LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » oregon shooter- crazy? angry? or sick?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: oregon shooter- crazy? angry? or sick?
LisaK
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they say he lived with his mom for his life and that he never went out. and she would tell neighbors to keep the noise down all the time because it "really bothered" her son. plus he sounded totally conflicted in all his on line stuff.

I know I say everyone has tick disease, but he did live in the wooded area? sounds like bart to me, but what do I know.

to me- everyone has it. and we will hear more stories like this one for sure

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Please do not confuse TBD (tick borne disease / infection) with diseased emotional attitude, anger & sheer hatred towards other. Let's just not go there right now.

All that hatred can certainly exist in someone without their having lyme. Having lyme, bartonella or other infection does not bring hatred like that. That's an entirely different matter. This was planned out, for crying out loud. Not some spur of the moment lapse in temper.

Good grief, I can't imagine anyone with lyme/TBD even having the coordination, strength and adrenal endurance (and ability to withstand noise) to go through the physical movements - or planning stages - of such an event much less the emotional ones.

Sure, he might have had some kind of physical illness or even some part of his brain impaired (which is why I hope they do a brain scan). But still, lots of people have things wrong with them and don't commit mass murder. Even a large percentage of those with psychopathic disorders do not inflict physical harm on others.

The prospect of possibly enjoying watching others suffer may have been part of this but that would be for the experts to consider. It just sounds like it was more about hatred and power.

Hatred, infliction of brutality & skewed control issues are not symptoms of a TBD. Though, even if he were to have had lyme or a TBD (which is not about to be properly diagnosed in the state of Oregon). . .

we have much deeper symptoms here of a far different nature that no one addresses during formative childhood and adolescent years.

Aspects of his situation in life and combination / effect of past experiences also require study.

Possible drug reactions to consider as well, but there is still all that planning to realize that this came from something more constant within him. This was no split second stressed out reaction. This came from hate that grew deep within.

After blood chemistry, parasitic evaluation & nutrient analysis / brain scan that also considers inflammation & blood flow . . . Questions I'm more concerned with are:

How did this evolve? Why? What might have made a difference? What can make a difference in others who ever have been exposed to, experience or hold hatred?

And this is not always as much to do with family life as we might first be inclined to think. Sometimes, it comes from outside of the family home.

How do we change our very society?

We have to look at hatred to understand it, to change its course, to have it not take hold - or to help it soften, dissipate with emotional & psychological healing. It's way past time, as a nation, to go to that place of study.

What forms the foundation & provides the fuel for a sense of entitled control and hatred?
-

[ 10-02-2015, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
He "never went out. and she would tell neighbors to keep the noise down all the time because it 'really bothered' him" . . . (end excerpt)

Damage from his gun use can cause such hyperacusis. So can drug reactions.

Other than lyme/TBD, there are also some inner / middle ear bone issues (such as superior canal dehiscense) that cause severe hyperacusis - so can various other things.

But hundreds, maybe thousands, of people live with hyperacusis and many of them can't go out into public, either (I've not been able to go out for so many years and I've not been able to even enjoy a meal with another person for well over a dozen years due to sound triggered seizures).

It bothers me to see those who must be in quiet or even those who just are shy by nature be seen as odd or dangerous. Some just need peace and quiet.

Still, there is more to this tragedy (yesterday and frequency of such) than just a physical illness or reaction to illness (whether physical or mental). To have an arsenal of 13 guns at the ready & hatred on board sets this apart.

Without hatred and skewed sense of entitled control, it's doubtful he would have even planned this.

My patience has run out trying to understand in retrospect for such actions are reprehensive. However, to help turn this around our actions now are what matters.

How do we, as a society, diffuse hatred? Will we?

How do we pull back from a culture of violence?

How do we teach youth that to have true personal power of one's own also requires respect for others?

Yet, how do we provide places of safety for those with deep issues to talk, freely, and how do we explore the depths of their sorrow and help them come out for the better?

What does someone who might be the "next one" really need? My guess is they don't need or want the tragedy, that they'd really rather have things / life turn out well. How can it be different? What do they need? What does everyone need?

So many questions. There must be answers.

[ 10-03-2015, 02:12 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/oregon-shooting-umpqua-community-college-chris-harper-mercer-investigation/

CBS News, Oct. 2, 2015

5:30 video here of a very good interview with a FBI personality profiler

and just want to applaud the sheriff who urges: 'Never Utter His Name,'

www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/10/02/445246613/never-utter-his-name-official-says-of-gunman-in-oregon-shooting

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-valdes-greenwood/a-dads-reply-to-the-guns-_b_8235332.html

A Dad Replies to the Lies We Tell Ourselves about Mass Shootings with a short list for how each of can act for change

Excerpt:

. . . Every day since, I've lived with a clear awareness of how easy it is for an individual to use gun violence as an outlet. It doesn't have to be easy; we can make it harder. . . .
-

[ 10-02-2015, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Keebler:
[QB]

and just want to applaud the sheriff who urges: 'Never Utter His Name,'

-
Amen .. finally!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
droid1226
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the first diagnosis for so many lyme patients is agoraphobia. Obviously we can't assume it's lyme related.

It could be prescriptions/withdrawal, tick borne illness, or just random. I think it's crazy that we as a country put so much emphasis on these shootings when twice as many people will die this weekend in Chicago from shootings. Those are not lyme related.

I think the Sandy Hook massacre could be lyme related. The kid lived in a big house in the woods of CT. It's possible.

At least we are at a point where these shooters aren't glorified. We aren't reading this murderer's manifesto. That's some progress.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
droid,

Yeah, sadly,

This guy has not been said to have had agoraphobia, though, just that he didn't go out much.

Just in case someone here has been told they have agoraphobia, just realize it is not at all the same as not going out. So many factors and most who diagnose agoraphobia actually are far to quick with that term.

Agoraphobia is often a misdiagnosis with lyme, though, as there is usually a reason that one has to avoid situations that are overwhelming to the nervous system / auditory or adrenal functions.

Often, those with lyme are just too ill to be able to go out or maintain relationships but when the misdiagnoses labels are tossed about, that's not considered.

I also wonder, though, if for those who do not have lyme and are labeling agoraphobic, if some of the underlying causes are just dismissed? Very likely, I think. It can be a dangerous waste basket label.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=031346;p=0

Topic: Agoraphobia / Anxiety from Lyme?

Misdiagnosis of both terms can come from:

Hyperacusis; Adrenal, nervous system, vestibular (inner workings of the ear / balance), and cardiac involvement. How that can be and what can help.
-

droid1226
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a term definitely thrown around too much. I was just reminded of it because of that John Cauldwell video when he said his son had it. It's crazy that the pattern is the same in so many of us.

I am not agoraphobic, yet it's in my file & follows me around. I was a bartender on the weekends along with my regular job. Then, like you said, auditory & vision problems started to become overwhelming. Dizziness & angles seemed weird.

I'd be hiding out in the bathroom at work laying down because I was too dizzy & tired to stand. Words looked like shapes that I couldn't comprehend, it's like I was suddenly illiterate. Hallucinations. That's not agoraphobic, that's sick.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
droid,

Thanks so much for sharing that experience. It may be of help to others and there may be some things that will help to know - things that sure took me for a surprise before I was able to have some specific vestibular tests to confirm a severe sensory dysfunction and other vestibular issues.

But even lyme can do all this.

"Words looked like shapes" can also be a kind of dyslexia that can be in response to toxicity levels and inner/middle ear inflammation, etc.

"Words looked like shapes" may not have been hallucinations but just the way the brain's deciphering system is put topsy turvey with the kind of vestibular attack you describe.

When I went to an art museum years ago to see a huge display of Chinese Clay Soldiers when I rounded the door, the light change was so sudden and dramatic that my vision just flipped and I was seeing these larger than life clay statutes from centuries before nearly standing on their heads.

Then I went down with a spin but had no idea how to get back up again - or which way was up. Security loved that. Embarrassment quotient to the moon.

Similar thing during an earthquake, the whole room looked like Jell-O. The way the brain interprets shapes, symbols, words, letters, numbers - doorways - when the inner ear is affected can be all over the map.

Even with reading, I've had whole sentences fly off the page and bounce back again, as if controlled by a rubber band.

The kind of NYSTAGMUS that can go with vestibular disorders - and with lyme, itself - can do this, too. Magnesium can help sometimes as nystagmus is often a sign of toxicity (and we all know that sure goes with lyme). the magnesium can also help the eyes not spasm so.
-

LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sorry I didn't mean to open up a can of worms....

I was merely meaning that he COULD have tick disease. with the right cocktail of "maybes" and "ifs" anyone could become a walking time bomb with totally disconnected social *feelings* towards others when their minds/bodies are aggrivated more with a disease like lyme or bart, etc..

personally, when my lyme sx are at their worst I surely get way more aggressive , way more unstable and way more uninterested in the feeligs of others. so if you were to throw in a more horrific childhood than I had along with worse genetics and the fact of living withmy mom in a one bedroom apartment for really any length of time ....

well..... need I say more. and yes, there is certainly more to this story than what I am saying and waht any of us here can say since we are not him, and we all know (hopefully) that much much much is kept from us in any situation like this.

there will be a rise in these kinds of things happenings and these diseases may very well be one of the reasons. that's just the way I see it. not saying it's the only thing making people crazy enough, but it sure isn't going to help the sad state of our country.

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not everything is lyme. I'm not sure I would want every horrific act tobe attributed to lyme. then it wouldbe open seasonon lyme patients. might as well paint a big red bullseye on us.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

yes, that is right... unfortunately.

sorry I am a killjoy. not much happy in my life right now

--------------------

glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of opening a can of worms, parasites can play a big part in emotional and psychological problems as suggested by Dr.K. Just sayin...The CDC came out with a report that 60 million Americans are infected with parasites. (The brain/gut connection)

Who knows what causes these deep psychological problems and we probably will not figure it out any time soon. Just so sad that shooting other human beings is the end result.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement