LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » air purifiers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: air purifiers
linky123
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My house is about 10 years old and is beginning to smell stale.

I clean all the time, open the windows etc. but this only helps for a while then the stale smell comes back.

I would like to try an air purifier, but there are so many out there it's hard to know what to get.

It's not mold, we've tested.

Any suggestions?

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone suggested RabbitAir to me, but I've only recently begun my search for a good air cleaner.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pick one with an ion generator.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have Austin Air. It is a brand Dr. K. recommends, as well as some others.
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, tutu and Bob.

Michael, I'm assuming you like it?

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Austin Air is excellent. You don't need to change the filter often, either like many other brands. Only about every two or three years depending if you live in a dirty city or not. It works well and it's low maintenance. I've had mine since 2000.
Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Abxnomore, did you have an odor problem, and if so, did it help?

--------------------

lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may need a dehumidifier as well if it is a damp smell.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by linky123:
Thanks, tutu and Bob.

Michael, I'm assuming you like it?

Yes, I'm happy with it. It is a little loud, but not way loud. We do have tiles for all flooring, so that contributes to the noise flowing. That does encourage us to move it from room to room occasionally so it can't be heard. It has wheels to roll it around. We've just had it a year at this point.
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No I did not have an odor problem but Austin air makes one for those kinds of issues.
Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering about the noise. Rabbit Air says theirs is really quiet. That would be important to my husband.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Thanks Abx, Michael, and lymie,

We do have a dehumidifier which we run from time to time anyway. It's very humid where we live.

We have mostly carpet in our house which is part of the problem. They need cleaning, but I am afraid to because I don't tolerate chemicals well.

Had to go to a hotel for several days last time we cleaned them.

Even the 'steam only' cleaners seem to have an odor.

tutu, keep me posted on what you decide to get.

--------------------

lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

you might want to just tear up the carpet. It could be a source of mold. it doesn't matter what it looks like underneath -- its not worth it.

--------------------
Bob

linky123
Member # 19974

Hardwood floors or the laminate that looks like hardwood might be better.

Not sure if they cost more than carpet, haven't ever priced them.

--------------------

lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

the best might be tile, then laminate. It should be water resistant.

--------------------
Bob

Abxnomore
Member # 18936

I totally agree. If it's economically feasible for you get rid of the carpet. Carpet is bad news for anyone. Tile is really the best with hardwood after that.

Hardwood floors, if they get wet, are still susceptible to mold and rot, and those laminates are as well plus they are placed on some type of padding.

If tile gets a mold issue it's much easier to get rid of it. You can easily bleach it, tho mold is rarely a problem with it.

Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"They need cleaning, but I am afraid to because I don't tolerate chemicals well."

I tolerate Folex as a cleaner. No odor.

The trick is finding a cleaning service that doesn't use fragrance or chemicals so their machine aren't contaminated or buy your own machine.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could be that the house is too tight, which is a common problem with new construction. If it's economically feasible, consider adding an ERV along with a whole house dehumidifier.

Also, do you have a basement or a crawlspace? Lots of issues can come from either one.

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

All wall to wall carpeting harbor mold, dust mites and things you don't want in you home, especially between the carpet and the padding. Best case is to get rid of them, plus most of them are made of synthetic materials that contain terrible chemicals.
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whats ERV?

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just redid 1000 sf of floors cuz carpet and subfloor got moldy from ten yo leak. Its only one of many things the sellers did and covered up

I am on slab so after removing all carpet, pad and sub floor i cleaned and sealed the slab

Then i put down a product called dri-core. You can google it or see it on home depot site. It is really good for slab or celler or damp place cuz it has built in ventilation

I agree with abive about not making a house too tight or using carpet

I couldnt afford hard wood and laminent is not good near dampness (or pet accidents)

Tile would be too hard on my artritis but it is the most mold resistant of traditional floors i think. It might work with washable scatter rugs

I found a new vinyl product that is working well for me over dricore

Half the house is done with it and i never smelled or reacted to it and i am mcs. It has tabs that glue to themselves...sort of likeenvelopes. No glue on subfloor and no smell or rewaction

It is completely water proof...i know ppl who say they just mopped it up after flood and it is fine.

It is allure and sold at home depot. Really easy to put down. You just need a knife. No dust like from.laminent or hard wood

I would never choose vinyl until i looked at most mold resistant choices and this is what i found

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

The vinyl floor sounds great, kayak!

I agree that the carpet is really bad. Wish our condo did not have carpet. Part of it is in tile.

linky.. I bet the smell is really coming from the carpet. When we moved out of our last apartment, I could tell that the carpet smelled. Didn't really notice it until we were totally out.

The carpet was stained when we moved in and we had it cleaned once. It wasn't worth cleaning and we had no pets .. sooo....

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

LabRat
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LabRat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have problems with odor or chemicals, you will want a small ozone generator. Don't be concerned with fancy filters and uv lights. No need to bother with the carpet as the ozone will work on chemicals and other odors such as from pets. Place the generator as far away from the return air of your a/c as you can so it can mix and work on the air for the greatest amount of time before it travels through the a/c which greatly reduces the life of the ozone which has a very short life span anyway, mere minutes.

Ozone has a bad rap, sure, you can hurt yourself if you try, as in get the most powerful machine you can find, crank it up full power and then set in front of it. Not a good idea. A little ozone over a longer period of time is the way to go or a high power setting if the house is to be empty for awhile. With infants, error on the side of caution.

I was selling a brand called Alpine back in 1990 and it was a pretty good one. I have some that I still have in service and I wouldn't be without one.

So, you have one more thought to think about.

Posts: 1887 | From Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Thanks everyone. Will probably get rid of the carpet.

Hardwood and tile are hard on my feet, but maybe some area rugs would help in areas where I stand a lot, the kitchen etc

Now to find something affordable...

[ 09-24-2014, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: linky123 ]

--------------------

MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

quote:
Originally posted by linky123:
Thanks everyone. Will probably get rid of the carpet.

Hard wood and tile are hard on my feet, but maybe some area rugs would help in areas where I stand a lot, the kitchen etc

Now to find something affordable...

The thing about area rugs is that you can at least clean them as needed. When we went to all tile, we thought we could always do the area rugs as needed. As of yet, we haven't needed them. Everyone is different though, and you may. We always thought we could get some we could put in a washing machine, so we could provide any needed mold treatment with what we put in the washing machine.

It was amazing how digusting our carpeting was, which was difficult to realize until it was pulled up. There was much in the carpet it self, as well as probably a couple/few gallons of sand/dirt under the carpet in our living/dining room area alone. The sand/dirt was probably the safest of the stuff in and under the carpet, but underlies the realization of how much stuff got in there that never came out.

lpkayak
Member # 5230

I forgot about my propolene braided rug. My vinyl is plank and looks like hardwood and with large braided rug on it many dont know it isnt wood until they really look-even fooled the roofer

The propolene also didnt have smells and is moldproof i think...

You wash it outside with a hose and dawn...or the , little ones in the bathtub-just point and spray

--------------------

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Im glad to hear what labrat is saying about small ozone units. The ones i found didnt work so i bought a construction grade one and i have used it alit at different stages of de-molding this place

There are big warnings about it killing people, plants and pets so im careful about using it and the few times friends wantd to use it i "chaperoned"

It is probably my most important tool to make this house healthy

But once im living in a normal clean.environment i would love to have a smaller safer unit so i dont have to leave and move all the plants outside when i do it

The only thing the big ozone machine failed at was getting cat urine smell out of closet...i tried and tried and also used every product i could on the cement slab

Ive given up and have a guy coming to redo sheetrock and even framing if necessary. I know i may have to cover cement with special paint-forget the name-its toxic until it dries so i will have to leave for awhile

Good luck with reno. If you find mold you can search on here for sites that help you. I have learned to not trust so called mold experts...and put my money toward reno not testing. If you smell it it is there

Kinda like lyme. Put money toward tx not test

--------------------

LabRat
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LabRat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was really trying to sound more cautious than I really am. I have approximately 10-12 units, only 2 or 3 are small, most of the others are used for hotel, motel and autos, sort of nitch market, which was where the money was. Smaller "home" units were weaker and prettier but would do the same job as the brutes, just take longer and you don't have to worry much about over exposure.

Ozone oxidizes organic compounds and breaks them down to carbon, carbon dioxide and water vapor as its final compounds. A problem could possible be that as it breaks down one compound, it manufactures something else on it's way down. Ozone is used a lot in the manufacturing process. Ozone + seawater= bleach and a lot of drugs are produced with ozone.

Ozone has been and still is involved in medicine. I have stock in a company called Medizone international (MZEI). They are using ozone to disinfect hospitals.

It will eliminate the cat pee, trust me on this!

Posts: 1887 | From Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by lpkayak:

Good luck with reno. If you find mold you can search on here for sites that help you. I have learned to not trust so called mold experts...and put my money toward reno not testing. If you smell it it is there

-
Kayak.. which word is "reno" supposed to be? Danged auto-correct sure makes it hard to understand stuff.

LabRat... Does ozone really affect plants?

I have a small ozone machine. Says it can be run for up to 15 min with people in the room. Is that safe?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

linky123
Member # 19974

We have some area rugs in the kitchen and hallway where there is tile.

We take them out from time to time and just use the power washer on them, no soap, and then let them dry in the sun.

It does a pretty good job and at least gets the smell out of them.

And I bet there's some pretty funky stuff in our ten-year-old carpets. [Razz]

--------------------

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Cant blame auto spell. Reno is renovation...mold. renovation

My macine wasnt the biggest but i paid aroind $500. For it and it makes 14,000 mg (actual) per hour-at least thats what the book says

I have never done my whole house(1000 sf) longer than an hour or a small space like one room or car more than 20-30 min

I did the cat pee closet an hour tho and it came back eventually

I have heard you can hurt wires in fridge and computer etc if you
leave it on more than six hr. I dont know if that is true.

Im just cautious

Now i was told the little ones wont get the job done...but i think
the ppl selling the big one to me wanted to make a sale

Maybe a really bad mold problem cant be fixed with one but can be kept under control once clean up is done

Labrat...does the ozone actually kill the mold or just make it dormant. I think to kill it you have to make it explode or get torn apart like dry ice does

Also...i would really like to have a smaller, friendlier machine without ions or filters

Labrat-could you tell me where to get that? Pm if necessary

Thanks

Tutu...in big letters on my machine it says never use with people, plants or pets present

[ 09-24-2014, 06:51 PM: Message edited by: lpkayak ]

--------------------

lpkayak
Member # 5230

I also am confused about ozone as a tx for lyme...id like to know if my machine could help me tx myself...but until i understand it better im.just gonna follow directions: no people, plants or pets

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

OH, I didn't think of renovation! HA! I didn't consider changing from carpet to hard floors as being a renovation, I guess.

That's amazing that yours says that about plants. I guess they don't want anyone suing them.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

LabRat
Member # 78

First off, let's talk about size and power. I'm sort of guessing here but I believe it's an educated guess and my guess is that one company makes most of the machines, theirs and everyone else's, slap a different color and different stickers on the outside and inside everything is same-o same-o. Most use ceramic plates with a stainless steel wire grid, (think tinny chain-link fence) glued to the plate. High voltage contacts touch either side of the plate and this is where the ozone is generated. Remove the lint filter and look in the back. You should see rows of plates, anywhere from one to six plates.

One and two plate machines, think of a bicycle with training wheels. you maybe could hurt yourself if you really worked at it and willing to endure unpleasant raw sinus and runny nose and a scratchy throat. A sensible person need not fear using ozone. The one and two plate machine were to be used in doors and run all the time on a low setting. It will have a power adjustment because as the plate gets dirty it produces less ozone thus you can crank it up a bit, then at some point you have to clean the plate, soap water nail brush, rinse and blow dry with hair drier and jew gots a new majhine!

Once clean, the objective is to have the same amount of ozone inside the home as outside on a pretty day. Adjusting the ozone on a clean machine to where the discharge is starting to smell like the downdraft from a thunderstorm just before the rain comes, back off till you have just a hint of storm and just leave it there. Most folks love it there, but there are a few people that can't stand the smell of ozone. I am guessing one in fifty will have a problem.

Ok, now the questions. Rubber bands in time will lose their stretch, that's the only thing that comes to mind. Some doctors offices run them through the night and some run them during the day also. We use to get leads from doctors when people would ask how they keep their office so fresh!

Will ozone kill mold? Well I thought it would. I had some growing out of a/c duct and set a unit (3 plate) on a step ladder a left it in front of the duct, can't remember how long, anyway it changed the color of the mold and about a week later I took a broom and knocked it off and you know what, I don't think it ever came back! So experience tells me you can kill it but the young salesman I was talking to said he couldn't say that it would kill mold

LymeToo- can you adjust the power of your machine as I described above? The idea is to have the same amount of ozone inside as outside, if you can adjust it, stands to reason that setting would be ok for plants. If you crank it up though, it's a new ball game!

Lpkayak I've got some new units (1990 or so still sealed up in the box) Maybe we could work up something. I can't eat em and I could use the space and my running machines show no sign of breaking. I might could send you one to try and if you don't like it just send it back, course if you like it, you'll pay through the nose! Kidding, kidding! Let me know if you have an interest and I'll see what I have stacked around.

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Well ms tutu...it wasnt just carpet i took out. It was sopping wet, moldy carpet and pad and sopping partical board sub floor that we had to basically shovel out

And we cut bottom twelve inches of sheetrock off to check framing and sill and at one point we took off 8 x8 piece of wall and a big chunk of roof and put it all back with two coats paint and new floor

I think it was a reno...i thoght i sent you a pick when wall was open

Tutu...its not really amazing about the plants. Im pretty sure your machine and mine are very different. The ones i saw for in home use made 5-6 mg ozone compared to 14,000. Sort of apples and oranges

Labrat, i'll pm you

--------------------

lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

lp -- your going to have to treat yourself for mold. I'm sure it is an issue for you. A doctor I worked with used soil based organism as a probiotic to devour the mold in the body. Something to look into with your llmd.

Hope you get it fixed soon.

--------------------
Bob

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Kayak.. not to pick.. but you told linky good luck on the reno.. I meant that I didn't think SHE was doing a renovation. Certainly nothing like at your house! [Big Grin]

LabRat... my ozone machine is very small. It's about 16X14X4 .. something like that. We paid about $400 for it six years ago. I'm sure machines like this one are cheaper now. (??)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

LabRat
Member # 78

Did you remove the lint filter and count the plates and do you have an adjustment on the front of the machine and the brand? Oh yes, our money is more valuable now than six years ago!
Lymetoo
Member # 743

It has a tiny foam thing to "filter"... I need a new one and have no clue how to get one. I think it's pretty worthless anyway.

No adjusting.

Here is what I have:

http://www.buyprozone.com/twisterinfo.htm

See the little square thing? That's the "filter." (HA)

$200

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

LabRat
Member # 78

I see, a tube type generator, I have large one of this type to purify water. The one I have has been very reliable. There isn't that much that can go wrong with these little machines. I have a negative ion generator beside my bed and it has ran every night since 1990 and unbelievable, it's still going!
Lymetoo
Member # 743

One time it began making noises. Sounded horrible. Tried giving it a rest, etc.

We finally had to unplug it and move it out to the garage. About 2 yrs later we dragged it back out and it was fine!

oh... and my helper knocked it over once and it began making that noise again. Turned it off for a few days and it was fine.

[confused]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Bob...do you mean DE? Ive had it sitting on my counter for a year-im afraid of it

Diflucan usually makes me feel better and nystatin

And theralac

I also am trying to get organized enough to be on questran

When i read dr s' protocols it scared me cuz im hypoglycemic

Tutu...sorry. my bad.

Im real concerned about mold expsure...im very sensitive...smell it everywhere when no one else does

But i have limited resourses so decided i had to remove it all and fix problem and change environment...then after that is done fix me

Im not positive i'll survive it all. Ive beengoing down for awhile. I think , i am very close to done...

--------------------

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Close to done on the house that is

--------------------

Samlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Samlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go to the site allergy buyers club. I have an Austin and an IQ. I like having both. The Austin sits in my bedroom while I sleep and on the low setting is the perfect white noise. The air particles are drawn in to the square body by a fan that sits on top. It has no plastic and solidly built in the us. The IQ I like because I can program it to turn on and off at different times and at different settings. It also has significantly reduced dust in my living room. It has an internal fan that pulls the air up from the bottom and filters it and then shoots the air out the sides at the top. There's usually a pile of dust bunnies underneath it so you can tell it is gathering dust.
Posts: 154 | From Boston | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

What's an IQ??

kayak... I think Bob means things like Primal Defense or Prescript Assist.

DE will definitely kill parasites. You have to get food grade and go extremely slowly on that one!

Glad to hear that your house is almost done!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

LP -- there's primal defense is one

http://www.naturalhealthyconcepts.com/primal-defense-GL90-p-garden-of-life.html?gclid=CIPq1N3o_cACFSkA7AodMyUACA

elixa sells one

http://www.elixa.com/nutrient/colonizer.htm

The one I used based on the doctors recommendation is pretty cheap (you'd have to do some research and feel comfortable about it -- and let your doctor talk you out of it, but I liked it):

http://www.amazon.com/EM-1-Microbial-Inoculant-Fermented-Conditioning/dp/B000BY8L92/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411698041&sr=8-1&keywords=em1+microbial+inoculant

--------------------
Bob

lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

22 is right, soil based organism are on the lettuce you buy. there used to be so much of it in our diet.

--------------------
Bob

Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ionizers as air filters don't work as effectively as HEPA filters. AllergyBuyersClub.com has great reviews of many different types of air purifiers and air filters. I am not affiliated in any way with AllergyBuyersClub.com, just am a satisfied customer.

Essential Oils can also address mold concerns effectively.

One person I know had mold in his basement. He had the air tested before and after diffusing Thieves in the room. After diffusing, there was 0 measured mold (tons of mold measured before diffusing).

Personal experience with mold in my own house also has been good with Thieves killing mold. It kills a lot of other odors as well.

Our house is tiny, so even a small amount of an odor can make it really hard for me to be in the house with my MCS. But having the oils to diffuse makes a huge difference for me.

I diffuse Thieves in the kitchen when my husband cooks his food, to prevent me from getting a sulfite reaction to the food particles that get into the air while cooking...the Thieves works great.

I diffuse Thieves in the entryway when hubby mows the lawn, that way, when he comes in, the smell of the exhaust from the mower and the pollen and cut grass doesn't get all over the house.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Ty for all this

I have been using thieves and love it

The stuff you ingest for mold...does it kill mold, help it get out of body...how dors it work?

I have a large good quality hepa filter that i run when doing ozon. I was told ozone either makes mold spores dormant or kills rhem...i forget and then hepa filter catches them. I as lso run dehumidifyers and ac when ozoning to "clean" inside machines

The filter on hepa is too hard for me to change alone...it isnt changed often but i like to be more independent

That is why i am intetested in filterless and ionic machines

--------------------

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Im looking at small airfree onix for bedroom-at alergy buyers

What do you think

Supposed to use heat to incinerate everything

No filer...so where does incinerated. Stuff go?

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Kayak.. I THINK the soil based stuff just helps your body handle the mold. Not sure.

I'll look at those items later.

I love Thieves too. Wish my husband did!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

MADDOG
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lab Rat
I have a bad neighbor that burnes crap blowing on my house getting inside eventually.

Would this kill the smoke leaking into my house????

MADDOG

Posts: 3996 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LabRat
Member # 78

Hi doggy, don't know, It would just depend an the volume I would think. I kind of doubt it, the amount of ozone it would take would probably bother you just as much as the smoke. After the fire is out, it would help get you back to normal. They use large generators to work on smoke damaged homes. That's about all I know about that.

Have you been getting better?

MADDOG
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Labrat
No, I have been real bad all summer. The down turn came when the neighbor somked me out of my home and i yelled at him real bad. i called him things like redneck,inbred hillbilly,and briar hopper.

After that i have never been ok,my nerves are shot!!!

I am worse than ever before.

I live in fear of him lighting the fire ring up ,and watch it every day as he adds crap to it.

I leave when he does and stay at my brothers place.

MADDOG

Posts: 3996 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Does he add plastic and stuff? There are laws now. I was downwind of a neighbor who did that but i just closed up tight when he did it. Didnt confront him or turn him in

It was crazy. He used o2. Both him and his wife dying of lung disease and he kept doing that

His house was very high so the fumes just settled down on all of us lower than him

You could talk to fire chief. Tell him it really hurts your health. Would he know it was you who complained?

--------------------

LabRat
Member # 78

Doggy Try serving icecream, think it would work better than inbred hillbilly, you could hold that in reserve though!
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Take them some brownies.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

linky123
Member # 19974

To those who have installed hardwood flooring: can you smell the adhesive, glue, whatever you use to attach it to the floor?

Also, what about the finish, varnish whatever on the hardwood? Does it smell much?

Has anyone ever made an area rug out of carpet tiles?

I just read about this, and apparently, it's much cheaper alternative to buying a regular area rug.

Didn't read all of the above comments on ozone, in case this wasn't mentioned,

ozone works great for some, but there are others who are very sensitive to it.

It can be hard on the respiratory system.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Laminate floors don't have to have glue:

http://www.armstrong.com/flooring/glueless-laminate-flooring.html

I made an area rug out of carpet tiles when I was teaching. I think I used duct tape on the back??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Hiker ive been studying this for a few years now. It took awhile to realize you can off gass it outside before you put it down

And the same product would sometimes make me react if it had only been in the warehouse for a Short time but then not make me react if it had been there a long time

One product i found that never smelled is allure vinyl plank. You can google it or check home depot site

It is boxed so i dont think.it would have a chance to off gas. It is advertised as being very low voc

The worst so far has been carpet that was supposed to be low voc

If a worker tells you it is low voc i think you should make sure you check with company that makes it and see for yourself how it is rated...

Tutu is right about laminent not. Needing glue. Both allure vinal plank and laminent can come "floating"-without glue or with glue

The glue is pretty bad. Carpet comes with tack strips-no glue...or with glue

Where are you planning to put new floor?

Also it is important to know that laminent has glue in it...and has to be sawed so it is dusty and glue can get in air

The vinyl i used you cut with a knife...really easy and clean and it has some low voc glue on tabs that didnt bother me

The stores usually have an open box for samples -you could bring a few home and sit near them to see if they make you sick

I can send you pic if you pm me cell number

--------------------

Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought a Therapure a few years ago. I vacuum the filter once a month. There are all sorts of things on it- ion and
uv/voc, but have no idea what they do.

Guess I could find the instructions. It is a great purifier and has awesome white noise the hubby likes cause his ear drums were blown up in Vietnam.

Any suggestions- is this a good one?

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I borrowed an Air Oasis to eliminate smells in the room and I'm very happy with it.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement