LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » "Congratulations"....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Congratulations"....
GretaM
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok so while parking my car today, a neighbour came up and congratulated me on being pregnant.

I'm not pregnant. Just fat.

This is the THIRD week in a row, someone has congratulated me on being preggers.

A child asked me if I had a "baby in there" and touched my belly.

Another woman asked me when I was due.

I just responded, "No, I'm just fat"

But it is comments like those that make me depressed.

First off, I am just gaining weight in my belly. And the weight of my stomach makes my back cramp so my posture is poor. That in turn probably makes me look MORE pregnant.

Secondly, because of lyme I can't play sports anymore, so there isn't anyway for me to get rid of this fat.

Thirdly, yes pre-lyme I dreamt of being a mom some day. Now obviously, that likely won't be the case.

I am in a very foul mood now.

There should be a law that unless a woman is holding a bag from baby's r us, or juggling a box of diapers-no one should be allowed to congratulate fat women on being pregnant.
Grrr...

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daynise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39609

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daynise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got that too when I first gained weight after getting Lyme- in fact a customer at my job at the time actually said "are you sure you're not pregnant?"

Rude.

Now i am emaciated so i get the opposite awesome comments- "it must be your diet," "are you eating anything at all," "omg you could just blow away- eat something" etc, etc.

People just need to keep their mouths shut when it comes to other people's bodies. Period.

Sorry that happened to you Greta. [group hug]

Posts: 428 | From Midwest | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Daynise.

You are absolutely right! People should keep comments about others bodies to themselves.

Either end of the spectrum, thin or fat, sucks.

I am sorry people say that to you as well. It's not right to make comments about thinness especially when people can see you're ill.

I wanted to drown my sorrows in some emotional eating...cream puff, chocolate.

But what would it solve, and it would make lyme and co stronger.

Sigh. So I'm having a plate full of colors of the rainbow instead. Beets. Broccoli, cabbage, mushrooms.

Beating lyme is priority number one.

Thanks for the hug Daynise, I needed it bigtime.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry people are being rude to you. They should keep their mouths shut unless they know for a fact that you are pregnant!!

I also get comments on my lack of weight. Thankfully, I don't look sick .. but people think I'm not eating. No, I'm just not eating sugar.

This may shed light on why your gut is so distended:

http://www.naturalnews.com/042355_yeast_overgrowth_auto-brewery_syndrome_carbohydrates.html

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greta, I have to confess that I'm laughing. Not at you. I promise.

My husband did this to a woman at work. Total faux pas. She corrected him and he apologized into next week. And he will never do that again!

It was an honest mistake, and he thought he was acknowledging a happy event.

I'm sorry this happened to you. People can be so presumptuous. Honestly, is it any of their business anyway?

I get the yeast-baby look. Total basketball in there.

And I got the comments when I was emaciated. But never to my face! It was always, "So-and-so said this about you."

Ummm...you know I'm treating for Lyme. You didn't correct them? And are we in 8th grade again?!!!

So sorry. People can't imagine how difficult this illness is, and how little control we have over our bodies. They just assume we are like them. It's beyond annoying.

I am also in the thank-you-Lyme for stealing my chance at parenthood club. But nobody acknowledges THAT!

You'll get your bod back. Then you'll have the strength to slap these people around a bit. Enjoy that! [Big Grin]

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can completely relate. I have gained weight in my belly only. I have yeast, high cortisol and liver issues so my mid-section doesn't have a chance right now.

My Cardiologist of all people told me my heart symptoms would resolve ONCE THE BABY WAS BORN!!!!

I have a great comeback ready for the next person though. If they ask me when my due date is, I'm gonna say "October...of 2009". Hehe [Wink]

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I've been mistaken, too. In the '70's when the smock tops were popular and did hide "swelling" (or so I thought) - I wish I had thought to say that I was "just puffed"!

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/112235?#000000

Topic: Borrelia Weight Gain? Why? And What Helps - and helps us have more tender compassion for ourselves along the way.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your Cardiologist?!!!!

Now that's bad.

[lol] [lol] [lol] [lol]

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Lymetoo-When I saw that pic-now I know why men with beer bellies tuck their waistband under their belly-not on top where the belly button is.

I had an instant flash of the oompa loompas run through my head.

Pretty soon I'll be needing a green and yellow cap and some pointy shoes.

Haha

[ 10-07-2013, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: GretaM ]

GretaM
Member # 40917

Boxermom-Exactly! Zero control over our bodies.

Whoever said, "You are what you eat." obviously didn't have lyme.

Or we'd be a bunch of tablets capsules and tinctures...

I like the plan of slapping some sense into some folks when I get my bod back...big grin [Smile]

GretaM
Member # 40917

Laxmom-i hope that cardiologist had the sense to be embarassed! Yikes!

And that's a great line...October 2009...I think I'll use it if you're OK with that. [Smile]

In the summer my mom said that also, and got teared up because she thought she was going to be a grandma...that was hard... Feeling indignant and defensive and apologetic at the same time, and having to say, "Nope. Just fat."

I threw those pants out. I see now it wasn't the pants... Haha.

GretaM
Member # 40917

Keebler-yes those smock tops do that to me also.

I think it's the same with skinny jeans-I look like a candied apple with two sticks.

And goodness knows when I tried a Spanx. I was so worried I would have a lyme-incident and the firemen and paramedics would need to peel me out of my "sausage suit". It had the open seams so one could go to the bathroom without trying to take it off...would have been completely mortifying if I passed out wearing that...
I haven't worn it since.

[Smile]

surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh golly. This line:
'Yeast baby basketball look'
Yep! Can't stand it. Can't I even have my GF muffins and crackers? Ugh. Sux.

I am very thin, and until I could lift weights, did not look good.
(Not sayin' I look good now, but perhaps not as refugee like)

My mother-in-law who lives in town has said things to my face for years:
You'd really look better if you could gain 10 pounds, etc.

She thinks I am trying for this look, I guess. Probably because I refuse all the sugar gluten laden food at her house, despite trying to explain why.

I don't get it either- I'd never dream of sizing up another woman's body, making judgements, and then tell them to her face.

And the people that do this? Not exactly on the cover of
Fitness World Magazine themselves.

I'm sorry Greta :-( what a bunch of dorks.

[ 10-08-2013, 06:48 AM: Message edited by: surprise ]

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler, I seem to be losing some of my waist line since I started on berberine? I remember seeing you post about one positive effect you had from berberine was natural weight loss.

Is it also in your middle?

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme disease and the many symptoms. Ugh.
Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Haha! Surprise-yes, the ones commenting on "my baby" definitely wouldn't make the Beautiful People awards...

I don't understand why MIL, or boyfriend-in-laws feel it necessary to criticize appearances...

And I totally agree with you, when one refuses gluten or sugar-boms/pastries for some reason it gets people angry.

Today I am trying to stand up as straight as possible and suck in. The last thing I need is a pregnancy rumour at work. Gawd.

People can be such dorks!

GretaM
Member # 40917

Kam-exactly! If it isn't fluid leaking from one ear, or twitchy eyes, it's a bloated round belly.

Argh. The joys of lyme.

randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"i'm not fat, i'm fluffy"....

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not the Lyme, it's the yeast.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

It sucks!

Parasites, yeast, lyme etc.

Although I must say, consciously trying to stand up straight sure uses core muscles.

Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May I add my two cents in.....

The clothes they make for plus size do not always flatter my body...

The flutter short sleeves that show my linebacker arms

The prego poof at the front of the top certainly makes me look like I should be on the front of a tabloid "woman with complete hysterectomy pregnant in her late 50's!"

The low cut pants I try on that invite my muffin top to overflow and cause me to feel like the crotch of the pants is at my knees...

Spanx?? I used to wear those faithfully when I worked...now it would require surgery to get them off. Can't you hear the 911 call "help my spanx are on and I can't get them off ". then the 14 year old looking fireman would be mortified as they carted me off to the ER with the sounds of exploding spandex. Little pieces of flab creeping out- reminding them of the movie "Alien".....

Thank you Lyme and yeast.....

PS: sorry to railroad your post about clothing.....I am sorry for what was said to you, I have had that happen before. Truth be told, I felt sorrier for the girl that said it. She couldn't stop apologizing.....bet she never said it again.....

[ 10-11-2013, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: Dogsandcats ]

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tutu, exactly what I was thinking about me and adding in berberine. It's the yeast, one thing it seems to be attacking.

Jeans that were left unbuttoned last fall/winter are now buttoned.

Also the body is very smart....it will store fat around the organs because it knows the enemy is within.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Pam,

In answer to your question a few posts above, indeed, it seems that Berberine & Green Tea have just melted away now 43 pounds with absolutely no change in diet and no added exercise (I am severely exercise intolerant yet still do my best at slow things like Qi Gong).

I do not have a scale (BEST choice ever) but as I'm housesitting right now and could use their scale, it's another ten lower than a few months ago when I checked.

It's hard to use this keyboard and am tiring and numbing fast so can't add stuff I might like. I'd go as long as I can, tho;.

likely more the berberine but gthe green teA PROBL alsol is kehy. Wise food choices, fo course but that'[s always been the cae wuith me ahywya. sorry. can't fix. gotta go
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Dogsandcats-your post is hilarious! I was laughing very hard at the way you described the low rise pants...same here! Haha!
sparklyholiday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparklyholiday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greta, I can totally relate!!! I gained a lot of weight in my belly also (from lyme or not, I don't know).

I saw you were posting about going low carb - When I stopped wheat, my belly wasn't as bloated (it's still big, but it's more in line with the rest of my body), so if you do give up wheat, that might help a little - not with the fat, but with the bloating below the fat.

Funny story - I had the opposite happen! 2 years ago, I was seeing a gynecologist (I'd never met) for a tumor in my uterus. And I guess out of habit, he walked in the door and said, "How far along are we now?"

Then looked at me, laughed and said, "Woops!"

So at least TO HIM, I didn't look pregnant! LOL

Posts: 173 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a huge change when I gave up dairy, grains, starches and sugar. The weight just seemed to fall off.
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparklyholiday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparklyholiday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ellen, those are exactly the items I gave up... It's made a huge difference.
Posts: 173 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my gosh Dogsandcats don't get me started about Spanx!

I wore a flesh colored Spanx to work one time with a black tank top and black sheer lace shirt over it. The tank top had ridden up through the day and I didn't notice because the Spanx prevented my belly from feeling the draft of air!

When I got home and looked in the mirror, it looked like I had a lace shirt with my bare belly under it!!!! No one even told me about it all day long!

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Spanx (or really any synthetic petroleum sausage casing we don) will not allow our skin (or private parts) to breathe. That trapped heat and moisture (and germs) are bad enough. But the sounds of that degree of suffocation can be dreadful ! :-)

Just sign me,

Cotton Girl
-

GretaM
Member # 40917

laxmom and Keebler-
[Big Grin]

Haha! Had some big laughs at your spanx tales!

Yes funny how we are willing to wear the sausage casing on our privates, but if anyone suggested I put a pair of socks on made from the same material I'd call them cuckoo.

My mom, bless her, came to my house to help me with my laundry. Somewhere in the mountain of dirty clothes were the spanx. They got washed and dried and now are about a size 4 (kids).

Thank goodness they are shrunk. Great excuse to never don them again!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement