LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Short Term Disability

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Short Term Disability
beatlymedisease
Member # 42829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beatlymedisease     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor is encouraging me to take short-term disability and I work in New York State. I was told that if I take short-term disability before working at my job for 1 year, they have the right to terminate me. Does anyone know if this is true????
Posts: 37 | From NJ | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thewino
Member # 39086

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thewino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beatly,

I do not know the answer to your question.

A great resource for you would be your company's Employee Relation's Department.

Good Luck,
TheWino

--------------------
Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been --J. Buffett

All of my replies should not be taken as medical advice as they are my opinions only and I am not a physician.

Posts: 55 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You might look at your company's policies privately. Read your contract, etc.

BEFORE taking to ANYONE at your company's HR dept., I would call an attorney who specialized in ADA (Americans with Disabilities Law).

You need to know the law, then your company policies, then start a conversation but be sure you are as legally protected as possible before full disclosure is made.

And, you may need to first "formally" file as a person with a disability in order to be covered under the ADA.

If you can't afford legal counsel, start with a clinic at a law school in your area . . . or call your state BAR ASSOCIATION for for guidance as to how to find the answers, specific websites, etc.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New York is an "at will" state. That means they can fire you at will. Usually employers don't like to fire people on leave unless they have to fill the position to keep the workplace going.

If you are a good employee they usually will try to work with you when you return. Have other people taken leaves and returned who were not protected by FMLA? (see below). It also depends on how many people are employed with your employer.

Your employee manual should state policies, sick leaves, disability, etc.

The FMLA law is the federal law that protects persons on a medical leave after they have been employed with the current employer for one year.

SO many things to consider - sorry if I overloaded you. If you have an employee relations person, that would be a good start
(after you read your employee manual !!)

Take care -

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatlymedisease
Member # 42829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beatlymedisease     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks dogsandcats. I read my emoter policy. It says that I'm entitled to short term disability but does not state anything about possible termination. I'm hesitant to talk with HR about this right now...they already don't understand chronic lyme or why I'm so sick!
Posts: 37 | From NJ | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back in my day our policy stated your were allowed to take the leave, but the job was not guaranteed. Again meaning, if we needed the staffing.

There is no reason to discuss your particular illness with HR, but I understand your hesitancy. I worked for a business that had a family atmosphere and the employees were treated as such.

You will know when the time comes and if you need to take a leave.

I worked way too long - for my own reasons - and it did slow down my progress. Just a thought to add to your already difficult decision. LOL

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I read my emoter policy. It says that I'm entitled to short term disability but does not state anything about possible termination.
Your manual doesn't say how long you have to be employed before you are eligible for STD?
Posts: 832 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatlymedisease
Member # 42829

I'm sorry...typo. Not emoter. Meant employee!
I'm eligible for STD now but not covered under FMLA until 1 year of employment (family medical leave act) so it's confusing. I'm not sure if I can get STD if they terminate me (because I don't have job security under FMLA). I hope I'm making sense!

SouthPaw
Member # 35229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SouthPaw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's true. You don't have legal protection until you qualify for FMLA.

Your relationship with your employer plays a big role in this.

In 2006 I had to go on STD (epilepsy, had seizures at work) but didn't yet qualify for FMLA. My employer made it clear my job was safe and accommodated my driving restrictions when I returned. They were under no obligation to do so.

But.....in 2012, after fighting Lyme for 2 years I crashed hard and had to get a PICC and go on FMLA. They terminated me while on FMLA. I had to get a lawyer, it got ugly, but I got my job back.

The good news is that once you're on STD/LTD they can't cancel it if they terminate you. You're on it until a doctor clears you to return to work. Not the ideal situation, I know, but amounts to a certain level of protection anyway.

That was my experience though, I'm no lawyer. Research all your options so you know where you stand.

I wish you the best of luck. You're not alone. Many of us are in the same boat.

Posts: 99 | From Cali | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatlymedisease
Member # 42829

Thank you Southpaw. Sorry you had to go through a legal battle. So are you saying that if my job allows me to go on STD, BEFORE I'm eligible for FMLA, that they cannot terminate my STD coverage?
SouthPaw
Member # 35229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SouthPaw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was how it worked for me.

I was on STD, then LTD, for a total of nine months despite being terminated after 90 days.

My STD claim was discontinued at 90 days when I was cleared to return to work. The insurance company agreed to reopen the claim after I was terminated, based on my "former" employers refusal to accommodate a temporary restriction because of my PICC. (Under FMLA they were required to accommodate that restriction).

It was a long drawn out fight. HR couldn't keep track of their own lies and it backfired on them. The only reason I wanted to go back at that point was to close the nine month gap I'd have in my resume. They were required to bridge all my lost time.

Posts: 99 | From Cali | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement