med Res 124, August 2006, pp 129-148

- by Anura V. Kurpad

Fifteen pages of text.

Excerpt from abstract on page one:

. . . In general, the amount of extra protein that would appear to be needed is of the order of 20-25 per cent of the recommended intake, for most infections. . . .
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Whole, non-gluten grains include:

Millet

Quinoa, Red Quinoa, Black Quinoa

Amaranth

Buckwheat (whole groats)

Teff

Brown Rice, Red Rice, Black Rice, Wild Rice (within each of those categories are various kinds)

Oats (may be tolerated by some but be sure they are processed in a certified gluten-free facility and also packed in one. Do not buy bulk or unless labeled Gluten-Free).

Corn may qualify as a grain (but I think it's really a vegetable). Still, many are very sensitive to corn, especially those with any ear issues. Best to avoid. It's also much higher on the glycemic index.

-----------------------------

GARDEN HERBS, spices, various kinds of oils can create a vast array of delicious dishes.

VEGETABLES still need to be most plentiful.

DARK BERRIES and TART APPLES may be tolerated by some if candida is well under control. These have the lowest glycemic index. Still, best along with other foods.

PROTEIN must be part of each meal and each snack.
-

fred0
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fred0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thnx again Keebler.
Posts: 128 | From California | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Well, I know it's difficult. Balance is the key but we can get caught off guard.

Since you are not yet on antibiotics (as I recall) and it is summer, you can probably enjoy a much wider range of fresh fruits. (Assuming that candida has not become an issue for some other reason).

Same with some of the more starchy vegetables, still best along with other foods, though.
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement