LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Sleepless in New Jersey

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sleepless in New Jersey
AuntyLynn
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 35938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AuntyLynn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah - the big blow is headed right our way. I was up and out to the stores at 10:15 Sat., only to find the local grocery was sold out of water, flashlights and almost all batteries already. Well, I have batteries, actually ... (Couldn't get out on Friday as I was trying to finalize a major court document. Ugh!)

Then my BF finally started to help with taking the A/C out of my bedroom window ...at 1:30 AM, after we had made a "date" for him to help at 5:00 PM!

My legs are aching from dragging furniture away from the window and storage closet, after running all over town - and I'm bleary, but still too wound up to get any sleep. And tomorrow it starts all over again. (Quest for water, bread, tuna and casserole stuff. If there's any money left, there'll be BEER! [Smile]

Missed the post office with my paperwork by 20 minutes! (Just couldn't stop revising!) Now I am worried the Post Offices will be closed until Wednesday - and Tues. is my postal filing deadline. Oy!

I want to bake and do laundry before the real show begins late tomorrow afternoon - when the BF and I will bunker down in my modest 2 rooms.

I expect to lose electricity, as I did for three days last year, after that early snow.

Started searching for a battery operated Coleman lantern online most of Friday morning (as battery rot ruined my old standby!) ... but GUESS WHAT - NO ONE ...not Sears, not Home Depot, K Mart or Walmart, sells these "campers supplies" from the floor anymore - it's ALL INTERNET ORDERS! (Delivery by November 4th! Yeah, that does me a lotta good!) So a word to the not-so-wise, (like me).

Too bad the executives at these places never gave a thought to stocking shelves for EMERGENCIES! I bet if I had a truckload of these lanterns right now, I could sell hundreds of 'em from any street corner! Idiots!

OK that about does it for this rant. I guess I'll drag my sorry behind to bed, as tomorrow is another day.

Thanks for letting me vent. Stay dry all you East Coasters - and Peace out!

Posts: 1432 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LabRat
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LabRat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck!
Posts: 1887 | From Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best of luck. Maybe it will swerve some other direction, or slow down.

Really surprised that you couldn't find lanterns. Seems like I bought my camper lantern at Walmart. But that was not this year. Is there a Dick's sporting goods or REI outlet near you? They are going to have camping supplies for sure.

I have a camp stove that uses propane, a good thing to have in this situation. Can't use indoors, though. A bigger problem is usually keeping things cold if the power goes out. Can get ice for a cooler so frig does not have to be opened for a while. Can freeze plastic water bottles and leave in freezer to keep the food longer.

Hope your court case goes well.

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AuntyLynn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Guys! Everything looks better after a little sleep.

Yup, got two frozen gallons of water in the freezer + some ice. Also a coupla bottles of fresh tap water, and I'll fill the tub later. I have a good old Weber Kettle grill and plenty of charcoal, but of course, that's for post-storm emergency if there's still no way to cook. Luckily I have battery op pilots on my stove and could cook when we lost power for 3 days last year. (Which was a really unusual event.) Got the cooler right by the fridge, as always, and plan to make a pot of chowda, and some choc chip cookies today - survival food.

Yeah, checked Dick's. The only thing they keep in the stores is backpacking stuff - head lamps and mini propane models. Never heard of REI, but even Campmor (where I bought my tent) doesn't seem to have them in stock! And the closest store is 20+ miles from me! What a drag.

Latest prediction is it will likely run right over our heads, or slightly north to NYC and Westchester county. (Home of so many great LLMDs)

Well, it's off to look for water and bread, again. And thanks for your good wishes - esp. re: court case. My brother's attorney is a real SOB (and this from a career legal secretary!) Far as I can tell, he's broken so many ethics and procedural rules, he could be disbarred - just from this one case! I decided to do some edits on the paper last night so its back to Staples again today too! Figure, this is likely my only/last shot to be heard - so I'm throwing in the kitchen sink, for Mom's sake - including Embers, Advanced Labs/Igenex, and Blumenthal.

You know, the Lord works in mysterious ways sometimes. A coupla weeks ago, as i was going through an old mess of court papers, I came across a doctor's report (her first visit to the neuro group who dxd with neuro lyme). This thing talks about her medical history and says that she was given SIX WEEKS of doxycycline in the summer of 2008. So I'm pointing out to the Court, that despite this "long course" of orals, in late spring of 2009 she had a POSITIVE Spinal Tap for Lyme! So I'm just realizing that I have proof-positive documentation regarding "chronic" Lyme, in her own history!

Sure hope it works.

But (sigh) this too shall pass. I'll get back to you - as long as I still have power/internet.

Again, thanks for the support!

Posts: 1432 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gas stove! Great.

Did you see this post in activism? It lays out the situation in the lyme controversy in plain terms.

http://www.futuremedicine.com/doi/full/10.2217/fmb.12.92

Guess you already have all of Miklossy's articles on lyme and alzheimers, which are probably the most relevant.

[ 10-28-2012, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: poppy ]

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Miklossy's articles? No - never heard of them! Got links?? I'd love to take a look before I go to the hearing.

Yeah - Gas stove! I would NEVER live an apartment with an electric, just don't like cooking/baking with 'em.

Oh Damn! I just heard a few raindrops - and I've got lots of running around left to do!

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take care and stay safe!! Hope you don't lose power!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Did I get it wrong....your mother is being said to have Alzheimers? Or not? I looked thru a bunch of your posts to see what you said about it, and couldn't find that diagnosis.

Anyway, just in case, here are some refs about lyme and alzheimers symptoms, brain involvement:

http://www.miklossy.ch/media/83fcb06de359f83cffff87f8ffa86321.pdf

http://www.jneuroinflammation.com/content/8/1/90

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12194230

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22355605

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20431027

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17113237

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17055667

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15894409

[ 10-28-2012, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: poppy ]

pme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Praying for all in sandys path to be safe. I am in ct so also worried. I am as prepared as i can be. It's not in my power now. Stay safe!

--------------------
Tick bite in 2006, bullseye rash, treated with 2 rounds of 2 weeks of doxy. (once in 2006, once in 2009)
Dx with chronic Lyme May 2011.
LLMD April 2012, Treating with omnicef/zith
Lots of supplements!

Posts: 640 | From Connecticut | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be aware that Lymenet is based in New Jersey and may suffer outages from the storm.

(UNofficial announcement!) It's happened before. . so just sayin'...

Take care, all who are in the path of the storm. We'll keep you in our prayers!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momindeep
Member # 7618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momindeep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not looking good for the East Coast at all! Be thinking about our East Coast lymenet friends.

Be smart and safe and keep us posted if you can.

Posts: 1512 | From Glenwood City WI | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty nerve-wracking to be on the east coast. Glad that busses/trains/railroads/schools are shut down and there are mandatory evacuations along the coastal routes.

The weather people are calling this "the perfect storm" and "franenstorm." Hurricane Sandy will apparently encounter another weather system, a full moon and high tides. This storm is slow moving, unlike Hurricane Irene, which was extremely devastating to the east coast. I heard something today that the last time this scenario played out was in the 1930s and that this will be the worst and biggest storm of our lifetime.

I hope they're wrong and are just being safe than sorry. Hunker down everyone and stay safe.

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am in Philly in a high rise on the 14th floor. Brought in my patio furniture. My neighbor (right next to me wanted to know if she should bring in her plants? I said" yes unless she wanted to see them take off like in the movie The Wizard of Oz" [Eek!]

I am trying to convince her to bring in her patio furniture. Honestly, I just don't understand what people are thinking (or not) sometimes.

I was in Miami in 1964 when hurricane Cleo hit dead on with wind gusts of 150 mph. We were a block off the ocean and my mother in law and husband thought it would be okay to stay in the motel she owned. NOT!!

Long story short the windows were crashing and breaking all over the place. Just like in the movies. I had a new baby and ran into the walk in closet. The next day, it looked like a war zone outside.

It is Sunday evening here and all is quiet....quiet before the storm. Hope everyone on the east coast stays safe and dry.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm right in the path of the storm, too, but Gael, hopefully, we won't have any kind of experience comparable to yours in Miami.

It's Sunday evening. The rain's steadier, and the winds are starting to gust.

I've got 3 batteries for my phone. A wind up radio, which also gets weather bands. I've made a pot of shrimp gumbo and some red lentil soup. We have a gas stove, so we can heat things, even if we lose power.

The flashlight situation is a little more tenuous--since everyone was sold out. But we do have 3 oil lamps. Plus we brought in firewood.

I was on the roof earlier today cleaning out the gutters and we secured all the furniture.

I keep trying to remember that stress exacerbates Lyme. I keep trying to remember to breathe.

All of us in the path of this storm need good thoughts and prayers.

Stay safe, everyone!

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gael,
I'm about an hour's drive west of you.
Just raining now.
We're expecting lots of rain and will get high winds, like 40 to 60 mph, on Tuesday.

We don't usually lose power during storms, but you never know.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up here in New England, we are just getting some light but steady rain with some winds, but not howling yet. Praying it is not as bad as they are predicting... We spent the weekend battening down the hatches.
Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am in the path of the storm as well.

Got our generator up and ready to go. Prepared for the worst. Wierd that exactly a year ago we had that snow storm!

My TBI/Chiari head is KILLING me and I cannot stand the dropping pressure. I feel like my head is going to explode. I have emergency meds for these low pressure storm headaches.

Anyway, I hope everyone stays safe during the next few days.....

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had forgot about the Halloween snow storm last year. Oh my. I also remember the last hurricane that came up the east coast really put it north of NYC and the flooding was unreal.

Here's to all of you in the northeast... Stay safe.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Gael.. people have no clue, do they?? Sheesh. I grew up on the Gulf Coast and have had plenty of experience with the storms.

I'm really concerned about the flooding that they expect in Manhattan, etc. I guess there will be flooding in most places .. and people may be caught off-guard since the storms don't usually have this large a flood surge (in these areas).

desert... hope the headache doesn't get too bad!! ARRGHH!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just took Teddy for his afternoon walk. I kept thinking there were trucks behind us, but it was only the sound of the gusting wind.

Thank God our home is still dry, and all the trees are standing.

desert, I've got that same pressure-caused headache, so my thoughts are with you.

Still steeling for the worst.

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme in Putnam
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In new York, not a good thing to be in Sandys path. Can't complain, we still have power,, just fierce wind and rain. God bless, stay safe.

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everybody,

OMG, I was just listening to the news and they said that the wind has to funnel it's way through the high rises in the city and they expect the winds to be between 80-100 mph with a possibility of blown out windows. [Eek!]

Stay safe everyone

[ 10-29-2012, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: glm1111 ]

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

P. S. Just talked my neighbor into taking in her patio set. WHEW! [bonk]

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
shoot...just replyed...lost power and it is gone. i am in nh 20 min from coast and kinda scared. my one son is in asbury nj and ok...my other son in chicago wants to surf 20' waves on lake michigan...grrrr. he better not. and my other son in upstate ny is ready to bail out the house.

i have neighbors that will llook after me. be safe all

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

OY! Wind is HOWLING past my windows! I have a sheet of heavy duty plastic the BF and I plan to tape over them - just in case!

Gotta say, I've been in a few hurricanes, but this one has stronger gusts than I ever remember!

Wooooo! Just had a power flash - have lost internet connection at least 8 times in the last 2 hours when that happens! Luckily this one held.

Gotta say for Glm111 in the high rise in Philly - GOOD for YOU for teaching your neighbor how to put on her "big girl panties!" My building super is from Cuba, talented guy who works for PSE&G - but I tried to get him to move the "kitchen set" he uses for a picnic table LAST YEAR when Irene came through. Left a message on his voice mail this morning ... and now the damned table is knocking against the wall with every major gust! Grrr!

You have my sympathies glm!!! You are in the direct path!! May God bless and protect everyone who is hunkered down in this storm!

Latest report:
Atlantic City under water - the entire city.
A big chunk of the "historic" boardwalk is washed out to sea.

The marina at Watch Hill, Rhode Island was under a foot of water, while it was still daylight.

A Crane aside a 120 story building in NYC got pushed over.

NYC subways closed since midnight last night.
GW Bridge, Battery Tunnel, Queenboro bridge - closed at 7 pm tonight.

Wind gusts to 90 mph should go on HERE (north jersey) 'til 6 PM tomorrow.

But a SMALL MIRACLE Poppy! The post office was open for long enough this morning for me to get my court papers out!! (And yes - her current idiot neuro has diagnosed Mom with "AZ-like dementia." I spent the last 2 pages of the filing, educating the court, 3 lawyers, and my idiot family about Advanced Labs, Igenex, co-infections, IDSA/ILADS and Senator Richard Blumenthal.

Oh and BTW, I wound it up by saying that Mom is "living proof" that chronic Lyme exists - because I attached a doc's report that said she was given 6 weeks of doxycycline in the summer of 2008 - and that same doctor's practice later administered a Spinal Tap that was POSITIVE for Borrelia, in May of 2009!

Came across that report by sheer accident a few weeks ago - sometimes the Lord works in mysterious ways. [bow]

Typing as fast as I can - because I expect to lose power ... prolly for days.

May God bless us, every one!

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Gael.. that happened in Houston once. It was really really bad. I hope no one is walking the streets when the glass breaks!!!!

Praying for all of you!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

glm1111
Member # 16556

Auntylynn,

Great work on your court filings and being a strong voice for your mother. Please stay safe and keep us posted when you can.

tutu,

WALKING in the streets REALLY??

With these kind of winds you mean flying by don't you? [lol] Can't imagine anyone dumb enough to go out in this. No, wait, yes I can.

Carol and Andie, you aren't far from me, stay safe and everyone else in the path of this storm.

Lots of Hugs

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I know, Gael... if they are walking they are BIG trouble. I hope no one has to be out there. I guess the flooding will keep most away, but there are always the dummies who think storms are fun.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

MamaBear11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MamaBear11   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on the coast in CT. We had to evacuate: good thing we did because the whole downtown area is completely under water.

And that was hours before high tide.

No idea when we'll be able to go home...

--------------------
Untreated Lyme for 25+ years.
Two kids, too much pain & fatigue, no hope of ever being able to treat.

Posts: 310 | From Northeast | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stay safe everyone.
Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thinking of you all this am and wondering how you weathered the night.

I did hear that thousands of New Yorkers were without power so assume it is more now and in other states.

I can't imagine having to clean up the water damage after flooding.

Wondering if home owners or renters insurance helps with that??

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momindeep
Member # 7618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momindeep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope our East Coast friends can check in...if not, we are plugging for you!
Posts: 1512 | From Glenwood City WI | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PatriotM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38493

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PatriotM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AuntyLynn:
Yeah - the big blow is headed right our way. I was up and out to the stores at 10:15 Sat., only to find the local grocery was sold out of water, flashlights and almost all batteries already. Well, I have batteries, actually ... (Couldn't get out on Friday as I was trying to finalize a major court document. Ugh!)

...Started searching for a battery operated Coleman lantern online most of Friday morning (as battery rot ruined my old standby!) ... but GUESS WHAT - NO ONE ...not Sears, not Home Depot, K Mart or Walmart, sells these "campers supplies" from the floor anymore - it's ALL INTERNET ORDERS! (Delivery by November 4th! Yeah, that does me a lotta good!) So a word to the not-so-wise, (like me).

Too bad the executives at these places never gave a thought to stocking shelves for EMERGENCIES! I bet if I had a truckload of these lanterns right now, I could sell hundreds of 'em from any street corner! Idiots!

This incident is a good wake-up call for everyone that is not prepared. Storms, earthquakes, sunamis, and even solar flares occur with regularity. Obviously, the chance of a nuclear or EMP attack by terrorists (or terrorist governments) is also a very real possibility.

Grocery stores typically only have a 3 day supply of food and other items UNDER NORMAL CONDITIONS and rely on "just in time" delivery to keep the shelves stocked.

The point is that in a REAL EMERGENCY (such as EMP, Solar Flare, major sunami, major earthquake on New Madrid Fault, economic collapse, etc) it is imperative that you are prepared in advance (as FEMA recommends). At a minimum, you need water, food, MEDICINE, and some way to protect yourself (guns and ammo).

The DOD did a study which concluded that after an EMP attack or major solar event, 95% of the American people would die within one year BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT PREPARED.

Posts: 177 | From Ohio | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MannaMe
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are okay. Have a couple big branches down to clean up. Electricity was off a few hours overnight.
Posts: 2252 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are fine too. I feel blessed after seeing the footage of the storm.
Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Ok here in Philly. The storm seemed to hit the burbs a little worse. My sister in Allentown lost power last night.

We were very lucky here. Feel so bad for folks in Jersey and New York. Hope othere will check in soon.

Thanks lymenet family for caring.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

Lymetoo
Member # 743

So glad!! I'm worrried about lpkayak in NH. And her son lives near the beach in NJ.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

glm1111
Member # 16556

I hear ya! What about Auntylynn in Jersey? Hope Ip and her son are okay. So nerve wracking.
Hope others here check in soon

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

AHOY!

Six days without power in 40 degree nights ... and on the 7th Day, the internet/PHONE were restored - only to die 2 hours later! Up again Monday at 9:00 AM (Thank God - because legal battle ensued regarding court date changes ... I PREVAILED! [Wink] )... and DOWN Again last night at 6:00 PM! Grrrr...

The winds were INCREDIBLE here Monday night! One major gust sent something hard against the window, and another one came on with SUCH Force that you'd swear someone PUNCHED the window with their fist! BF convinced me though, that the plastic sheeting was not necessary ... but he did move his chair away from that wall for me!

Then just about 10 PM... the power cut out, refrigerator groaned to a halt, and we were living by candlelight (and later, a DANDY little crank radio/flashlight combo Santa that brought from LLBean a coupla years ago) ... until 8 PM Saturday night! You know, after 9/11, I swore I would never get a cell phone, because only LAND LINES were working at all, with the damage and the volume ... but this is the SECOND TIME in a YEAR that Ma Bell has failed me, and I can't tell you how PO'ed I was to be without a phone to call for an emergency situation .. IN an emergency!

Gave Verizon a small piece of my mind today, when I reported that my phone/internet are DYING every night around 6PM ... and that their pole next to my assigned parking space, is listing like a drunken sailor!

Allow me to back up ... when we lost power, neighbors in the building started gathering by the window at the end of my hallway. The guy across the hall told us "there's a wire down on the back lawn." Winds were howling so no one cared to go outside to investigate.

Surprisingly, when Sandy hit the shoreline in Atlantic City, she GAINED SPEED - by about twice her former track ... so by noon on Tuesday, it seemed safe to venture out. We had really little in the way of rain, as opposed to what one might usually expect, so my GF down the road who lives by a brook was relieved to report that her basement was miraculously dry!

So we walk outside and I say to D .. "the telephone pole by my car is tilted - why?" then we get around the building and he says: "OMG it's a good thing I didn't park at my usual space last night!" (Storms/emergencies, there's no street parking allowed and one must use a municipal lot.)

ONE LOOK and I could see a huge old (Elm) tree had been pushed over into the street - barely missing the greenhouse where I worked last summer - and taking down TWO telephone poles in the process! The upper branches of the tree were resting just in front of the porch of the house across the street - so luckily, they were spared! But ... what a MESS!

Turns out, there was a guideline from the second broken pole, to the pole in our "back yard" ... and then another from the broken pole across the parking lot, to the pole next to my parking space. There is a big gap around this pole in the dirt ... about 2 feet deep! So I know that when that tree went, it yanked and pulled those two guideline poles back and forth, but they DID hold up - instead of dropping in MY car!

We were both just so blessed!

Tree crews arrived on Friday and chopped that sucker up in less than 2 hours. Then on Saturday morning, about 9 AM an eleven man crew from Blue Belle PENNSYLVANIA showed up and worked straight through 'til just after 5PM. They replaced the two poles (which was quite a project). And round about 8 PM - VOILA! Let there be light! [Smile]

Unfortunately, the heat and hot water didn't get restored until late the next day ... as our brain-dead building superintendant went AWOL with his family for two days! (BTW, it's State Law here that a super has to be present, or "on call" 24/7 ... so his smartass is now grass.)

Funny, we had just been up to Whole Foods Market on Thursday evening ... and saw a fleet of bucket and utility trucks gathered to park in that huge lot. So I asked the BF to drive over as guys were pulling in for the night ... and when we stopped by a group to yak, we learned THEY were from ALABAMA! [Smile] We gave them a big thank you and a God Bless ... and they asked us for directions to the hotel they would be staying at in Newark. (ugh!) But I assured them it was only 10-15 minutes away.

So Thanks ... a MILLION thanks ... to the guys who answered the call to patch up our broken electrical system! And THANKS to their families, who are "doing without" their men - until God knows when!

Luckily, I found I had stowed away some extra C cells for my mini boom box, and that kept us in the loop with NY radio. But when you see the photos of the Jersey Shore ... it's pretty shocking. What happened in lower Manhattan, and Staten Island is really heartbreaking ... and I keep those families in my prayers. Now that I have a respite from my legal issues (a 1 month postponement of the Hearing Date, which actually, the JUDGE set while I was out of the loop) ... maybe I can lend a hand to offer some relief to others.

We have another NOR'EASTER headed up here Wednesday! And damn ... it was COLD here last night!

Has anyone heard from Ipkayak?
I sure hope her son didn't live near the shoreline in Asbury Park.

So today, I'm going to check out the gas lines ... as Govornor "Crispie Creme" has enacted an odd/even license plate requirement for odd/even days to buy gas. Then I need to do a significant grocery cop. We were real lucky to find ice when my two frozen bottles finally went warm ... I made a big pot of clam chowda, then some sloppy Joes; pancakes & eggs got us through just fine. (But people were cramming the few restaurants that were open around here.)

And THEN, I'm going out to cast my VOTE!
And I surely HOPE that everyone on these boards will feel well enough to do the same!

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Thanks for the report, Aunty! Glad all is OK NOW! Going thru all that is exhausting, I'm sure!!!

Kayak is fine. Her son is OK, but I know he was staying with friends due to his house or apartment being damaged. I'm not sure where he is located.

Enjoy your heat and electricity!! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Good to be back Lymetoo!

Actually, since I made that post... phone/internet went down for about another half hour. OY! I HOPE this means the repairmen did something with it, after my call this morning.

Yeah, it HAS BEEN exhausting! As soon as they fixed the circuit breakers, I did three loads of laundry! (Did the same just before the storm ... but damp towels do NOT dry in cold damp air ugh!)

Just reading over on the other post when I lost contact.

Glad to hear Kayak is fine ... her son lives in Asbury Park, near all the shore damage, he's very lucky to have a home at all.

LabRat
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LabRat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aunty, glad your all together and safe. Have you any information on conditions around Smithtown LI. I'm waiting on a friend to check in but haven't heard anything.
Posts: 1887 | From Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Thanks LabRat!

We're facing another nor'easter tomorrow - which will likely bring the first snow of the year. (sigh).

Smithtown (Long Island) looks like a lovely place (on the north shore). Also looks like they had some serious power outages, trees down and the like. Here is a Sandy Page from the town website.

http://www.smithtownny.gov/AlertCenter.aspx?AID=IMPORTANT-Hurricane-Sandy-Update-5

Hope your friends are OK!

glm1111
Member # 16556

AuntyLynn,

So glad you're okay. Hope this nor'easter coming won't hit too hard. Sorry, you had to go through this turmoil.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here comes the rain and wind... Not too bad yet, just creepy and depressing in Island Heights

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Take care, everyone!!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Thanks Gael. But the cold nights and the incessant extra chores were nothing - compared to what way too many have suffered here. I'm thanking my lucky stars.

Big fluffy snowflakes streaming past my window now.

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi guys...ive been busy with new docs and rotator cuff problem but also with a great friend who is repairing gutters and other house problems

it has been cold and cloudy but snow is not hitting the ground yet...soon they say.

i did the 2 hr drive to vote-that was easy up...but dark and dodging moose on the way home

my son is only a few blocks north of asbury...i think his mail goes to asbury. he is 3-4 blocks in from ocean. his neighborhood has large grassy lots...so that helped hold water back...but the water-table comes up-his sump-pump doesnt work without power. they still dont have power. he might go back home to manually keep water out of cellar. after sandy they were both ok and house was ok. hope their luck holds.

when i was there i was one town south of belmar and i just saw on the weather channel belmar really got hit. i cant contact any of the people i knew there. they were 3 short blocks from ocean...but that town has big bucks and they put a lot into building dunes to protect the town...hope they are ok.

so aunty-did the new part of asbury get messed up?

im just chillin right now. i hate narcotic pain meds...hardly ever use them...but i really need them for awhile

be safe everyone

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They should be fine today. The Seaside area got about 7 inches of snow, and I'm at work in Red Bank since 8:30 and there's a bit less here - maybe 4-5 inches.

So no rain, barely any wind, and tons of wet heavy snow, that knocked down power lines and many trees. The main highway where I live once again had no power to traffic lights. I finally got my power back on Monday evening at home, so almost 8 days without it, and thankful I did not lose it again last night.

The snow will hinder the massive cleanup going on right now. I hope they plow quickly. But temps are supposed to return to 50 tomorrow and 60 on Saturday, so this white stuff shouldn't stick around too long.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Ipkayak -

Glad to hear you are ok (wow, that was quite a drive to vote!)... and that your son seems to have largely stayed out of the way of harm.

Here is the Star Ledger, NJ's largest newspaper - and its page on Asbury Park. There is a photo feature at the left column. I also note there is a community blog - which may be informative for you.

http://www.nj.com/asbury-park/

Of course, many folks in Jersey and the burbs of Manhattan are still out of power. Here is the Star Ledger's front page:

http://www.nj.com/

Go to "local news" at the top of the page to find sections on counties/townships. Asbury Park and Belmar are in Monmouth County.

As far as I heard, a substantial part of the Asbury Park boardwalk was damaged. Apparently a recently built "new" section, that featured a platform for popular summer concerts, was washed away. I believe the casino pier was flooded as well - which is an historic building - but still standing.

Hope this helps you.

AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Asbury is under the Ocean County section.

We have very fond memories of Island Beach State Park. As a displaced New Englander, it's the one Jersey beach I have seen that most resembles the Cape Cod shoreline.

IMHO, if Mr. Christie were SMART, he'd take this opportunity to make the Jersey Shore more "public" - like the California coastline.

Since a lot of the "honky tonk" boardwalk scene has been washed away ... why not EXPAND the stretch to be more like a State Preserve? ... something like Island Beach State Park? (Just south of Seaside Park/Heights.)

It would mean a much lower investment (that will only be placed at risk in the next storm), and more natural shoreline for "public access!" In fact, Island Beach State Park is so popular now, that the last two times we tried to visit (on a summer Saturday), the 2 parking lots were filled by 10:00 AM, and we were denied entry.

We were bitterly disappointed, after our 2 hour drive on the Garden State summer Parking Lot!

Then, we were fleeced for a "beach badge" at a neighboring town beach - whose "bouncers" made us leave our coolers near their checkpoint in the dunes. (Which diminished our enjoyment - to have to walk back for a cold drink or a sandwich!)

In California, it is STATE LAW that NO ONE CAN BUILD within (about) 100 yards of the coastline. This means anyone could walk freely along the water, conceivably from San Francisco to San Diego if they wanted to - as the shoreline is considered "public property."

This struck me as an amazing concept; one that greatly enhanced my vision of California!

There, if you want amusement rides and honky tonk games, you go to an amusement park - and the peace and beauty of the shoreline is not sullied. (By sights and smells I shouldn't describe, that are commonly found at the "Jersey Shore." Sorry, but I gotta tell it like it is.)

Misquamicut Beach in Westerly Rhode Island had the same kind of atmosphere, years ago; until the Hurricane of '55 washed all that flotsam away. The State declared public sovereignty, and built a huge modern bathhouse with a snack bar, and an enormous parking lot. You could rent picnic tables by the hour (free of charge - just reserve) that were perched atop the dunes.

Misquamicut State Beach was the "go to" place for a lot of New Englanders in the days of my childhood - an inexpensive 'family place' - and it is still just as beautiful today. If you want to take a short hike down the surfline, you can still find a bar, or a shoreline dinner, an historic merry-go-round, and a ferris wheel or bumper cars; but this area is sequestered out of earshot, from those who just want to soak up some sun and the surf.

I think that with the growing population of the tri-state area, the Jersey Legislature and local shoreline townships would do very well to consider this type of option. Expand the recreational opportunities, and State revenue, without displacing businesses that could still operate beyond the dunes. Just my 2 cents.

beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aunty Lynn, since you're talking about beaches, I just have to chime in LOL. I love love love beaches.

I have been to so many all along the east coast as well as those in CA, HI and the Caribbean. So yeah, I'm an authority according to me 

I do think Gov. Christie is smart. I personally think he did the right thing by NJ and don't understand whatsoever the criticism directed his way from his party by appropriately acknowledging the President for his help. And gotta give him credit for stating that he has direct access to the Democratic prez. That's the way it SHOULD BE in a disaster of this magnitude.

I found Christie's reaction to the devastation in his state to be sincere and heartfelt. When he was in Seaside he looked at a ride and made a remark that he had gone on it with one of his kids this past summer. It was obviously a somewhat emotional moment for him. Cuomo on the other hand, well don't even get me started (``I'm from a place called Queens and there's a place called Brooklyn...'' Yeah, because no one's ever heard of those places).

I enjoyed reading your memories about Island Beach State Park in NJ and Misquamicut Beach in RI. It reminded me of similar memories of mine at Rockaway Beach and Jones Beach in NY and Wildwood Crest in NJ.

I am off-put by beach tag fees. But then again, I'm not totally opposed to paying a modest parking fee to gain entrance to an awesome beach.

I have always loved the honky-tonk dives, the old merry-go-rounds, the custard places, the hot-dog dives, the boardwalk rides and games, despite the ripoffs (but I beat them EVERY single time in that balloon dart game as well as the ``guess-my-age'' game-HA!).

As for beaches, I will tell you that ``The Hamptons'' in NY is the most boring place for middle-class people, maybe b/c most people are not invited to the infamous parties.

We stayed there a few years ago for a few days. I refused to pay $30 for a plate of pasta. I calculated the boxes of pasta I could buy and cook for 30 bucks and could not justify ordering anything on the menu. Hubs was a bit mortified but he's used to me by now.

The Hamptons do not have a boardwalk to speak of or any honky-tonk rides or games. It's boring and bland! This ia not the Jersey Shore!

Oh and you will surely read about those great Hampton beaches. I'm here to tell you that the surf there is very rough and the water is very cold. No boogy-boarding there for my kids and no walks on a calm beach. Plus you'll have to pay for the privilege of putting your foot on the sand. Thanks, but no thanks.

As for CA, the beaches consist of mud from SF to LA pretty much. We drove down the coast from SF to LA years ago. I was so very underwhelmed by Monterey and Carmel, which I did not expect at all. The best thing we saw was the Mission in Carmel. We stayed at a place in Pismo Beach. The hotel was magnificent. Me, the beach person, investigated Pismo Beach. I had to go down numerous steps. The beach was basically mud. Very few people were on this so-called beach. The water was too cold and too rough.

As we continued our drive down the coast we wanted to see Malibu. I can't even begin to tell you how unimpressed I was. I expected to be blown away, given the media coverage of Malibu. I'd sooner stay in a Motel 6 on any Interstate. It was that bad.

But the beaches in San Diego are so good! One of my best memories is of my family gathering there. San Diego is one of my favorite cities. If I could relocate, I'd move there in a minute.

We used to go to Cape Cod every year. I so enjoyed the shops in Hyannis and all the little antique stores along 35. Hubby and the kids enjoyed the bumper cars and I relish the memories of seeing my then two-year-old jumping happily away on the in-ground indoor trampolines.

And Chatham, we loved going there too to just walk around and explore the shops. I got tired of not having the kids being able to boogie board in the harsh ocean beaches of Cape Cod.

And as for Hawaii, nothing in the Caribbean can match it IMO.

We've been to Myrtle Beach and Charleston and loved both cities. But they're way too humid for our taste.

We've been to Ocean City, Maryland too, and my initial thought was that it was Manhattan on the beach.

But getting back to home and reality, I will say that the Wildwoods and Cape May in NJ are my favorite beaches hands-down. What's not to like?

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

I agree with you regarding Govna Christie and the Storm ... He and the Prez got a handle on it RIGHT AWAY as far as I could see, and it was really refreshing to see a little "bipartisan cooperation" for a change - as was absolutely necessary to respond to the needs of so many thousands who were displaced or without life's basics. No doubt he has an emotional connection with the Jersey shore as it was... and I'm sure thousands here feel the same way. But to me, that kind of carnival entertainment is a little sleazy. OK a merry-go-round or ferris wheel for the kids - but do we really need hawkers touting dime store prizes when we're walking along the beach? I sure don't. I'd far prefer to wander through the shops at Chatham or Nantucket Town on a warm summer's night, and maybe stop for an ice-cream sundae in a tall glass. But hey, that's me.

As for Mr. Christie's political critics, well - what else can we expect from that crowd?

I've been to Hawaii too (Oahu) - thought the sunshine, the daily rainbows as well as the forests were fabulous - the color of the water "Blue Hawaii" is certainly no exaggeration - breathtaking! But I was not so impressed with the beach at Waikiki, as the surf breaks too far out and rolls in as foam - not the best for someone who LOVES to body surf! But my climb up the side of Paradise Falls was something I will remember all my life ... as well as a private dip in the icy pool beneath it.

As far as my Carribean travels ...

Bermuda was lovely but a little too stuffy. Got stung by a jellyfish tentacle walking the edge of the water on one of their famous "pink sand beaches" - which kinda put a damper on the afternoon. (Great freeport shopping though.)

Aruba was perhaps a bit underdeveloped when I saw it. The water was a lovely aquamarine, but too still for any fun - and the sand so sugary fine, it just got everywhere. Other than that, it was little more than a barren goat hill with a few casinos.

But lovely Antiqua - that would be my pick for a return trip, any time. Enough deep blue surf to make things interesting, on uncrowded expanses with perfect sunshine for bronzing ... and a British historical heritage that made for some interesting sidetrips. Natives were highly devout, and very friendly. A glass-bottomed boat/snorkel trip offered amazing interaction with tropical fish - and my first taste of 151 rum "punch" that had potential for lethal.

Haven't set foot on the northern Cali beaches. But San Francisco, IMHO is the most beautiful American City I have ever seen.

However, the Orange County Parks (south of L.A.) of "Beach Boys" surfing fame, were VERY impressive to me! Plenty of soft sand and Huge waves that even set this New England girl on her guard a bit ... but the weekday crowd there was friendly and helpful, and I'd go back in a New York minute.

As for the south shore areas of Jersey - we did North Wildwood, and didn't see the attraction at all. The water was a quarter mile from the boardwalk! We liked Avalon for the beach, but it was quite a drive from our B&B and since it is so far out in the ocean, the water was cold. We thought Cape May was picturesque, with its street after street of well kept Victorian Homes, but it didn't exactly seem like a great beach destination.

Cape Cod is visually breathtaking. And the National Shoreline that runs the final sweeping arm of the Cape, from its elbow at Chatham and the Monomoy Islands, is exactly the kind of preservation we should be doing for ALL of our National Parks. You can drive for miles and see dune after pristine dune in the distance, with the sparkling Atlantic just beyond. It is absolutely gorgeous! And one might imagine that the Pilgrims thought they had reached the promised land, when they first sailed into Cape Cod Bay. Yes, the water IS COLD, even in August - but that's why the seals like to hang out there! So if you want to do some serious swimming, you need to pick a spot along the Nantucket Sound, where the water is warmed in the "bath tub" of the bay.

My biggest beef with the Cape is that you can't get dinner Anywhere there, after 9:00 PM! This seemed ridiculous to metropolitan folks who come from the land of the all-night diner! But apparently this schedule fits the local "family values" and gets their college-aged summer help home at a "decent" time. But if you think you can linger over a summer sunset at the Three Sisters Lighthouse, then grab a plate of fried clams ... fogeddaboutit.

I was blessed to have spent more than my fair share of time on Nantucket Island - and always will hold the memories of that beautiful place tucked deep within my heart, 'til my final dream.

[ 11-10-2012, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: AuntyLynn ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement