LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » CDC again admits Lyme Disease cases are 10 times higher than reported

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CDC again admits Lyme Disease cases are 10 times higher than reported
Paul Mall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Mall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CDC Press Release

http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2013/p0819-lyme-disease.html

Posts: 925 | From Connecticut | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Thanks for that link.

That's some conference. Not ILADS, not sure if IDSA ? Names seem new to me. Will have to look at this again later. Hope?

http://iclb2013.com/agenda.htm

Conference Agenda - see presenters

---------------------

Will they ever admit that thousands never get the treatment they need because of the ISDA ignorance?
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Mall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Mall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We can only hope.

The fact that actually cases are 10 times higher was removed from their website a few years back.

so this is a move forward

Posts: 925 | From Connecticut | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well that's something!
I see they're not yet able to admit their two tier testing system is garbage. Too much of a liability to admit the many false negatives.

But it sure is nice that they surveyed the general public. Who is this general public, I wonder?

It's a start [Smile]

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-OH
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is the whole press release. I split it up for easier reading.
Ann - OHPress Release

CDC provides estimate of Americans diagnosed with Lyme disease each year

Preliminary estimates released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention indicate that the number of Americans diagnosed with Lyme disease each year is around 300,000.

The preliminary estimates were presented Sunday night in Boston at the 2013 International Conference on Lyme Borreliosis and Other Tick-Borne Diseases.

This early estimate is based on findings from three ongoing CDC studies that use different methods, but all aim to define the approximate number of people diagnosed with Lyme disease each year.

The first project analyzes medical claims information for approximately 22 million insured people annually for six years,

the second project is based on a survey of clinical laboratories

and the third project analyzes self-reported Lyme disease cases from a survey of the general public.

Each year, more than 30,000 cases of Lyme disease are reported to CDC, making it the most commonly reported tick-borne illness in the United States.

The new estimate suggests that the total number of people diagnosed with Lyme disease is roughly 10 times higher than the yearly reported number.

This new estimate supports studies published in the 1990s indicating that the true number of cases is between 3- and 12-fold higher than the number of reported cases.

“We know that routine surveillance only gives us part of the picture, and that the true number of illnesses is much greater,” said Paul Mead, M.D., M.P.H, chief of epidemiology and surveillance for CDC’s Lyme disease program.

“This new preliminary estimate confirms that Lyme disease is a tremendous public health problem in the United States, and clearly highlights the urgent need for prevention.”

CDC continues to analyze the data in the three studies to refine the estimates and better understand the overall burden of Lyme disease in the United States and will publish finalized estimates when the studies are complete.

Efforts are also underway at CDC and by other researchers to identify novel methods to kill ticks and prevent illness in people.

“We know people can prevent tick bites through steps like using repellents and tick checks.

Although these measures are effective, they aren’t fail-proof and people don’t always use them,” said Lyle R. Petersen, M.D., M.P.H, director of CDC’s Division of Vector-Borne Diseases.

“We need to move to a broader approach to tick reduction, involving entire communities, to combat this public health problem.”

This community approach would involve homeowners trying to kill ticks in their own yards, and communities addressing a variety of issues.

These issues include rodents that carry the Lyme disease bacteria, deer that play a key role in the ticks’ lifecycle, suburban planning, and the interaction between deer, rodents, ticks, and humans.

All must be addressed to effectively fight Lyme disease.

Most Lyme disease cases reported to CDC through national surveillance are concentrated heavily in the Northeast and upper Midwest, with 96 percent of cases in 13 states.

Lyme disease is caused by the bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi and is transmitted to humans through the bite of infected blacklegged ticks.

Typical symptoms include fever, headache, fatigue, and a characteristic skin rash called erythema migrans. If left untreated, infection can spread to joints, the heart, and the nervous system.

CDC recommends people take steps to help prevent Lyme disease and other tickborne diseases:
• Wear repellent
• Check for ticks daily
• Shower soon after being outdoors
• Call your doctor if you get a fever or rash

For more information on Lyme disease, visit www.cdc.gov/lyme.

###

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

CDC works 24/7 saving lives and protecting people from health threats to have a more secure nation. Whether these threats are chronic or acute, manmade or natural, human error or deliberate attack, global or domestic, CDC is the U.S. health protection agency.

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-OH
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me again:
Here is the info on the Conference.
http://iclb2013.com/faculty.htm

Scroll down and see all the usual suspects who are involved.
It is held at Harvard this year.
Ann - OH

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When will they share the truth that LYME is rampant in more than 13 states? Giving out this false information that 96% of cases happen in the Northeast and northern Mid-west is a huge lie.

This type information gives doctors in Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Florida, Georgia, California, Oregon etc......the false information that LYME doesn't exist in these areas of the US.

What good does it do to call on a doctor with even classic symptoms, bulls eye rash, fever, joint pain, neurological symptoms?

Over and over again these very ill patients are told we don't have lyme disease in this state/area.

A new member who drove from Southern Illinois to Louisville, KY to attend a Lyme support meeting told this story:

I went to an appointment with a ID doctor In Illinois and told them all my symptoms. I mentioned my concerns about Lyme Disease because the sx matched the research. This doctor screamed at me and berated me and literally slammed the door on me as they left the room??????????????

The CDC works hardest at covering up lie, upon lie about this whole epidemic. If they are our US health protection agency......

We are in deep crap.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like they are trying to build public support for the new lyme vaccine that is about to come out. However, it is another OSP A vaccine like the bad old one, and no evidence being provided that the same problems don't come with it.

And getting vaccinated for lyme will not prevent the coinfections.

Gots lots of issues with this new vaccine.

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I wondered who this group is - then saw this over at NBC News. Yes, it sounds like they are trying to build customers for the new vaccine.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/lyme-disease-infects-300-000-year-cdc-says-6C10949383

Lyme disease infects 300,000 a year, CDC says

- by Maggie Fox, NBC News

. . . “Not everyone diagnosed or treated for Lyme disease is necessarily infected with Borrelia burgdorferi,” they wrote in a summary submitted to the conference.

. . . Treatment can be as simple as a single dose of the antibiotic doxycycline or it can involve a three-week to one-month course of antibiotics, depending on how long it takes to diagnose after infection.

Infectious disease experts disagree on whether longer courses of treatment are helpful. Up to 20 percent of patients have long-term symptoms, the CDC says. . . .

. . . you can lessen the chance of infection by removing it from your body early, even if it’s already begun to feed,” the National Institutes of Health advises. . . .

. . . here used to be a vaccine, but its maker stopped manufacturing it because too few people asked for it. . . .

[No mention that the FAILED vaccine caused so many illnesses, even deaths and it had to be taken off the market.]

[so many errors here. Big sigh. Not much help with lyme education. No mention that it requires a combination treatment to address all form of lyme - or of other tick-borne infections. They fail at patient education.

They are not wanting to educate - or help they would TREAT properly, address coinfections, etc. . . but they want to scare folks into a vaccine that is being designed right now in Europe to bring to the U.S. soon]
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our local news channel just did a story out of New York on Lyme disease.

Sure enough they reported the statistics put out by our CDC announcing 96% cases of Lyme are from the Northeast and upper Mid-west.

That local news story did nothing for the people in this area. I'm am so upset, I'm shaking as I type this.

Keebler, you got it. Something smells to high heaven on all this news coverage. Big Pharma must have their hopes up and their wallets wide open for something!

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh, when I first read this, I did not make the connection about it being a marketing campaign for a new vac until Poppy brought it up.

*sigh* should've known better.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At first when I read this I thought "well finally!" the powers-that-be are admitting just how bad tbds are.

Then I realized that those same powers were negating just how prevalent tbds are in other areas of the country.

We all know that ticks do not veer into other states and respect those boundaries and cannot travel via their hosts, right? How many ways can you spell stupidity?

And I did not connect the dots of this new reporting with the introduction of the next Lyme vaccine.

So instead of investing time and money into finding out WHY this epidemic is spreading, and it most certainly is, and preventing the spread of disease and determining how best to help very sick people who have been infected for months and years and decades with lyme and its coinfections...

they will instead create a panic with more realistic figures (though likely the numbers are still higher than that, even) of how many are sick, which will have people running to their docs to get vaccinated with the next lymerix vaccine. Way to go, investing our tax dollars for something doomed to fail.

And how can any scientist worth his/her salt even condone a vaccine like this? We laypeople here on the forum know there are many, many different strains of Bb. You can't have an effective vaccine unless you are addressing ALL strains.

And aside from that, this vaccine won't do a thing for coinfections. And then there's the whole issue of vaccines in the first place.

And aside from that, who exactly holds the patent on this vaccine?

Money, money, money. That's what it's all about. What a disgrace.

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To provide a little balance here, we had one decent SF Bay Area response - a major TV news station set about to find some Lyme patients to interview today

and then made a 5-minute presentation with a couple area Lyme patients and an LLMD, so I'm happy with some coverage!

The station made the points that Lyme is more common than you think, that it may be underreported by 10 times, and that infected ticks can be in parks and in front and back yards.

Patients made the points that they were confused about their various symptoms for quite awhile, and that they had seen several doctors prior to diagnosis.

One said that when he didn't get a positive test that he was sent to a psychiatrist, who treated him with anti-depressants, which don't treat this illness.

The LLMD was described as having 500 patients and remarked that confirmatory testing is missing, that patients' illnesses are missed half the time, and there are varying severities of illness species.

The segment ended with the admonition to check yourself for ticks and be assertive with your healthcare provider. I'll second that suggestion!

I called the station today and the person I spoke to said he had heard the report on the radio today.

So I think it was decent coverage in our area.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robin, that is very, very good news.

Then again CA has always been ahead of the curve, so to speak.

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, poppy is right on! The new vaccine is coming- they've got to do their hype and prep!

I've never seen them admit Lyme was bad unless it was for personal gain.

Sad bunch of goons they are. Makes me sick!

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Mall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27581

Here is some of the good press it's bringing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En9AwTWl0SQ

-----

Press release the day after the 300,000 cases was released

75.8 million in research dollars granted

http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2013/p0820-cdc-awards-funding.html

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement