LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Columbia tick-borne research center treatment page:(

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Columbia tick-borne research center treatment page:(
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From their treatment page:

http://www.columbia-lyme.org/patients/ld_treatment.html

"What can we conclude about the net impact of these 4 randomized controlled studies conducted among patients with persistent symptoms after treatment? The two Klempner studies were negative while the Krupp study was positive on the primary measure of fatigue upon which the patients were enrolled."

"The Fallon study showed a moderate improvement in cognition favoring the ceftriaxone group but this improvement was not sustained except on some of the secondary measures."

"The simplest conclusions would be: a) some studies show clinical improvement in response to repeated antibiotic therapy while others do not; b) IV antibiotics in particular are associated with serious risks; and c) other treatment approaches need to be investigated that are safer and lead to larger and sustained improvement."

I sent this message to them via their contact
information.

To whom it may concern,
If you are going to provide studies that are supposed to help one make reasonable treatment decisions, the least you can do is include the analysis showing serious flaws in those studies. They are significant and should be considered.

For example - the klempner study
http://lymedisease.org/news/lymepolicywonk/lymepolicywonk-new-study-reveals-fatal-flaws-in-nih-klempner-trial-statistical-analysis-is-this-error-human-incompetence-or-worse.html

I spent considerable time trying to determine if I would benefit from treatment for chronic lyme. Had I read your treatment page I may never have received the proper treatment. I can say from my own experience that treatment made a huge difference for me. My sister and brother are not so lucky. One sister died and my brother is not expected to live much longer. I blame the treatment controversy for the early loss of their lives and for the loss of many thousands of others who believe the authors of these deeply flawed studies.

Your information is not complete and thus is not providing a service but a disservice. Please tell the whole story by providing the credible and useful information mentioned in the link above.

This is the page I am referring to
http://www.columbia-lyme.org/patients/ld_treatment.html

Sincerely,
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Terry---------

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nicely done Terry!

That will take some gas out of their tanks.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The big problem with Columbia is that patients raised millions of dollars to fund the research center, but the directors of the group try to be independent -- can't be done. You either believe in chronic lyme or you don't. And we all know that data can be interpreted in multiple ways.

I have been very disappointed with their organ donation program. Very hard to communicate and little follow-up. In trying to find out what has been done with hubby's specimen's, I finally got an email that only said the researcher was in Europe and out of the country until the end of November.

No answer as to whether a report has been written or any testing done on hubby's brain. So now the other reearchers that have expressed an interest in doing additional testing also have to wait as well.

I know many who have been disappointed in the 2nd opinion program as well.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elara
Member # 41819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elara     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The big problem with Columbia is that patients raised millions of dollars to fund the research center, but the directors of the group try to be independent -- can't be done.

You either believe in chronic lyme or you don't. And we all know that data can be interpreted in multiple ways.

I went to Columbia for their Lyme 2nd opinion service. They are good people.

There is a desperate need for good researchers pushing the science of the controversies as they do but without being "labeled" such that they lose their credibility.

There are some doctors/researchers that will never change their minds. There are others and younger ones that can be influenced by good science.

If Dr Fallon and Columbia pulled away from the mainstream too far, we would lose a credible influence that is dearly needed.

They are among the few researchers doing studies designed to expose the issues that still have credibility.

Be thankful of their effort as few are doing the real science that the mainstream will accept that test the limits. They do need to report the results honestly - even if its not what some would like.

Without researchers like Fallon's group that retain their credibility, it will take far longer before we turn the corner. If new young researchers get all their input from the standard Lyme researchers, nothing will ever change.

They need to ride the credibility line.

Posts: 53 | From Jupiter | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
elara,

I am glad if you found the 2nd opinion program useful. I have heard different from other people -- comments such as what a waste of $5000. And yes, I do have a personal bias -- they would not even see my husband -- said he was too sick to take part in their program. And this was over a year before he died when we actually thought he had a chance to beat the chronic babesia. And we had catastrophic insurance coverage so all bills would have been paid 100 percent.

The Fallon study was important, but as we all know since antibiotics were tested for such a short period of time in that study as in others the patient improvements were not long lasting.

There is just so much research that needs to be done.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
elara - If they truly were presenting unbiased scientific data I would not be complaining but it is clear that they are not.

I understand the credibility issue. That said, Columbia does have a reputation to maintain so why are they touting terribly flawed studies as a basis for making treatment decisions without at least providing the statistical analysis of those studies?

I find their presentation disingenuous.

Bea - Sorry to hear of the trouble with Columbia donation program and of your experience with them. I remember hearing of yours and quite a few others who did not have good experiences at Columbia.

Greta and surprise - [Smile] I won't hold my breath for a response but if I get one I'll be sure to post it.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
miyamotoi
Member # 41833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for miyamotoi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might read these before criticizing one of the few researchers actually fighting for you.

Fallon sets the record straight: Part 1

http://lymedisease.org/news/lyme_disease_views/lymepolicywonk-dr-fallon-sets-the-record-straight%E2%80%94part-1-size-matters.html

Fallon sets the record straight: Part 2

http://lymedisease.org/news/lymepolicywonk/lymepolicywonk-dr-fallon-sets-the-record-straight%E2%80%94part-2-differences-matter.html

A Reappraisal of the U.S. Clinical Trials of Post-Treatment Lyme Disease Syndrome

http://benthamscience.com/open/toneuj/articles/V006/SI0078TONEUJ/79TONEUJ.pdf

http://lymedisease.org/news/lyme_disease_views/lymepolicywonk-dr-fallon%E2%80%99s-suggestions-for-future-guidelines.html

Posts: 51 | From California | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

miyamotoi- Thanks for providing links. It will take some time to read them.

Let me be clear. I am NOT critisizing Dr. Fallon, I am critisizing the Columbia Research center treatment page. There is no author listed on the page that I could find.

If Dr. Fallon did write the treatment page for Columbia Research Center then why isn't the information in the links that you provided included along with the informaion provided here?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22922244

The treatment page makes it look like those studies should be used to make treatment decisions.

Terry

TerryK
Member # 8552

A good example of the gravity of the flaws in those studies is the Kaplan et al. study. In order to show cognitive improvement, the participants would have had to perform better than healthy individuals. Hows that for developing a study that is sure to show what you want - that retreatment does not work? Unless the participants could perform better than a healthy person, the study results showed no benefit.

Don't you think ppl should know that if they are to rely on these studies to make such a serious decision about their health?

The other big issue that is not talked about is that many of the older studies did not take into account that one can have a bullseye rash and NOT be infected with a strain that causes illness. This makes those studies useless since saying that short term abx cured lyme disease when the person never had it to begin with really skews the results. This information was pointed out in the book "Cure Unknown".

PS
Forgot to mention that apparently a number early studies included study participants because they had a bullseye rash. A bullseye rash alone was considered a sure sign of lyme disease, no testing necessary. Not so anymore of course.
Terry

[ 10-23-2013, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: TerryK ]

Anthropologista
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anthropologista     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was disturbed by the crucial gaps in information around those studies too. Thank you for writing, Terry.

The critiques of these studies are real mainstream science, published in reputable mainstream journals. To include them is good scholarship. To omit them is outdated scholarship.

Posts: 431 | From New England | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rivendell
Member # 19922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivendell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Pamela Weintraub's Cure Unknown, she includes Fallon's inpute quite a bit.

Yet, when I heard him interviewed on NPR, he was hesitant to say that lyme can cause mental disorders. He sort of beat around the bush about it.

My sense was that he has to please the mainstream to some extent to keep the money coming for research.

But I don't think you can live in both worlds. At least not forever.

I hope the time is right for researchers who truly understand chronic lyme to not be afraid to pull away from the mainstream and make the honest results of unflawed studies available for all to read.

Bea I am so sorry for your husband.

--------------------
Herbal Treatments for Lyme and Co-Infections:
http://buhnerhealinglyme.com
http://www.tiredoflyme.com/the-cowden-protocol-for-lyme-disease.html http://www.sinomedresearch.org http://www.lymenet.org/SupportGroups/

Posts: 1358 | From Midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement