LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Predator Doctors Take Advantage of Lyme Patients

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Predator Doctors Take Advantage of Lyme Patients
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its a creepy article about lyme

No wonder we cant get the truth out there

[ 09-20-2014, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read the whole thing and it creeps me out

One of the best lines:

The priblem is we now know a lot abiut lyme...how to diagnose it and how to treat it but the lyme activists dont understnd this

I just paraphrased-dont yell at me-same meaning

How will we ever be understood or respected with this trash out there

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/09/19/predator-doctors-take-advantage-of-patients-with-chronic-lyme-scam.html

Daily Beast article 9-19-14

Be sure to scroll down past a lot of comments to one that posts detail about persistence. FLA posted it, I think. Most who post replies are on the author's team, it seems. But there is some truth peppered in, too. So, hopefully, it will give some folks food for thought, maybe?

It's very sad to read such a thing. Just makes me want to crawl deeper and deeper into the shame of such debility. As they apparently wish.

Yet, from the journalist view, that author is just so wrong. So many errors, lack of full research. Loud lies.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Daily_Beast

Wiki page about - The Daily Beast
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Russell Saunders is the pseudonym for a pediatrician in New England. He is also a contributor at Ordinary Times, where he writes about medicine, gay rights issues and popular culture."

I've seen other garbage he has written.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't read anymore of these slanderous articles. A doctor with a mind this closed is a danger to society.
Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0ZRGiMGp4w

Rep. Chris Smith, from C-Span

Six minute speech before the House Bill passed re: tick borne disease.

this will help make you feel sane and hopeful again.
-

Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blast this ignorant fool with comments. It's up to us, the Lyme community, to speak out:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/09/19/predator-doctors-take-advantage-of-patients-with-chronic-lyme-scam.html

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Thx for the posituve thoughts keeb

Poppy i think thiskind of stuff is going to other regulr docs...and that is why they are so afraid of treating us

--------------------

lpkayak
Member # 5230

I wish this was in medical...i guess cuz im struggling with a primary who just turned on me and i think things like this are the reason

But maybe it belongs here

Im too foggy to be a moderator

--------------------

Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we want to make an impact it should be in medical where it will be seen and people should be commenting.

There are 89 comments, the next article below it has over 1,000 comments. The truth is Lymenet is not that active anymore. Many people have moved on to other sites. There was barely any attention paid to the protest on lymenet.

A few posts were placed but barely any feedback or comments from the membership.

I went to the protest and didn't meet one person who participates on lymenet.

The Daily Beast is a popular site and any site with an article such as that one should be bombarded with comments from the Lyme community.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Lymies aren't on Lymenet, where are they?
Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Many are on facebook and other lyme forums and Yahoo groups.
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is another thread in Medical which directs people to this thread.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Sorry that article is important enough that it belongs in Medical. Doesn't matter really, participation on Lymenet is at an all time low. There's barely any discussion taking place, was barely any discussion about the vigil taking place either.
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a better article and it refutes Dr. Saul's contention of testing accuracy to a point. In other words there is a better test its not in the CDC interest to use it.

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2014/01/cdc-trying-block-accurate-lyme-disease-test.html

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Did you post in the Daily Beast comments section to that article that voiced utter ignorance? I hope so.
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Bob-ty for posting. So easy for anyone to understand. I hope you can post it where abxnomore says it will do a lot of good

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Medical is for medical questions. People need to get in the very good habit of checking EACH FORUM every day. How hard is it, really?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Abxnomore -- thanks for prod, I guess I needed it. my comment can be seen now. [Smile]

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

[Smile]

Good job!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Abxnomore
Member # 18936

You're welcome. If important issues weren't hidden away people wouldn't need to be prodded, one would hope.

Everyone can and should place a comment regarding this article here:

lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

just remember it isn't www.thedailyleast.BS all though it does appear the article could lead you in that direction. [lol]

--------------------
Bob

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Bob..i dont understand. Can you explain. Maybe in pm if its too political for here

--------------------

lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Kayak like ABXnomore I wrote another comment. You guys tough on prodding me to do the right thing. [kiss]

I was making fun of an insensitive paper who allowed a journalist to write a piece from one doctor's point of view only along with IDSA and CDC. Did this journalist ask questions from ILADs. At least the Washington Post did that.

This is journalism at it worst. The paper calls itself the daily beast. From a journalism point of view it is the daily least. In other words don't waste your time reading them. Secondly the article was BS.

Don't you hate it when you buy something and discover it is junk. No different from this news paper of junk journalism.

Look at all the sources used by this journalist.

--------------------
Bob

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Ok but dont get too political here...the thread will disappear!

Its good the thread is here to spread the word. Hopefully others arent as foggy as me and understand it better

--------------------

Abxnomore
Member # 18936

You need not worry about that while the link is hidden in general. Very few have commented, and there are multiple posts by the same parties. Basically few have paid attention to it.

This article and the link to respond will very soon be forgotten here on Lymenet.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by lpkayak:

Ok but dont get too political here...the thread will disappear!

-
Nothing political about what he said.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

borreliosis
Member # 44573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for borreliosis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suspect there are MANY and maybe most Lyme sufferes that are NOT diagnosed by ID doctors. So that leaves many many people to sort it out with LLMDs which fall into the caring and trying their hardest to do their best given the failures on the CDC/NIH/IDSA/NIH side.

But ill pople are suseptible to the small number of problem doctors who might take advantage of people. So patients are stuck trying to sort out who they can trust. It really sucks as its one of the worst problems.

One scary example is how do you use problems in the history to predict the future. One doctor was investigated at UCSF and the NIH for hiding data not supporting a study that suggested things about gay patients that were not right if all the data was provided. This is bad and what many IDSA doctors do. So their are less than honest doctors on both sides.

You can read about an aggregious example here and judge for yourself one case.

http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/not93-177.html

It says:

An investigation conducted by the University found that a current LLMD falsified data for a manuscript and a PHS-supported publication reporting research on AIDS. In the manuscript, the current LLMD selectively suppressed data that did not support his hypothesis, and reported consistently positive data whereas only one of four experiments had produced positive results. In the publication, this current LLMD reported that an antibody was found in 29 of 30 homosexuals, but not found in non-homosexuals. However, this current LLMD control data, which he suppressed, showed the antibody in 33 of 65 non-homosexuals. The falsified data was used as the basis for a grant application to the National Institutes of Health. The ORI concurred in the University"s finding.

For any gay person with Lyme, this should really be scary. I guess we are all forced to decide on our own who to trust. It really sucks....

Posts: 1 | From San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Don't forget to place your comments on this article. That's more important than discussing here. Most of us here know the score:

KarlaL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KarlaL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Begin forwarded message:

Date: September 24, 2014 11:48:05 AM EDT
To: Jessica Bernstein <[email protected]>
Subject: NYT Protest Cover Article

Front cover article in Truthout about the NYT Lyme protest. If we want Truthout to keep giving us such great coverage, we'v got to show them that there are lots of people who are liking and sharing these articles on Facebook (go to the top of the article and "like" "share" and "tweet" it). Let's override The Daily Beast smear campaign about chronic Lyme and the protest by creating our press with this article. PLEASE like and share this on FACEBOOK, post about it on blogs, and share this email.

Remember not to post the article on your blog (just the link) because we want people going to the Truthout page to like and share it.

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/26397-new-yorkers-call-lyme-disease-the-new-plague

Thanks,

Jessica Bernstein, Psy.D.

--------------------
KarlaL

Posts: 694 | From New Lebanon, NY | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement