LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » My Father was Taken to Hospital, Newst Update #15

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My Father was Taken to Hospital, Newst Update #15
Silverwolf
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi LymeNet Family >>>>>,

My 84 yr.old father is at the hospital in ER.
He was getting ready to go out for a bite to eat,and said his chest hurt, slumped over, briefly lost consciousness.

My brother called 911, dads tongue went slack, he is having tests run right now, as they were were heading to the hospital his chest started hurting again, his standing BP was rather high too.

Those of y'all who pray,we'd appreciate prayer for him,and my brother, who was rather shook up.They had a cardiologist coming in to talk with them. Dad's family has no history of heart issues...but at 84,and after surviving cancer twice, with the chemo and radiation etc. ???

Dad and my brother live in the Seattle area, and we live about 2 long days drive from them. We are awaiting news when the tests are done. We'll decide from then what to do next.

Dad has been having neuro' problems for awhile now, and his memory has been slipping. We'll see what happens now ?!?

It was weird,because we just talked to Dad about 2 and a half hours ago. He was a little tired,but seemed in a good mood. I am hoping it is not too serious, but this is concerning to us.

Thanks for any prayers and tho'ts for Dad.

Jus' Silverwolfi here

[ 05-22-2014, 09:45 AM: Message edited by: Silverwolf ]

--------------------
2006,May-August2006 Dx w/ Lyme/Bartonella/White Matter Lesion Disease on Brain.
[ Clinical Dx w/ two positives and several IND's on the tests from Igenex ], Prior Dx of CFIDS/CEBV 1992, and FMS '93-'94
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Posts: 3581 | From SE Idaho | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthropologista
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anthropologista     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thinking of your Dad, Silverwolf, and sending healing thoughts. It's good that you spoke to him this evening. He knows you're with him, even if you can't be there.
[group hug]

Posts: 431 | From New England | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is very concerning. I hope he will be OK now that he's at the hospital. I'm headed off to bed and will pray for all of you.

Take care.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thinking of you and sending good thoughts that your Dad will be okay.
Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
prayers coming

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pack sis sending many prayers up.
[group hug]

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TxCoord
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TxCoord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey all. Heard from the brother this morning. They have Dad on heart monitors and will keep him the hospital another 30 hours for obs. They’ve scheduled a stress test and an ultra sound. He’s in good spirits. Thanks all.

--------------------
I have a good time wherever I go!

Posts: 665 | From Lost Wages, NV | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to hear! Thanks!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anissahope4healing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anissahope4healing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be praying for your Dad. I am so sorry to hear this happening and my heart goes out to you being far away from him.

Can you brother ask the cardiologist to do a test where they inject dye into your father's vein...I believe they did that with my father, who back then was in his late 70's waiting to get his second knee replaced.

The first cardiologist did the stress test, EKG, and other regular heart tests. I am so thankful that an older neighbor, who lives across from where my husband grew up wanted to make sure and do this test.

He was at a different Cardiology office and thank God we did, because they ended up finding that my Dad had four blocked arteries! They didn't show up on any of the normal routine tests. But this type of test shows how the blood is flowing and where it is not.

So, instead of getting a second knee replacement, my father ended up getting scheduled ASAP a quadruple heart by-pass surgery.

Also, just in case your father may be having some blood clots, there is a medicine that they can give your father to dissolve any blood clots and it's standard procedure for ER patients coming in with stroke symptoms.

Slurred speech, face drooping a bit, not completely noticeable- but this is something else I would have them check into. My father is 85 yrs. old now, and I found that I had to REALLY push for tests, CT scans, MRI's, everything.

And each time I did they found something. Hospitals are too quick to release patients before knowing what caused their symptoms in the first place.

I will be praying for you all and your brother. But you can let your brother know, if he doesn't already, he, your father has every right to see what is wrong and if there are any problems ask to speak to someone higher up and get a patient advocate involved.

I wouldn't leave any stone unturned in regards to father...and he is right there at the hospital now where they can help him.

Posts: 167 | From Southeast Tennessee/Chattanooga/Atlanta | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there <<<<< LymeNet Family, Anthro',Lymetoo, Jane',Lisa',Greta'pack-sis' and Anissa' >>>>>,

After, several heart tests, EKG, Echo', Stress w/ 3D.and injection... they didn't find any, heart problem.

They are not taking this lightly, dad is having the Sleep test,for possible Sleep-Apnea, and is also on ABX. His white count during blood tests was way high. And his blood sugars aren't going back down as they should.

Dad has been extremely careful about his blood sugars and so on, for a very long while. He had a Brain scan in April as his memory went down hill in a huge hurry,and he has been falling very easily,both forward and backwards.

He was taken by surprise w/ the chest pains, and does not realized that he was unconscious for short time. They can't find anything off norm' w/ his heart,but are not done checking things.

He has some really great Doctors, and he isn't going anywhere, until the figure this out. They want to know what this infection is, and what is causing these issues.

Will be checking in w/ my brother after he has had some sleep,brother is pretty exhausted,and isn't well himself right now.

Anissa', I think Dads doctors are thinking along the same lines,as you stated. Something caused this issue,and they are not going to let him go, w/o further testing. I am so glad too, dad is stubborn sometimes and asked to go home.

He keeps saying he doesn't think it is anything serious, the doctors and my brother said: 'Yes it is something to be concerned about...'.

The events of the last couple months put together [ neuro' problems,falling easily, forgetting things, not just losing car keys, but serious matters, coughing, confusion,and now chest pains passing out, high BP,high blood sugars, and high white count ]. These are serious issues, beyond just aging.

Dad,has been delighted w/ his many granchildren and great grandkids,and suddenly he is fogetting who they are. It is heartbreaking, he has realized that something is wrong w/ his memory, but this is sudden and severe.

I will always wonder,if many of his health issues, and moms before she died, are/were tick/vector born illness problems.

Thank you for prayers and healing thot's for my father, brother, and for us. I kept getting an odd feeling that something wasn't right.

We are hoping they will have some more info' by tomorrow. I don't want my brother to get overly tired either,it wont do to have him get ill again too.

Will keep updating,as we get information. and we so much appreciate,the prayers,and kind words of concern.

Jus' Silverwolfi sorta rambling...

--------------------
[ Clinical Dx w/ two positives and several IND's on the tests from Igenex ], Prior Dx of CFIDS/CEBV 1992, and FMS '93-'94
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Posts: 3581 | From SE Idaho | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

That really IS concerning. Sounds like they will get to the bottom of this.

Prayers continue!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make sure they check him for Vitamin B12 deficiency...and if the level comes back lower than 500, demand a B12 shot.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

<<<<< Lymetoo, Razzle, all Repliers,and Those who've been Praying >>>>>,

Dad should be released later today, after he sees the PT and his Doctors. I mentioned the B-12,to my brother,and he and the Drs' had already been checking,this and several other minerals. Dad takes the Methyl'B-12, as I also do.

My father has been plagued by UTI's for several years now,and it seems he has another one. His doctors were puzzled,by the chest pains tho'. They have done several tests, and couldn't find anything wrong heart wise.

The Doctors actually seemed really knowledgeable, and wouldn't release him w/o further testing,because... 'too often,something may not be right w/ the heart and regular testing doesn't always catch it .'... I am glad they were thorough!!!

Dad has had problems UTI wise before, and gets disoriented,because of infection and fever. These doctors have worked w/ him for many years,so they wont let him, just fade away, and hide somewhere. There will be follow ups!

My Dad really wants to move to a smaller, quieter area,but, I think he just might be where the Lord wants him, w/ good caring doctors. and since he's been in area for over 50 yrs. a move would not be easy, especially at 84 yrs,of age.

Thanks again for all of y'alls kind tho'ts, prayers,and info'. My brother will be calling in later, probably this evening w/ more details.

Will try to update more s info' becomes available. Dad isn't very strong so any progress may take awhile. I don't delude myself, that his time may be short. His Sis' and cousins are gone,Momma is gone and he is lonely.

TxC' and I call him,and try to keep his spirits up, tell him funny and interesting things,and ask after his interests. He loves radio,electronics, Ham radio and such. And my brother tries to help him,as much as dad will let him.

So this is where things stand, Brother, gets Myco' P.,and stays worn down. I figure he probably has LD too. and Dad may also?.

Okay,will check in later, when I can...

Jus' Silverwolfi here

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Lymetoo
Member # 743

OH yes, those UTI's in the elderly can get very serious very quickly. Something to watch for all the time.

Being disoriented and confused is a big signal.

Hope he is better very soon!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my mom had a huge stroke - obvious to us- the dr came in and said she had a UTI....I said really?

Doc said yes, UTI's can mimic strokes. I guess when they scanned mom for a stroke it didn't show up yet, so UTI was their diagnosis. The doc did change it after another scan...

So, glad your Dad is getting checked over thoroughly. It is hard when our folks start declining age. So make sure you take good care of yourselves- even tho you are not close in driving you need to watch your stress levels.

Take care....be praying!

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

<<<<< Lymetoo, Dogsandcats, and each of Y'all who've been Praying >>>>>,

Interesting about the confusion, disorientation,and things showing up... after awhile.

I found out, after my brother got dad home and settled in, that one of the young PA's wasn't quite satisfied, w/ something in the tests,and dads medical background.

The PA went to dads team,especially the Cardio-care folks, and asked that some of the results and medical info' be checked again, before they let my Dad come home!!

Altho' they are not sure it had anything to do w/ the UTI bladder infection mess, an 'old heart murmur dad occasionally seemed to have, has become something more.

He has a leaky heart valve, which will be monitored very carefully at 3 to 6 months intervals. And he'll be having more sleep study done in June.

Thank the Lord,for praying, caring folks, and caring doctors, who listen when a young PA doesn't feel something is right. They aren't gonna let my stubborn daddy,just sweep this under the rug.

While I wish we could see dad more often, I know now, that between the doctors,and my brother,
dad will be keeping his follow up appointments. and they will be working to keep him as well as they are able!!

So that is my new news from last night. Thanks again to all who replied,and each Lymenet person that was praying and sending healing thot's!

Jus' that Silverwolfi here.

and a PS.I go back in end of June, for blood work,Urinary anaylsis,and so on,after my liver got tender,and messed up. and I am on mostly herbal supplement meds now.

And my TxC',honeybear,is seeing Dr. and nutriotionist/dietician every Thur. as they monitor him, and several others in a low carb' diet class. The class asks lots of questions,discusses any thing unusual symptoms wise,and Dr. offers help.

Jus' me-agi'n

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Lymetoo
Member # 743

So is your dad going home today? Sounds like they really need to keep tabs on the leaky valve!

Will keep all of you in prayer!

Take care, Silver and TXC!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Hi <<<<< Lymetoo >>>>>,

Dad went home last night, he was on the phone, when my brother called here.

These doctors know Dad, and will stay in contact, to be certain, both, the UTI and the heart valve are monitored.

It was good that they went in to ER, and got dad tested, but very hard on dad and my brother to be there for long. Momma died there,in May of 2008.

They know the quality of the Doctors and staff there, so he was in good hands. The disease that killed my mom, takes most people out in 18 months or less,

she lived over 20 years after DX. Much prayer, many medicines,and a clinic full of special doctors and staff helped her. And some of those folk are keeping tabs on dad.

The prayers are very much appreciated [Smile] !!!

Jus' Silverwolfi here trying to destress!

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Hi <<<<< LymeNet Family >>>>>,

Found out a bit ago that my dad insisted on going home earlier than what his Doctors wanted.

But they made him get the appointment for sleep study,and insist that he be checked as a follow up on the heart valve. Well, my brother will most likely have his hands full trying to be sure dad makes his appointments.

Brother was pretty shook over all this scary mess. And the Doctors were quite concerned too. I also think dad may be fretting over the city demanding he clean up his yard. And that is driving his stress levels up.

Dad likes to work on older vehicles, but has been getting nothing done fast of late, and they have a number of partly done projects under way. Brother got pneumonia, and it's sorta where ever you go there ya' are. The yard is suffering... but what to do???

We've suggested, getting help from some hungry for pizza young folk in dads churches but that didn't get very far, there seems to be some Fine involved so brother is checking legal info'.

Ah well, we'll be checking in often,and see how things go.

Jus' Silverwolfi here

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw this.
Sending prayers and good thoughts for you and your family.

[group hug]

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Hi there <<<<< Carol' >>>>>,

Thanks so much for the prayers and good tho'ts, it's been a scary last week.

Hoping, dad will keep those follow up appointments, he can be a bit stubborn. Guess he had to be to survive two kinds of cancer,and a third pre-cancerous condition .

He's had UTI/bladder issues before,but the leaky heart valve sorta took us all by surprise.

Jus' Silverwolfi here

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement