LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Lyme in the Hamptons NY

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme in the Hamptons NY
surprise
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://nypost.com/2014/07/27/campaign-to-battle-lyme-disease-mounts-as-hamptons-epidemic-grows/

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Ahhhggg: "Early treatment typically includes a single dose of antibiotics."

In paragraph 9.

And they think that will do it. Uhhh. I hope those people get educated about all this. They think what they are seeing now is overwhelming? Just wait a few months or a year if everyone is just getting one pill now.

I hope the people themselves learn more as the doctors there apparently haven't bothered.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That phrase wasn't a quote from anyone mentioned in the article. The author likely did a wiki search in order to explain it.

Lyme/cos is epidemic on eastern Long Island, as it is in the Hudson Valley region.

There are scores of people in these areas of NY who have suffered for years and are very knowledgable about TBD. And there are docs too who are fully aware.

I am happy to see this type of article on the Hamptons. It is a posh area where many famous people have homes. It is a huge tourist attraction, so I was surprised the article was published.

I hope that since numerous celebs have homes there, that a bigger spotlight will be placed on this epidemic.

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Yes, it's a quote from the writer (who I assume got it from the doctors interviewed). I might take just tiny hope, though, as you point out . . . it's not a direct quote of a doctor but an indirect one, perhaps . . . or maybe the writer just tossed that in from some IDSA background piece from another source back at their desk.

Usually, a writer would check such a statement with the doctors they interview, though. Most often, the doctors would mention the treatment in an interview like this. Not all their words will land in quotation marks.

Still, maybe . . . just maybe the doctors might know better than to just prescribe one pill, though?
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I was very pleased with the publication:

'It's an epidemic', 'treats 100 patients a week', 'dozens of children and adults are being diagnosed each day'

Right, big fat money here, which is of course a hot incentive to find a solution, we hope.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler don't overthink this and don't assume anything.

Long Island, New York is ground zero for Lyme Disease IMO.

ditto, surprise.

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
The writer states: "Early treatment typically includes a single dose of antibiotics." (excerpt from paragraph 9)

I know that's not going to work out well for some people. It's a major concern. That could cause some to miss an important window of treatment opportunity.
-

[ 07-31-2014, 02:58 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

beaches
Member # 38251

"Early treatment typically includes a single dose of antibiotics."

There is nothing wrong with that statement, because, in some cases, a few weeks of doxy is all it takes.

And again, that's not a quote from the docs mentioned in the article.

You say that the writer is not well-educated in this matter.

I disagree. This writer totally "gets it" and kudos to her for getting this article published in the NY Post!

Keebler, NYS is ground zero for Lyme Disease. I am thrilled this article was published! It's about time the truth came out!

TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"A single dose" means taking the medication ONE TIME and one time only. So, it means one pill, or perhaps 2 pills (two 100 mg doxy) taken once only.
Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
A single dose is one pill, one time. No days repeated. Just once.

This is what many doctors will do for an embedded tick bite, even am EM rash. It's part of the IDSA guidelines.

"Single Dose" is the top action but they seem to prefer the wait and see approach and then will also demand ridiculous testing done the wrong way. Then, it's usually too late. But at least then they may get 14 - 28 days Rx, tops.

Monotherapy, though, no combination. Just one drug (never a good idea with lyme - often fails). No attention to possible other tick-borne infections.

This is what the reporter should have included. I see writers, journalists as being key to helping the public even know they need to become better educated on a matter because, if the tick embedded in their body (or a family member's body) is infected, they need to know the difference in IDSA guidelines and ILADS considerations ASAP so they can have a choice.
-

beaches
Member # 38251

OK, yes. I took the "one dose" to mean "one course" of abx.

Even IDSA docs will treat for 2 or 3 weeks, so it didn't even occur to me that a doc would just give one or two pills.

Technically, the writer did not delve into the details (or perhaps she did--who knows what was edited).

The victory here is that a major NYC newspaper has published an article stating that a wealthy playground for the rich and famous has an epidemic of Lyme Disease.

It's a huge start!

Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you read the new ILADS guidelines, it is one of the first things debunked- that stupid one dose of doxy garbage.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement