LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Quiz Time -- Name the 11 Tickborne Diseases Found in the Northeastern U.S.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Quiz Time -- Name the 11 Tickborne Diseases Found in the Northeastern U.S.
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bartonella does not count because the IDSA does not believe it can be transmitted by ticks.

I think there are more than 11, but that is the number cited in the article I read.

One hint is that at least 3 have no commercially available tests.

I will come back to this thread in a day or two and check to see if 11 or more diseases are listed here.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What??? Bart doesn't count? [Wink]

I know Ehrlichia has to be one. That's the first tick disease I was diagnosed with.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haha. OK. Here goes

Babesia
Lyme
Erlichia
Anaplasma
Relapsing Tick Fever
Mycoplasma
Rikettsia
Q fever
Tularemia

Argh that's all I have... 9 haha.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigstan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigstan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anaplasmosis is transmitted to humans by tick bites primarily from the blacklegged tick (Ixodes scapularis) in the northeastern and upper midwestern U.S. and the western blacklegged tick (Ixodes pacificus) along the Pacific coast.

Babesiosis is caused by microscopic parasites that infect red blood cells. Most human cases of babesiosis in the United States are caused by Babesia microti. Babesia microti is transmitted by the blacklegged tick (Ixodes scapularis) and is found primarily in the Northeast and upper Midwest.

Ehrlichiosis is transmitted to humans by the lone star tick (Ambylomma americanum), found primarily in the southcentral and eastern U.S.

Lyme disease is transmitted by the blacklegged tick (Ixodes scapularis) in the northeastern U.S. and upper Midwestern U.S. and the western blacklegged tick (Ixodes pacificus) along the Pacific coast.

Powassan is transmitted by the blacklegged tick (Ixodes scapularis) and Ixodes cookei or Ixodes marxi ticks, in the northeastern U.S. and Great Lakes region.

Rickettsia parkeri Rickettsiosis is transmitted to humans by the Gulf Coast tick (Amblyomma maculatum).

Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (RMSF) is transmitted by the American dog tick (Dermacentor variabilis), Rocky Mountain wood tick (Dermacentor andersoni), and the brown dog tick (Rhipicephalus sangunineus) in the U.S. The brown dog tick and other tick species are associated with RMSF in Central and South America.

STARI (Southern Tick-Associated Rash Illness) is transmitted via bites from the lone star tick (Ambylomma americanum), found in the southeastern and eastern U.S.

Tickborne relapsing fever (TBRF) is transmitted to humans through the bite of infected soft ticks. TBRF has been reported in 15 states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Kansas, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming and is associated with sleeping in rustic cabins and vacation homes.

Tularemia is transmitted to humans by the dog tick (Dermacentor variabilis), the wood tick (Dermacentor andersoni), and the lone star tick (Amblyomma americanum). Tularemia occurs throughout the U.S.

364D Rickettsiosis (Rickettsia phillipi, proposed) is transmitted to humans by the Pacific Coast tick (Dermacentor occidentalis ticks). This is a new disease that has been found in California.

There you go.

--------------------
HERX is a Four Letter Word!

Posts: 716 | From If you're going through hell, keep going......Winston Churchill | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Big Stan -- Great summary. I didn't know about the 364D Rickettsiosis -- but that looks to only be in California and not in the Northeast.

There is another new one that has been in the news in the last year or so you missed.

Also at least one "older" infection not many are diagnosed with anymore.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Greta -- I need to check, but pretty sure mycoplasma is considered an opportunistic infection and has not "officially" been proven to be spread by ticks.

Q fever or coxiella burnetii needs to be added to Stan's list -- good catch.

Bea Seibert

Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Borrelia miyamotoi has apparently been found in ticks in the NE USA...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carmen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Colorado tick fever.
Posts: 803 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yikes! I didn't know about the new rikettsia either!

You know, everytime I get reminded about ticks, Nature's Cesspool, I honestly can't understand why ticks are here.

Honestly, what is a ticks purpose?

Can't we as humans just blitz the ticks?

Well, project #1 on my to do list: contact the university's entymology department and ask them just that.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Razzle -- Yes, borrelia miyamoti is the new one Big Stan missed.

Carmen -- I think Colorado tick fever is only found in Western states, but I need to research that.

There is still at least one more tick transmitted disease that no one has mentioned.

Bea Seibert

map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just told last night at our support meeting, by a lyme activists that bartonella was added to US NIH website. I need to go check for myself.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay this is what I found. But this is not updated info? I'll need to get with her and see what she's seeing.

http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/emerging/Pages/list.aspx

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

One of the ones missing from the list is Tick Paralysis.

I can think of 2 more that no one has suggested.

One discovered in 2013 is a virus found in humans in Missouri and animals in Minnesota (hint, hint).

The other one is a food allergy. (hint, hint)

Bea Seibert

surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, but as someone with Bartonella as a primary and unrelenting infection,

the little 'scratch from a kitty cat' deal
makes me crazy.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Surprise,

I can totally relate. Hubby's seizure like spells of over 9 years in duration only went away once he got a clean bloodslide with no more coccobacilli.

I am actually going to have hubby's lawyer ask the I.D. docs how many tickborne infections they can name and see how they do on this quiz. And then of course ask them how many they tested him for!!!!!!!!!!!! And if the lawyer really wants to put them on the spot he can ask details about symptoms, tests and treatment for each infection.

And we could always ask which species of tick "supposedly" carries each infection and what the transmission time is for each infection. And then when they prove they are not experts and probably know less than anyone on this forum about tickborne illnesses the lawyer can ask why they did not call hubby's LLMD for the entire month he was in the ICU.

Bea Seibert

surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Bea. It's insane. ((hugs))

Sending you good thoughts.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moving to General Support

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not only is bartonella not included but IDSA recommends AGAINST treating bartonella as part of lyme treatment protocols.

This is a .pdf from the IDSA website. Not sure which of the date of these guidelines.
http://tinyurl.com/lazttur

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd add nematodes to the list--parasitic worms. Don't know if it has an official name or not.

Hiker53

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8876 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heartland virus & red meat allergy? [hi]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

AliG -- right you are.

There are of course other infections that are potentially carried by ticks that are not "officially" recognized by the IDSA.

West Nile virus is one that comes to mind.

And of course we can't leave off FL1953 -- never can remember how to spell the new name.

Hiker 53 -- not sure if filarial worms are the same as what you are referring to or not?

Bea Seibert

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement