LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Got a shelter dog to keep Jasper company

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Got a shelter dog to keep Jasper company
nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a wonderful 7 year old border collie today at the shelter. They said her previous owner was sick and could not take care of her. It made me think of many of us. I hope she is not too sad away from her previous owner. She was just turned in yesterday.

Jasper, my 4 month old half mastiff puppy needed company. I felt bad leaving him, to go anywhere as he is very sociable and gets very lonely. This meant I didn't go anywhere and that was hard.

The new dog is named Jessie but that sounds so close to Jasper, his nick name being Jazz, that I think we might slightly alter her name to Chessie (although I really like Jessie better).

I love her already. She is very good with the cats, sits when I tell her too and is very careful if I feed her food from my hand. She is extremely skinny so I hope she will gain weight. She must not have ever had canned food before because she does not want to eat it.

She was very excited to get a piece of turkey lunch meat. She had not had cheese before and was afraid to put it into her mouth but once she tried it, she was hooked.

She loves the squeaky toys. Her eyes light up when she hears that sound. I am excited to have her. Border collies are supposed to be very smart. I have 8 horses and I bet she is a big help rounding them up out of pasture. I like to photograph them and she can help get them moving for that too.

I hope she and Jasper becomes good friends. He wants to play with her but she has been more interested in checking out her new surrounding. Now they are both sleeping. She was very pleased to discover an unoccupied bed on the floor.

I anguished over this for weeks - and I feel I went in the perfect day and got the perfect dog.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A BORDER COLLIE!!!!!!!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!! We have to have photos!!!! [Smile]

We had a beloved border collie many years ago and we will never forget him. He was beautiful and YES... SMART!

PS.. Please don't feed her junk! [Frown]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my goodness! Growing up we had several border collies. They are such loving dogs!

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our border collie died in 1989 and sometimes I still dream about him! [Smile] I cherish those dreams.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She is settling in very nicely. Don't worry Lymetoo, I don't have any junk food around to give them. I buy Blue Buffalo dog food which is a really good brand.

I don't think she has ever had free access to food because at first she was very possessive of it. She wanted to just sit and guard the bowl. I picked it up several times but now she seems to be ok as there are two full bowls. She is very thin so I hope she gains weight. You can feel every rib.

She and Jasper are beginning to pal around. He is very interested in her. I have a screen with magnets so they can go in and out as they please. She likes that. She found a bed on the floor and claimed it as her own - she is a bit bossy. Jasper doesn't mind as he prefers the couch anyway.

She is giving me LOTS of kisses. She is SO SWEET. She doesn't bother the cats at all. She just wags her tail and gently sniffs them.

She can sit and lie down on command. I said outside and she ran to the door. I wonder what else she understands.

This shelter does not euthanize dogs. They are so kind there and keep all the dogs until they have a home although some of them are there a very long time. Although they get out for walks and attention several times a day, most of their lives are spent in concrete kennels.

It was hard to walk through there and not take all of them. I can still see their lonely eyes. Luckily most of them are bad with cats so there was no way I could consider them.

I just went down half of the first row, picked out two dogs and then tested them on cats. The one that didn't try to kill the cat came home with me. I just totally lucked out.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

turkey lunchmeat and canned food = junk (sorry, just expressing my opinion) The canned food would only be "bad" if that is all you fed her. They need the dry food for their teeth and gums.

Border collies generally get along with nearly all animals and PEOPLE! They love everyone and everything! [Smile]

We need photos!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

dogmom2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dogmom2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so happy for you! So great to give her a new family to love her, sounds like you're already very happy you got her(and Jasper is too!)
Posts: 857 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
birdie67
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for birdie67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on your new dog. She sounds like a very sweet one!

Border collie's are such wonderful, smart dogs [Smile]

Posts: 486 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing better than a four legged best friend! Well, TWO four legged best friends !!

Here is to many years of wet kisses and unconditional love!

WOOF !

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OtterJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OtterJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second on the 'we need pics'! Some dogs can't tolerate cheese. My brother's yorkie which I occasionally dogsat absolutely could not eat milk products. Many pets can't. I have made my own pet treats in the past and use the cute bone shaped cookie cutter. I know Martha Stewart has recipes and I liked one I got out of Sunset magazine years ago. I think it had liver (yuck) and whole wheat and eggshells (natural) for calcium. My dog love love loved them.
Posts: 482 | From Oregon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So happy to read this! All of my dogs have been from shelters. Its a win win situation for all involved! My dogs are on a very good food too , but there is absolutely nothing wrong with some occasional lunch meat [Smile] Heck years ago growing up my dogs were fed dog food from the supermarket with ken-L ration mixed in and they lived much longer than most dogs do today...makes you wonder sometimes whats in some of these foods
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

The only thing better than this canned food is cooked meat, which some people do, but I am a vegetarian. I keep the turkey around just for animal treats.

The diabetic cat gets two shots a day and he is rewarded with a bit of turkey. I rarely have cheese but my son was here for two days so there is gouda and munster.

Milk gives them the runs but most dogs are fine with cheese. My last three dogs lived to be 15 - 16 years old. One was half Newfoundland and 120 pounds so he greatly outlived his life expectancy.

I fed them Nutro but switched to Blue Diamond Wilderness because it has no grain. Even though the cat was on a good food, he got diabetes because of the grain in it (according to the vet). Tow of the cats are 12-14 years.

Got someone wanting to play with me!

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I won't eat lunchmeats because of the dangers, so I would not feed my dog something I think is dangerous for ME. An occasional treat .. OK.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randi got carrots wbich she loved and the vet approved. Put her on heartguard right away. Sure you're doing that aleeady. Randi took it just plain. Once in awhile shed get turkey or chicken.

She. Was a real counfer cruiser. Id love to see pictures

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ellen: when I was growing up our doxie was fed

Gainsburgers....looked like shredded box with red dye number 90!

Max lived til 16.........makes you wonder.

I feed my dog grain free, everything free.....with supplements.

Funny how time changes.

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

My border collie loved apples! That always amazed me.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Border Collies are great dogs and you are right about them being smart.

My husband grew up on a farm and they had them growing up, I think to help with the cows.

We got a new 'pound puppy' about a month ago too.

She is a German Shepherd mix (we think).

We now have 3 pound puppies and they are the best and most loyal pets.

I think they know when you have saved them.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

I took her out to help me get the horses in this morning and she was fine until they started running. I thought she would enjoy them running away from her (Jasper loves it) but it scared her and she ran for her life back to the house. I have NEVER seen anything run that fast.

So I guess she has no experience rounding up anything but maybe she will catch on. I also took her for a walk and had to keep her on a leash as neither her or Jasper would come if there was anything interesting to distract them.

Jasper thinks horse poop is edible but Jessie thinks it is perfume. She rolled in it! She is a very sensitive dog so a good scolding should get the message across that humans don't enjoy it - getting washed off with cold water from the hose might make an impression too. I carry treats for Jasper to trade for dropping the poop. When he was still real little he drug a dead sucker fish all the way home.

Jasper is very jealous if Jessie plays with his squeaky toys. If I throw one, she is there before it lands. Then Jasper demands it back and she gives it to him. She could bite him as he still has baby teeth and is pretty helpless, but she is too sweet.

She does worry about the food bowls though. There are two bowls always filled with dry food and at first she tried to guard both of them. She is learning which one is hers and it is not going to run out.

They wear each other out giving me a break. That is really nice.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I bet she'd never seen a horse before!

Sounds like she was basically starved and that is why she guards that food. Poor baby.

I think border collies are very sensitive and yes, very sweet.

We are waiting for pics, neffer! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The horses are probably intimidating, being so big and all. She'll should get used to them over time.

Does she try to herd the people at your house?

We think our new puppy is part herding dog, because she circles us and nips at our heels.

She isn't satisfied until we are all together where she wants us to be.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

That's cute, linky!

Our dog used to greet us by putting his mouth over our wrists. He would slobber all over me...hehehe. (usually after being separated for the day, etc) I found out later that this is how wolves greet each other!!!

He would actually take the forearm in his mouth .. ever so gently.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

OtterJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OtterJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, linky, are you all crowded in the corner of the room? [Smile] I like the wet nose in the back of the knee, that was my dog Milo's trick. Usually this meant to go to the fridge and get me a snack.
Posts: 482 | From Oregon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

That is hilarious linky. I can imagine all of you walking huddled together. She is taking very good care of you!

That is true about wolves mouthing to greet each other. Many years ago, we had a couple of huskys with a little wolf in them and they would mouth our arms.

I need my husband to help me get a picture of her playing ball. She is amazing. I am so glad I got her.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Is she pretty, too?? On top of being a sweetheart!?

That is cool about the mouthing. I wonder how many breeds do that?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

linky123
Member # 19974

Otter, we weren't all crowded in the corner of the room, but she did have us all up on the porch.

She is so bossy!

Tutu, your pup sounds like a real character.

neffer,am looking forward to a photo when you are able to post it.

--------------------

nefferdun
Member # 20157

Here she is!

http://s412.photobucket.com/user/nefferdun/media/Jessie.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

http://s412.photobucket.com/user/nefferdun/media/Jessie1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

--------------------

lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was fun reading this thread Christopher used to like apples but Etta only like carrots and cheese I can't imagine taking care of 8 horses right now I had to break up the farm so many years ago when I started treatment since then I've only been able to lease but this is really fun to read I have many pictures in my mind off all those doggies

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

OH, neffer... I am IN LOVE!!! She's BEAUTIFUL!!! I CANNOT believe this dog was at a shelter! Hard to imagine someone giving her up.

check this out!

http://www.calendars.com/dbs/savenow/prod201400002083/?PROMO=promo2340002&cm_mmc=Email_Program-_-06/22/2013-_-062213EDBSDOGBREED__-_-Recco2_Gund%20Border%20Collie%20Beanbag

Cute border collie plush toy. I order a border collie calendar every year from this company. It's my "must have."

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

OtterJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30701

What a cutie. I think she looks very intelligent but needs to learn to trust again. With her friend Jasper, I am sure it will happen soon.
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first time my Boxers met horses, the horses had their heads down as they munched on grass.

To the dogs, this looked like play position, with butts up and faces down.

The dogs immediately assumed play positions and tried to engage the horses, who had riders no less.

The horses just looked confused and kept munching.

I could not believe the dogs wanted to play with these huge animals, and showed no fear.

Later, when the horses were brought into the barn, both dogs disappeared. I'm sure they went to see if they could help.

Dogs are hilarious. I'm so happy you got Jasper a buddy.

Have fun!

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

What a beautiful dog! And she is color-coordinated with Jasper.

They add so much to our lives.

--------------------

nefferdun
Member # 20157

BoxerMom, Your boxers sound like characters. They must think very highly of themselves to think a horse is a play companion and not something to be feared.

I saw something on PBS where a border collie was trained to recognize and retrieve it's toys by name. Then they added a new toy to see if the dog could relate the new name to the new toy and it did - the first time. I want to teach these dogs what the names of the toys are.

That is a very cute plush toy. I wonder if it is dog proof (doubt it). They have a lot of toys - "rooster, chic chic, tick doc (alligator), big stinky, little stinky, wabbit, piggy, ball and bee- beep".

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Probably not dog proof.. Cute though!

I've seen that dog. Many videos of brilliant border collies on You Tube. Look up a dog named "Nana".. she is amazing.

My niece is a Veterinarian and when she was going thru school and training she had a border collie. She had that dog so well trained that when she needed a guinea pig for bloodwork he would just offer up his paw to her!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

linky123
Member # 19974

We were just watching 'Snow Dogs' and the border collie is named 'Nana'.

Such a funny movie.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

OH yeah!! I loved that movie!! I had forgotten that was the dog's name in the movie. I guess that is why they named their dog Nana... unless it's the same dog! Could be!

Nana:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8FfNQ_E0l0

My Scooter looked a LOT like Nana. He had a bit more wispy hair on his legs and the markings were very much alike. He had less white between his eyes and no white on top of his head. Otherwise, they look like litter mates!

You have to see her at 7:30 or so.. she has two parakeets on top of her nose!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She is precious!!! and Jasper is soooo beautiful and soooo photogenic! You are so blessed to have them [Smile]

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katiebobatie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katiebobatie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She is just precious!!

I'm so happy for you and that you chose to rescue a senior dog [Big Grin]

Dogs are such a blessing and add so much joy to life... I've adopted 3 myself and can't imagine my life without all 3 of them!

Its so nice that you got an older dog who is already housebroken, and it sounds like she really needs a loving home.

If you really want to change her name, you can call her "Jessie (insert new name)" for the first day or too, then drop the Jessie all together and she will likely answer to the new name. I understand if you don't want to change it too much though for her sake:-)

Posts: 442 | From usa | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

They are not confused by their names sounding a little similar and I like Jessie so she is keeping that. She is a joy, the sweetest dog ever. She was being food aggressive and the day before yesterday bit the heck out of Jasper for which I really scolded her.

Today I gave her a treat and she gave it to Jasper. I gave her another treat and she gave him that one too! I had to close the door so she was alone to eat her treat.

She will take his crazy puppy antics without complaint. I have to rescue her from him. She loves to play ball. I throw it and she is so much faster than Jasper that he doesn't have a chance of beating her to it, but as soon as he arrives she gives it to him. He brings it back to me and then I throw it again.

The video of Nana is amazing. It was so cute when she was holding the parakeets on her nose. I saw a dog on a trail ride that actually runs backwards. I have never seen a dog do that before. I am taking a clicker training class with Jasper.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

OH gawd, she is so sweet. I swear they are like humans!!! I hope once she gets enough food in her belly and she no longer feels she will go without food, that she won't be so aggressive.

It sounds like she really learned her lesson with your scolding! So cool that she shares like that.

That really was an amazing video, wasn't it!? [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
About the previous owner. Perhaps the shelter would mail them a photo or two that you would select (anonymous for your protection). This way they could rest assured that the dog is doing well and even has a playmate.

I would so treasure such a photo and short note were I to be in their place.

And, if you had a sense of it the previous owner might be okay to some visit once in a while (or even just once), you could ask the shelter managers if they think the personality of that owner might work for such an arrangement,

and if, in their professional experience, this would be good for the dog and all humans involved.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're such a good soul for rescuing her! Very sweet!

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Keebler:
-
About the previous owner. Perhaps the shelter would mail them a photo or two that you would select (anonymous for your protection). This way they could rest assured that the dog is doing well and even has a playmate.

I would so treasure such a photo and short note were I to be in their place.

And, if you had a sense of it the previous owner might be okay to some visit once in a while (or even just once), you could ask the shelter managers if they think the personality of that owner might work for such an arrangement,

and if, in their professional experience, this would be good for the dog and all humans involved.
-

-
The dog was NOT being taken care of. She was THIN when neffer got her. I wouldn't want those people anywhere near my dog.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
"They said her previous owner was sick and could not take care of her" (end quote)

The dog was given to the shelter, so that's a caring act that seems to say they did care in their heart but could not follow through due to illness (and maybe cost).
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I missed that part!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement