LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Travel/Vacation While Sick...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Travel/Vacation While Sick...
desertwind
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, back in April when I was feeling very good I decided to say yes to a trip to Paris with my Sister-In-Law and Niece. HS graduation present for my lovely niece. I have not been on vacation for close to 10 years and felt that I was well enough to go and enjoy myself.

Anyway, fast forward to July. I have been re-infected twice and back to treating Lyme, Babesia and Tularemia. I have days where I feel okay and can function at about 60-70% and then other days where I am in bed and cannot even move. You all know how that goes. It is so unpredicatable and I never know from one day to the next if I will be able to function or not.

So, therein lies the dilemma. I am concerned about traveling and feeling sick or getting sicker while away but at the same time feel that it is too late for me to bow out of the vacation. I think I might have a different attitude about the trip if I were going somewhere really relaxing like to a beach or something. Being in a busy tourist type city feels very overwhelming to me in terms of my health right now.

A few days ago when I was feeling horrible and laying in bed I thought to myself that there would be no way I could ever board a plane or trudge through an airport.

My family is "aware" of my issues with lyme but does not really understand it. A few weeks of Doxy and I should be fine is the mentality. I do not want to go into detail about my health history with my family.

Just feeling like I am in a dilemma and not sure how to deal with it. Anyone else dealt with something like this?

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TxCoord
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TxCoord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting that you bring this up as I just read this article from Toni Bernard who suffers from chronic debilitating pain herself.
www.psychologytoday.com/blog/turning-straw-gold

Here are the 4 points she covers
1. Except for my immediate family and my two closest friends, I didn’t tell people I was going.

2. Why would I go on a vacation that I knew would exacerbate my symptoms?

3. By 9 a.m., it felt like 1 p.m. and by 5 p.m., it felt like I should be going to bed for the night.

4. The vacation was a “happy-sad” time for me.

--------------------
I have a good time wherever I go!

Posts: 665 | From Lost Wages, NV | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The good news is that the 2 of them can go off together if you need to stay in and rest- not just 1 other person depending on you to be the partner, or kids with you to take care of.

I'm assuming you are staying in a hotel? I'd say no worries, you tell them (the truth) you are on some heavy medication that takes a lot out of you, and you may need to hang back some days, rest in the room, and call room service.

Are you going to the Louvre museum? I'd save everything you got for that event personally, throw down French espresso all the while if you must!

Go with the knowledge you don't have to entertain anyone- and have permission to bow out, let them go off-

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the great feedback. Yes, I need to give myself permission to not "pretend" all is perfect and tend to my health needs as they come up.

The Toni Bernard article was good and to the point. I read her book a few years ago as well.

Yes, we are staying in a US Hotel chain while there and we have separate rooms so I can always stay back when needed or go back to my room whenever I need to.

They do know that both myself and hubby got bit and sick again but of course never bothered to ask how we are doing (hum...maybe that irritates me just a bit). They come from the mind set that "it's all good" even when it clearly is not.

If I do end up going I will certainly visit the Louvre Museum and have my share of espresso:).

In retrospect I should have known that at any moment I could fall ill again and should have planned a trip that speaks to what brings ME peace and comfort.

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went on a cruise when I was feeling so-so. ended up spending most of it in sickbay at the bottom of the ship. could not eat so dining room was out. had to cancel shore excursions.

husband was livid mad.

so nope, trips are out for me until I'm feeling better.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Thanks randibear; I appreciate the honesty. That is NOT how a vacation is suppose to be and dreadful that hubby got that angry at you or the situation. So you now know to say no to vacations.

I fear that just the act of "getting there" is going to leave me feeling like a shell of my former self and that could take me back quite a bit in my treatment.

If I go I feel like I will be doing it to keep the peace and as to not upset family members who are so excited that I am going with them. So,I either have to change my mind set and go with it or make a decision and back out.

surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well hey, just found out you can do an online tour of the Louvre Museum.

I actually don't travel, for various reasons. But we do day trips. I find I am hard to get out of the house for these,
but once I'm out and there, really glad I went.

Last vacation we tried my PANS dd had a serious breakdown while there (years ago) I think I still have PTSD from it.

It's a hard call for you, I am sure, with the airplane travel and felt expectations.
But you have to take care of yourself either way---sound like a pretty great Aunty to me :-)

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement