LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » International Travel & Vaccinations

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: International Travel & Vaccinations
happydaychick
Member # 37799

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happydaychick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next year, I am planning a trip to Bali/Indonesia. There are a bunch of immunizations required - Hepatitis A, MMR, Typhoid, and Tetanus. My tetanus and MMR(I think) are up-to-date.

I am concerned about getting the vaccinations... but you cannot go without the injections. And, the thought of not going on this once in a lifetime trip is just unthinkable... this disease has already prevented me from taking real vacations for 3 years now... well, anyway, you all know with the frustrations this disease causes.

Its an easy choice not to get a flu shot... but to chose to not get these and then not be able to travel... not an easy decision.

Has anyone else been faced with this and how did you handle it? Do you make sure you are on abx when you get the immunizations? I am assuming I can spread the shots out and not get them all at once 4 weeks before I go on the trip to lessen the blow to my immune system?

Thanks for your input!

Posts: 80 | From New England | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I will weigh in on what I think.

I had a tetanus booster about two months ago.

I had a terrible lyme flare from it.

It damaged/weakened my already weak immune system and I am still on a downward spiral from it.

For that reason, and the way my body reacted, I am dead set against vaccines.

Flu, pertussis etc. The vaccines north America is pushing currently...a big NO!

However, that being said...I read travel mags at night so I have something to live for and to dream about.

My number one motivator for getting well is to travel the globe and see exciting places.

So I understand your trip completely.

Personally, for me, if I am still fighting lyme and co by 2015, then before I lose my ability to see or walk I will get my vaccines, (as heavy metal free, and least toxic as possible), and go on my trips.

I have already lost a fair bit of things I enjoy because of these stupid infections. My future is now irretractably altered from lyme.

I am fully aware that vaccines will likely aggravate lyme and co.

But I only live once and I would like to see the world before I give up to these infections. So if the vaccines are mandatory to visit a country I've always wanted to see...I'll get the vaccines.

The travel mags and future dreams of travel, are the only dreams I have currently. Everything else has crumbled into dust.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son traveled to the Dominican Republic last summer. He had to have several vaccines before he could go.

He ended up getting three vaccines which he didn't take all at once but spaced out over several months.

He did fine and has had no ill effects.

I have read that vit D3 and cod liver oil supps are helpful.

You might want to google dr blaylock and vaccines. Seems i remember reading something online by him about how to mitigate the effects.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
It would be best to first consult as soon as you can for planning support (&/or any possible alternatives that would qualify) with a naturopathic physician. If you can find a LL ND, all better.

For required vaccines, they would know the support for you - and also be able to advise you on particular manufacturers to avoid mercury and other additives, IF possible.

A ND could also teach you what to do if you need medical care while traveling. And how to present supplements at air port security so they will pass through -- or where to get what you need at your destinations.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happydaychick
Member # 37799

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happydaychick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your feedback! [Smile]
Posts: 80 | From New England | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sister travels to Africa (the 4th world Africa) and she gets all the shots. She does NOT have Lyme, but she has seen the different illnesses ravage the body. She got malaria even with all the precautions.

Again - she is in a seriously infected area and does not have Lyme.

Tough decision. I guess it depends on whether you can travel without the vaccines.

I would space them out and start them when they recommend.

My sis also goes to the County health dept and the shots are considerably less - unless your insurance pays for them.

good luck.....bottom line is to have fun and stay well......you will know what is right for your body.

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got the typhus vaccine when I was very ill but not yet diagnosed with Lyme. I did fine. No reaction.

I got the Hep A and Hep B series several years later. Again, did fine.

Like you, I would never get a vaccine by choice, but these were for travel, so I felt it was worth the risk.

And I certainly could not afford to contract another serious illness. Can you imagine?

In your shoes, I would space out the required vaccines as much as possible and go on the trip. Make sure your inflammation is well under control before vaccinating!

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Greta, you are now my designated Lyme travel buddy.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had to get several travel vaccines before going on some volunteer trips around the world. I got them all at the health dept each time and never had a problem with any of them.

The first time I went to the health dept for the shots I was nervous. All kinds of thoughts going through my head. Afterward though, it was no big deal, tiny little pokes and barely little any arm aches if at all.

It was all so worth it for the experiences gained helping others while living/learning their cultures. These memories I will never forget. I will cherish forever. Some of the best times of my life!

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement