LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Another reason to keep copies of your medical records/tests

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Another reason to keep copies of your medical records/tests
dogmom2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dogmom2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just found out my llmd is no longer at the office i go to. He still is at another office about 1/2 hr away.

Since my records are the property of the 1st office, i would have to pay around $80 to have my rather large medical file copied and sent there.

They won't allow me just to come pick it up and drive it to the new place either. Geez. this is the same place that made me pay for another initial eval,over $500, when my 1st doc from there left.

I do have most of my test results at least. so just a heads up for others who may find themselves(hopefully not) in the same position.

Posts: 857 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very true!! We had to change PCP's one time when our old one moved. He only transferred about 2-3 pages of notes and info to my new file at my new Dr. I saw it and was shocked!

(we had been going to this old DR for several years)

So, I keep all records. My new Dr is very compliant about making copies for me as needed.

I think ANYTIME you move or change Drs you will have to pay for them to copy your records and they will not always be willing to copy everything.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get a copy of every test result but you are right, if you want to take the record with you they charge by the page.

It does depend on the doctor. Some are really good about it.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...they aren't allowed to deny you a copy of your records. Granted they may make you pay but you are legally entitled to your own copy! Depending on state laws, there may be a limit on how much they are allowed to charge you per page.

Make sure you make the request in writing and say to have them sent to you.

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, you can get them, but not free. Not when it's several hundred pages.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this whole medical records ting is such a crock

the docs dont look at you or touch you anymore. they just type. tthen even when they do send the records the new doc cant find anything or cant even open tests

the answer to my not being able to walk was in a test in jan..but doc couldnt open it...

this drives me crazy!!!! now he knows whats going on but cant see me til the end of may

and hes not even an llmd...just a surgeon

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

That's crazy, kayak! But I know what you mean, these computers have them typing the whole time!

My PCP is hands on if he needs to be, thank goodness.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cha-ching!

I personally don't care about individual doc notes. Heck, who can decipher them anyway? And what other doc would even be willing to read them?

What I DO care about are all lab/x-ray/CT, etc. results and reports.

I always get my hands on those as soon as they're available and put them in my binder so they can be readily copied for other docs.

The irony is that this is so easy to do with conventional docs. LLMDs not so much.

And I've found that by requesting lab results on a regular basis lowers/eliminates cost.

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh and yes, kayak, I do find it very annoying when docs are typing during the whole visit.

Our LLMD has taken to doing this recently. Geez, talk to me and take notes and enter data AFTER the visit. I'm paying you an arm and a leg afterall!

My PCP has also taken to doing this recently too. But he actually spends a lot of time with me away from the keyboard. And he takes insurance! So his interaction with the computer is much more acceptable to me.

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taking notes after the visit means s/he is more likely to make mistakes. With all the patients your doctor sees, you think s/he is going to remember accurately who has what symptoms and what is going on with whom?

MY doc doesn't use the computer but she writes everything down during the appt. I actually think I would be more upset if my doc wasn't taking notes. But that is just me.

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't get a copy of my son's HLA test results from his former Dr.

Labcorp won't give us a copy either.

Something's wrong when I'm responsible for the lab charge for the test and now can't get the actual test result.

I got a copy of my Neurology office visit notes and was shocked to see lots of negative results to tests that were never done (ex. negative Romberg, when I can't pass that test to save my life).

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

My LLMD always sent his patients the original copy of test results, keeping the copy for himself.

He mailed the originals to us. I thought that was super!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
My LLMD always sent his patients the original copy of test results, keeping the copy for himself.

He mailed the originals to us. I thought that was super!

He sounds like a keeper!

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In some states there is a law that says a lab must give the patient a copy of test results if they request it.

Not all states have this. Where I used to live, the hospital lab where I got my tests done with lab order from out of state doc, they never gave me any trouble with getting copy of results. Just had to sign some release form.

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

I'm so jealous of people in the states that have that law, poppy.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Ethically, they have to give it to you, lax mom. How can they refuse and keep you as a patient?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lax mom
Member # 38743

Good idea OptiMisTick! I need to have the 2nd office request it, instead of myself.

I have lost my dag on mind! This isn't my thread. (I just realized that) I need serious help with this brain fog [Frown]

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

OptiMisTick
Member # 399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OptiMisTick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW "some people" who have a test request, pick a color of ink similar to what was used on the request, and at the bottom write "copy to patient" and some illegible initials.

Then when the patient goes to the lab, they say "Oh yes, my doctor said I could get results sent directly to me, here is my address...."

Others just simply instruct the Lab to send them a copy. Sometimes they say "well you have to fill out a request for that" and then they try to get busy drawing your blood and hoping you will forget (extra work for them) and sometimes you DO forget.

So put a postit on your hand or write on your hand or something - at the conclusion ASK for the request to have test results sent to your home directly.

Be nice about it, kind of humorous, say "this will save those nice office ladies the extra work, they are so kind and so over worked, I hate to ask them to make copies for me when this is much more efficient!"

It works!! You will get the copies to your house before your next appointment and can read the results on line and make your questions ready for the doctor, one reason they don't LIKE us to get our results ahead of them!! HA!

But really, it makes you less of a problem child in the doctor's office if you are not always having to ask for copies.

Posts: 1338 | From Above the Clouds | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here in texas, labcorp and another one, cna't remember, have always told me no i can't have test results.

they say i have to get them from a doctor and if he says no i don't get them at all.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

quote:
Originally posted by randibear:
here in texas, labcorp and another one, cna't remember, have always told me no i can't have test results.

they say i have to get them from a doctor and if he says no i don't get them at all.

But you are responsible for paying for the tests! Makes no sense!

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

philly78
Member # 31069

Um...it IS the law for the doctor to provide you with a copy of your medical records and this includes test results. They cannot tell you no. This is federal law and applies in all states.

--------------------

beaches
Member # 38251

Excellent advice optimistick! I will have to remember that next time around.

Also, FYI, if you have your labs drawn at your local hospital as opposed to say, Quest or Labcorp, you have a better shot at getting the results directly from them.

I did this recently. All I had to do was go to the medical records department personally and show them my ID.

Prior to that, over the phone, they tried to push back. I said, hey anytime I have a CT scan or MRI or x-ray the tech informs me I can get a copy of my films so WHY can't I get a copy of lab results???

They didn't have an answer to a logical question. So I got copies of lab results and that was that.

Guess what? From now on I'm going to the local hospital for labwork.

And YES! YOU HAVE A LEGAL RIGHT TO YOUR LAB/OTHER RESULTS!

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by philly78:
Um...it IS the law for the doctor to provide you with a copy of your medical records and this includes test results. They cannot tell you no. This is federal law and applies in all states.

-
That's what I thought!

And if you Dr won't give you a copy of test results, fire him/her!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

beaches
Member # 38251

But before you fire him/her get your records!

Write a letter requesting them.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement