LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Preparing for business travel with a co-worker

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Preparing for business travel with a co-worker
sparklyholiday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparklyholiday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys!

So I'm new... (both here and in my lyme journey). I'm still trying to settle into a new routine and in a week from Monday, I need to go on business travel with a co-worker whom I don't prefer to know about my condition.

The issues I'm worried about:

1. I don't eat grains, and they only offer a continental breakfast. I don't tolerate my doxy very well, so I need a REAL FULL meal to take it with. I thought about bringing something, but there's no microwave in the rooms (already checked their site). The only thing I can think of is lunch meat and raw veggies and fruit. HELP.

2. I take all of my supplements with lunch - they're all fairly large and I have a large container that I keep them all in. At work I can keep them in my desk drawer and just take them before I eat or before I go out. But with a coworker at an event, I guess I an just buy a purse? (I don't usually carry a purse).

3. I don't think dinner will be a problem b/c we will likely eat out, and I can get a meat and a veggie and that should be enough for my evening doxy.

I guess now that I talked all that out - my only main concern is breakfast. LOL THAT and I just don't feel like going... *whine*

Any ideas for breakfasts big enough that I can eat in my room before I go out for the day that doesn't need to be cooked or microwave that is grain and dairy free?

Thanks much!

Posts: 173 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MannaMe
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you take a small lunch box with ice packs to keep something like yogurt, apples, dip & veggies, cheese and meat? Nuts would be something else that doesn't spoil.

If its kept cold enough, hard boil some eggs - could make egg salad or chicken salad.

Posts: 2260 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You should be able to eat breakfast in a restaurant. There is no need to offer any explanation other than you need a good sit-down breakfast. You can go alone, just plan the timing.

Someplace that would serve veggies and baked or broiled fish would be perfect (though hard to find for breakfast, if they have it on their dinner menu, you might arrange such for breakfast by calling days ahead).

Find out where you are to stay and then Google for eating options nearby -- or call the front desk.

There may also be a market nearby (even better if there is a natural foods market) - and maybe a fridge in your room (but, if so, take ear plugs as they can be very noisy).

It's also quite fine to just say that you have some "dietary restrictions" if you feel the need to cover. Or just say nothing. Eat what you like that works for you.

If you feel the need to explain taking any Rx or supplement, you should not. If you have to take while with someone (best if you can avoid that, though) just do it and talk about OTHER THINGS.

Planning is key. I'm not sure taking any food that requires refrigeration and relying on an ice pack for more that about an hour or two would be safe.

You can take raw veggies, though and then just wash and cook. A can of sardines, too. And a lemon to cover the aroma. WILD PLANET SARDINES are very "clean" and the best I've found.

HUMMUS can be good for any meal. It can be frozen for travel but the consistency will be a little odd, though still good food for your body.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
ENJOY yourself. You will be meeting new people, have a chance to use your brain and personality - and just be somewhere else (even if not an exotic vacation spot), it's always fun to see new places and meet new people.

When you learn how they do things there - and issues they may face and need input about - you will become an asset to your company.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best thing is to act normal when you take a med or eat differently than others. You could be on weight watchers and taking your own food. You could be taking vitamins - I see many people take those.

In a business setting, offer the least information - nicely - "trying to get healthy". If anyone gets nosy and asks---repeat.

Sad to say, some workplace "friends" are not trustworthy and some here have run into problems with "health gossip" at work.

You will get better and you don't want anything holding you back from the corner office - if that is what you wish !!

Hope you have some fun!

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are concerned about being seen taking pills can you keep them in your pocket or tucked in your bra?

Then excuse yourself to go to the washroom, and take them there?

Or even better, take them when your coworker goes to the washroom.

My coworkers know (now), so I am lucky to be able to be very open about pill taking.

Nuts, hard boiled eggs, veggies. Plain Greek yogurt. Dry cottage cheese. Hemp hearts. Kale chips. Raw crackers (flax seed ones, low carb). Protein powder in a shaker. Can of sardines or mackerel.

I have a package of kale chips with me everywhere I go...

Kale addiction is a lonely road...haha.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Yes, best to take pills when alone, if possible but rest rooms can be laden with germs so think ahead if that is the last resort.

Practice with trusted friends or family members who will put you on the spot unexpected and ask thing such as:

What's that?

Why don't you eat . . . ?"

Wanna drink?

Why go to bed so early? The night is young.

Replies can be, in just the right nonchalant tone:

[pills, diet?] Oh, just some basic health maintenance.

Just like to give my body what works. (Never imply you are anything less than okay, though).

Gotta give these brain cells a rest!

Wanna clock in some dream time, it can take a little longer to settle into a hotel.
-

sparklyholiday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparklyholiday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much guys!

Many of my co-workers know (and this co-worker may know) but there's something that makes me uncomfortable with this co-worker that I can't quite put my finger on, so it's just not really the person I want to talk to about it. So trying to "appear normal" is pretty important for me for this trip!

Good point on taking my pills when he goes to the washroom to wash his hands, because I know he will do that! So that's perfect for eating out.

It's a 2 hour drive to where we are going... I think I might be able to pack a few hard boiled eggs for breakfasts with some ice packs (they have refrigerators there). Then I can have the hard boiled eggs before I meet him at the continental breakfast, and then there, I can follow up with some fruit! :-)

All of these were such helpful tips! :-) HUGS Thanks again!!!!

Posts: 173 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jjourneys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jjourneys   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luckily, since being DXd with Lyme and having to take all these ABX & supplements, I have asked not to go on travel for a while and they have agreed to that!!!

Even if your room has no microwave, usually in the breakfast room there are microwaves available.

Continental breakfasts can work: they usually have boiled eggs, some type of precooked eggs that you can put in the microwave, lots of fruits (I find bananas seem to help coat the stomach pretty good!), and yogurt.

I usually take extra bananas and yogurt back to my room so I have them for the following morning to take meds with. I also have plenty of snacks packed away in my suitcase for emergencies.

You do NOT have to tell anyone why you're taking anything. "Staying healthy with vitamins and supplements" is a good answer if you have to provide one.

Good luck on your trip. Glad you only have to drive 2 hrs. My trips take 13 hrs to get there (flying, layovers & driving) and when I'm on the road, each day is filled with 2-4 hr drives to get to the destination and no food available, other than what I pack in my backpack, while we're out. It's tough, that's why I requested no more travel for a while.

Good luck and try to have fun!

Posts: 250 | From East Coast | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dal123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6313

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dal123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pay extra attention to your instincts. Under NO circumstances this "co-worker" and or anyone else you work with know anything about your health issues. It may be this co worker has a way of taking anything and backfiring it on you or anyone else.

keep it light , if asked, play dumb, oh, taking vitamins for sports training, ie weights, etc.

Posts: 532 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about packing some almond butter. Its really delicious and filling. I am grain free as well so I know what you mean about needing to take your doxy with something filling. Back when I was on antibiotics I needed to do the same but was not grain free then so a gluten free waffle worked.
These cookies are phenomenal and grain free. http://www.goraw.com/c/21/super-cookies-chips
You could make your own almond milk and stick it in a thermos prior to travel. I wouldn't worry too much about questions now a days people are really into vitamins and supplements. I take digestive enzymes with every meal to help me fully digest my food, that is a possible answer you could give.

My coworkers are fully aware of my Lyme diagnosis so when I'm popping stuff throughout the day no one gives it a second thought.

Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine was taking ber pills and supplements in a restaurant. Some sob thought she was a.drug user and came back with the management. It took a couple of hours plus contacting her husband and doctor to get it. Cleared up. She was furious.

My sil who is diabetic also had a problem with a public restroom. Same thing.

So if you're going to take pills do it in the stall. Not in the public area.

And follow your instincts about this coworker. Better safe than sorry.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I applaud you for going. I called in sick the day of a event I had to travel for the first months I was treating.

Most of these continental breakfasts also have yogurt available and fruit.

some other things that travel well... nut or seed butters (I like sun butter) on celery or apples (pack a knife)

if there is a fridge... you can cook up some turkey burgers. freeze them and take them with you frozen. they should be defrosted by time you get there. I like them cold...

try to have fun.

Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement