LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » runners... or should I say previous runners?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: runners... or should I say previous runners?
FamilyFive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FamilyFive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All...

I had to stop running due to my symptoms (joint, muscle, bone pain) even before I was dx and fell into chronic pain.

I've improved on abx, and I just started walking... about 45 minutes each. (My current body & mind says "Congratulations!" While my old body & mind says, "Lame!")

I miss running. A lot. It's not that I'm fast anymore, but it's been a staple in my life forever. Last night I was out & friends who were talking about the upcoming half-marathon. I felt a pang of sadness. When I was so sick it didn't bother me... but now that I'm feeling a bit better it's harder b/c I want so badly to have my old life back. I keep telling myself... all in due time.

Anyway, I'm hopeful that starting to exercise (even if it's non-aerobic) will help me feel better and better.... not slide into going downhill again.

Can anyone share their experience on this after taking time off to heal first?

--------------------
FamilyFive

Posts: 218 | From Maryland | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ran years ago before I got sick, and had to stop due to plantar fasciitis.

Also, ran some half-marathons, 10Ks, and miss being in such good shape, the well-being I have not felt from any other form of exercise.

I have done some walking, but it's not the same. It does make me feel somewhat better, esp. since I am prone to depression.

Running is the best stress reliever there is. I truly miss it. [Frown]

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prior to getting hit with lyme I was a competitive runner and professional duathlete.

HAd lyme for about 10 years now.

The past 6 months I have been able to run again. ALmost back to my pre-lyme mileage (did a couple of 40 mile weeks with 15 miles of hiking) and posting faster training times then before I got lyme.

It has been 10 years of on again /off again treatment, spinal and brain surgery, steriod mishaps, herbs, anti-fungals, anti-parastics, detox ect...It has been a long road and I think I will be in some sort of treatment forever.

As runners we know our bodies very well. You need to listen to your body - it will let you know what it can and cannot do. Running always was a good detox for me and still is.

There were days where I could not even run 1/2 mile - now I can run upwards to 10. In the past, I have done marathons and half ironmans as well...

I did the 50 % rule for a long time. I ran 50% of what I FELT I could run. 50% of the distance and 50% of the intensity. I saved the remaining 50% for healing.

Alot of people here will tell you no to running but only you know what is right for you. Of course you are not going to go out running if you are too sick but there is a point in your treatment when it is of benefit IMO/IME.

If I push too hard then I pay the next day - but the key is knowing your limits and not pushing beyond them.

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some professional runners are able to run again. They had to do alot of treatment to be able to do so again.

Perry Fields is one. She wrote a book about her journey back to health, 'The Tick Slayer.'

There was a runner who spoke at the Sacramento Lymewalk last year - Pamela O'kane - you can google her story.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FamilyFive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FamilyFive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting... I am by no means a professional runner... just an enthusiast. I only wish I'd been that good!

When I was out walking yesterday I broke into a slow jog for a block or two at a time. I was shocked how hard it was on my knees.... They had previous damage and were very hard hit with lyme arthritis.

When I first had lyme 13 yrs ago (undiagnosed) I had pain but no swelling, and no long-term damage. Now I'm nervous I might have permanent damage this time around. UUGH! so frustrating....

--------------------
FamilyFive

Posts: 218 | From Maryland | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After my initial treatment in 2005 I was able to continue to race on a professional level in multisport and was a nationally ranked runner.

My initial treatment was too short and by the next year I crashed big time.

Over the course of the next 6 years I had spinal surgery and brain/skull surgery for which I had to be on steroids for 4 months. The steroids and surgery took my lyme and co.'s to a completely different level then previous.

I never thought I would be well enough to run competitvely again or even at all.

It has been 8 years now and I am close to being back.

With the help of my LLMD I am crawling out of the lyme hole and actually competed in a 5k last week and won overall female. By no means professional but I was able to pull out overall female and only seconds off my pre-lyme 5K time.

You need to get a gauge of where your body is at and what it can tolerate. You need to balance your athletic desires with realistic expectation. Running IS hard on your joints but there are things you can do to minimize the damamge and discomfort.

I know I will never be able to race professionally in multi sport again but that does not mean I cannot allow my competitive nature come out and play.

Even if you are only going to run for a block or two make sure you have your good running shoes on and stretch you quads before and after. Know that even if you took alot of time off from running for something other then Lyme your body would still need time to ease into it.

Focus on anti-inflammatory foods and herbs - I find Ginger to be a God send and every now and then I take perscription anti-inflammatories for damage done by the surgeries and lyme. Makes a huge difference and allows me to engage in the activites that I love so much.

Anyway, best of luck in your desire to return to running and health.

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
triathlongal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for triathlongal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Triathlete here. After being sick for close to 10 years I am back to running again. Not to the level that I had been.

I was competitve as well and raced elite triathlon. Cannot seem to get back to pre-lyme status with regards to running but I still get out there. I feel worse on days when I do not run.

Desertwind; That is so GREAT that you were able to bounce back for a while in 2005 and race as a Pro again - at least for a little while.

I would love to hear how you have managed to go through lyme and the surgeries and still be able to win races and run close to your pre-lyme times.

What are the key factor for your success? When I push to hard I flirt with relapse. This is something I have been trying to figure out - any suggestions?

I agree with Desert - even if you are only running a few blocks make sure you have the correct running shoes - good support and shock absorption.

Posts: 151 | From North East | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement