LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Do you work outside of the home? How do you cope?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do you work outside of the home? How do you cope?
JustAnotherHi
Member # 42173

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JustAnotherHi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm 14 years into this and just diagnosed with Lyme. I haven't started treatment yet but I've had the same office job for 8 years and I'm finding it more and more difficult to get there and stay all day, I feel I'm getting more ill every day.

How do you cope if you work? I can't leave work, we need the money too bad, not just to live but for treatment too.

I've started to get creative at work, hiding in my cube, saying I threw my back out and that's why I'm limping, etc.

My boss does know that I test positive for Lyme and seems ok with it for now and a handful of co-workers know.

I just wanted input here about working full time with this disease.

Posts: 17 | From Santa Clarita, CA | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You sound like me 30 yrs ago-i had it 15 yrs before dx

I had to keep job cuz i hd med ins and husband didnt

I taught pe to inner city kids an hour commute from home

I raised four kids...but my marriage only lasted 13 yrs -i think lyme had a lot to do with that

3 of my kids were dx and treated for lyme

I cant type to tell u all i did to be able towork and treat

But its like you said

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its like you said...you have to be creative

If you search on here i have explained how i did it before

There are many other posts on here with ideas

Good luck-i will be out of contact for a few days but will check back soon

Others will be along

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JustAnotherHi
Member # 42173

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JustAnotherHi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lpkayak, thank you for the input. I'll search to see what I can find re: working.

Hope to see you back soon. By the way...are you better now? Still in treatment?

30 years, I can't even imagine it right now.

Posts: 17 | From Santa Clarita, CA | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hard part for me is getting up at 3:30 AM to punch the clock at 4:55 AM.

I dont work hard there,oh wait hard enough to actually sweat all day. till 10 or 11.

Then switch over to a different job with more uncertain days and hours.

Last week was a bear worked thur fri and sat and saturday was a marathon from 12 to 10:30 pm after a full morning shift.

Lucky rested a bit Sunday and did it all over again with both shots on Monday.

And second job is a bear on Mondays,,,they keep me around for Mondays

its called freight day and we get a whole weeks sales inventory of HEAVY stuff to put away in its exact little spot. Each to its own spot.

Nobody else wants to or will actually handle all the heavy stuff so they leave it all for me.

Not saying there isnt easy times, but they are almost more work than the busy time since time moves so slow if your not busy..

My advice is put one foot in front of the other, take one step at a time and keep plodding along.

I think I could do a full time job but most weeks,at least used to be,,,a full time job would be a big pay cut with alot less hours.

When I get tired the brain fog runs my life. Your mileage may vary

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to see you, don! I'm so sorry you have to work so hard. I don't see how you do it.

justanotherhi...I was already disabled by the time I found out I had had Lyme for 42 yrs. It's no wonder, huh?

I have to admire anyone trying to treat this illness and work at the same time.

Gotta hand it to you! [group hug]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your job should be protected under FMLA. If you find yourself missing time at work because of your illness or doctor appointments, you might want to look into this.

Does your workplace offer temporary disability? Just info to know in case you need it.

Take good care....

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I do.

I need to work full time for my medical benefits to pay for my prescriptions and the money to afford to survive and buy all the probiotics and for my treatment costs and supplies.

It is very hard most days. I am up at 5am.

When I get home I climb in my pajamas and stay awake long enough to take my abx, and then I stay upright asleep for 2 hours. Then I take my probiotics. Then go to bed.

My life very much revolves around medication scheduling now. Haha.

I don't set any goals or to-do's on the days I work. Too exhausted.

I am home sick from lyme flare about 4 days a month. My coworkers are very understanding. My union and boss support me phoning in on those days.

I am very grateful and very blessed for a work environment and coworkers and boss who have big hearts and compassion.

But it is still very difficult to go to work every day.

It helps to be stubborn. Finally one of my "worse" personality traits is paying off.

[Smile]

Just worry about each day. And if that's too tough, tell yourself to go another hour and reasses. Before you know it, the work day will be over.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JustAnotherHi
Member # 42173

It's good to hear from others that work. I'm up at 5:00 and lately have to drag myself into work.

The pain is bad sometimes but I don't want to be a drag a talk about it all the time so I pretend I'm ok to my co-workers.

Being chronically ill is the pits. I have co-workers that know what I have but every day ask
"are you feeling better today?" Like it's the flu or something. And I hate saying "not really" over and over again.

I hope my boss is understanding, I haven't started treatment yet, back to LLMD in a couple of weeks. Once treatment starts I fear I'll get worse and miss days, I'm afraid of Herx which I've only read about.

I'll check out FMLA. My problem is that I make more at work than on disability. When I went through Chemo 2 years ago for ovarian cancer I worked through it, off just a couple of days here and there but never went on disability.

I really wish I didn't have to work, it's more than physical pain, it's the pressure of people counting on me...from my family counting on my paycheck to my work counting on me to fulfill my duties.

Anyway...just venting.

lpkayak
Member # 5230

I dont know what fmla is but i would be careful

Many of us learned the hard way to keep quiet about lyme and just do what you gotta do to get thru the day

Get your support here...not at work in most cases

I remember my rule was if i could walk without a cane after my shower i would go to work

I never could walk alone to the shower-but immediate crackers and ibuprofen and the hot shower usually got me to work

And i taught pe. I remember being paralyzed for part of the day and figuring out how to pretend staying in that spit was all part of the plan

I remember falling off a stool while sitting cuz of vertigo and pretending i did it on purpose-good they were kindergarteners-they thoght it was funny

--------------------

JustAnotherHi
Member # 42173

lpkayak, you're awesome. Now I've been DX but before that not knowing what was wrong I told people I'm a "leaner" cuz I leaned on everything to keep from falling over with dizziness.

Sometimes I would need to go to the restroom very quickly "excuse me!" just to get away from a conversation in the hallway because I thought I would pass out or fall over.

It's an art, I tell ya.

I agree to keep it on the down-low and keep on doing what I have been, just putting one foot in front of the other like Just Don said. It's controversial and most people can't understand what we go through.

You all are amazing, glad I found this place (and found out what I have after all of these years of not knowing)

lpkayak
Member # 5230

You sound like a smart, tough person. You'll make it.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement