LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Wormser says: So what if you are persistently infected

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wormser says: So what if you are persistently infected
poppy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, he showed his true colors in this statement from the New Yorker article. He doesn't care if you are persistently infected with dangerous bacteria. Can you imagine anyone saying this about AIDS, syphilis, TB, etc, etc.?

Why does this man still have a license to practice medicine?

``Right now, in the published literature, there is no evidence of persistence in humans, and if there were I would say, `So what?' ''

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's plenty of evidence, but we just found out why it doesn't matter. HE IS NOT A HUMAN BEING!!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Yes, there is plenty of good, solid evidence but not in the PUBLISHED JOURNALS the IDSA CONTROLS. Noticed he had to use the qualifier "published" - the IDSA controls the major medical journals and will not allow ILADS or ILADS-minded researcher to publish their work in those journals.

He does not even try to hide his disdain for those who are affected by this. Not at all. "So, what?"

"So, WHAT?" He has not even listened as some have tried to explain why.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone think of a more damming statement than this coming from a doctor?
Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I saw that "published".. they will never listen.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
``Right now, in the published literature, there is no evidence of persistence in humans, and if there were I would say, `So what?' ''

Aside from the arrogance of that statement, it tells me that he KNOWS there is plenty of evidence of persistent infection.

And if I recall, he and his ilk stated that way back when in their own research decades ago.

The "so what," statement just tells me he is very, very far removed from the reality of patients living with this devastating illness and he is quite comfortable living off his conflicts-of-interest income.

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Sickening. What a despicable human being.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Atta
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ass

--------------------
Just a catepillar, full of imaginal buds.

Posts: 143 | From Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A quick google scholar search yielded these results:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/000293439090122T

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0140673698011465

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0002934303003085

http://jid.oxfordjournals.org/content/180/3/720.short

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I truly believe in karma. I just witnessed it with someone I know. Man on man did he ever get his.

I know that one day it's going to get Wormser.
Every DOG has his day. I don't wish bad on others because I'm not in charge. Someone else is!!!

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Karma for those who discounted the seriousness of lyme will not give the lives back to those who have lost them. It can't undo the huge harm done to so many.

I'd rather have them wake up, and stand up to the truth and turn the tables and head straight to ILADS physician training - so that misery could stop.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
droid1226
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need to find this. I just read the article again and couldn't find this. Where is it in the article?

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Oh poo! I hadn't even noticed there was no link. Was it a recent article?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Judie and at least one other person posted this. There is also separate thread about this same author discussing his article on NPR the other day.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/07/01/130701fa_fact_specter?utm_source=Last+Sapi+appeal&utm_campaign=New+Yorker&utm_medium=email

The New Yorker, Annals of Medicine

THE LYME WARS

The Lyme-disease infection rate is growing. So is the battle over how to treat it.

- by Michael Specter - July 1, 2013

No "reader comment" feature

http://www.newyorker.com/contact/contactus

Contact The New Yorker

(Obviously, it will do no good to contact the author - or just the author, himself. He has already stated in the NPR interview that he got millions of hate mail, so something seems amiss about that interpretation.)

Best to reply to editors - publisher - and owner.

-------------------------------

http://www.npr.org/2013/06/26/195223507/the-lyme-wars-that-tiny-ticks-have-wrought

NPR "Fresh Air" Interview with Michael Specter - June 26, 2013

'The Lyme Wars' That Tiny Ticks Have Wrought

Read Interview Text - or Listen to 37-minute interview

See "Reader Comments" - Link to right of text
-

[ 06-27-2013, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

droid1226
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wormser is not quoted in this article. He's a piece of $%9# no doubt, but he's not in it.

--------------------

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
droid,

see PAGE FOUR of The New Yorker article, second-to-last and last paragraph where Wormser is quoted:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/07/01/130701fa_fact_specter?utm_source=Last+Sapi+appeal&utm_campaign=New+Yorker&utm_medium=email

Excerpt from p. 4:

. . . None of these studies have swayed Gary Wormser, the chief of the division of infectious diseases at New York Medical College, and the lead author of the often criticized Infectious Diseases Society of America guidelines for Lyme.

He says that, in the absence of new data, doctors should continue to treat Lyme with courses of oral antibiotics that generally take no more than thirty days.

``Right now, in the published literature, there is no evidence of persistence in humans, and if there were I would say, `So what?' '' he told me recently.

``You would have to show me that the spirochetes continue to produce disease and you would have to show me that they would respond to antibiotics.'' . . . .
-

droid1226
Member # 34930

Thank you Keebler.

--------------------

Cockapoo1996
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cockapoo1996     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They should yank his medical license.

http://www.ratemds.com/doctor-ratings/646508/Dr-Gary-Wormser-New+Rochelle-NY.html

Posts: 472 | From New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I wondered what he said after "so what".. He's so dumb.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He will end up with chronic Lyme - that will be his karma. Just goes to show being a doctor and being intelligent do not go hand in hand. Loser......
Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree Desertwind. What goes around comes around. It's only a matter of time for the worm. Ya, I am sick of doctors and their giant egos.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pocono Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
I wondered what he said after "so what".. He's so dumb.

50% of all doctors graduate at the bottom of their class.

Then there's rock bottom.

--------------------
2 Corinthians 12:9-11

9 But he said to me, �My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.� Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ�s power may rest on me.

Posts: 1445 | From Poconos, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And scraping bottom, which is where Wormser can be found.

Along with the other worms.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katiebobatie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katiebobatie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its very frustrating feeling like things will never really change as long as people like Wormser and the others are alive [Frown]

They know their guidelines are total crap, they just don't care and its hard to believe they ever will.

All the new June articles are really discouraging to me

Its upsetting that all these articles can be used against us not just by the medical community, but also by family and friends who don't understand our illness. Arg!!

Posts: 442 | From usa | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement