LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » NPR Lyme discussion today at 2 MST

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NPR Lyme discussion today at 2 MST
sickofsick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29258

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickofsick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My father-in-law informed me of this discussion today. I don't know what program or anything else. Diane Rehm?
Posts: 312 | From Utah | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not Diane Rehm. Must be something else.
Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atta
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fresh Air. I"m listening right now in Philly on 90.9. It's based off Michael Specter's lyme article in the New Yorker.

Interesting, I haven't been listening too long and I missed the beginning but I already have some issues with the claims he is making-like a tick needing to be attached 36 hours to transmit the disease.

But there is some good info there and it's obviously a tough subject to cover if you can't go completely in depth.

Still listening though.

--------------------
Just a catepillar, full of imaginal buds.

Posts: 143 | From Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atta
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd love it if others can catch this interview and comment. You should be able to find a recording if you miss it.

--------------------

Posts: 143 | From Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just posted the New Yorker article in another thread. Lot's of issues....
Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atta
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30786

Really? I will check it out. Was a hard one for me to listen to for sure.

He mentioned the rife machine but also said that no legitimate doctor would ever recommend using one. I've know a few legitimate ones.

--------------------

sickofsick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29258

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickofsick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was pretty informative. He talked about the poor testing being a big problem.

He states that the CDC is now recommending prophylactic treatment (3 weeks) with tick bite, symptoms, in endemic area. He specifically said, not in an area like Salt Lake City (grrrrrrr).

He cited a couple of examples of people who were very ill. I think it was a good description of the devastation Lyme causes. One treated with diet modification and rife and is better (I think Roth is his name).

He did discuss coinfections.

I felt it was probably more positive than negative. Painted the picture of the controversy, but sided with science-based treatments.

He also mentioned the millions of hate letters he received as a result of the article. I got the feeling he personally believes the problem is much bigger than recognized.

I wasn't totally focused and didn't take notes, so may have missed some things.

Posts: 312 | From Utah | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Atta,

MDs are not allowed to bring up the subject of Rife machines nor discuss with patients unless their patients bring up questions themselves.

Even then, they cannot discuss details or recommend. They might share a few sentences about others' reported experiences and that is it. They have to leave it alone from there.

If a patient is using a rife, on their own, or with a LL ND, of course, that patient would be able to report back with their MD (hopefully who is a LL MD) but the MD is not allowed to guide treatment in any concrete way whatsoever.

The FDA has not approved this as a medical device so that is why MDs can't discuss it. It's "experimental" and the FDA has even imprisoned some who have made such machines if they make any claims whatsoever. It seems unreal but it has happened (usually targeted for other trumped up charges but the rife was at the center of these incidents).

Because they are under a different licensing departments than MDs, NDs (naturopathic doctors) can talk about rife and recommend. Some LL NDs incorporate rife treatments in their clinics, too. Of course, state laws can vary for NDs. More detail:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=117755;p=0

Topic: RIFE Machine - Reference LINKS

LL Naturopathic links here, too.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Millions of hate letters? I am doubting this. Does he confuse this with people who are writing to him because they disagree with things he said? If so, he is in the wrong field. Journalists are supposed to consider all sources of information, even if they do not fit a preconceived point of view. Preconceived means that all the information had not yet been gathered or evaluated. I would say he did not come to this with an open mind. And the timing of this shows why. They bring out the big guns to silence the thousands of patients who support the current pending legislation.
Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

And Specter apparently said there was no such thing as chronic lyme. See, even journalists without any medical training can foist ignorant opinions on the public, and get paid for it. Who is he to make this determination? A lot less qualified than most lyme patients.

This man has revealed his true colors.

Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Wouldn't any good doctor who was saying things that "millions" of people reacted to WANT to know more about WHY they sent letters?

Even if he interpreted them as hate letters, wouldn't a true and good doctor understand certain emotions if lives have been greatly affected and try to get the facts behind the emotions?

And, wouldn't any good journalist ask these very questions of the speaker?

Wouldn't a good journalist say, "well, really, millions? What was the count?"

And "it's hard to understand patients sending someone 'hate' letters unless something really did not mesh with their experience with this infection and what you are saying. Can you elaborate on the goal of some of these letters?"

An excellent journalist would have read the article beforehand and also - even if just part of research, called others in the article who may have been in disagreement with the author.

And wouldn't a good journalist the want to bring in some patients and ILADS doctors?

Sadly, not when IDSA doctors are involved.

And not where, otherwise, top journalists are not lyme literate enough and they trust the IDSA far too much as their main sources.

I am so hoping that the journalists of our world will wake up, get better educated on this issues and start living up to the very best of journalistic standards.

So far, the fall way short. They can still do right but they don't even know they are not getting the real details, I'd bet.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
"no such thing as chronic lyme." Well . . .

And this makes our familiar circles, friendship circles and all other work or social circles all that more cut off to us.

I know many who would rather believe the lies spewed forth by IDSA doctors than what I may mention is really happening to my body in relation to lyme. Sadly, what those with lyme share with others just seems so unreal.

I know the truth but I can't help but feel a deep shame around those in my life who think I've just failed as a human being.

I'm strong enough to know the truth but it still creates a terrible dynamic and for those who have not been through the punches as I and are newer to all this, it can have even more of an effect.

To hear on one of the very best journalism programs that there is "no such thing as chronic lyme" can have a ripple effect that can cut deep.

It also prevents us from seeking healthcare for other issues as, since lyme (especially untreated as many much endure) affects so many other body systems, organs and functions, it's much harder for any other doctor to fully understand what's happening.

For many, just being in a waiting room is nearly impossible due to sensory overload but there is no quick way to explain why because it has been declared that the illness does not exist. Dire effects.

Not to mention the number of people who rely on some of the detail in this - errors about tick attachment time, etc.

Some of what he wrote (or spoke) is criminal negligence. But not all. And that's what can be very devastating. Few will know how to sort the facts from the errors.
-

poppy
Member # 5355

If this is an example of how he handles subjects, I don't understand why any reputable magazine would keep him on staff.

I got the impression this was just a quickie for him. No real research, just dinner table talk and reading what Wormser and the CDC/NIH say. Superficial is putting it kindly. It really is just about worthless.

And I know what you mean, Keebler, when you say it makes our lives harder when relatives and friends believe this stuff. My own brother heard that news about chronic lyme is just a new tickbite, and unfortunately I did get another bite. But I already had longterm symptoms at that time, and couldn't see any change or worsening after the new bite. So leaves me wondering if he is doubting what I say. Are there any more ways they can find to hurt us? Probably not, every possible avenue has been pursued, from research money, to publishing, to insurance, to doctor access, to brainwashing the public.

Atta
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30786

Thanks for the rife link Keebler. I had a DO suggest I look at something called a rife machine. For me that was obviously enough to read between the lines and look into it.

And now I use it as my treatment and have an ND who is very much in the know.

I understand why it's a risk to bring it up and Specter didn't strike me as being overly comfortable with mentioning it either.

I also feel that this was a "quickie" for him, as you say Poppy. This was no expert opinion. And that is what was frustrating for me listening to it as well. Even though it did have some good points what is the take away for the general populace that doesn't have Lyme?

--------------------

Atta
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30786

Sickofsick-

Frustrating, to say the least, that he specifically said not in Salt Lake City.

I almost choked when he actually mentioned Michigan though. It seems my home state is finally getting some acknowledgement.

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
For reference.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/07/01/130701fa_fact_specter?utm_source=Last+Sapi+appeal&utm_campaign=New+Yorker&utm_medium=email

The New Yorker, Annals of Medicine

THE LYME WARS

The Lyme-disease infection rate is growing. So is the battle over how to treat it.

- by Michael Specter - July 1, 2013

No "reader comment" feature

http://www.newyorker.com/contact/contactus

Contact The New Yorker

(Obviously, it will do no good to contact the author - or just the author, himself. He has already stated in the NPR interview that he got millions of hate mail, so something seems amiss about that interpretation.)

Best to reply to editors - publisher - and owner.

-------------------------------

http://www.npr.org/2013/06/26/195223507/the-lyme-wars-that-tiny-ticks-have-wrought

NPR "Fresh Air" Interview with Michael Specter - June 26, 2013

'The Lyme Wars' That Tiny Ticks Have Wrought

Read Interview Text - or Listen to 37-minute interview

See "Reader Comments" - Link to right of text
-

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found him facetious, saying things were facts when they're not. Especially the 36-hours bit for a tick to infect. Not. Willy Burgdorfer said at a Lyme conference in Bard, NY in 1999 that ticks can have the bacteria in their saliva and transmit immediately.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I wish ILADS would design a course for JOURNALISTS - perhaps through the National Press Association, or other professional organizations.

I'm just too tired to try to get the ball rolling on that but sure wish someone could.
-

Rivendell
Member # 19922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivendell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has Pamela Weintraub's updated version of "Cure Unknown" been released yet?

I'm sure that she will be interviewed by Diane Rehm, who interviwed her before.

She is a science journalist who knows her stuff, with a family who was sick with lyme as well.

She is the journalist to interview.

[ 07-10-2013, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: Rivendell ]

Posts: 1358 | From Midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement