LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » LTD Insurance Independent Medical Exam

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: LTD Insurance Independent Medical Exam
terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I managed to get my Cignal LTD approved. I should have updated my original thread where I asked questions about how to get approved. It turned out that I didn't need an attorney or to fill out the paper work they provided. I think it was all approved due to a letter my LLMD sent them.

Anyways I just got a registered letter in the mail from Cigna requesting that I go to a doctor of their choice for a medical exam. They want all test results, scans etc. Some of my tests indicate issues but some are normal. I did have a neuro-psych test done by a lyme friendly doctor and am still awaiting the report (which I hope will go in my favor).

My question is more about the exam. My medication helps my symptoms. Do I stop my medication so they can see how I really am? Anyone have any advice on how to get through an exam with what I am assuming to be a non-lyme friendly doctor?

[ 11-18-2013, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: terv ]

Posts: 833 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I typed out a response to this yesterday???? I must have forgot to hit add reply?

Prior to testing or appt. Cigna would need to tell me exactly what type medical doctor they are requesting I see.

I would continue my medication. If you sx aren't visible because of medication, well that's one way you control your sx. Not including the avoidance of stress, need to rest freq and your limitations upon doing normal life and the effect it has on you.

Also your LLMD notes should have the sx visible or verbal from you and his reason for tx.

Watch out terv, they are going to try to swing your tail around. I would also ask them if this medical doctor has any experience with Chronic Lyme Disease patients???

After all, if you had cancer, they wouldn't send you to a doctor that doesn't practice, treat and know cancer.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blinkie1
Member # 42790

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been there, done that. If it is paid for and you are seeing their Dr, it is NOT independent. IT is well known in the industry that these DR's are PAID to find that you are NOT disabled.

Mine asked me what I do outside. I said, I rarely go outside but if I do, I can water the grass, which just means turning on the sprinkler. She wrote in the report that I "garden".

I had a bad cold that day and I clearly wasn't well. She wrote that I appeared fine and not ill at all. Hows that possible? I was doped up on cold meds, sneezing, coughing, runny nose, etc.

They will twist everything you say. Here is my advice.

1. say as little as possible. Yes or no answers ONLY if possible.
2. Bring someone with you to sit in on the exam and interview.
3. Ask if you can record the interview (doubt they will let you, but seriously try. I wish I had). The worst they can do is tell you no.

In the end, I was denied further disability coverage. I now have a lawyer and I am fighting it.

--------------------
2 years orals, 2 years IV, 2 years anti-parasitics 95% well on good days. Trouble is, not every day is a good day. Formerly "blinkie"

Posts: 25 | From Northern California | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the responses. Cigna has another company setting up the appointment. I called yesterday to push it back a week because I wanted my husband there and he cannot get off until work until then. They said they would send a car.

I replied that I will not have all the diagnostic test results/reports etc that they requested in their letter until then. They replied Cigna will provide all that (shows you how independent this will be). At the end of the discussion, I did manage to get them to at least try and get it postponed.

I googled the doctor. He is a rheumotologist specializing in fibromylagia. He mentions lyme as a possible cause of fibro.

While I have other symptoms, nerve pain in my jaw area is what drove me to my lyme diagnosis. The reason I ask about reducing my meds is that I fear that the pain will be significantly reduced if I am examined. Also other symptoms really come back which will probably be evident in the exam/discussion.

We do have a lawyer who answered some questions we had about this exam for free. She probably hopes she will eventually get the job when we have to appeal (which is fine). She had the same advice to only answer "yes" or "no" and the goal should be to get in and get out.

Posts: 833 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now SSA sent me to a pysch doc. I thought he reported I was fine and able to work.

About 4 weeks after the appt with him, SSA sent me my second rejection letter.

When I hired a lawyer and appealed and went before a judge....I got all my paperwork and found out the pysch doc they sent me to actually stated that I was disabled and very depressed about the loss of my work.

So why would you ask for a docs opinion, ignore his dx and deny me again? That's their plan, more people will just go away and follow up with more red tape.

SSA didn't realize that I fight for truth and my rights. Thank goodness I hired the lawyer. I just wish I would have hired him sooner, after the first appeal.

They loaded me down with so much paperwork. But I took my time and just did a little of it every few days. Explained in my appeal, how this process was harmful and taking days and hours for me to complete.

I barely made the deadline they put on me.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement