LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Foster Dog Ate Dark Chocolate and I'm at the Vets

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Foster Dog Ate Dark Chocolate and I'm at the Vets
GretaM
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nerves are fried.

Got some dark dark Easter chocolate.

Foster dog got on the table and ate like 2 oz of the chocolate bunny.

He's a ten pound dog [Frown]

I caught him in the act. Tried to induce vomiting. Didn't work.

Rushed him to the vets.

They induced vomiting. Got the chocolate out.

But he needs to be here another two hours for observation.

I am worried sick. My nerves are fried.

I have no money. Had $27 dollars until Friday.

Will have to go over limit on credit card to pay for this. Hope it clears.

Please pray it clears.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anissahope4healing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anissahope4healing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am praying Greta. If it doesn't clear, I will pray they will let you pay what you can, and then a little bit each month.

I am so sorry. You are doing such a good and kind act of love caring for this dog. I am in the same boat as you are financially, as I am sure many on this site are also.

Your foster dog will be ok, and I believe that somehow God will work this out. Please PM me if your card doesn't go through...I think I have some room left on one of my cards if they will take my card over the phone.

I'll be checking my computer often. Keep us updated. I am on Eastern Standard Time, so it is almost 7pm here.

Hugs to you. Everything will be ok.

Posts: 167 | From Southeast Tennessee/Chattanooga/Atlanta | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG!!!!! I hope everything works out okay...

Perhaps they can bill you for the services???

Please let us know how everything goes..praying for the best. DW

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greta, I am praying that all will be okay for the foster dog.

Maybe they will let you work out a payment plan?

Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He'll be OK!! Your wallet won't be though... ugh.. so sorry to hear!!!!

My border collie years ago ate probably 1/4 bag of Hershey's kisses. I had no clue that chocolate was bad for dogs (40 yrs ago!)

I didn't even know he had eaten the chocolate until I found "foil" in the backyard! Hope that made you laugh!! [Big Grin]

I'll pray for you and the little doggie to survive this!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anissa-you are so very sweet. I think having lyme puts us all in the same boat. Zero savings and maxxed out. You have children, so thank you for your kind offer, but I won't take you up on your offer. Your kids may need something. But thank you anyways, what a big heart you have.

Desertwind-they are a good vet and also help homeless dogs, hopefully they will take a payment plan.

Jane-thank you for praying.

This foster dog has been such a blessing to me. He gets me out of bed and dressed every day. Somehow I find the energy to take him for a spin around the block.

Funny how we think we are helping the strays when really they help us.

[kiss]

Thank you for your support you guys. Between this today and the mepron, a good cry is in order.

I am still at the vets. They want to be sure there isn't any tachyardia from any residual chocolate.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Haha! Lymetoo! Yes my old border collie loved things in foil packets too.

I was always finding weird things she had gotten into.

Border collie smarts get them into a lot of trouble sometimes.

Now I am having irrational fears about the cats somehow getting into the chocolate eggs on top of the fridge.

Prelyme they would be eaten by me by now, but my fear of candida stopped me from eating them.

Sigh.

didogs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for didogs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy your dog is ok.

I had to laugh-once I read he is ok-as I have been doing my "spring clean" of my yard. We have two dogs-and you wouldn't believe what I have found!!

Gotta love them

Posts: 238 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gosh Greta, what a stress. Just remember that this is temporary and will pass.

You are doing a great job of taking care of this dog!

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
didogs... LOL!!

Greta .. So wonderful that the dog is helping YOU! What kind is it?

You shouldn't have any chocolate, Greta! [tsk]
...but if you have to have it, put it in the cabinet or refrigerator.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dogmom2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dogmom2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hoping your foster pup(and you) are doing okay. Are you fostering with an organization than can assist in paying the vet?

take care

Posts: 857 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like things are okay w/ the pup?????

My dear golden ate or rather swallowed an entire avocado pit when I was on mepron ( avocado was my go to food w/ meppy)and had to take her to the er vet. That was a fiasco.....

Hope everything turned out okay. DW

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Avocado pit! Oh my! Ouch! Emergency vets cost a fortune! I am glad your dog is OK.

Haha! Yes yard cleanup in the spring-unusual things to be found when the snow melts! [Big Grin]

The foster dog is a chi/ jack Russel cross. A pipsqueak. White with Brown ears. Very well behaved and smart. Also has a taste for sweets, apparently! 3 years old and a real snuggler. Normally I like the 80 pound doggies, but am realizing the pipsqueaks are special too.

The vet said if I waited to bring him in, or didn't see the wrapper when I did, the dog would have died. But it was quick enough that the chocolate was still in the stomach. Praise god for that miracle.

Normally I am on the computer for hours, but something made me suspicious and I found the bunny wrapper right away. Angels.

When we got home, he zipped and skipped around and played with his toy.

I laid down. Haha. Nerves are shot.

I went over my limit but the card cleared.

And the rescue offered to reimburse me when they get the receipt. I hope to get it to them tomorrow.

Does anyone know if I pay the card to below the limit in 24 hours if it counts?

They said they would etransfer.

Thanks for all your support. Lyme and co has made it hard for me to cope with anything anymore. I am so grateful you guys are here.

I appreciate you guys so much.

XOXO

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Wow... that's scary! I'm so glad my dog survived his round since I was totally unaware he had eaten anything bad!

The little pipsqueak sounds adorable!

I don't know about the card. Call the company tomorrow morning!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greta, I'm so glad the dog is ok. Call the credit card company even tonight, if you can. Hopefully, you get someone with compassion to not charge you a penalty. If not, ask to speak with a supervisor.

Did you see my note about the Mepron in your other thread----that it is now generic, so much, much cheaper, if you get the generic.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-OH
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greta,
Chuck all the chocolate. It is causing you more trouble and worry.
Be sure the garbage can has a tight cover!

I am glad the rescue people will help with the costs.
Ann - OH

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad the doggies is okay. Great that that rescue will reimburse you.
Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dogmom2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dogmom2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great news all around!, thank for keeping us posted.
Posts: 857 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Today we are just snuggling.

He (and I) didn't sleep well last night. Maybe 2 hours total.

So it will be a snoozy day today.

He has his thundershirt on. He likes it.

Thanks for your positivity all.
[group hug]

Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You did the right thing by taking him in as each dog is different. Several of my dogs have eaten chocolate and fortunately were fine. As a child we had a schnauzer that polished off a bag of Hershey kisses. Back then no one knew chocolate could be dangerous and fortunately he was fine.
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it just gave them diareah for awhile.

So they make a mess before they can get outside.

MADDOG

Posts: 3996 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Ohhhhhh..A cuddle day! I love it! I hope you guys had a nice relaxing time:).... I love those days with my golden but minus the drama. So glad all turned out okay and that timing was on your side.
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our dog ate a bottle of shampoo, so I called the vet to see what to do.

He said to give him a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting.

Worked like a charm.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whewph. Glad crisis is over and all worked out.
Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad everyone's ok! When I was heavy treating, I was going up to bed (had already taken sleeping aid) and realized my bathrobe pocket had a hole in it... And no longer had my chewable probiotic with xylitol in it...and then in the back of my mind I remembered Jasper hanging out and sniffing the stairs. Luckily I remembered xylitol is very poisonous to dogs... So I induced vomiting to both dogs with HP. But didn't see a pill come up ... I called poison control... And I swear the councilor thought I was stoned... Normally with my dogs money is no object when it comes to things like this... But in my ambien addled mind I kept saying in slow motion " what if we wait and watch... What should I look for?" And they kept saying you really should bring them both in... And I kept thinking 2 dogs overnight in emergency $$$$$... And I don't even know if they ate it... Boy am I tired.

So I commend you Greta for doing all you had to do and the wherewithal to do it. Glad the rescue is gonna reimburse you.
Luckily my boys are ok..

Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Thanks everyone for your cheer!

He is back to his playful self. Zipping around with the fabric squeaker toys.

Burrowing into blankets.

Barking at the TV when a doorbell rings on the TV! Haha.

Yikes Kudz! Xylitol is a fear of mine too! I use it in my nasal washes and am scared silly to leave it out or get some crystals on the floor.

Maddog and Ellen! Haha! Yes my old dog had a stomach like a rock! She'd eat chocolate, well she'd eat anything really. And you're right, it is messy before they make it outside!

Linky! Shampoo! I never thought of that! I guess it smelled good-good enough to eat.

Yes I tried the hydrogen peroxide on him too right away, but he wouldn't barf. So I broke some traffic laws racing him to the vet.

This was a good lesson learned for me, and it worked out in the end. He is OK and the rescue reimbursed me, so I paid my card back down.

Desertwind and Kam-dog snuggles are the best. Especially the dreaming thing where they run and bark in their sleep.

Whew!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement