LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Interesting (positive) reaction with a non-LLMD

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Interesting (positive) reaction with a non-LLMD
rera2528
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rera2528     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanted to pass along an interesting experience I had today. I met with a doctor about an upcoming procedure (very minor). He looked at my paperwork and said, "Oh, Lyme Disease?"

At this point, I said, "Yes," and I waited for the rest of it - the doubt, skepticism, funny looks, demeaning comments, etc.

He then asked what I was taking for it, looked at my info, and said, "You know, I think it is a shame that doctors won't just admit that they are wrong. It's terrible how people with Lyme are treated. Why didn't we learn with syphilis, since they are related? I just don't get it. It hits so many systems at once, it's just horrible!"

No joke, I started to cry. He was appalled that I go out of state to get treatment. And he was sincerely disgusted that others won't change.

I wanted to post since I know that there are so few of these doctors out there, and I wanted to celebrate the first one I have met outside of the LLMD community. I will take it as the tiniest glimmer of hope.

Posts: 447 | From Vermont | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a wonderful story.

I do believe that there are many docs out there who truly "get it."

I recently took DD to a cardiologist. I too was expecting the usual doubt, skepticism, demeaning comments etc. and believe me I was on high-alert to address same. I have NO patience at all for any medical person who denies the existence of chronic lyme.

To our surprise, he actually used the term "chronic lyme" as he reviewed her history. I didn't say it, HE did! That was a refreshing eye-opener for us to say the least.

It felt so good to be validated by someone who isn't an LLMD. Not that we need validation by anyone, but you all know what I mean.

Thanks for posting this. Your doc is a keeper, for sure.

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
droid1226
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My GP's sister got it and now she asks what she can do for me everytime I go in. She's honest and says, "I'll get fired if I treat you past the guidelines."

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for sharing that story - practically made me cry too! We don't usually get that response, and I think we just usually brace for the barrage that comes next, so, so nice that this doctor is responding, frankly, the way all doctors should be responding to us with these illnesses! Keep this one in the loop!
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shiela
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28681

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shiela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to see a rheumatologist the other day who asked who was treating me for Lyme. I told him I wouldn't say. He looked puzzled and asked why.

I told him because I knew of the controversy involving Lyme treatment and wanted to protect the doctor that is treating me.

He said, "Oh" and then at the end of my exam said, "Well, whatever you're doing, keep doing it." Really surprised me.

The same kind of political shananigans and denegration was carried on when germs were discovered and hand washing was recommended.

Eventually, the truth can not be suppressed, especially when the cases of it is rising exponentially. Most of us, I think, know someone besides ourselves that have Lyme.

If we do, it seems that doctors would too. How long will they turn their backs on their patients, neighbors and those they love...

[ 07-12-2013, 03:12 AM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

--------------------
I'm not there yet but I'm closer than I was yesterday.----
Lyme Band 31,41,58. Being treated for Lyme and Bartonella.

Posts: 149 | From Maine | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shiela
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28681

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shiela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How long can they....

--------------------

Posts: 149 | From Maine | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once their family members get infected with Lyme, they tend to come out of denial...eventually.

My father in law is a Dr. Last year when I was fighting for my husband's (his son's) health/life, he kept calling it "Post Lyme syndrome". Telling me that we needed to follow the local Drs recommendations, etc, etc.

We got in many arguments. I kept emailing research studies. Finally, I barraged him with an email with a link to the Lyme disease Memorial Project's autopsy reports and titled the email "LYME DISEASE CAN KILL".

Next thing I knew he was getting his wife, who has MS, to my husband's LLMD.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shiela
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28681

@lax mom--Sooo glad your father-in-law got on board. Thanks for sharing that information. I just looked it up and 'Pinned' it and put it on my Facebook.

--------------------

hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I wish states would recognize that Lyme can cause permanent disability in some people. Those in Illinois cannot get a disability placard for their car for more than 6 months, because the state does not recognize Lyme as an ongoing issue.

Thus they have to back their instate doctor (usually the GP, not the LLMD) every six months to get the form filled out.

Nice to hear some GP's are wising up. Mine does not get it, yet, but he just sort of goes along with what I say or ask for (which isn't much).

Hiker53

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8878 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting this. My Pcp totally got it. She admitted she wasn't up on the combos.. And referred me to a llmd. But she always supported me and understood. She and two of her sons had Lyme.
Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've only had ONE non-Lyme doctor respond negatively in the past 13 yrs. Now, I don't know what some of them were THINKING when I told them about the Lyme! But most just accept it as fact and don't really comment.

But I recently found a neurologist who is from India. He said, "You had LYME? That affects everything, all your systems!"

I couldn't believe it! He is a definite keeper!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I've had more doctors than I can even count severely discount lyme - and symptoms I described. Thinking back, probably at least fifteen over the years, of various specialties.

But I'm in a state that declares "no lyme in this state." The doctors are taught to believe it with full force. And if they want to stay in practice here, they simply cannot question that.

Never any thought to the other tick-borne infections, either. They are in another world, completely.

After receiving so much verbal / medical abuse around this matter from doctors here - it's a bit hopeful to hear of other doctors, anywhere, that are better informed, even if not experts.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unsure445
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15962

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unsure445     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doctors in the northeast are absolutely overwhelmed by Lyme these days. I had a similar experience recently.

I went to my PCP who I generally avoid due to the same thing...a lecture, comments etc...

Was there a few weeks ago and when I explained to his nurse what my symptoms were, the first thing she asked was if I have had a tick bite recently. Said their office had seven confirmed cases that week.

My pcp was very humble, no lecture, and asked if I wanted test results sent to my llmd. He even used my llmd's name in the conversation!

Every where I turn these days I meet someone with Lyme. It breaks my heart because so many are getting such poor treatment.

A friend was put on 30 days of IV rocephin by the local ID doc and was never told to take probiotics!

Makes me sad....

--------------------
unsure445

Posts: 824 | From northeast | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement