LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » So Who Signed Up For Obamacare? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: So Who Signed Up For Obamacare?
Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carmen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't sign up for Obamacare. I just figured I'd pay the fine of $100. I dont have several hundred dollars to spend on a health insurance that will not cover chronic lyme nor provide for me the treatments that I believe are in my best interest.

Since we live on 1500 a month perhaps I would be elibible for medicaid, dont know. But medicaid wont provide for me what I want or need either and I resent being forced into being a ward of the state.

If you did sign up whats it costing you and will your doctor accept it for your lyme treatment? and will the insurance pay for your lyme treatment?

Posts: 803 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband and son will have Obamacare effective 1/1. We were going to have to pay over $1000/mo in COBRA and now we will only pay $299 for insurance, not medicaid. That's a relief to our budget. I am grateful for whatever coverage it provides.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt anyone will get treatment for lyme on Obamacare. They don't get it now, so why would it change?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
I doubt anyone will get treatment for lyme on Obamacare. They don't get it now, so why would it change?

Yep I agree.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It totally failed me.I have Medicare so i have to pay 20 percent myself. That means on a $20,000 buck shoulder repair i would have to pay $4000.

WHO HAS $4000 bucks laying around????????

I allso have medicaid but it has a huge spend down each month. The base income for medicare in ohio is $595 a month make more than that and you have to pay medicaid what ever you get a month over that.

Obama care said that the state medicaid would be
%133 of poverty levil not half of poverty levil.

It is unless you have medicare,then YOU WERE LEFT OUT.make more in a month than $ 595 pay it to medicaid.

I am trying to get the medicaid spend down for people with Medicare raised to %133 of poverty levil.
MADDOG

Posts: 3996 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carmen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MADDOG,

am I understanding right with medicaid,,, if you make over $595 in income a month what ever is over that goes to medicaid? even if you have no medical bills?

How can people live?

as for the shoulder repair you might as well take a vaction to Costa Rica or Columbia and have it done. Get some ocean time in and still save money. Columbia is the least expensive. They have very good doctors there!

[ 12-28-2013, 01:01 AM: Message edited by: Carmen ]

Posts: 803 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthropologista
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anthropologista     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget about the tax credit when you buy insurance under Obamacare. If you have a low income, this credit can be substantial. The fine buys you nothing.

It's annoying to have to wait for a tax refund, but it means that Obamacare may not cost you as much as you think.

Many people do get at least some insurance coverage for Lyme treatment, and may get it more cheaply under Obamacare. I know many insurance companies deny coverage for Lyme. Those companies have blood on their hands. But it's a more complex picture than one of blanket denial.

Our insurance (Tufts POS) reimburses most of the tests & medications (oral, but still some expensive ones) that my husband's LLMD orders. And a proportion of the fee for an office visit.

Plus, people with Lyme can still get other illnesses and injuries--car accidents, falls, appendicitis, cancer. It's important to have coverage for those.

Americans die at younger ages than people in almost all other high-income countries. Infant mortality in the US is twice as high as in several European countries. That's partly because millions of people had no access to health insurance.

Posts: 431 | From New England | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthropologista
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anthropologista     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maddog--didn't see your post until I posted mine. Angry to read that you're in this position because Medicaid and Medicare haven't been properly reformed.
Posts: 431 | From New England | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
droid1226
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm self employed and will now have to go uninsured. My monthly premium went from 179.00 to 410.00 through UnitedHealthCare.

Absolutely crushing to me.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Maddog: you may be better off getting a Medicare Advantage plan. I have a PPO. My surgeries only required a copay. Usually in the $150 range for the facility and nothing for the Dr. Then apply for Special help for Rx's.

I have had Medicare for 4 yrs due to disability and am very happy. For the past couple of years, I have had Medicare Advantage only.

Carmen: that's not how Medicaid works.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

lax mom
Member # 38743

droid: is your only option United?

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

lax mom
Member # 38743

Anthropologista: I think the problem with Maddog's situation is a political situation specific to Ohio (states that turned down additional Medicaid funds for other reasons-obviously political). The losers are the Ohio residents.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I go on medicare in april when I turn 65 but im keeping my bc/bs low cost plan. We have tricare but I dont trust this administration not to cancel my insurance.

My husband never goes to a doctor so hes ok but I.go often and have had several surgeries.

I feel sorry for those people who got their plans cancelled. My docs are not taking new patients.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New Hampshire is like Ohio I guess it does not have Medicaidand I don't really understand this but a good friend does not make enough money to go on Obamacare she would be eligible for Medicaid but since New Hampshire doesn't have it she still has nothing

I've paid my dues teaching in a very difficult district. but it was worth it I guess even though the kids did me in at the end I do have very good insurance it didn't pay for IV but as long as I paid up front for most things I got almost all of it back 80 percent usually

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

quote:
Originally posted by lax mom:
Carmen: that's not how Medicaid works.

Just trying to make sense out of what maddog said. How does it work?
lax mom
Member # 38743

Carmen: Maddog is talking about a Medicaid "spenddown" where you take in all of your medical bills and apply after the fact, they look at your income and say you are responsible for x% and the state with pay x%.

The only situation where I know they would take all of your money except for a small bit is in the case of Medicaid and nursing homes.

Regular Medicaid pays the medical expenses and prescription costs. You just have to use the Drs who accept it.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anthropologista:

Many people do get at least some insurance coverage for Lyme treatment, and may get it more cheaply under Obamacare.

-
Proof of that?? How do you know they will pay for Lyme treatment? The IDSA is still in control.

[ 09-09-2015, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

Here's a calculator to help you figure out what your premiums might be if you enrolled.
It require no personal information.

http://kff.org/interactive/subsidy-calculator/

soccermama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soccermama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel very blessed. While my husband's company had to get rid of the cadillac plans due to Obamacare, they had already made all the changes by the time my husband was hired.

As a result, we are not seeing any changes or increases. As a matter of fact, they are contributing $100 more to our HSA this year.

Posts: 538 | From kentucky | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Carmin
No ,only if i need the Medicaid for that month
I cant make more than $595. I can spend that amount on medical stuf or just write them a check for the spendown.

They do not get that unless i need it.

Ohio did take the Obama care Medicaid .

Obama Care forgot the disabled and Retired,that make less than %133 of poverty levil.

MADDOG

Posts: 3996 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

MADDOG, Im so sorry, its terrible. I dont know how you manage.
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is from Maine.Gov

Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan
The Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan is a federal program to help individuals who have been uninsured for at least the past six months and who have been previously diagnosed with a serious medical condition enroll in the DirigoChoice Program.

As part of the Affordable Care Act, the Federal Government will pay for the claims of Individuals who meet these criteria if the claims exceed a certain amount. This allows DHA to cover more people.

The medical conditions that qualify enrollees for the Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan are:

ALS
Angina pectoris
Arthritis
Asthma/Chronic Lung Conditions
Cancer
Celiac Disease
Cerebral Palsy
Chronic Kidney Disease
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
Chronic Seizure Disorders
Cirrhosis of the Liver
Congestive Heart Failure
Coronary Artery Disease
Coronary Occlusion
Crohn's Disease
Cystic Fibrosis
Dementia and Alzheimer's Disease
Depression
Diabetes
Eating Disorders
Fibromyalgia
Friedreich's Ataxia
Hepatitis
HIV/AIDS
Heart Disease Requiring Open Heart Surgery
Hemophilia
Hodgkin's Disease
Huntington's Chorea
Hypertension
Juvenile Diabetes
Leukemia
Lupus
Lyme Disease
Meningitis/Encephalitis
Motor or Sensory Disorders
Multiple Sclerosis
Muscular Dystrophy
Myasthenia Gravis
Myotonia
Parkinson's Disease
Polycystic Kidney Disease
Psychotic Disorders
Quadriplegia/Paraplegia
Scleroderma
Stroke
Syringomyelia
Thrombosis
Wilson's Disease

http://www.dirigohealth.maine.gov/Pages/pre_exist.html

For more information about the Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan and the Affordable Care Act, please see HealthCare.gov

ALSO read this from Hearthcare.gov

https://www.healthcare.gov/what-if-i-have-a-pre-existing-health-condition/

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Steve.. that does NOT mean they will pay for Lyme TREATMENT.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo, I know,,,I just wanted to post whats out there...

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A doctor has to recognize you as having lyme and if your doctor is not accepted by ilads and cdc then dimes to donuts they wont accept a lyme diagnosis. Remember theres no lyme in texas!!!!

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Thanks, Steve. Just pointing that out. I don't want anyone to get false hope up.

You are also right, randi. (except it should say "if not accepted by the IDSA and CDC")

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Anthropologista
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35483

Tutu, my husband has used 3 LLMDs in 3 different states (one outside NE) and has got about 80% of his Lyme treatment for each one reimbursed by our insurance. Sometimes he has to appeal. But so far--touch wood--it's been granted on appeal.

When we made contact with these doctors, we asked about insurance reimbursement. They all said that it varied from plan to plan, but that most of their patients get at least some. I spoke to the office of another LL practitioner in a 4th state we didn't end up using. Was told the same thing.

Here's a quote from the website of another LLMD in the same part of the country. Same thing again:

"Most of our patients who have health insurance plans with out-of-network benefits and who have reached their deductible are partially reimbursed by their health plans."

But I'd guess from your and Randibear's responses that coverage varies a lot from state to state.

Anthropologista
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35483

Droid, is the $410 per month before or after the tax credit? My stepdaughter is paying $400 per month. But by doing that she gets a tax credit of over $2,000 for the year. That makes it somewhere in the low $200s per month.

I know that not everyone can afford to wait until tax time for the refund, though.

map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, people need money week to week to pay the bills. What are people suppose to do? Tell the electric company, as soon as I get my tax refund I will pay my bill?

Washington DC, our representatives, our lawmakers need to get real. Get real about real life for folks out in the field.

We're not allowed to make posts political on lymenet, but I'm worried for our fellow Americans.

I feel each and everyone of you who are in dire situations. I'm blessed with good insurance thru my husbands employer and Medicare as secondary.

I'm not using a LLMD these last several years. What I do have to do it pay out of pocket for the type care I need for my illness. I pay for my body work/physical therapy, aka body massage.

Nothing luxury about my therapy but in state of KY they don't pay for alternative type tx unless you have cancer. Cancer patients, thank goodness are being given body work, which makes a world of difference in their healing from toxic matter.

I spend out of pocket for supps, herbs, vit more per month than my Big Pharma drugs. Josh I wish I could can BP.

Many lyme ill patients due to money issues can't afford to buy those supps, herbs etc that can be so important to our lyme ill bodies.

Many can't afford out of pocket anything!!! For this it so saddens me.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It might help to see the post in Medical Section about "Codes".

Here is the link...

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/127375?

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

map: I agree wholeheartedly. My family is beyond broke for that very reason. Sucks but we only have one life and I'm not giving up without a fight.

[ 12-29-2013, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: lax mom ]

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

Anthropologista
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35483

I agree too Pam--absolutely no argument with anything you say. We're blessed with good insurance too. But earlier my husband, getting sicker and sicker, had to pay more and more for less coverage, until finally they dumped him. I'm sad and angry about everything you describe.

A tax credit is inadequate as a means of making insurance more accessible. But it does exist, it may make a difference, and I wanted to make sure that people know about it.

lax mom
Member # 38743

You can also get an advance premium tax credit much like the advance earned income tax credit. This will lower the premium amount each month immediately without waiting until the end of the year.

https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/premium-tax-credit/

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

Rob_h
Member # 38104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob_h     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just looked up the APTC, and it appears its offered at the time of the purchase of 2014 ins. via an Obamacare state or federal marketplace. So for instance for my daughter, she selected a $400 a month plan, per her income received paid to the ins company $200 of advanced tax credit, and makes $200 monthly prem. payments. I think its rare that many people will opt to pay the $400 and get a $2,000 tax refundable tax credit a year plus later.
Posts: 18 | From NH | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_h:
I think its rare that many people will opt to pay the $400 and get a $2,000 tax refundable tax credit a year plus later.

-
That's what the government was banking on.

I got a lot of my LLMD costs reimbursed many years ago. But that's because I have a good plan which covers out of network (to some extent) doctors.

I don't know what will happen when the ACA begins to affect my group plan. I think they get an extra year before they/we are affected.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

droid1226
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anthrop,

No, I've had over 90k in bills out of pocket. Only the initial few visits were reimbursed and then considered "unnecessary and convenient to my dr". So nothing has been covered after 30 days. I've also appealed every bill multiple times and prob spent months on the phone.

This is with a + IGM and IGM. So many people may get Lyme treatment covered but not me or anyone really I know with Lyme, with the exception of a few people I've seen on this board.

My income allows me 0.00 tax credit, but they've assured me it can't go above 6,350.00 annually, for a lesser plan than I had. Which is what I'm going to end up paying almost.

Now I can switch over to Kaiser, they will give me basically an emergency plan for around 180.00.

Since I've been sick, my only sanity is my business and trying to grow it. Im not going to do this, but it seems I could live a lot better by tossing in the towel, going on medicaid, welfare, and sign up for ACA.

I would actually do that(for survival purposes only) but that wouldn't allow me to treat myself for Lyme and cos.

I know ACA has done some good, just don't assume your situation is the way it is for everyone. It's not. It's not fair either, but neither is life so I'll shut up now.

--------------------

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

I'm so sorry droid. Even freaking Medicare pays for this crap (well, oral abx, labs and tests...I have no experience with IV abx) and your private insurance is putting you through hell. I am sorry.

[group hug]

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

Anthropologista
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35483

Droid--not what I assumed. I'm sorry it sounded like that. Your insurance experience is horrendous, and all too common.

You must be amazing. Growing a business when you have Lyme & co is herculean.

I hate health insurance companies. I hate that the ACA is a huge windfall for them. But some people will be helped from Obamacare + the tax credit. My concern is that they might think it's not even worth looking into.

People who are eligible for the Tax Credit can get it paid monthly. They can reduce their monthly insurance payments without having to wait a year (thanks for the info, Lax).

I don't know how many people get insurance coverage for Lyme & co. Far too few. All I know is that, if what the 5 LL practitioners said about their patients' insurance reimbursement is true, it could be worth exploring if you're in this part of the country.

map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All young healthy adults that ACA was banking on those signing up for this....are not doing it. I spoke with each of my nieces and nephews over the holidays. Esp those I know didn't have health insurance.

They can't afford another bill. Their roof, electric, car and car insurance(?)food, student loans, etc take up their whole income.

They consider health insurance a luxury. These are hard working young folks in 20-30 range.

Myself I lead 2 lyme ill patients to sign up pronto. One of them was the last day of so called sign up. Both are no doubt Medicaid illegible.

That was not the plan for ACA to be successful was for more ill folks than well folks. I'm so happy that those that had no insurance can at least have coverage now.

I'm hoping one of them is going to be able to find at least one LLMD within their driving distance that takes insurance. At least Igenex will take Medicare for blood testing, which is wonderful.

I will look at the tax credit monthly and read up on reducing insurance payments. Thanks for sharing that info.

But I realized having emailed with these 2 ladies that the message had NOT gotten through to all those that are in such need.

So we need to keep this thread going for those that can get info needed so they too can get ACA insurance. It might not cover "Lyme" doctors but it will help them with other doctors and rx to get them functioning. That's my prayer.

Tincup needs to post her codes thread post within this thread to give everyone a way to go around the "lyme" merry-go-round.

Whoops just went up and seen TC did post it in this thread. Thanks TC.

Pam

--------------------

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This has been a nightmare.

I was cancelled this year and my husband is cancelled next year.

We buy our insurance privately. I do not want to go without insurance.

My premium is going up (it was $432/mo), my deductible is going from $250 to $1500, and the amount that I will be left responsible for is also higher. My benefits now include things I should not need to pay for, such as pediatric dental and maternity....ugh. The other plans I had to choose from had deductibles up to $6500 and premiums as high as $650/mo for just me.

My husband currently has an affordable private plan. He is cancelled as of the end of 2014. As of now, when he signs up later in 2014, his rate will MORE THAN DOUBLE...and who knows how much rates might go up again before then.

I did not buy a plan through the govt site for several reasons: we do not qualify for any tax credits, the site was a horrible fiasco (I tried many times to use it), and I do not want the govt having any more info about me than they already do.

Even the govt's estimator site was a fiasco. It asked if I was under 50 or 50 and over, then it gave me a quote based on either a 27 year old (if the answer as "Under 50", or the premium for a 50 year old (if answer was "50 or over").

The difference between the estimated quote and the actual premium that would be charged if a policy was purchased, could differ by HUNDREDS of dollars.

I fear that the real blow of Obamacare will come in a year or so, after insurance companies adjust their rates based on their payouts.

If not enough healthy people sign up, it could send rates up way higher than they just went up.

It does not work to provide free care for millions of people...someone has to pay for it.

Any young, healthy people who could have bought a policy before Obamacare (when rates were cheaper)and chose not to buy, are likely not going to buy one now, when the rates are higher. This will significantly impact rates in a year or so.

Some of the new plans in my area are now excluding large portions of Doctors/hospitals nearby. This is not good.

I believe there will be many negative consequences of Obamacare in the future.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Is anyone happy with it? Am I the only one?

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

randibear
Member # 11290

My two nieces and nephews said no way.

--------------------

gmb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the pharmacy assistants taking my Rx refills the other day said she is not signing up and will pay the penalty rather than monthly premiums.

gmb

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

It seems like the only way we are ever gonna get Lyme covered by insurance cos and Social Security, etc is to have a Lyme lobby.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

randibear
Member # 11290

Or get enough politicians to get it....

--------------------

lax mom
Member # 38743

quote:
Originally posted by randibear:
Or get enough politicians to get it....

Yep.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

sickofthepain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39579

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickofthepain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ironically this afternoon I got a letter from my llmd and said he will no longer be participating in any insurance. I pay cash anyway when I go, if

I have it and then go so that doesn't affect me but I fear he will be taking retirement soon because of this. I will be *)^&*%&^%^%8 when I

get more money to go back to the dr because there is no one around here. He will be an opt out physician because of medicare's legal term.No

longer taking blue cross/blue shield because of how intrusive it is becoming.I don't blame him but I just hope that he rides out the storm. What a mess.

Posts: 294 | From southwest mi | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Mine doesnt take any insurance either and its 150 per office visit every month or so. Sometimes ive cancelled when I didnt have it.

And several times bc/bs questioned the scripts.

--------------------

droid1226
Member # 34930

Anthro. Definitely not Herculean but thank u, it sounds good. I work in web development and just had to go off on my own when I couldn't physically make it to work. Now the only difference is I lay there sick and work, haha.

I get there's good intentions but it's nudging more and more healthy people to choose not to work.

--------------------

sickofthepain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39579

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickofthepain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Might be in the market for looking for another country to move to. Any suggestions?
Posts: 294 | From southwest mi | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthropologista
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35483

Anywhere with a single payer health system.
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried to scan through this post to see woh actually did sign up adn the results.

I know our health care system is broke. I did not realize this until I came down sick myself in 2001.

I also know getting an insurance plan will not help wtih lyme and company.

But, our health care system still needs a lot of work.

I, too, considered moving to antoehr country at one time to get the help I needed. But, then I learned that those in other coutnries are also not getting the help they need with lyme disease.

I was disappointed in the review on the news for 2013 and the subject lines.

re: health care....all that was talked about was the snafu of the programing for the computer site.

No reports on how or what the US is doing to improve our health care system.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

Kam, in my opinion they will do little overall to improve healthcare until they fully integrate alternative medicine and the alternative paradigm of disease.

I am outraged that they want to force me to pay for a medical paradigm that I believe causes mayhem and death, and will not pay for what I believe heals. They are attempting to strip away my constitutional rights to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness by stealing what little money I have and economically disenfranchising me from medicine that works and heals and cures.

Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

Sickofthepain, if I were seeking another country and I had money I'd go to Germany. If I had little money I'd go to India. Both have excellent health care available.

Germany does integrate alternative and conventional medicine. I've read the lyme protocol for Germany. They have a solid game plan if you want to use drugs.. if you dont want to use drugs they are also masters at oxidative therapies and herbals.

In India there are master Homeopaths as well as conventional doctors who are very smart. Acutally some of the most brilliant doctors I have worked with were from India in the conventional realm. Medicine and medical care there is very inexpensive.

jkmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have UHC and my plan does pay for Lyme. I do have to pay out of pocket but then I get reimbursed at the out of network rate (70%). All of my abx have been covered just like other meds. I have not tried IV so it is possible that is where there would be a problem.

I don't see why it would be impossible to get similar coverage on the exchange.

My LLMD puts the code for Lyme, babesia, and bartonella on the insurance form. I have been treating for 6 years, one way or another, all covered, subject to the copay.

[ 01-01-2014, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: jkmom ]

Posts: 984 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickofthepain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39579

[Smile]
BuffyFan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BuffyFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quick question, are tax credits the same as subsidies?
Posts: 287 | From somewhere | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SouthPaw
Member # 35229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SouthPaw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lpkayak - NH does have Medicaid, they just chose not to participate in Medicaid "expansion" necessary for a state exchange. I had to put my kids on Medicaid last year, I lost my job shortly after I got my PICC and couldn't afford to put my kids on COBRA.

Medicaid "expansion" was rejected by 34 states because the fed gov will only fund that expansion for a certain number of years (I think three?) then dumps all the costs on the individual states, creating a huge financial burden (and god knows there's enough of that going around).

Not saying it's right or wrong, just clarifying NH's Medicaid situation.

Hope you're feeling better, you had some rough times last year.

Posts: 99 | From Cali | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SouthPaw
Member # 35229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SouthPaw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly there's just no way I could afford insurance under ACA.

For a family of four the cheapest Bronze plan offered in NH costs $760/month in premiums with $11,500 deductible, copays, 20% coinsurance, and $250/$500 fees for ER visits/hospital admission. That's roughly $22,000/year and I don't qualify for subsidies. The "no more than 9.5% of income" rule is a lie.

Fortunately I was rehired when my PICC came out. The sum total of my premiums and employer contribution (we each pay 50% of premium), and deductible ($3,000) is still cheaper than that Bronze plan (approx $15,000 total).

Even the rates I was given for full coverage of my family under COBRA were cheaper, approx the same $15,000 listed above.

To make matters worse:
1) There is only one exchange provider in NH - Anthem BC/BS

2) Anthem announced it is dropping 10 of NH's 23 hospitals from coverage for exchange customers. One of our counties won't have any available hospitals at all.

3) No out of state specialty hospitals will be allowed for exchange patients. This is important because NH hospitals rely heavily on Boston's specialty hospitals......so ACA patients won't be going to Children's Hospital, Dana Farber, Shriners, etc....

4) Another aspect of ACA that went into effect two years ago was a limitation on the amount of pre-tax $$ that could be contributed to an FSA (down to $2,500), and elimination of the ability to use FSA for OTC meds.

This bill was written with good intentions but was poorly designed and implemented.

I hope some folks can benefit from it, I just haven't met anybody yet who has.

Posts: 99 | From Cali | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SouthPaw
Member # 35229

Jkmom - I'm on UHC as well.

My LLMD doesn't take insurance so her visits are paid in cash, but UHC has never balked at paying for any of my meds or blood tests (get blood drawn every 6 weeks for the last two years). You might hit a snag if you need IV meds (i.e. PICC line), they'll most likely only pay for 28 days which is typical for insurance companies and IV meds for Lyme.

I think Lyme patients might run into trouble on the exchange for two reasons:
1) Payments to physicians will be much lower (similar to Medicaid/Medicare payments). The pool of physicians willing to take on these patients, who are willing to take insurance for Lyme, will be smaller, which will just add to the difficulty of finding a qualified LLMD who actually takes insurance.

2) Rx coverage isn't necessarily the same. Many of the exchange plans have restrictions on "authorized" meds, meaning if they determine a cheaper abx will do the job that's all they'll pay for. This is dangerous for us because LLMDs often need to try different combos of meds to find out what works best for each Lyme patient.

lax mom
Member # 38743

Well my husband's first experience yesterday with insurance coverage from the exchange was a good one.

Copay for the same Dr he always had=$15.

Prescriptions for allergies, high blood pressure, Nystatin, and others covered with $100 deductible and reasonable copay.

I'm very happy with it. Plus we aren't paying $1040 Cobra. Before they raised it the cost was $740. That's devastating for middle class paycheck to paycheck folks which Obamacare clearly helps.

I see nothing but good in that.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

lax mom
Member # 38743

PS I truly dislike this thread. Just my 2¢

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

randibear
Member # 11290

Hey at least its civil andpeople are not calling each other names.

Besides its good for us to know how it works.

--------------------

lax mom
Member # 38743

Yeah randibear you're right. I got the last Aca thread closed down. I don't wantthat to happen. I just needed to express my dislike of the topic.

I like all of you I just don't want you all to start hating me because I am on the other side of the fence with my family's experience on this topic.

I know there are people who truly hate the ACA to the core, but it has been a blessing to my family.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

droid1226
Member # 34930

One thing is obvious, people hate it or love it depending on whether it helped them or not.

I really don't like it naturally cause it's costing me more money. But I'm sure it has helped a lot of people.

I think we let it all play out til the end of 2014 and make a better decision then.

As much as I dislike it, I played with the site and it's not nearly as bad as I've heard.

--------------------

SouthPaw
Member # 35229

lax mom - I hope you don't think I was bashing ACA. I was In dire straights for health insurance last year so researched all my options. The numbers I gave for NH were actual quotes from healthcare.gov using my login.

I'm happy you were able to benefit from ACA. My intention wasn't to make any type of political or partisan statement, I was just sharing information.

lax mom
Member # 38743

No Southpaw, I don't think any one is bashing. I just wish the feelings were less love it or hate it like droid said and more middle of the road... but that's the nature of political policy.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

map1131
Member # 2022

Lax, please don't take offense to the thread. As you can see it has been a blessing for many and a curse for many.

As long as we all treat each other with respect and just tell our story about what is known there is no reason to close it down.

The truth is the truth is the truth. I'm so glad for you and your family and you know that. I also feel for those that had their insurance canceled.

I see the writing on the wall. The company my husband works for is union. Indy union contract last year was changed and the company/union only pay for the employee only. Right now Humana is my primary and Medicare is secondary.

So when this happens in KY, which it will. I will be Medicare Primary and of course will need to have a supplemental policy with it.

Or however these new plans work. My mother has tried to explain to me how her and dad's BCBS policy works with Medicare. I just don't understand what she is trying to explain it to me.

But I better get an understanding of it all before the next union contract which is early 2015.

So please don't take down a very informative thread for all of us that are in different situations.

Pam

--------------------

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you guys understand New Hampshire doesn't have Medicaid and that makes a big difference right I don't understand it but I know makes a big difference and its a real problem here at least a problem for people I know that I thought it would help it didn't occur to me someone could not make enough money to get on but im very lucky to have good insurance

There must be other states like nh-i wonder what kind of problems they are having

I do know people who can't afford good cars and now I have to go over an hour to a doctor for a hospital that's really hard here with the long winters

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

If my insurance co told me I had to find another PCP.....I would absolutely fall apart at the seams.

My PCP has been with me and my nightmare since day 10. I can't even fantom looking for another.

lp, here comes the big winter monster. Our system starts tomorrow. Oh my, all weather systems come thru my body.

I better start praying now. Spend the day in a detox bath all day.

Pam

--------------------

Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randibear said.. "Hey at least its civil and people are not calling each other names."

[lol]

Had to laugh out loud at that comment! HA! Thanks for the laugh!

If it helps, I was able to help 3 people get coverage that had none and they are very happy. Cost them so very little too. And it was done in the early days when supposedly the site wasn't working!

I put in my own info more recently just to see the costs, and I'd pay about $20.00- $30.00 a month for the second best plan in their program. (Can't now remember the exact amount.) Plus I'd get meds and little co-pay for them. Low deductible too.

For the direst in straights, many with long term chronic illness who had no help at all, I am so far pleased with what I've seen and experienced.

For those having troubles, please do see the codes I've listed. If they want it called ABL (Anything But Lyme) we can certainly cooperate with their way of doing it to get treatment.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

I too lead 2 lyme woman to kynet.gov, which our state was one of a dozen or more that took it on at the state level. On the last week(?), supposed week of signing up.

Both were lower income and will qualify with Medicaid or very low cost Medicare/insurance company coverage.

I was totally shocked when one asked me about pre-existing condition and not being qualified? I explained hey this is a huge part of ACA, pre-existing is no longer a reason for insurance company to use.

Explained that now you will be able to get care you need. Not that a LLMD is going to be covered, because I'm not sure of which LLMD is still taking Medicare/Medicaid?

Gave her all the doctors in surrounding states not to far away. But for those that are ill, getting a PCP is the first step if they don't have one today.

Immediate care and emergency rooms should become for the ones that have an ear ache=immediate care.
For someone that just broke their leg on Saturday morning, you might need an emergency room.

A primary care doctor will become familiar with you. You can build trust and relationship, if you are lucky to find doc that you like and seems to be willing to help with your symptoms.

No, the odds of finding a PCP that is lyme literate isn't great, but you never know. You might get real lucky.

If you are having a symptom that is preventing your from functioning like some minor feelings of depression, they can take history and they very well could prescribe for you some mind anti-depressant that will make your world not so bad.

They can do thyroid tests. Remember lyme does attack many thyroids. So if your test results show low thyroid or even hyperthyroid they can do medication.

In the ideal world with this illness...you have a LLMD that you see every 3-4 mths accordingly and you have a PCP that sees you for any tests, blood work not related to lyme & co(unless they are lyme aware).

Your general healthcare needs with PCP and sometimes they even agree to do some tests that your LLMD says you need to have done. Ideally? That's the good combo. Which does happen.

Especially when you make history with one doc and not jumping all over here and there.

Like Tincup said, that list of codes is great. If your primary wants to dx you with fatigue and call it chronic fatigue. So be it. Don't fight their system, just use them to help you with non-specific lyme & company issues.

Some healthcare is better than no healthcare anyday. Some of our healthcare like supplements, vitamins, herbs, etc aren't covered by insurance. but some patients have severe Vit B12 defeicient and need high dosages of this, a doc can write you a script.

EX: Maybe get it filled at the pharmacy. If not that then use the cost of B12 as a tax deduction/write off. Doc rxed, so it's a tax deduction.

Pam

--------------------

lax mom
Member # 38743

quote:
Originally posted by map1131:
I'm so glad for you and your family and you know that. Pam

I know that Pam [Smile] Thank you. That's why you founded a support group...because you're so...well...supportive and caring [group hug]

Anyway, to reiterate, I never wanted this thread closed...I just wanted to express my dislike of the topic, that's all [Wink]

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

randibear
Member # 11290

Hey I got an idea....lol...

Lets call each other names....its more fun....

I'm hardheaded, stubborn, opinionated, and of course, modest..

--------------------

lax mom
Member # 38743

Hey randibear! I'M stubborn!

Why don't you go lie on a beach like a clam in the polluted ocean after an oil spill who had a lobster bite its shell and got an infection and needed healthcare but didn't have it cause they forgot to sign up for Obamacare...

...or something like that...oh forget it...I'm not good at those one liners like you!!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement