LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Are there any places to vacation that are free of fragrance and ticks???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Are there any places to vacation that are free of fragrance and ticks???
Judie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I'm fantasizing about a vacation when I'm feeling better after all this Lyme stuff.

I'm very sensitive to fragrance and typical cleaners. Camping is out of the question. I don't want to risk another tick bite.

Has anyone done a successful vacation? Any safer vacation rentals that you've found?

I need a break so bad and need something to look forward to.

Thanks!

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anissahope4healing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anissahope4healing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great question...I am curious to see if anyone knows if anything like that exists?

I wonder if an Allergy Clinic would have some information on places to stay that are specific for sensitivities.

I'll Google around and try different searches and see what pops up.

Posts: 167 | From Southeast Tennessee/Chattanooga/Atlanta | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks! I've been doing a lot of searches too. I'll post if I find anything.

What's allergy clinic?

It's so hard to gauge places.

When I was in better health, there was one place I stayed at the was fine the first time, but the second time was awful (the washer got contaminated by a guest who used scented detergent and fabric softener and they had scented candles in the room!).

I even called before I arrived the 2nd time to confirm it would be okay.

Everything stank and then I had to find another place to stay.

I don't want to go through that again.

They were even advertising on an eco-friendly site. Maybe they became green, but not non-toxic.

Even the cleaning supplies under the sink was all the nasty stuff the 2nd time.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Samlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great question. Just found this list.

http://yellowcanary.com/travelsafe/

I've been to Kripalu in western massachusetts a few times. I believe they discourage visitors from using scented products. The food is amazing and very accommodating for food intolerances. It has a very healing, relaxed atmosphere and they run a lot of programs focusing on healing.

http://www.kripalu.org

Posts: 154 | From Boston | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Thanks Samlyme,

Some places look really good.

Wow, they need to update their site. A lot of links on yellowcanary are defunct. That's unfortunate.

Some links still work though. Thanks again.

Judie
Member # 38323

Here are some sites I found that have "fragrance-free" in the listings, but the search engine doesn't work right so you have to comb through everything.

http://www.organicholidays.co.uk/

http://www.greenvacationhub.com/

Oh, and I tried the "safer travel directory." That was a mess. I know someone else with MCS who checked out some of the places in person and they were not good (whoever runs the directory doesn't screen the places).

There was a listing for an airbnb room.

Beware of airbnb. I paid up front for renting the room. The landlord got a better financial offer from these people who wanted to rent the whole place, so she cancelled my reservation at the last minute.

I had already bought the plane tickets too. There's no recourse on airbnb.

This is the OPPOSITE of safer travel.

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a community in rhe Southwest comprised of everyone who is chem sensitive - might be in NM? I wonder if they have any hang-out areas for visitors? PM me for a name if you're interested -
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny you should say that... I was thinking she should try a vacation in NM too!!

Taos or Santa Fe, maybe?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
payne
Member # 26248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for payne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
north pole ?

--------------------
TULAREMIA/rabbit fever ?

Posts: 1931 | From mid-michigan | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

I can't tolerate hot weather either. Isn't NM hot?

The north pole is looking pretty good, but I heard even the penguins have ticks that carry Lyme. I'll having to avoid petting those cute, little guys.

Well, I know I'll just need a safer place and nothing will be perfect.

I was actually thinking Alaska or some place up north would be good. Maybe some where in the UK since it doesn't get as hot there.

Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taos is beautiful- but would there still be ticks? Maybe in October it would be safe.

We visited Sedona in Arizona and it is beautiful- maybe at the turn of seasons a little cooler and safer.

Taos
Weather:
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/87571

I was bit in Alaska in the Denali forest. We had been on cruises three times before in Alaska and no problems.
The forest must have been were they all waited for me.
The cruise is spectacular....

I don't know where you are in California....Santa Barbara?
San Diego?

We went to Seattle and loved it there....

Most of this was before I met the tick.....

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judie, Check out this site below, I'm also very sensitive to fragrances and cleaners. Click on the links, you can also click on the State you would like to visit.

http://www.greenvacationhub.com/advanced.php

MCS and allergic travelers:
How to get the most out of the Hub when you've got allergies!

A growing number of children and adults have asthma, allergies and chemical sensitivities (or MCS). We at the Hub know that this can pose additional challenges to traveling, so we have set up the site to make it easy to narrow down to vacation accommodations that meet your specific needs. Here's how:

Once you have used the site map/search to narrow down to the listings in your destination city, you will notice that along the left a variety of criteria will appear. You can use the criteria on the left to narrow down those listings that meet your needs or the needs of your family members.
If you are allergic to animals, you can use the drop-down menu along the left to narrow down to listings that never allow pets.

If it's important to you that your accommodations are fragrance free, choose the fragrance free checkbox to narrow to listings that passed the fragrance free category.

If it's important to you that your accommodations are careful about air quality issues, check the air quality to narrow to listings that passed the air quality category.

Remember, businesses need to pass only three of five questions in a category in order to qualify for that category. Be sure you read their Green Profile on their full page listing to make sure they have answered Yes to the questions that are important to you. Click here to view the questionnaire that members fill out when they join.

Special Note:
Green Vacation Hub works hard to provide the most current, accurate information. For more detailed data related to environmental sensitivities and allergies, we strongly recommend contacting the vacation accommodation directly to inquire about your specific needs.

Green Vacation Hub is pleased to announce our recent partnership with The Safer Travel Directory at www.safertraveldirectory.com
The Safer Travel Directory is a print directory with a whopping 350 vacation accommodations that are better for health-conscious and chemically sensitive travelers. We heartily encourage all health-conscious and environmentally sensitive travelers to purchase this very affordable directory.

It's small enough to fit in your glove compartment, and big enough to meet your healthy travel needs.

http://www.greenvacationhub.com/advanced.php

Steve

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coppertop
Member # 44097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coppertop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Link Steve!! I found that typing in the letter "a" - gave me all the listings. HUGS

--------------------
Lyme disease, Addison's Disease, immune problems and more

Posts: 9 | From Arizona | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Dogsandcats - How was the cruise? Was it fragrance free and chemical free?

I thought about doing a cruise, but I've never been on one.

Judie
Member # 38323

Steve - I posted the same exact links and information in the 6th post down.

"Safer travel directory" was a disaster for both me and another person I know (read above for details).

It's NOT SAFE at all.

They don't check out their ads at all and it's anything but safe when someone cancels on you at the last minute.

Greenvacationhub is okay, but the search engine is abysmal. You need to comb through everything and know exactly where you want to go to do a search.

I don't know where I want to go, so it's very difficult navigating on there.

randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
taos is located in a forest. trees such as cedar, pine, and oak plus the pinon can set off allergies.
santa fe can have high dusty winds.

we go often to both places. and some people have trouble with the altitude.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

I'm totally fine around plants, even mold. Go figure...

(not that I'd want to be in a moldy cave)

Dusty wind sounds awful. Altitude could be a problem.

beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe consider an east coast beach vacation such as Cape May, NJ or Ocean City, MD? Both places have sidewalks, are fun and don't have a lot of grassy places by the beach. Also consider Florida. What type if vacation are you looking for?
Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Hi Beaches,

"What type if vacation are you looking for?"

I'd like to go somewhere and stay for a week. I'm not really into road trips.

I'm not very familiar with the East Coast (just NYC and Florida which was very hot and humid from what I recall). I don't like a lot of bugs and I've become heat intolerant since I've been sick, but I do really like to swim and snorkel when I'm well.

I don't know anything about the places you mentioned, but I'll look into them. Thanks!

I was looking at the outerbanks, NC area. It came up on a search for natural places or something like that. I like the idea of seeing wild horses and sea turtles.

In or by a town with good restaurants would be ideal. I also like being on boats, but think I might get bored on a cruise.

I'm not a lounging, sun-bather type. I like to explore and see things.

I had a great time on Catalina Island awhile back, but since I've already done that. I need something new. No cars there and lots of shops, nature and restaurants with cool, deco history all around.

I've also enjoyed London, just walking around and exploring history.

Air travel seems pretty expensive right now except for a few places.

New Zealand or Australia would be awesome, but I don't want to be in a big city unless it's VERY different than the USA.

beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cape May is so beautiful with tons of great restaurants and options for boat rides for fishing and dolphin-watching. I would recommend going off-season- May or September, to avoid summer crowds.

I've never been to the Outerbanks myself (but hoping to get there one of these days)

As for FL, it's beautiful there in the winter...especially in January and February!

Chincoteague VA is known for its wild horses. I've heard it's beautiful.

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Above timberline in Wyoming.The snowy range.

http://www.wyomingtourism.org/thingstodo/detail/Snowy-Range-Scenic-Byway/4274

Check out the pics.

MADDOG

Posts: 3996 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Thank you so much for the great suggestions!

Beaches - I never thought of going to Florida in the winter. Is it warm enough to go swimming? Is there a particular place you'd recommend?

I remember there's some island off the coast that's known for seashells, I can't remember the name. Maybe Sanibel?

I've never heard of Cape May, but I just found a fragrance free rental there. Wow.

Maddog - Yes, Wyoming is beautiful!

Keep the suggestions coming. This is REALLY helping keep the blues away.

Thanks everyone! [Smile]

GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judie-please be cautious of places with sand too because of the sand flies.

The sand fleas sent me over the edge neuro wise and I am paranoid about them now.

IMO, they are just as dirty as tick, virus wise.

All these great places sound wonderful and I am wistfully dreaming about a holiday.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Where are the sand fleas?

Are they particular to the east coast beaches?

Are they bad a certain time of year?

I don't see them at the beaches in California.

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didnt know penquins had ticks...that is very sad

Chungoteague is full of ticks...i got a pony there once

I like the maine/nh coast

Th er r are places where there are ticks but i have learned to stay away...they arent in hot,sandy, rocky areas

I like the beach when wind is off the water...it blows bugs back toland

I dont remember sand fleas here but it has been a long time since i was on sand...i used to love to stand in. Cold water...it was like icing my knees and feet

I usually sit in folding chair high on rocks-thrre are free places to park near rocks in nh and wells maine

Some of the cottages have screened porches

Ppl come here to shop cuz no tax-ther es zoos and water parks lots of stuff not too far

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Not sure about sand fleas. Don't think I've ever encountered one. IMO you,re a lot safer at a shore environment where there's plenty of concrete and sand.

Cape May NJ and Ocean City MD qualify. Not surprising that Chincoteague is full of ticks.

Judie, Maine and NH shore is beautiful too! You could do a road trip from Portsmouth NH or Portland ME and go north to Acadia Nat'l Park. But I can't guarantee that that road trip would be tick-free.

beaches
Member # 38251

Not sure about sand fleas. Don't think I've ever encountered one. IMO you,re a lot safer at a shore environment where there's plenty of concrete and sand.

Cape May NJ and Ocean City MD qualify. Not surprising that Chincoteague is full of ticks.

Judie, Maine and NH shore is beautiful too! You could do a road trip from Portsmouth NH or Portland ME and go north to Acadia Nat'l Park. But I can't guarantee that that road trip would be tick-free.

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Theres cruises or boatrides-not overnight-from portland maine to nova scotia too

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are heading to PEI (Prince Edward Island - get it? My name DBPEI - hah!)in Atlantic Canada in a couple of days. It is the most beautiful and magical place I have ever been with its glistening blue seas and fields of canola and barley.

We always see bald eagles and gannets soaring, along with amazing creatures coming up for air out of the ocean - like seals, porpoises and sometimes, whales.

Most of the islanders are very friendly and hospitable. It is truly the next best thing to heaven for me to be there. It would be absolutely perfect if Lyme hadn't traveled there, but I know it has.

It is not tick free, but there is not one deer on the island. The migrating birds and small animals do plenty to help spread TBI, unfortunately. Anyhow, if you don't mind a long drive, I highly recommend this amazing destination for anyone looking to get away to a peaceful and beautiful place.

Last year, we rented a cottage that used only fragrance free cleansers and detergents. I think this way of thinking is common on the island.

http://www.tourismpei.com/relax-on-pei

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement