LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » some funny new member names

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: some funny new member names
TNT
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 42349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have noticed lately that under "Welcome to the newest member" spot that some of the new members are registering with names that are a (seem to be) long string of random letters and numbers.

I guess these new members are doing this intentionally, but I had to question whether this is really practical for them and for the rest of us.

I for one will never be able to remember the "name" of some of these members (especially with my lyme brain).

This is my opinion and feeling on this, but it seems a little impersonable to me. There is nothing quite like a unique, readable handle when it comes to relating to one another on a forum like this.

Hope no one is offended.

Posts: 1308 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carmen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had exactly the same thought. Hard to associate a personal identity to a word that you can't pronounce, spell or remember.

Unlike you TNT... your a real bombshell that makes an imprint! [kiss]

Posts: 803 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one I saw this am, I considered possibly spam.
Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they are 'Bots.
Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I've noted and mentioned to Tutu the unusual large number of "guests" on the site at one time. 300, 350, 250 guests at one time.

I've also noticed the names and something is smelling really fishy.

Who in the world would be watching and reading little old lyme folks and their posts and threads????

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y ah I noticed too and thought who the hell would use thT as a name???

Sumpin going on....

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, they are robots or whatever. Just be aware that not everyone who signs up is here for the right reasons.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen to that...

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthropologista
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anthropologista     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The latest member gave his/her location as Kazakhstan. Not impossible, but certainly unusual.
Posts: 431 | From New England | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fake for sure

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
214 guests.

How many are 'Bots I wonder.

It sure jams up the site.

I wonder if it's like a job interview.

Certain words are assigned a value.

At the end of the interview, the numbers are tallied.

Maybe it's the same for the 'Bots trolling our posts.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Winesnob81
Member # 42355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Winesnob81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Careful.... are you trying to say there isn't Lyme disease in Kazakhstan? You sound like an ID doc now....

kidding of course [Smile]

Posts: 31 | From Davis, CA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

It's everywhere, it's everywhere! [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Anthropologista
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anthropologista     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL, Winesnob!
Posts: 431 | From New England | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen
Member # 42834

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been a guest for 17 years! before I decided to register as a member. I'm just shy. Perhaps many of the "guests" are legitimate but hesitant about sharing personal information on the www. I did choose a real name though upon registering, not because it's mine, but because I like it. Do you think a note on the registration page asking folks to choose an easy to remember name would help? Of course I'm aware also that many people are just nosy, but maybe they're not the majority of guests.

--------------------
Ellen
_ _ ___________ _ _
lyme disease
dysautonomia
Chiari malformation
anxiety

Posts: 72 | From Birmingham, AL | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen
Member # 42834

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I wouldn't have picked Ellen had i known it was already in use. Sorry other Ellen- didn't men to pick your name!

--------------------
Ellen
_ _ ___________ _ _
lyme disease
dysautonomia
Chiari malformation
anxiety

Posts: 72 | From Birmingham, AL | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw this:

Welcome to our newest member: Anal McLooney

Hmmmmmm.....

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Haha! Me too Judie!
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can someone tell me where to see these newest members?
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

If you click on the Questions and Discussions link, in the top right area it will say,

Newest Member:

Then the name of the newest member.

It may even say, Welcome Newest Member,

Can recall exactly, but it is on the Questions and. Discussions overview page.

[Smile]

MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
got it, thanks
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
Yes, they are robots or whatever. Just be aware that not everyone who signs up is here for the right reasons.

Sadly true.
Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNT
Member # 42349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"2lymesnococonuts" Now that's a neat (and funny) new member name!!!
Posts: 1308 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

You can always click on "directory" to see the newest members.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Answer to that one: 2coconutsnoLyme -
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I looked at the registry and found a certain lymie with over 80k posts.

I'm concerned 22 -- you up over 80k posts. what happens if you hit 100k. I want to start the panic now -- like y2k. Will airplanes fall out of the sky or the nations electrical grid come to halt.

I think we should all be very concerned.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Yes, that is indeed pretty scary. Maybe I should retire then.

You guys might expect me to give everyone a hundred bucks or something when that happens!

Or .. Lymenet could send me $100,000 ? [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I told you already, we doubled your salary from 0.00 to 00.0000 -
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNT
Member # 42349

I've noticed again lately that some of the new member's names are not very readable.... this one is(more or less) - "OlgaZuhTX," but a number of them have not been.

We had what seemed to be a troll on the Microscopy Thread a while back. It's never good to trust anyone new...until they get established... and are vetted :-)

me
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the possible heads up, TNT.

--------------------
Just sharing my experiences, opinions, and what I've read and learned. Not medical advice.

Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNT
Member # 42349

Here's the current new member, "OlgaGycTX."

Could this be the same person who made the previous new member profile???

Looks awfully suspicious!

HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HW88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL, I just loved reading this thread. Thanks for the giggles.
Posts: 798 | From Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Thanks for bringing up this thread again - haven't heard anything lately from LymesInTheCoconuts...

And Ms 22, you're getting even closer to the Y2K times 50 numbah...

TX Lyme Mom
Member # 3162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TX Lyme Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I checked the profile for the newest member from Kazakhstan who claims to be a journalist. Sounds legitimate to me. Some of those folks from beyond Western Europe have fantastic linguistic skills, believe it or not.

My husband is an academic in a scientific discipline that is very international and I've met lots of these highly educated foreigners from unfamiliar foreign places, so that's why I'm inclined to take them at face value -- at least until they prove otherwise.

Posts: 4563 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

crapola....some days i cant remember me let one some body else's...

I'm used to the old folks on here. they, at least, understand my sense of humour.....

these young'uns ain't no fun...

--------------------

me
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, watch it, randibear! I'm a spring chicken and loads of fun! [Wink]

--------------------
Just sharing my experiences, opinions, and what I've read and learned. Not medical advice.

Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

hey listen, you ain't fun till you put your bra on backwards and it fits better....

--------------------

me
Member # 45475

Bahahaha! [lol]

--------------------

steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just can't help myself! Maybe if you watch this short video you'll lean how to put a bra on.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/safiyanygaard/how-do-you-put-on-your-bra?utm_term=.bd4xm9al83#.irPVmwx3oG

Steve

[ 10-27-2016, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: steve1906 ]

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Should me be saying Brahahaha instead?!

And no, that's not me, that's for the other me -

Sure hope no one signs on as You, or we'll never hear the end of Me and You here...

me
Member # 45475

Nice moves, Robin123!!!! [Big Grin] love it.

--------------------

steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
INTERESTING, ALL THREE OF THE MEMBERS JOINED TODAY. LOOK AT THE NAMES...

NAME

PolinaBjkRZ - Thailand
PolinaXkfRZ - South Africa
PolinaOnmRZ - Albania

Steve

--------------------

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNT
Member # 42349

EXACTLY......

THEY'RE TROLLS, REAL HUMAN TROLLS.

steve1906
Member # 16206

Yes, I know they're trolls but how do we stop this from happening. I wonder if the web-master could write a code to stop this?

Steve

--------------------

TNT
Member # 42349

quote:
Originally posted by steve1906:
Yes, I know they're trolls but how do we stop this from happening. I wonder if the web-master could write a code to stop this?

Steve

No, I didn't doubt you knew, I was just so shocked by what you pointed out! There seems to be a concerted effort recently, and what I saw the other day was only confirmed by what you pointed out above!

Too bad there's not much we can do about it.

steve1906
Member # 16206

I know, no issues here TNT....Thanks

Steve

--------------------

randibear
Member # 11290

hmmm, gotta be a way..

I think I'm going to change my personal file jus in case.

--------------------

me
Member # 45475

There is definitely weird stuff going on. Be cautious.

167 guests today? Wow.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

The webmaster has been contacted.

Remember to use the "report a post" when you are concerned about something.

[Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

me
Member # 45475

quote:
Originally posted by steve1906:
INTERESTING, ALL THREE OF THE MEMBERS JOINED TODAY. LOOK AT THE NAMES...

NAME

PolinaBjkRZ - Thailand
PolinaXkfRZ - South Africa
PolinaOnmRZ - Albania

Steve

And now the latest today-- PolinaPvsRZ

I also got a weird PM.

--------------------

TNT
Member # 42349

quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
The webmaster has been contacted.

Remember to use the "report a post" when you are concerned about something.

[Smile]

Thanks for contacting the webmaster!

The problem with reporting their posts is that I have not seen them post yet. It makes it difficult to flag them.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I reported your post .. so that works. Just post about it and then report it if you have to.

"me"... do tell us about the PM

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

me
Member # 45475

Lymetoo, I reported the post and gave details about the PM.

Also of note: There will be someone who joins with three or so similar beginning screen names. Then, someone with a totally different screen name will join.

**It could be these different/more of what seem to be legitimate screen names are also imposters trying to throw us off with the inundation of multiple similar screen names.****

So for example, say we get 3 new members, all beginning with Olgazuh(whatever). Then we get a new member with a totally different name, like leothelymewarrior, we are less likely to think leothelymewarrior is the imposter when he or she really could be an imposter who is doing active posting.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I know Lou usually keeps tabs on these new posters. I used to report them to him and then he told me that he looks at them everyday.

Maybe something has changed. But yes, there are trolls who show up here ALL.THE.TIME. Be wary ALL.THE.TIME.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement