LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Processed foods linked to auto-immune

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Processed foods linked to auto-immune
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://preventdisease.com/news/13/030713_Scientists-Officially-Link-Processed-Foods-To-Autoimmune-Disease.shtml

I have found this to be true for me:

--"In the latest study, scientists discovered that exposing these cells in a lab to a table salt solution made them act more 'aggressively.'

They found that mice fed a diet high in refined salts saw a dramatic increase in the number of Th17 cells in their nervous systems that promoted inflammation."

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Thanks for that article to help hit home that it's because the salt (and so much more) has been altered. Bet they would not see this with a good quality sea or "earth" salt.

They have to mess with mother nature to box and sell it at a higher price, and we all pay much more in the long run.

Sigh. I wish they would look at all the food additives and alterations but we've all known for a long time that if it is processed, it likely stopped being food when they started to mess with it.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Keebler:

-
we've all known for a long time that if it is processed, it likely stopped being food when they started to mess with it.
-

-
Yes, indeed.. as evidenced here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=031802;p=0

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=029690;p=0

Excitotoxins; MSG; Aspartame; & "Natural" Flavors;

GMO foods that destroy the GI Tract; Gluten; Dairy.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it's the salt, I think it's the wheat/gluten in all the processed food. Everything has wheat in it!
Posts: 631 | From the south | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/04/health/chemical-heart-disease/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Household chemical linked to heart disease - Perfluorooctanoic acid, or PFOA.

By Amanda Gardner, Health.com -- September 4, 2012
A chemical used in the manufacture of common household products -- such as some food packaging, carpets, paint, and nonstick cookware -- may be associated with an increased risk of heart disease, a new study suggests.
The chemical, perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), is present in trace amounts in up to 98% of Americans. Previous research has linked PFOA exposure to unhealthy cholesterol levels and other risk factors for heart disease, . . .

. . . The study, which was published this week in the Archives of Internal Medicine, was based on data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, a large government health survey conducted annually. . . .

- Full article at link above.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
girl,

Goog point about the study not being perfectly clear, and even stopping short on all it could be revealing, I think.

However, processed table salt can be very toxic, too, as it is no longer true salt, the way our body needs it.

Still, the gluten and all that goes through can have profound effects, as well.

Sea salt is best but by the time the salt is added to "processed foods" it is no longer what it was intended to be. Even worse, all those folks in so many regular doctors offices who are told to stop salt can then become deficient in the minerals from true salt because they are never told the difference.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Just found this as I went to a news site:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57575657/pre-packaged-foods-for-toddlers-too-high-in-sodium-says-study/

By Ryan Jaslow - CBS News/ March 21, 2013

Pre-packaged foods for toddlers too high in sodium, says study

Video: 1:34 Scroll down for text.

NO mention made about the KIND of salt - or the fact that packaged foods are just best totally avoided (as much as possible).

The woman interviewed knows this, "I go straight to the vegetable aisle. That way I know" (exactly what's in the food). (end quote)

Still - they should talk about sea salt and how we do need some. To go without salt can destroy the adrenal system. We MUST have some good salt each day, each morning, especially. But this message is getting lost.
-

girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I might try adding a pinch to some water each day and/or adding mineral water to the diet. [Smile]
Posts: 631 | From the south | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by girl:
I don't think it's the salt, I think it's the wheat/gluten in all the processed food. Everything has wheat in it!

-
Could be a big factor, plus all the chemicals. Table salt is really rough on me.

I use Real Salt or Himalayan salt.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18022

Here's a good article. I really like these people. "Epidemic Answers"

http://www.epidemicanswers.org/why-do-1-in-50-children-have-autism-now/#

emla999/Lyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emla999/Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the brighter side, those findings would seem to indicate that eating sodium chloride (salt) could potentially increase your body's ability to fight infections because eating salt can dramatically increase the body's production of T Helper 17 cells. And Th17 cells help our body to fight off infections.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/03/130306134358.htm

A few quotes from that article:

Salt dramatically boosts the induction of aggressive Th17 immune cells.

"In cell culture experiments the researchers showed that increased sodium chloride can lead to a dramatic induction of Th17 cells in a specific cytokine milieu."

The article said that they used sodium chloride in that study and they may have possibly used a very pure reagent grade of sodium chloride for that study.

And since sea salt contains about 98% sodium chloride I would have to guess that the sodium chloride found in sea salt would also increase the production of Th17 cells.

Although, the authors of that study seem to think that increasing your body's production of Th17 cells may lead to an overly active immune sytem which in turn may lead to an increase in autoimmune diseases.

Posts: 1223 | From U.S.A | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement