LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » pushing yourself

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pushing yourself
LisaK
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am really stuck lately

now that I got some IQ points back my mind is full of thoughts now, but my body is having a bad time.

I really wanna get stuff done because there is so much to do and opportunities, etc. but my body is making it so hard.

such a struggle I feel like crying. I wanna push myself and tell the aches an d pains and etc to shut up and go away but it won't

If I lay down I know a whole day will go wasted again.

I expect so much from myself.

do other people push? is it good to push sometimes?

I mean , if I didn't push at all I wouldn't even be getting better at all since it took great pushing jsut to find a dr and a tx that works for me, right? and

a push to come here on lymenet and read is a push, right?

what is bad push vs. good push?

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I struggle with this. So does a friend with lyme. So many ideas. But no energy to do them

Do you take coq10. That and lipoic acid give me immediste energy...well within a few hrs...when i stop it i get worse

I can get by with only 100 mg morning and nite if it is a good quality one

If i buy pour quality locally i have to take much more

And it is expensive...but it makes sense cuz it works down deep on mitochondria where energy comes from

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That said...i do believe in letting body rest when it needs to rest

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am better. Still have bad days.

We get enough guilt from society etc, I try not to guilt myself for not accomplishing much on my bad days.

I have a list of "enjoyable" to dos.

Last month, I refupholstered my dining chairs.

It has been on my to-do list for a year or more.

Now when I look at the chairs I feel proud.
Because they are done. Look great. But also because I waited until it was right for my body to do. It marks a milestone.

I can still do things. I just do them on my own schedule now.

Do you have any enjoyable things on your to-do list Lisa? Like making crafts etc? If you enjoy it, celebrate each one you make [Smile]

You will probably be surprised at all the stuff you are doing, but aren't aware of [Smile]

A year ago I was stuggling to bathe, eat and brush my teeth every day. Self care was close to zero.

Now I can do that, plus some other stuff.

I try to focus on what I can do, rather than what I still am unable to do.

Are you getting the pressure to do more from yourself, or from others?

Hugs
Greta

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lisa,

Check out the post I just put on (general support) - It's called (Living with Lyme Disease)

I think it will help you with this problem.

Steve

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kayak, coq10! yes, and I meant to put that on my list the other day and forgot.

My llmd said it would be good for the roof of my mouth that seems to always be shredded.

Greta , you right about guilt.

I make myself feel guilty because I have too high expectations of myself (and others)

my husband is still on me about working too. we are losing our house. I thnk everyone expects much from everyone else. and

I do think because this is an unseen illness that people give me looks like ' why arent you working, or ______ yet" . so tired of that, but you all know about that.....

I am trying to do some enjoyable things. I love to sew so I am using that talent along with making things to sell, but it is so slow going.

there is that pressure on myself again!

I wanna be the machine I used to be.

I miss the invincible person. [Frown]

my kids miss me too.

but, keeping busy is key. When I sit and relax I cant stop thinking about how everything hurts

so I will try and stay busy I guess. push may be good for that reason

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Someone just said Bromelain good for feeling good too. anyone take that?

--------------------

LisaK
Member # 41384

Steve, I read your post. good reminder to remember that I am healing and how to support myself and so on......

--------------------

Star Wars Fan
Member # 44326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star Wars Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand the feeling definitely...

Of late I've been making "have done" lists instead of "to do" lists. Much less depressing.

I'm putting anything that took effort on there, even if it "seems" lame.

For example: Getting out of bed goes on the "have done" list.

So does taking a shower, taking my supplements, managing to get on Lymenet to at least read posts if not reply...

Posts: 21 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

starwars I like that! have done. very good!!!! keep up the good work! thanks for the tip

--------------------

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Star wars,..that sounds like our exercise thread lately

--------------------

Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think its important to push yourself for your own well being and in the process you may just surprise yourself at how well you do feel both being active and engaging your mind. Somedays I would love to remain in bed when I'm not feeling well but I still get up and go to work. Once there, working with others in a job I find rewarding I sometimes realize I might not have felt great this morning but I feel really good now. Its great to feel engaged and productive.
Sure there are some days Icome home exhausted and in pain but I have kids that need rides to activities, dinner that needs to be made, laundry that needs to get done etc

When I was first diagnosed I stayed home for 3 weeks. I hated feeling as though I could not do anything. I was nervous to go back and it was rough at first but it was the best decision as I feel it really helped me to move on.

Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like The Spoon Theory. It pretty much describes how I need to manage each day:

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a mother, there have been many times where I have had no other choice but to "push through." But I have not been as debilitated from this disease as my kids have been.

Don't get me wrong, I've been really sick and LD has been at the bottom of my pile of dx. There was no fairy godmother to put a meal on the table or to do the laundry or scrub the toilet bowl. I found ways to manage family life because I had no choice (getting groceries delivered for example, and lowering standards).

That said, I know there was no way for my kids to suck it up and just push through. Because if there was, I'd have been all over them.

When you have a kid who is can barely make it to the bathroom without assistance......when you have a kid who is in the fetal position screaming from incontractable pain.....when you have to bring meals and snacks to a kid who is too sick to sit at a kitchen table....

There's just no pushing through when people are that sick. Period.

So please, let's not collectively contribute to the notion that if only you could "push yourself" you could get better. Nothing is further from the truth.

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

beaches, not to get better, but to go on.

some days I feel like I will die if I have to use my hands because they hurt so much. or

my GI system hurts too badly to give my husband a hug....

that is what I am talking aobut. more PHYSICAL pushing to get something done.

yesterday and Tuesday were very bad days for me. I felt like I wanted to scream and rip the skin from my body to free it from the torture.

it is not even just 'hurting'. it is like a possession of something taking over and bruising every speck of your flesh and bones.

even writing this now I get what my llmd likes to refer to as 'sense memories' making my hands hurt more than they really are right now

I am talking more about pushing MYSELF. to do. to please others. to make myself feel usefull. to not give in.

all those reasons.

I guess from what I figure this week is to push when I can and when I cannot to just tell myself there will be tomorrow.

and if tomorrow doesn't come , then what differeence does it make what I got done today. ha.
yeah, I wish I could actually live that mantra every day.

I really wish my brain would let me remember that. [shake]

o well, maybe tomorrow.

--------------------

kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lisa...my first thought is to laugh. The million dollar question.

I recall thinking we need a gage on us like my power chair has...so we will know when to plug us in and charge the batteries.

But, our systems are much more complicated.

I am not able to read wha tothers wrote.

My body use to stop for short periods of time with strange sytmtoms and I knew something was wroing with my energy since the early 80's.

But, it wasn't until 2001, that my bdy just stopped me in my tracks.

I was out of work for 2 or 3 weeks...thought I was doing better...got up to do my nonormal morning work...5 or 10 min into the walk and had to lay down on the sidewalk..wasn't sure if i was going to be able to get home.

brain was not talking to the legs either..werid stuff going on.

i pushed myself for years and and even being dx and starting treatment.

i still do it.

tricky business.

i do know when there is no water in the pail and no matter how much i try to push it just isn't going to happen now. ..doesn't stop me from trying.

we are all different..

main thing is not to put yourself in harms way..that takes some doing too to figure that one out.

be kind and patient with yourself..that takes doing too. [Smile]

No easy answer on this one.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if this will help or not.

But, when i first came won sick I would park near the entry way at work.....they would bring me a golf cart to get to my classroom

I would lay down while I was waiting for the golf cart

I later learned tos tart using paper plates and bowls so it would cut down on dish washing

the bucket is out of wtaer now so need to stop..but adjustments

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going on my second week of sinus infection. I tried to push through and gave up. by the time I went to doc, it was bad.

now I'm on augmentin and codeine for 10 days.

I'm too tired to even make bed. jus want to curl up and cry.

better to get things done when I can rather than toughing it out and winding up sicker than a dog.

this really sucks. well at least I'm alone for a week..

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

kam! I hear ya about the paper plates. or dish washer broke months ago and that's what we have been using. and plasticware. and sometimes using real glass plates but the load to wash isn't near what it was

meant to happen I guess. otherwise I would feel guilty not washing as many dishes at the same time mad because no one helps

since only the 2 guys here with me and they act like cats in water when it's dish washing time.

kam, and I totally get your episodes of having to plop flat and not move

this same thing happened to me 'in the beginning'. I was shovelling snow and all of a sudden I could not move and had to plop in the snow for a while and I remember thinking ' what is wrong with me'

that is what prompted me to go to the dr, but they never found a thing. o I wish they had all those years ago.

--------------------

LisaK
Member # 41384

randibear, I am sorry you are sick.

yes, pushing too hard is not good.

I have not gotten a cold or flu since starting tx. used to get them constantly.

I always pushed through them and got worse and worse.

finally I realized to listen to myself.

I guess that is what I should do with this too now. but can I realy hurt myself more if the sx are fatigue? or pain? can that really get worse just from trying to so stuff like everyday things?

--------------------

randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it sure can lisa. if I'm sickk, tired, and hurting I make mistakes, drop things, run into the bed, etc.

better for me to be safe.

after all I brushed my teeth with preparation h!!!!!

when I'm tired I don't pay attention. even burned up a pan trying to boil eggs cause I forgot to tirn stove off...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

o yeah, I was there too randibear.

I forgot that I did things like that.

leaving stove on so many times.

yikes......

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement