LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » NEED HELP with ICE STORM

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NEED HELP with ICE STORM
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are about to be hit with a possibly huge ice storm. They, at this point, are predicting 1-6 inches of ICE on Sunday.

One quarter of an inch can down power lines.

We are in a place where we cannot get out if the ice/snow/sleet is bad. No way.

We have NO alternative heat. Sometimes in our area people will go to a motel if the power goes out. Well... every motel may be without power, so I see no point going ahead of time.

We would be worse off there than here.

Give me tips on how to survive this!! I have RAYNAUD's and this is one of my biggest fears.

Predicted low on Sunday night is 6 degrees and Monday night is 6 degrees. It will begin to thaw out by WEDNESDAY.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son, dil and grandchildren went to a hotel in R.I. when they lost power during a big snowstorm.

Maybe consider a hotel rather than a smaller motel. The larger bldgs. (hotels) may be more prepared with backup generators. About your RAYNAUDS. I would start layering my clothing from head to toe including your head to keep in heat.

Also in regards to a hotel, call them to see if they have backup measures for emergencys. A few suggestions for now. Sorry you have to deal with this. I think we are going to get some of this as well.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... I had forgotten about generators at hotels. Still not convinced that I want to do that.

Then there's the money issue. We live in a tourist area and most motels here will give big discounts to locals...but ...

Thanks.

Any other ideas?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Stupid question.. If we lose power, will we lose water?

I guess what I'm really asking for is tips to prepare.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

GretaM
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Layer clothes.

Wool or fleece next to skin. No cotton.

Keep layering up. All layers shoulld be breathable exceept top layer which should be windproof.

Make sure have hat scarf.

Do you have sleeping bags?

Can you prefill some thermoses with boiling water?

A smaller space will be easier to heat with body heat and hot air will rise. So the higher you are up in the space the warmer you will be.

Never use a flame or a propane stove/bbq propane lantern indoors. Carbon monoxide hazard.

Ensure you do not sit or stand on the ground. Sit or stand on insulated layers.

Mattresses. Cardboard on cardboard. Sofas etc.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, What I do is project the circumstance as if it's already here, that the storm has hit, we lost power, I am freezing cold and I need medical care and no one can get in and I can't get out. Would I rather be in a big hotel with lots of people around, not isolated, and still have power?

Have better access to food and medical care? Sorry for sounding so dramatic, but I am of the mindset of better safe than sorry and spending a few extra bucks even if I can't afford it.

What price peace of mind? Why don't you call a few of the hotels to see how prepared they are etc? Just taking that action could help you feel more empowered.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure how you get your water.

The city water will have backup power generation for 24 hours for treatment. After that will likely be boil water advisory.

If you get your water from a well, your pump won't pump. Fill some plastic or metal vessels now. They will probably freeze or get close to freezing.

Also get some canned protein and a can opener handy near where you will shelter.

Flashlights, TP, spare batteries, a radio etc.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I guess I need to buy larger containers for water or buy gallon jugs. I have a water filter that does not require power, but I wasn't sure if our tap water would go out.

We've never lost power here more than an hour or two.

As for the motel, we'd have to use our debit card and then have not have enough money for the rest of the month. ... erg

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ive lived up north all my life and never heard of 6 inches of ice...that sounds crazy

Is it possible to just drive south before the storm? I assume south would be warmer

What emerg plans does town have? If that happens i think it will be a long term disaster...we had 2 inches once and roads werent passable for 10 days-but we were out aways and had a lot of trees

What about church friends tutu...or the college

Because you cant get out of your house i would think you should leave before storm

Where ever you go you will be uncomfortable but it sounds like survival

When was the last time it got tht cold...do you know how to turn off water if pipes burst-ask landlord if you dont

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If i was in that situation i think i would carefully pack a bag with meds,healthy portable food and hang out in a hospital waiting room or hotel lobby orcollege union or something

I am so sorry-i really wish you could get out of therr

You have some time...is se kansas getting hit too?

I guess pray and listen for the answer

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Automobile: fill gas tanks before storm, as gas pumps would not work without electricity.

If you have city water and sewer, the water will still come out of the faucet.
Gas stoves will still work.

If we think there might be a problem, we fill containers with water.
I've saved a number of one gallon bleach bottles, very sturdy, just rinse well first.

Some people in hurricane country fill the bathtub with water, so they can pour a bucket of water down the toilet to force a flush.

Have canned goods that you can make a meal with.
If you can boil water on a gas grill, then you can make drip or instant coffee, cocoa, instant oatmeal or instant cream of wheat, instant cup of soup or ramen noodles.

Flashlights and lanterns, and extra batteries.
Since you have some warning, you can get the laundry done beforehand.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there <<<<< Lymetoo >>>>>,

We had two serious blizzard/ice storm conditions while living in various area of Idaho.

Our gas furnace and gas stove did not work because they had electric start up, and the power went out.

In a different incident,elsewhere, during a power outage we were able to get our Gas kitchen stove pilot light,to light safely, with matches and stayed in the kitchen area [it was electric start, so it depends on the stove].

We've learned, even here in the desert, w/ storm warnings. Get extra water safe receptacles. And we fill up the bathtub, at the first sign any problems might be on the way,for flushing toilets.

There is a homemade 'convection oven' idea using 4 tea-light candles at a time, a bread loaf pan, a small terracotta flower pot,

just big enough to fit over the pan edges, with the hole blocked [ they used metal from a tea-light container to block it], and a second larger terracotta pot over that, leaving it's drain hole open for heat to escape.

Supposedly the tea lights lasted four hours, a fella uses this in small rooms,and on his boat. When they burn down, he lets things cool enough he can remove the pots,and change candles.

It is said he was starting the candles in the mornings,and changing it out in afternoon, he cold get about eight hours of heat that way.

There is probably net info' on how to do this, w/ proper safety precautions of course. Wish i was more tech literate.

Seeing good info' here in the other replies, especially layering of clothes, and water information.

Prayers going up for your safety,and all those in the path of the storms. Our storm here will be rain and most likely high winds.

Please check in when you are able...

Jus' Silverwolfi here

--------------------
2006,May-August2006 Dx w/ Lyme/Bartonella/White Matter Lesion Disease on Brain.
[ Clinical Dx w/ two positives and several IND's on the tests from Igenex ], Prior Dx of CFIDS/CEBV 1992, and FMS '93-'94
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Posts: 3581 | From SE Idaho | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go get some footwarmers(full foot) or toewarmers (from ball of foot to toes)and handwarmers.

I cannot live without them.

They are the kind that are activated when the package is opened and the air hits them.

The footwarmers/toewarmers stick to the bottom of your socks. You can put handwarmers anywhere, even inside your clothing.

Depending on the brand, they usually stay hot/warm for about 6-9 hours.

I prefer the HotHands brand that I buy at Walmart.

You could call there to see if they have these.

Other stores carry them also such as Kmart, and sporting goods stores. (sometimes different brands and sometimes a little more expensive)

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All good suggestions.

I would be wondering about pipes freezing and breaking. Didn't you say you live in an apartment? Wondering what the management has done to prevent this.

Out of curiosity, I googled tea light heater and found several different ways to do this. Make sure you don't touch the clay pot after it gets started, too hot.

I just went thru 7 weeks of inadequate heat, due to gas furnace problem. Also two nights of very cold weather when pipes were a concern. Having water to drink and flush toilet is a good idea. In addition to layers and sleeping warm enough at night, I found wearing my Ugg boots (copy, not the real thing) all day kept feet toasty. Cut off an old pair of fleece gloves, just the end of the fingers, about the last inch, keeps hands warm but allows better touch. I do that even when I have heat in winter, because hands and feet generally cold.

[ 02-28-2014, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: poppy ]

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Thanks for the reminder about the hand warmers. I keep several of those when they threaten an ice storm. I need to get more.

Maybe I need to call the landlord about the pipes. Thankfully the water is shut off upstairs because there are no tenants there. Yes, I live in a 4-plex.

Going south will not help. It will be worse there. Now they are saying that north of us will be mostly sleet. I'm not excited about driving to that city because the motels would be more expensive and we'd be too far from home.

thanks for all the tips

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bummer about the ice.

Still I would be prepared. I always have aspirin on hand as it dilates the blood vessels a bit for better blood flow with your condition.

Praying for you. We are getting 6-8 inches of snow and I think it will be all snow, but were are on the dividing line between ice and snow.

Hiker53

[ 02-28-2014, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: hiker53 ]

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8880 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate ice. It causes so much damage. The foot warmers sound like a great idea. Can you use a portable generator where you live?

If you can, you can plug some things into it like a small heater, coffee pot, radio, etc.

We always have emergency food and first aid at home. Living rural, out in the middle of no where, we just started to stockpile things.

Keep warm TuTu!!

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pocono Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snuggling is good. [Big Grin]

That's in addition to all of the other good ideas.

Niacin works for my husband's Raynaud's.
Good luck LT. Will be praying for you.

--------------------
2 Corinthians 12:9-11

9 But he said to me, �My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.� Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ�s power may rest on me.

Posts: 1445 | From Poconos, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Maybe I'll go buy some niacin. I can't take aspirin. I do have Verapamil for that and my heart.

Hand warmers. Check.
batteries. check.
more flashlights. check.
toilet paper. check.
water. check.
water pitchers.check.
$3 pair of fleece pants. check.(on sale! [Big Grin] )
candles. check.
canned beans. check.
tuna fish. check.
gas tank full. check.
trail mix. check. (for hubby)

They are out of ice melt until next winter!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You sound like everything is under control. LOL on the ice melt.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

The line between sleet and ice is coming farther south. So that is good. Only 20 miles north of us is sleet. Ice is south of that. We may get lucky.

Please pray for all in the path of this storm. There could be millions without power next week.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there are small gasoline or kerosene heaters you can buy.

plenty of bottled water, blankets, and dont forget pets.

we've even bought mre's and camper food.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saying prayers for all who will be affected.

So far it looks like we are supposed to get about 12 inches of snow in my part of PA.

--------------------

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Maybe we should have bought a heater.

No pets to worry about.

I'm in pain from shopping and now I need to make up some food for me so I have things to eat. May be able to do that tomorrow.

I hope this thread helps others in the path of the storm. Many will be affected and we/they need your prayers!

12 inches is too much, Dekrator! bleah!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

momindeep
Member # 7618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momindeep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Big Buddy and Little Buddy heaters run on propane...either tanks or the small green cylinder disposables...and can be used indoors...hardware and sporting good stores carry them...there are other kinds too.
Posts: 1512 | From Glenwood City WI | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jjourneys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jjourneys   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember - fill those containers and bathtub, at least the night before the expected storm. We have ice storms and hurricanes here, one time we were going to fill the tub in the morning - too late, the power went out before we got up.

If you have 2 bathrooms, use one for urinating only, that way you won't have to flush it every time it's used. We only flush when a #2 is taken.

My truck actually has a power outlet in it, so we can use that as needed for making coffee, charging phones, etc.

Have everything where you know it is and handy before the storm hits, you don't want to be looking for supplies in the dark. I always have candles laying on the dining room table ready for use, flashlights on the night stands, etc.

Have all your blankets and towels placed handy, pile them on you when needed to stay warm.

If you have canned foods, make sure you have a manual can opener to open them if needed.

Live in one room of the house during the power outage. Bodies in one room will heat it up a bit. Plus all your candles won't have to be burned while people are in different rooms.

Hang in there, enjoy the peace and quiet - relax as best as you can.

Posts: 250 | From East Coast | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

I have the little buddy and havenot needed to use it yet but it looks easy
I was glad when mom told me she used one
Easier and safer than kero

Id still seeabout going to a morr accesible place-i spent a storm in the student union once with my 3 yo cuz roads were closed

Be safe

--------------------

Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are having heavy rains, two windows leaking......

We should probably make sure we have some candles ready.

People in California take "weather"very seriously. Rain storms make everyone drive worse and panic more.

Hopefully it will calm down before the storm gets your way, if it is the same storm.

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Yes, it's the same storm. It all depends upon the amount of freezing rain.

kayak.. We'll stay. I can't imagine having to pack up and go somewhere. We may get lucky.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lpkayak
Member # 5230

I have the little buddy and havenot needed to use it yet but it looks easy
I was glad when mom told me she used one
Easier and safer than kero

Id still seeabout going to a morr accesible place-i spent a storm in the student union once with my 3 yo cuz roads were closed

Be safe

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

BTW... thanks to journeys.. good tips!

I'll check on the Little Buddy... thanks!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

payne
Member # 26248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for payne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW,
i thought just a bible would do it..

maybe a candle to read with and heat.

God Bless (:

--------------------
TULAREMIA/rabbit fever ?

Posts: 1931 | From mid-michigan | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

This is the winter that just doesn't stop giving. We're getting hit here also.

Good luck Toots and keep us posted.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Prayers work! That line seems to be moving south! The line of rain/ice is moving south.

Praying!

When will it get to you, Gael?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

glm1111
Member # 16556

Monday...supposed to get maybe 6-12". The good news is I am 4 blocks away from Whole Foods and Super Fresh and they are always open even in bad weather.

Makes me wonder if they have sleeping quarters in the store so that they can staff the store even when driving is bad.

This is why I love living in the city because everything is within walking distance. If you want to take a plane ride to Philly, you and hubby can stay with me. [Big Grin]

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

Lymetoo
Member # 743

[Big Grin] .. Thanks... we have stores that will be open too... but I won't be able to get there!! [Big Grin]

The good news is that we will be above freezing by Tuesday so even if we lose power, we can get out by Tuesday .. or Wed at the latest.

I'm just trying to stay calm.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

glm1111
Member # 16556

Sounds like you will be fine! Summer will be here soon. [Cool] [Smile] Visualize it to stay calm.

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Thanks! [Smile]

I just lost my calm. We are getting new neighbors upstairs. We can hear every single footstep. Just can't wait for more joys.

Right now I'm thankful that their heat will be on and it will help keep our apartment better insulated! [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tutu. I would get of dodge! Drive to a nice hotel and treat yourself and wait out the storm. To protect your house... turn your heat up high to keep your pipes from freezing if you do lose power. and cover your outdoor spigots.

They have always advised us to fill up gallons of water. I am not sure why though.

Good luck.

And power up your phone, iPad etc. to let us know how you are.

Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

The latest....

This is actually good news...

The forecast: "Good Afternoon! Well the good news is the latest models are pushing the colder air further south tonight and into Sunday (which may not SEEM like good news, but it is). More colder air aloft means a greater chance of sleet rather than freezing rain.

Still not the best news because sleet is still no fun BUT it’s much better than freezing rain. We’re still expecting the highest ice accumulation from freezing rain to be in south central Missouri and northern Arkansas with up to .4”. The heavier ice accumulation will be further south and east."

-

I have tons of water ready.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Who else is in the path of the ice storm??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No ice here But got 5 to 6 inches of snow today,,,,just kept on coming

KEEP your doors SHUT if you lose power. keep frige and freezer door shut.

Been there done that many times. Your house wont get colder than about 40 degrees and may stay much higher.

Did I say keep the doors shut? NO in and outs. find a cardboard box or three at a local store than sells big stuff.

you cant believe how warm a cardboard box stays with just body heat. SOUNDS terrible but it really works

Can even lounge in a chair, put cardboard or news papers over you and then all the blankets you can find. We have like 30 quilts or more in the house

Did not see a deck of playing cards on check sheet. Have to humor self somehow,,,or play rummy with hubby

Kero lamps beat flashlights hands down(maybe for next time)

Generators have habit of not starting when needed most

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Thanks, don. Those are good ideas. I'm not so confident that it will stay above 40 in here. But I sure hope so!

This place is not brick.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're supposed to have freezing sleet starting tonight and tomorrow.

Another tip...put rugs across the bottom of the doors. Keeps drafts out. Flannel sheets work on beds. Use sleeping bags if you hqve them.

Jus crazy ole me....sigh.....

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I'm praying the worst is over as far as losing power. We are still supposed to get freezing rain today. Did not get very much last night. (whew!)

It is sleeting right now. Will continue with freezing rain, sleet and snow through Monday morning. So far so good!

Hope everyone else is OK .. get ready if you are in the path of it!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

randibear
Member # 11290

its 21 with freezing sleet. ugh

--------------------

grandmother
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for grandmother     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps ALL of us should look into what we need in these situations and prepare for when it happens... A woodstove that you can cook on, fill 2 liter soda bottle and water bottles with your home water, etc. There are a lot of things we can do to prepare and be totally ready before such things come upon us.
Posts: 921 | From CT | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Because the storm shifted South, we are supposed to get much less snow than first anticipated.

It shouldn't be anything unusual for us.

Glad to hear that the worst may be over for you, Lymetoo, and that you still have power!!

Sunny days ahead!!

--------------------

glm1111
Member # 16556

TuTu,

Just wondering how you are doing? Are you able to get out? Power?

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Thanks for asking, Gael. We're fine. The rain did not last as long as predicted and it didn't rain as much as predicted. WHEW!!!

You know how accurate those "computer models" are these days! NOT!

We had rain for an hour or two, then hours of wintry mix. Sometimes rain was mixed in but I felt it was going to be OK and it was.

Then we got about 2-3 inches of snow last night. So all totaled about 6 inches.

Hoping that is our last threat of a major ice storm this year, but who knows!? We have had 14 inches of snow in March several times.

Hope you are OK too!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

glm1111
Member # 16556

Very happy to hear every thing is okay. The stress of it all can be overwhelming. We got about 6", but it's not bad here because they clear the streets pretty quickly.

Have a good night.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We dodged a bullet here, so to speak. We went from expected snowfall of 6-12, 4-8, 1-3, to nothing.

Please tell me where I can apply for a job where I can sit on some stage and smile and be wrong most of the time while getting paid big bucks.

Thanks for all the tips on this thread. We never know when we'll be in a situation where we'll need all the help we can get.

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

They are relying too heavily on computers. They have no clue what they are really doing.

The tips were GREAT! They were very helpful!

Our main streets are clear .. it's just hard to get out of our area. It's not far, but uphill on ice doesn't work!

Sometimes they will plow this drive, but they didn't this time. So I don't know. We'll probably be able to get out tomorrow.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sun finally came out today and helped melt the snow/ice on the streets.

Two more snow days to make up at school tho'... [Frown]

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Glad you are thawing out, linky! Our schools here have so many snow days to make up that I've lost count long ago.

We're still stuck but hubby got the car unstuck about 5 pm. Not sure if we'll be able to get out tomorrow for Ash Wednesday services. Hope so!

It's supposed to be 7 degrees tonight. I hope he can at least get out. I think he parked the car up the hill, but I'm unable to walk up the hill. If it's really slick, I won't risk it.

He HAS to be there for the service, I don't.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement