LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » affording care

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: affording care
LisaK
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I am new here. I am pretty sure I have lyme or a tick born illness, etc. I have contacted several Drs. - LLMDs and while they all sound impressive and nice, etc, they are all pricey. I have no inusrance(which most don't take any way), I have NO MONEY whatsoever. So....what do I do????? I am losing mental function- I can tell. I am really scared and I don't know what to do.

I really have no money. These Drs don't take payments- they want it all paid at once. I have no credit cards and cannot get one. I have no savings. I have nothing.

Someone- anyone- is there something I can do??? Can anyone help me and tell me it's gonna be OK???

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's going to be tough. If you hang with us, we can help you find ways to treat yourself.

Be sure to do lots of reading in Medical Questions. You can get a copy of Stephen Buhner's book, Healing Lyme and use herbs to treat.

Or you can buy a Rife machine. Some are not that expensive and it's a one-time purchase.

At any rate, don't give up yet! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, will check the questions.... thanks. I am not going to give up- I can't. I can tell my brain is not as smart as it was and I am very much bothered by this..... I feel like I am on drugs and I am not.

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LisaK- Lymetoo gave some great suggestions.

Treating lyme can/is very expensive.

Miscellaneous for lyme detox also costs more $.

If I didn't have the money to continue treatment the way that I am, I would invest in a rife machine and go the herbal route as per Buhner, and continue with Salt/C and aromatherapy Thieve's Oil.

It would be a high initial cost, but would be cheaper in the long run. Buhner's books and website really spell things out, so would be helpful if you're treating without medical supervision.

Not that I recommend it. So many things happen because of this infection-it would be nice to have a doctor aware of your treatment protocol and to run lab tests in case things went bad.

Are there any lyme support groups in your area? They may know of resources, or may co-op a rife machine/additional necessary supplies, or may know more about grants for treatments for lyme patients.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treeinatree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38613

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treeinatree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I was waiting to get LLMD, I used Buhner herbs. I did feel some improvement. You could also use the exercise from Burrascano 2008 protocol, and hot baths.

Other free things that have helped me as adjuncts are meditation and tracking water intake.

There ARE programs to help with cost of treatment and testing. Try a search here for "financial aid" when you have a "clear" moment.

Posts: 146 | From South | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Financial help:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/23463

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's good to figure out, first of all, what you're dealing with. If you're not sure, I suggest googling for the symptoms of babesia, bartonella and ehrlichia to see whether you think you match any of the co-infections too.

There's a yahoo group, lyme_aid_buhner, for those who either can't take antibiotics or who choose to go the herbal route, also because it's more affordable.

There's a very good book by Stephen Buhner, "Healing Lyme," which is pretty cheap - I recommend getting it and reading through some of it to see what the protocols are like. The group is very helpful in answering people's questions.

There's also a Buhner site, www.planetthrive.org, I think, that answers questions.

I suggest you reading through suggestions for what is cheap and available to do, like cheap ways to detox, etc.

Do you have any cheap access to doctors and care at all? Because there's a couple tests you could ask them to run for you, like one of them would be to test for thyroid T3, T4, TSH, to see if you're low,

and if so, going on thyroid supplementation like Armour or others can improve function, including thinking.

It's possible you're going to need to talk to people you know about whether anyone can help you out, or whether you could trade some activity/work for them? Try to get creative.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Some of the informational links here can help you make decisions on which supplements are most important - if you have no other way.

If there are any sliding fee scale NDs or L.Ac.s in your area, you might find one who is also LL.

I've had some NDs work with me for next to nothing - and even nothing.

GARLIC is one possibililty of something that has some helpful properties and if there is no money for any other approach, garlic could "hold the fort" to a degree.

If you can tolerate 2 cloves a day (start with one, in the MIDDLE of a good meal). Organic. A clove is the smaller almond size bit of a garlic head.

When considering herbal / nutritional / adjunct methods:

if at all possible - because each person & each case is different - it's best to consult with an ILADS-educated LL ND (lyme literate naturopathic doctor) (or similar) who has completed four years of post-graduate medical education in the field of herbal and nutritional medicine -

- and someone who is current with ILADS' research & presentations, past and present, and has completed the ILADS Physician Training Program (see: www.ilads.org )

Many LL NDs incorporate antibiotics (depending upon the licensing laws in their state). Some LLMDs and LL NDs have good working relationships.

When possible, it's great to have both a LLMD and LL ND and even better when they have a long-standing professional relationship.

-----------------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/2/13964

How to find an ILADS-educated LL:

N.D. (Naturopathic Doctor);

L.Ac. (Acupuncturist);

D.Ay. (Doctor of Ayurvedic Medicine);

D.O.M. (Doctor of Oriental Medicine);

D.O. (Doctor of Osteopathy);

D.C. (Doctor of Chiropractic);

Integrative / Holistic M.D., etc.

(Be aware that those in some categories can have zero or various levels of formal herbal &/or nutritional education, perhaps even just a short course. Do ask first.)

Links to many articles and books by holistic-minded LL doctors of various degrees who all have this basic approach in common:

Understanding of the importance of addressing the infection(s) fully head-on with specific measures from all corners of medicine;

knowing which supplements have direct impact, which are only support and which are both.

You can compare and contrast many approaches.

BASIC HERBAL EDUCATIONAL & SAFETY links,

BODY WORK links with safety tailored to lyme patients,

LOW HEAT INFRARED SAUNA detail,

BIOPHOTON - BIONIC 880 (& PE-1) links, and

RIFE links.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You may find someone near you who has a rife and could let you use it (you would have to to them). For lyme, it's just every 12 days.

But, backing up, you say you are not sure but suspect lyme. Some diagnostic detail:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=015508;p=0

Diagnosing Lyme Disease (&/or whatever else is going on)

Other tick-borne infections and other chronic stealth infections - as well as certain conditions that can hold us back - are discussed here.

http://www.anapsid.org/lyme/lymeseroneg.html

Reasons for False Negative (Seronegative) Test Results in Lyme Disease

http://www.publichealthalert.org/Articles/miscellaneous/Dx%20and%20tx%20lyme%20and%20co.pdf

Public Health Alert (PHA) is a newspaper committed to researching and investigating Lyme Disease and other chronic illnesses

Laboratory Tests and Diagnosis for Lyme Disease and Co-infections - June 2013

- by Armin Schwarzbach, M.D., Ph.D. - Five Pages

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=013239;p=0

What is a LLMD? LL ND? What is ILADS?

WHY you need an ILADS "educated" or "minded" Lyme Literate doctor (whether MD or ND, or both) - starting with assessment / evaluation.

Medical "models" explained here, as to differences in the ISDA & ILADS models of assessment & treatment - and exactly why it is so very important to know the differences.

I know you say you can't afford a LLMD right now, still, be sure to read over this so that you don't stoop to accept just any doctor who is not up to speed.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Essential to treatment is excellent nutrition - that should be very flavorful, with herbs and spices that are not loaded with additives.

Go for lots of bright & deep colored veggies, "clean" protein and good fats (nuts, coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil).

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=029690;p=0

Excitotoxins; MSG; Aspartame; & "Natural" Flavors;

GMO foods that destroy the GI Tract; Gluten; Dairy.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Mentioned above that if a LLMD is out of reach, you might be able to find a LL ND (as less cost). Sometimes, NDs can take on one patient at a time at a sliding-fee scale.

Some naturopathic or acupuncture clinics have programs for low income, too. Perhaps as little as $5. - or even less. And some such clinics sometimes get supplements donated.

It is best if they are lyme literate and ILADS educated, however, if you can't find one who is and can find someone to help at least that might be a step in the right direction for the time being. Be sure they would at least study ILADS' website, etc. and talk to other LL NDs, though.

Start here, tell them what's going on and ask if they have any suggestions for you. It may help when asking to ask if they know any ND "in the position to offer sliding fee scale - or maybe help someone without any funds - somehow?"

http://www.panp.org/

Pennsylvania Association of Naturopathic Physicians
-

[ 07-23-2013, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

LisaK
Member # 41384

I am not sure I have lyme, but I HAVE had the EM rash and I am told and have read that this means I should have been treated for lyme, right? I have 97% of the symptoms on the list you have sent.

I am pretty sure I have lyme and it would explain everything I have been through over the last decade

Every dr I have ever seen for pain, eyes, fatigue, etc.... has given me the Elisa test and all were negative so I was never treated!

I am very sad and discouraged right now.... found cheapest "good" dr I could afford and I am going next week.

--------------------

sickofsick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29258

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickofsick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned

http://www.lymetap.com/

Posts: 312 | From Utah | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by sickofsick: I'm not sure if this has been mentioned

http://www.lymetap.com/ [/qb]

-
I need to add that to our link in General Support which contains several links.

-

I placed it here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/3/23463?#000000

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Rivendell
Member # 19922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivendell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lisa,

A good protocal to treating lyme and co-infections yourself with herbs is found at www.buhnerhealinglyme.com.

Start with the Core Protocal. Just use the knotweed and cat's claw if the dosage of eluthero is too expensive. You could use a smaller dosage.

Then, there are listed treatments for co-infections. If unsure, treat them all.

But the Core Protocal is very good to start with.

In the beginning I couldn't afford treatment either and didn't know about Buhner.

I started just using Cat's Claww and Olive Leaf, which helped. Then I discovered Buhner's protocal and tried the knotweed and that made a real difference.

How's the doctor you found? Antibiotics take a while.

Posts: 1358 | From Midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Thanks again, I will read this.

I am so overwhelmed.

--------------------

TxCoord
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TxCoord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The crux of the matter is this:
"I have NO MONEY whatsoever. So....what do I do?????"

When you cannot even afford supplements it makes things difficult. The best thing is to eat as best as you can and hope/pray that your monetary situation improves to where you can afford some of the supplements.

Edited to add: Keebler's post is good info. Re: spices, veggies, etc.

--------------------
I have a good time wherever I go!

Posts: 665 | From Lost Wages, NV | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

yes, Im typically a good eater although I LOVE baked goods (I make myself with natural sugar or agave) but now I know I must cut down even more

I will be sacrificing other small things so that I can fit in my supplements that are most important.

I think I will also play the lottery! once in a while

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement