LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » My Dog Rocky Not Doing Well

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My Dog Rocky Not Doing Well
aklnwlf
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5960

Icon 9 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Waiting on a phone call from my vet. My 12 year old black lab, Rocky is really struggling with his hip dysplasia. I've been keeping him in the kitchen and hallway while I'm at work.

Used to keep him outside on the porch so he could climb down the stairs and go into his pen. He's been falling down them and can no longer climb back up.

What's really bothering me is that he's barely eating or drinking anymore. He was breathing very hard through his nose this morning as he struggled to walk into the kitchen.

I can't afford surgery so am probably going to put him to sleep this week.

I'm absolutely devastated.

He's been with me through my separation and all of my lyme treatment. He's always been there for me and has been the best companion at the worst times of my life. He was the only one around for me when I was so sick I couldn't get out of bed. He helped me make it.

I'll miss him very much.......

[Frown]

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6145 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh ak im so sorry. That is why i had to put my schnauzer kris down. First we used one pain pill then added a second. But they made him so thirsty at night and even tho i put water right next to him he couldnt stand up to drink it so all night every few hours he would bark until i came and lifted his water

It was really hard to make the decision cuz i knew he still knew me and where he was etc

Like you he was my partner thru so many really hard times

I realized kris wasnt happy not being able to run and jump and that helped me make the decision. I think of him now frolicking inheaven

Im so sorry you are facing this...but he has had a good life. I remember your posts...everyday walking the property line

And 12 is getting up there for a lab

I hope the vet can clarify what is going on so you can make a decision

I will be thinking of you both a lot todsy

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I'm so very sorry to hear this. I wish you had access to a SOTA LIGHTWORKS LED Light wand. I hear they can really help with comfort.

Still, as you sort through all this, whatever, I'm sure Rocky feels your love and appreciates your comfort. Keep that heart to heart strong -- and if it is time for him to bound off to greener hills . . . that bond will still be with you so hold onto it. It has to balance your pain, too.

Wonder if you might have a friend who sings or plays a gentle musical instrument to come and comfort you both? There will be tears, either way with this process, still, anything that can soothe, go for it.

Hugs to you both.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry to hear this, AK. That is so sad!! I know Rocky has been there for you all of these years and now you are there for him.

You have not failed him and if you have to let him go, then you know it was best for him. He will thank you for it as he runs through green fields of clover.

We had to put our dog down about 25 years ago and I still love him with all of my heart.

Love and hugs to you as you travel this lonely path.

[group hug]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my heart hurts for you. So sorry. I wish I had more to say to comfort you.

I will keep you in my prayers.

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had our Buddy put to sleep last month. He was the best, most loyal dog we've ever had.

It was really tough, but I am so glad he isn't suffering anymore.

Will send up a prayer for you. [group hug]

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry---(you too linky123)

Hang in there please--- positive thoughts out to you---

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My heart goes out to you in ways you can't imagine.

The same situation happened with my sister (who contracted lyme) and her dog named Coffee (rescued shelter dog).

When she was in pain, Coffee would ALWAYS be by her side.

If it is any consolation...we DO reunite with our beloved pets someday in heaven.

ABSOLUTELY.

Give him the of gift letting go - just as we all have to do with our children.

It is really hard.

Is is somewhat easier to be with pets just before and during the procedure because then we will witness this *merciful* procedure.

Vets give the animals a sedative to relax them first. When it takes effect, they give high doses of potassium to stop their hearts. It works REALLY fast and the animals do NOT suffer.

I know...I stood next to my "Charlie" (Bichon Frise) when I (we) permitted this. He was in congestive heart failure at 12 years of age.
My husband and I both cried (as did our vet!).

We missed having a dog so much that despite our house being on the market at that time...we bought a new puppy (!) within a few weeks of letting go of Charlie.

It helped ease the pain.

I hope these words somehow help you thru this difficult time (edited for sex of dog):

TREASURED FRIEND

I lost a treasured friend today
The little dog who used to lay
His gentle head upon my knee
And shared his silent thoughts with me.

He’ll come no longer to my call
Retrieve no more his favourite ball
A voice far greater than my own
Has called him to His golden throne.

Although my eyes are filled with tears
I thank Him for the happy years
He let him spend down here with me
And for his love and loyalty.

When it is time for me to go
And join him there, this much I know
I shall not fear the transient dark
For he will greet me with a bark.

~Author Unknown

[ 08-21-2014, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: Marnie ]

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My heart is with you, too. I just wanted to add one thing: has Rocky been tested for Lyme? rear end lameness is one of the first symptoms of canine Lyme, followed quickly by lethargy and loss of appetite.

Just a thought. I have a dog and cat and know how valuable they are in our lives. I had feared for my Aussie's life, because of some of the symptoms you mentioned, but he did test positive for Lyme and recovered with a course of abx.

Not saying that's true for Rocky, but just offering that as a thought.

Meantime, my heart and thoughts are with you both.,

andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This symptom list from PetMD:

Other symptoms associated with Lyme disease include:

Stiff walk with an arched back
Sensitive to touch
Difficulty breathing
Fever, lack of appetite, and depression may accompany inflammation of the joints
Superficial lymph nodes close to the site of the infecting tick bite may be swollen
Heart abnormalities are reported, but rare; they include complete heart block
Nervous system complications (rare)

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch
Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so very sorry you are going through this. randi had chf too. she was 13 when we put her down. I just bawled in the vet's office.

I called husband at work when she collapsed and he flat out told them his baby was in trouble and he was going home. nobody said a word cause they knew how he was about our dog.

I cried every day for months. we had her cremated and her collar and blue stuffed kitty, her favorite toy, are in the console in the living room.

they are our absolute best friends. I still grieve every day.

it gets a little easier but it never goes away.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Icon 9 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't thank you all enough. Our appointment is Saturday at 10:30.

My nephew and I are taking Rocky for his last ride. Hubs can't get off from work.

I really don't want to put him down but he can hardly walk and I see the pain in his eyes.

Hubs and a co-worker are trying to dig a hole in the hard clay, so far they've dug down about a foot and a half.

Rocky has a stuffed moose (Moosie) his Mom and Dad yellow tattoo collar and matching leash that I plan on burying with him.

It's going to be very hard.

I'll check in over the weekend.

Thank you all.

[group hug]

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6145 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best friends = Animals without a doubt!!!

You’re doing the right thing, even if you had the money, changes are, he would never be the same, and more than likely he would always be in some sort of pain.

He had a good life, 12 years, still a little young for a dog. Try to remember all the good times. In our relationships with humans, we have good and bad memories, but with dogs, we only have good memories [Smile]

A Labrador would be (89 in human years). Checkout this site below, it’s a calculator for all breads of dogs.

http://www.pedigree.com/02all-things-dog/dog-age-calculator/default.aspx

I’m so sorry to hear this sad news!

Steve

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Some vets will make a house call for such a visit. Really. If it does come down to a "good bye" and if there might be anyway for a vet house call, that would be easier, maybe on everyone. It may not cost anymore if it's not out of their way.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't imagine going thru this.
Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pocono Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

--------------------
2 Corinthians 12:9-11

9 But he said to me, �My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.� Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ�s power may rest on me.

Posts: 1445 | From Poconos, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hope your ok , AK...thinking of you a lot.

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Me too
kam
Member # 3410

Run away if you need to...but be sure and come back.

we miss you.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[group hug] AK .. Thinking of you.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Icon 2 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone. Thank you for all the support. I didn't have access to a computer until today.

I fried strip steaks for Rocky Friday night and then on his last morning, Saturday, I fried him a steak, egg and cheese.

My nephew, Josh and I took him to the vet. The first shot was a strong sedative. Rocky went into a very deep sleep. I was on the floor with him the whole time. He was partly on my lap and I was loving on him and talking with him as long as they'd let me.

Then we were told to leave for about 10 minutes. The vet didn't want me to see the reaction from the second injection and I'm glad.

The vet and team had wrapped Rocky in a blanket that I brought along with his stuffed moose. He was securely duck taped in there.

Me, hubs and Josh buried him in my backyard.

I've cried for days and haven't been home since Sunday. Today will be my first time home.

You guys are the best! You've helped me through one of the toughest times of my life.

Thanks for being there for me.

[group hug]

--------------------

Alaska Lone Wolf

randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ah I'm so sorry. our vet allowed us to stay with randi the whole time. she went very peacefully but I didn't. I was acting up so bad the vet told him to get me out of there.

I mean big ole sobbing throwing a hizzy fit outburst. he teared up but not me. I was outright squalling.

the nurse called later and said the vet went in the back and cried. he had raised her since she was 7 weeks old.

it's ok to grieve. it's been five years and I miss her every day.

it will get better but somehow a piece of you dies with them.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AK--I bawled my eyes out when I had to put my cat to sleep. I could not stay and watch.

Thinking of you. [group hug]

Hiker53

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8890 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

you did the right thing...hes up there running around and saying "thank you mom "

--------------------

kam
Member # 3410

[group hug]
kam
Member # 3410

[group hug]
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so sorry. My heart wrenched as I read your post.
Animals play an important part in our lives with their unconditional love.

Everyone grieves differently. Allow yourself to go through it.

May God remind you, with each tear, of the blessings Rocky added in your life.

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement