LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » SF Bay Area earthquake this morning!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SF Bay Area earthquake this morning!
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A 6.0 - I was still up and at first I thought it was me - you know how we are - a new symptom? It started light, then grew, and then I knew. A lot of rolling back and forth. Very glad when it ended, and then we always wonder where the epicenter was.

Turns out north of here, in beautiful Napa area wine country. Intense there. People have their work cut out for them today and beyond.

I saw this exchange on the net:

Q.Can someone explain the difference between a significant fire and an insignificant fire?

A. It's significant when it's happening to you.

Our state is always teasing between north and south. Exchange between two former mayors, Mayor Alioto, SF, and Mayor Tom Bradley, LA:

Mayor Bradley said he would never live in SF because of the earthquake problem.

Mayor Alioto said if he had 6 months to live, he would move to LA because it would feel like an eternity.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny!
Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh good, I'm glad you posted, Robin.
I wanted to ask you how bad it was where you were.

Pennsylvania gets earthquakes occasionally...they are noisy, due to the rock structure.
The first I remember, in 1984, I thought the furnace was going to blow up.
The second one I recall, sounded like a locomotive charging through under the ground.

The Virginia earthquake three years ago, the one that cracked the Washington Monument, caused my bedroom window to vibrate strongly.
I didn't know what was going on until I went online later, and read about it.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you are OK, Robin!! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember the one 3 years ago Carol mentioned only in Maryland. I'm glad you're ok to Robin. [Smile]

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks - I'm glad I'm ok too! I actually like the idea of having lesser quakes so as to ease the earth's tensions. Everyone here was discussing it today - "where were you at 3 am?"
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Robin,

I was wondering if you were in the shake zone. Be sure to get some good adrenal support into you . . . and coconut oil is supposed to help calm a brain that is irritated.

I recall a quake here a few years ago, nothing like the one you just had but when I would get vertigo spells, it felt like an earthquake. I had been in the habit of calling friends and asking. Always "nope, just your ears again."

Well, that time, they were all calling me at 4 a.m. saying "THIS time, not your ears!"
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So glad to hear you are ok. [group hug]

My brother lived out there in 1989 when the earthquake hit.

We didn't hear from him for several hours after and were quite worried.

When he finally did call, he said he was at work and was taking a 'potty break' when it hit.

Caught him with his pants down. Literally. Ha!

Thankfully, he, his apt, and place where he worked where all ok.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Thx for checking in - Keebler, is Oregon on any direct fault lines or do they just run out in the ocean from here?

Linky, that was quite a quake he went through! I was on a train then, going in the same direction the quake was moving, so we hardly felt it. They stopped the train saying we all had to get off, as there had been a quake.

So all 300 of us or so got off and walked through a used car lot where the salesmen were having apoplexy because all of the parked cars had hit each other!!

Carol, when you said you didn't know what was going on, it's always funny to read what people say online, like they looked around to see who was shaking their car and didn't see anyone, or the dog must have jumped on the bed and where's the dog, etc.

For a little while, I was a member of Californians for Earthquake Prevention but it didn't seem to work so I quit.

lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robin -- I find it really amusing "Earthquake Prevention" really how do you prevent nature, I fell to the floor no earthquake involved, just a belly quake. [lol]

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[lol]

My cousin was on the BART once during an earthquake. I can't remember if it was the "big one" or not.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BART going under the bay always seemed like a bad idea in an earthquake prone area.

Hey Robin, explain to me why those pix of broken wine bottles in Napa seemed to have no protection at all on the shelves. Wouldn't you think they would have provided better earthquake resistant places to store glass bottles? On ships they have a rail called a fiddle on tables in dining areas to avoid having dinner slide off onto the floor when there is rough weather. At least some ships have this.

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I know. She said she came out of the BART and was told there had been an earthquake. Scared the you know what out of her.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Robin123
Member # 9197

Lymie_in_MD, there really was a Californians for Earthquake Prevention org. It was started by Charlie Varon, which google for - amazing actor, playwright and comedian. They had bumper stickers like Stop Unwanted Seismic Activity that you saw on car bumpers around town!

I personally think the group should have had animal sentinel watchers, like watching their pet cats, dogs, birds, etc and if anyone's animal started acting up, to activate the phone tree line - yes, pre-computers, to get everyone out prepared to jump up and down on the earth to keep it from moving.

Yes, it would be scary being in BART. I think engineers have thought about that and made it as safe as possible, but I have researched what all they did to do that.

Poppy, I thought the same thing - why doesn't Napa have good screen barriers for its let's say very expensive wine?

Perhaps some of us oughta call the Chamber of Commerce and get them to think about the idea! Good idea about taking a hint from ships that must roll at sea a bit.

May I say that fracking, which is going on all over, also may contribute to earthquakes, which is a good reason to protest that happening in your area.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Robin123:

... to get everyone out prepared to jump up and down on the earth to keep it from moving.

-
-
Oh yes. That would work.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Robin -- I did think it was real name. It seemed it might be better named EarthquakeWatch.org or EarthquakeSurvival.org. I don't mean to sound insensitive about an earthquake prone area, so please forgive me for my humor if it was offensive.

quote:
I personally think the group should have had animal sentinel watchers, like watching their pet cats, dogs, birds, etc and if anyone's animal started acting up, to activate the phone tree line - yes, pre-computers, to get everyone out prepared to jump up and down on the earth to keep it from moving.
You can't stop natural disasters you can only survive them. It is why I agree with the quote above; it makes far more sense. It sounds like you tried to have folks see this point of view. I can understand your frustration.

Can I ask, how they would stop unwanted seismic activity ? -- it really doesn't make sense to me. Bumper sticker should state an achievable goal, EarthQuake survival is JOB number 1

I just looked up fracking, wow! In the hands of scientists fracking may have place to settle the earth in the hands of commercial interests not so good.

--------------------
Bob

poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was meant to be a joke, lymie in md.

Those earthquake bumper stickers reminded me of one I saw that said "Reunite Gondwanaland." I always wanted one for my car but could never find the source.

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Robin does have a good sense of humor.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doxie dog used to bark right before an earthquake....

The first earthquake I remember was Northridge....last Whittier.

Best story, My MIL was staying with us and a good size one hit. She was so panicked she tried to shove my 5 year old son under the bed. He wasn't fitting and was yelling in pain.

Pulling her off of him was a job. It was also 4;30 in the morning and we were all awake- together- all day long....

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Lymie_in_MD, CFEP didn't last long because there was too often a shake-up in its membership as people couldn't agree on how to accomplish earthquake prevention - they would always find fault with each other's proposals.

Me, I thought of another way today: superglue. Put really strong superglue in all the fault lines.

Sorry, Poppy, with all that gluing going on, I wouldn't know how to return the earth to Gondwanaland. On second thought, do you really think everyone could get along on only one continent?

Funny story, Dogsandcats, trying to shove your kid under the bed!

lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Somebodies got play straight man. [Wink]

I got tell you, it sounds too much like a missing Mel Brooks movie. Crazy people trying to stop seismic activity. I think it would be in parallel with "The Producers".

Poppy -- there's number of choices for a gondwandaland or pangea bumper sticker. I put down a few.

http://www.pegasuspublishing.com/BS-405-Reunite-Gondwanaland-p-28172.html

http://www.cafepress.com/+reunite-gondwanaland+gifts

If we were a super continent again wouldn't the dinosaurs come back. Or wouldn't our orbit be shifted because all the land is now on one side ?

Robin -- I found this site for you with a couple of bumper stickers.

"Stop the Fracking" and "STOP PLATE TECTONICS"

http://www.cafepress.com/+geology+bumper-stickers?page=2

There were two bumper stickers I thought would go well together and they were advertised pretty close to side by side :

"REUNITE GONDWANDALAND" plus "SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED".

--------------------
Bob

poppy
Member # 5355

Got a laugh from that!
Robin123
Member # 9197

True - Mel Brooks would have understood...

Right - stop plate tectonics - fits right in -

Some assembly required - lol - I don't think people would want to put the pieces together!

Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry! Better late than never? Good to know you are ok Robin 4836593765!

Bob- Plans in the making for fracking in Maryland. Brown and Gansler- Governor candidates- will not come out against it, but instead take the O'Malley stance (put it off for the next Governor)- and say we need more studies.

Here is a petition to sign and a bit more info.

https://secure3.convio.net/fww/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=165

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Hi Ms TC - thx - and fracking is not a good idea - toxic and looks like it's destabilizing the land as in earthquake potential.
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

The problem with fracking for Maryland if it happens anywhere east of the Mississippi and south of Canada, e.g. if in ohio a fracking erupts to a 6.0 earthquake we'd feel it in Maryland just as bad as the folks in ohio.

We're sitting on a huge tuning fork there's nothing buffering the vibration over long distance.

We'd have to address to all the politicians east of the Mississippi and south of Canada. Talk about a whole bunch of study denial politicians to get past, wooo!

TC -- I was hoping Mel Brooks was in office (because I voted for him, thought we needed more humor in politics) guess my vote didn't count enough.

Ok, I'll do it tomorrow, I do it today but I'm too tired. While on vacation these two weeks, I've played 34 sets of tennis, worked around my house (tree pruning on 8 trees), had the honey do list as an indentured servant to my wife (she packs a mean whip!). So I have a date with the tub and something called Mrs. Epson and Mrs. Salt (enjoy making my wife jealous) before I go to work tomorrow where I can finally get some rest. Way toooooooo [sleepy]

--------------------
Bob

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement