LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » recommend good gf bread?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: recommend good gf bread?
gigimac
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gigimac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can anyone recommend a yummy gluten free bread?
Posts: 1534 | From Greensboro NC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chastain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Udi's gluten free bread is really good. Jess.
Posts: 651 | From ct | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Udi's, too, because you can eat it fresh.

Other GF breads I have bought have to stay in the freezer, then be toasted to eat.

With the Udi's, I take 1/2 the loaf out, put in air sealed bag on top of freezer, freeze other 1/2 until ready to use.

Stays fresh 5-7 days.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Remember, if you put into a toaster, it needs to be a dedicated gluten-free toaster, not one shared by those who toast wheat bread, or one that has ever even had wheat, rye or barley bread in it.

This is very important to prevent cross contamination.

I've not tried Udi's, however, for Trader Joe's GF Brown Rice Bread, I separate the pieces a bit and freeze the whole loaf, adjusting it a time or two before it totally freezes. This allows for easy removal of each piece.

Put on a plate, with a cover and warm in the oven. Nut butter can easily be smoothed on then and the bread is nice and moist, not dry.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also like Udi's. I like the whole grain better than the white.

It has a good taste and texture, unlike other GF breads I've tried.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fourwinds
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14114

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fourwinds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're up to baking:

Gluten Free Simple Bread

2 1/2 cups blanched almond flour

1/2 teaspoon celtic sea salt

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

3 eggs

1 tablespoon agave nectar

1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar

1. In a large bowl, combine almond flour, salt and baking soda

2. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, then add agave and vinegar

3. Stir wet ingredients into dry

4. Scoop batter into a well greased 6.5 x 4 inch baby loaf pan

5. Bake at 300� for 45-55 minutes on bottom rack of oven; until a knife comes out clean

6. Cool and serve

Makes 1 loaf (about 12 slices)

Posts: 396 | From EAPennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gigimac
Member # 33353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gigimac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the tips everyone!
Posts: 1534 | From Greensboro NC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kinnikinick (sp). brand. Gluten, dairy and yeast free. The only bread product I cosume. Been eating it for 4 years now.

The are out of Canada so it can take a while to have it shipped. IMO it is worth trying out.

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find the beautiful thing about ordering from Kinnikinnick website is they cold ship for only $10.

no matter what your order size is- AND, they told me they bake fresh each order!

I used that website a lot when my daughter was GF/CF/SF for 2 years-

also have a dedicated gluten free toaster oven here since not everyone who lives here is GF.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I love that part of Kinnikinnick as well.

They have great customer support and just called me yesterday to let me know my order would be delayed a few days because they did not get the flour on time.

Worth the wait! They have great desserts as well for those who can nibble a bit on decadence.

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been hearing a lot about paleo bread lately. Looks good.
http://www.julianbakery.com/paleo-bread/

Posts: 631 | From the south | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have tried all of the brands and unless I toast them I can't stand gluten free bread. So, I buy my organic deli meat and make my sandwich without bread. Cuts down on yeast problems, too.

My mom does make a great blueberry muffin gluten free and a gluten free banana nut muffin.

Hiker53

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8879 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've tried Udi's and Rudi's.. this is the BEST one!! It has a lot more flavor and a good texture too! It even holds together for sandwiches.

Our health food store carries it.

http://canyonbakehouse.com/gluten-free/bakery-products.html

7-grain bread

Thanks for the recipe, fourwinds! I intend to start making my own soon.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When we were gluten-free we tried whatever brands we could find.

Honestly, I did not like any of them. We were able to tolerate the Udi's bagels if we toasted them.

I ultimately stopped buying GF bread products all together. So our "sandwiches" and "burgers" consisted of just the meat, cheese and toppings.

The only GF pasta I found remotely tolerable was the Schar brand. When you tossed it with a little olive oil an/or butter and a bit of Parmigiano-Reggiano or Locatell Romano you could barely tell the difference. Eating it the next day was another story.

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And by the way, I did not appreciate paying $7 for a tiny, fossilized, frozen loaf of bread. The cost of GF carbs is so prohibitively expensive, not to mention that some of them are loaded with a bunch of junk.

I'd rather do without them and spend more $ on good quality produce, grains and proteins.

My thinking was if we had to eat something that tasted like cardboard, I ought to be able to just cut up a few boxes into bit-sized pieces and put some cheese on them. No more GF carbs for us, except for the Cinnamon Rice Chex or Van's GF waffles that are often requested for breakfast.

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm fortunate enough to have a gluten free cafe/store within walking distance of my house.

They've recently gotten in a baker who does a fantastic job with a GF teff bread, and with a baguette.

Prior to discovering him, I found Udi's bread and bagels the best. As surprise and otehrs said, you can eat it right out of the package, which I really couldn't do with others I'd tried.

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whole Foods also makes a good gluten free bread called "Prairie Bread". It is very dense and much more filling than a regular slice of bread. It is good with almond butter.
Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
try the canyon bakehouse!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peonyprincess
Member # 38611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peonyprincess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Three Bakers Ancient Grains is pretty good GF also has to be kept frozen. Tastes good.
Posts: 68 | From NE | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement