LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Anyone see the whole article?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone see the whole article?
Ann-OH
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't get the entire article - so have no idea what kind of tick-borne disease this professional football player has.
Can anyone get the whole article? Please…

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/tick-bite-sent-rams-wells-to-intensive-care/article_c9f348c7-8803-50af-a20c-e63a2288d92a.html

Ann-OH

[ 10-02-2014, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Ann-OH ]

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNT
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 42349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At first, it blotted out the article after several lines for me, too. I clicked on the "gaming equipment" survey question, and, viola, I got the whole article.
Posts: 1308 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNT
Member # 42349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like he got a tick bite and Ehrlichia. A very textbook case... with textbook symptoms. He was fortunate.

It doesn't mention that he saw the tick. It only eludes to it.

Posts: 1308 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TNT gets the prize! Ehrlichia. Says he's fine now. Ohhh. Bet they never tested him for coinfections.

A week later, he's back on the field? Double ooooh. As if it's all over. Wish him luck. Maybe that intense treatment will be his ticket but there is so much that seems to be ignored here. Maybe we just aren't told that his treatment will continue, I hope that's the case, anyway.

I see that this goes back to JUNE but it sounds like it was just last week he was in ICU. With it starting months ago, I do hope his treatment will be open ended.

Found this with a Google Advanced cross search (better results than the basic search mode) of his name and "lyme":

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/30/tick-bite-sent-rams-center-scott-wells-to-icu/

Tick bite sent Rams center Scott Wells to ICU

Pro Football Talk NBC Sports - Posted by Darin Gantt on September 30, 2014

Excerpts:

. . . A tick bite led to a bacterial infection which landed Wells in the intensive care unit. Called ehrlichia, it’s similar to Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and can be fatal.

He thought he was suffering from the flu during June practices, but quickly realized it had gone beyond that when his urine was dark brown.

“Wednesday night I was put in ICU,” Wells said, via Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

"From the way (doctors) explained it to me, it attacks your bone marrow and starts to shut down your immune system so you can’t fight it off. Then your organs start to shut down trying to fight it off.

“So it went from what seemed to be just a cold virus, flu-like symptoms, to really sick really fast.”

Wells said his body temperature reached 104.5 degrees, and he lost 20 pounds during the four days he was in the hospital.

“It took some time to gain the weight back,” Wells said. “I was in great shape when I got sick, and the doctor said that’s what helped me get through it. But I’m healthy now. I’m fine now. There’s no residual long-term effects from it. Everything is normal.”

He’s back in the lineup and normal now, but will never look at a bug bite or flu symptoms the same way again. . . .

[-full article at link above.]
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
droid1226
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Center Scott Wells didn’t finish the final week of Rams practices in June, then missed a good portion of training camp. It was thought that he had some kind of virus, and lost some weight.
Turns out it was much worse than that, and could have been fatal had it not been treated in time.

“I had a bacterial infection from a tick bite,” Wells told the Post-Dispatch. “It’s called ehrlichia. It’s similar to Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. I was in intensive care for four days that last week’’ of offseason practices.

Wells said it started with flu symptoms, then the illness escalated quickly.

“At first, it seemed like a head cold,” Wells said. “Congestion. I had an ear that was stopped up, but it wasn’t infected. I would have night sweats, chills, body aches — all the same things consistent with the flu. But it wasn’t flu season.”

He was being treated for the symptoms, basically as if it were some sort of virus or flu. But when Wells’ urine was brown — dark brown — he knew something was wrong.

He was admitted to a hospital for tests on the Wednesday afternoon of the last week of practices in June.

“Wednesday night I was put in ICU,” Wells said. “From the way (doctors) explained it to me, it attacks your bone marrow and starts to shut down your immune system so you can’t fight it off. Then your organs start to shut down trying to fight it off.

“So it went from what seemed to be just a cold virus, flu-like symptoms, to really sick really fast.”

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the fatality rate for ehrlichia is 1.8 percent — or nearly one in 50.

Even before the blood test results came back, he was given antibiotics to treat ehrlichia. On the second day of receiving antibiotics, Wells said his temperature reached 104.5 degrees

“Then it came down pretty fast,” he said. “I was on antibiotics for another 10 days. The antibiotics made everything taste funny. So I didn’t have an appetite, lost a whole bunch of weight in the hospital.”

Wells dropped 20 pounds during the four days he was in the hospital.

People often think of tick bites occurring in the outdoors.

Not necessarily so.

“We spray our yard, and our pets weren’t at home,” Wells said. “They were back in Tennessee (which is where Wells is from). I mean, you can get a tick anywhere. You can get a tick in a grocery store. And the one that causes this is a small tick. They said it’s like a freckle when they bite you. Half the people that get it don’t even recognize it. They never find it.”

Once training camp started, the Rams took a cautious approach to working Wells back into the practice routine and into preseason action because he had lost all that weight just a month before the start of camp.

“It took some time to gain the weight back,” Wells said. “I was in great shape when I got sick, and the doctor said that’s what helped me get through it. But I’m healthy now. I’m fine now. There’s no residual long-term effects from it. Everything is normal.”

Because of the severity and the unusual nature of the illness, Rams coach Jeff Fisher didn’t want to reveal the information, basically leaving that up to Wells.

Now that he has been back in the lineup for the first three games of the regular season, Wells had no problem speaking of his ordeal.

“To me it’s important to educate the public on this, because everybody knows (tick bites) exist,” Wells said. “But until you’re hit with it, you don’t really understand how significant it is.

“It changed my whole perspective. If any of my kids, anybody I know, gets flu symptoms and it’s not flu season, check it out. Because you’d rather know early than late.”

For Wells, it was another setback — a potentially life-threatening setback — since signing a free-agent contract with the team before the 2012 season.

Wells, who had been durable during his time in Green Bay, suffered a fractured fibula last Dec. 1, missing the final four games of the season.

In 2012, a broken foot in the season opener sidelined Wells for nine games.

This summer’s tick-borne illness resulted in Wells sitting out the exhibition opener, although he did play in Game 2 (against Green Bay) and Game 3 (Cleveland) of the preseason.

But combine that with left guard Rodger Saffold’s shoulder injury, and left tackle Jake Long’s rehab from knee surgery, and the Rams’ starting offensive line was rarely on the field together during training camp and the preseason.

Judging by its performance Sept. 21 against Dallas, the Rams’ last game before the bye week, the line could be gelling.

The Cowboys had zero sacks in 42 passing attempts, and the Rams averaged more than four yards a carry on the ground.

“I see progress,” Wells said. “It’s good to see improvement, but the category we need to improve upon the most — it’s the win column.”

The Rams are 1-2.

One of the only offensive line glitches of the day against Dallas was Wells’ botched snap near the end of the first half, which was recovered by the Cowboys and set up a field goal just before intermission.

“I didn’t think (quarterback Austin Davis) was underneath,” Wells explained. “I was trying to hold onto the ball and it slipped out of my hands. We’ve turned the page. We’ve moved on. That’s gone — over with.”

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-OH
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! You people are really great!
Thanks so much!
Ann - OH

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right on Droid (I couldn't view it either). It makes me wonder about anyone who is doing poorly in the NFL.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ann
It was a thing were you had to click ,i don't have a cell phone to shut them up and get the rest of the article.

MADDOG

Posts: 3996 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement