LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » FAKE OLIVE OIL

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: FAKE OLIVE OIL
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://eatlocalgrown.com/article/12300-is-your-olive-oil-lying-about-its-virginity.html

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Looking
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Looking     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More adulterated food:

Honey is not what it seems in a lot of cases too:

http://www.extremenaturalhealth.com/fake-honey-everywhere-study-shows-heres-how-to-know-the-difference/2/

"The biggest reason to avoid ultra-filtered honey is that pollen is the only sure-fire way to trace the source of honey to a geographic location.

As a result ultra-filtered honey is often used to mask the shady origins of certain kinds of honey, especially Chinese honey, which is subject to heavy import tariffs on account of its frequent contamination by heavy metals and illegal antibiotics."

In the study above:

100 percent of Winnie the Pooh sold in Walmart stores had all pollen removed.

100 percent of honey from individual packets from KFC and McDonald’s had all pollen removed.

77 percent of honey from big box stores like Costco, Sam’s Club, and Target had no trace of pollen.

100 percent of honey from drugstores like Walgreen’s and CVS Pharmacy had all the pollen filtered out.

As with the advice for olive oil, a good option:

Buying honey from farmers’ markets and natural food stores. The FSN investigation found that few, if any, of the honeys sold there had been subject to ultra-filtration.

Posts: 590 | From Canada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I wonder if big grocery chain brands are OK? MIne says the olive oils come from Italy, Spain, Greece, etc. Have just stuck the bottle in the frig to see if it solidifies.
Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought one here called Best Choice and it doesn't even smell right. I hope it's not rancid.. but it looks like the green coloring might have been added as stated in the article.

Just gross.

I knew about the honey also.

What CAN you trust?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo, Thanks for posting this, this stuff makes me sick!

Steve

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have noticed if mine didnt soludify cuz i have kept it in fridge for a few years now

And we are lucky to have many farm/farm stsnd/restaurants thetuse local goods

I need to get better at buying from them. Shopping is getting easier now that there isnt as much work on house

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LP....
quote:
Shopping is getting easier now that there isnt as much work on house
This isn't so true right now. When all the snow melts maybe your statement is correct!!! [Smile]

Steve

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't read the links. I always buy extra virgin olive oil, brand names like Bertolli or store brands I trust.

I will be on the lookout for honey now. Too many choices available to make bad ones!

It's really scary that we have to worry about our food. There's so much other stuff we have to deal with as it is.

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was surprised bertolli was one of bad ones

And yes steve...shovling has taken the place of painting and sawing and hammaring

But 3-4 weeks as go i did a big shopping and it has lasted a long time

And we are lucky to have winter farmer markets...but its too hard to drive to them now

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG really??? Bertolli was one of the bad ones?? I have to read that link.
Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
The best I've ever used. From southern California . . . they do every step themselves, with their own trees.

I feel good about giving them my business, too, as they supply the best olive leaf extract, too, and it's really important to have them there doing what they do so well.

http://seagateproducts.com/

Click onto the FOOD tab to find:

SEAGATE 100% Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Purity: Seagate 100% Extra Virgin Olive Oil is derived from Seagate's own hand-picked olives. This product's quality and integrity are assured because Seagate is in control of the entire process, from harvesting the olives, producing the oil and bottling the finished product.

There are no other oils blended into this Seagate product. It is 100% pure.

Extra Virgin Process: Seagate 100% Extra Virgin Olive Oil has not been subjected to any heat or chemicals. This oil comes from the very first cold pressing of the oil.

This is followed by gravity-fed filtration to remove the larger vegetable particles from the olive's skin and pulp that may have passed through the press.

There is no other step in the processing other than filling the bottles.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I know, beaches.. I like Bertolli also!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Well, if it's about deception, then any company that engages in that can't be trusted regardless of which product we're talking about.

But, if we know it's a mixture and knowing that up front, that may be well and fine, actually for there are other good oils in the world.

For historical reference, though, adulterating olive oil goes back for centuries, it was quite common. Deception was easy to hide even back to when it was loaded onto ships in wooden kegs.

We can be smarter now, though. It may take some detective work but not nearly what it might have taken back in the early trading days.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

My health coach buys hers from the local Amish Store. So that's another source for some regions.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Great idea to buy as close to home as possible, support those who are taking such risks and are working hard with the earth to provide delicious nourishment for us.

We have a couple olive groves here now, too. They are not quite up to full production yet with their oil, though so the bottles disappear quickly.

For a start, web search:

"olive groves" "olive oil" [state name]
-

LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, so it doesn't really say how you can truly tell.

so , now what?

I usually buy organic olive oil. first cold pressed. and I always check on the country where it came from.

there is actually an olive oil shop nearby where they have large casks filled with all kinds you can taste with tiny cups. fun and informative. I hope they are all real.!! don't they have to put it on the labels????

as far as honey goes I htink buying local honey is probably the best way to go.

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Lisa,

You say "so it doesn't really say how you can truly tell.: (end quote)

The Seagate site tells you all about their practices. Use their site as an example of what to look for. How the trees are grown, how tended, processed, etc.

I'd also like to consider the water source -- and how near the trees may be too possible industry run-off.

Certainly, I'd never want to buy anything grown near a pig or cattle factory "farm" as contaminated water run off can be really bad. But, my guess is that anyone in tune with an olive grove would not select such a location.

As with the one near you, likely that's a good choice -- explore their practices, get to know them. You may have your own excellent source right under your nose.

See first if they have a website that details this, then look for certifications, organizations to confirm.

And if you taste it and it resonates with you, that's a very good clue, too.
-

no_lyme_in_florida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for no_lyme_in_florida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whew...I was glad to see that the Olive Oil I use, Pompeian, was on the good list.

As for honey, I have been using 'Naked Wild Honey' that I found at Wal-Mart.

http://www.nakedwildhoney.com/home/#sthash.FFsmypEg.dpbs

Posts: 233 | From ft. myers, florida | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that store brand of olive oil failed the frig test. Got a little thicker, but did not solidify.

Pompeian, here I come.

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went through my cabinet. I have several containers of honey.

they are all "natural" honeys and even some from Italy, and most from local Amish or Mennonite farms nearby.

they are all rock hard right now from temps, all except one! I have one small squeeze bottle from Giant that is supposedly natural and I htink it even says organic. is is the only one that is liquid! I htink it must be fake some how? what else would explain it?

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I thought the "refrigerator test" was for the olive oil, not the honey? Wouldn't all honey get hard if put in the refrigerator??

Lisa, I would think that what you are buying locally is good unless they are repackaging and "cheating" the system.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Im confused now. What i have in fridge is the fillipo one and it is on bad list but it does solidify

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Olive oil that solidifies is bad .. (I think) .. and Filippo was one of those on the list that said it did not meat the standards of a good olive oil.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lpkayak
Member # 5230

I thought if it solidifys it is good. Ive read link so many times i dont know why i am having so much trouble with this

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

OOPS.. You are right. I read that part too quickly.

"A test you can try on any olive oil you currently have is to stick it in the fridge and see if it solidifies. If it doesn’t, you definitely don’t have olive oil."

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

LisaK
Member # 41384

I didn't put honey in fridge, it just gets hard here in the winters.

I am just wondering why only one of my jars didn't get hard. it is the non local one.

yes, lymetoo, I am fortunate to have many locally produced things around here. living near Mennonites and close to Amish helps . and we have a really great local farm market where you must raise or grow your own things to sell them there. it is fabulous! they have organic meats, bison, goat cheese, breads, herbs, plants, veggies of course, a local orchard comes and they are great- 99% of the farmers are organic or natural..... and they have live music while you walk around.

I am sure other places have me beat, but I am happy anyway

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

This article says to blame the MOB!!

http://www.realfarmacy.com/olive-oil-mafia-extra-virgin-olive-oil-lost-virginity/

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
A note about honey (even if fake honey) . . . if you have ants that know where your kitchen is, it's best to keep honey in fridge.

They will find the honey. I had a brand new jar of honey taken over by ants and learned the hard way.

Now, the jar could be placed into a shallow dish with some water that creates a moat of sorts but it will still attract ants, even if they can't make the swim.
-

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Well I'M not gonna be the one who blames the MOB...

--------------------

LisaK
Member # 41384

haha lymetoo, I saw that in a movie once- it may have been Goodfellas. a scene where they tell the olive oil guy to water it down with something and the idiots wont be able to tell. I forget which movei, but I remember seeing it somewhere.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement