LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Tick Killing Robots

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tick Killing Robots
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Virginia Military Institute is designing tick catching robots that use carbon dioxide to lure ticks to it that then are killed with permethrin. A plus is the environment (your yard) isn't poisoned in the process as it would be with spraying with chemicals.

Rover Robot Kills The Ticks

http://www.vmi.edu/Content.aspx?id=10737425074

Military robot deploys CO2 to lure ticks to their doom

http://www.cnet.com/news/military-robot-deploys-co2-to-lure-ticks-to-their-doom/

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edessajarrue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edessajarrue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would buy one!

I am sure the military has a high incidence of tick borne diseases in their personnel, but don't test/report it.

I know that the training grounds at Camp Ripley in MN tested for tick and diseases on their training campus and found a really high incidence of both.

Oh wow, Camp Ripley, I just read, are rather well informed, more than CDC in recommendations.

4-8. Lyme Disease

a. General: There are two types of ticks commonly found at Camp Ripley – The Deer tick and the Wood tick. Since the Deer tick can potentially transmit Lyme disease, preventive measures should be taken when training at Camp Ripley, particularly during the tick season (April to October). Preventive measures include:
1) Wear your uniform with pants bloused into boots and sleeves down.
2) Use repellents on exposed skin and spray uniform with repellents such as “Permanone.”
3) Check for ticks frequently using the buddy system.
a. All ticks should be removed by grasping the tick as close to the skin as possible and gently, but firmly, pulling it straight out. Wash the bitten area with soap and water and apply an antiseptic to the bite site. DO NOT pull the ticks out with fingers.
b. If you find a deer tick attached to your body report it to Range Control. Upon removal of the deer tick, it will be sent to a laboratory for analysis. The results
c. of the analysis will be provided to the patient.

That is pretty great! Though, they really need an update on tick-removal tactics. And I suppose they don't warn them about the unseen ticks transmitting. *sigh*

But the fact that they test the ticks is impressive. And that they recommend a product with permethrin in it to boot!

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1280&bih=667&q=camp+ripley+mn+tick+study&oq=camp+riplr+mn+tick+study&gs_l=serp.1.0.30i10.14691.18393.0.21828.10.10.0.0.0.0.775.1432.2j3j6-1.6.0... .0...1c.1.64.serp..6.4.523.OU7yJjQ9V84

-Ede

Posts: 138 | From Eden Prairie, MN | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TC I new you would come up for air sometime.

I did Email you back a few weeks ago.

Good to have you back on here!!!

You whop eyed cotton picker !!!!!!!

HE HE HE HE HE HE HE HE HE HE !!!!

MADDOG

Posts: 3996 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yay for permethrin...so many still dont know its the only thing that kills them...but yes...its nasty this is a great ok

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rivendell
Member # 19922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivendell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We need to put these in the forests where people hike. My only concern is that ticks will become resistant to permethrin.

Fleas are becoming resistant to Frontline and some of the other "spot-on" treatments.

But hopefully this won't happen with ticks. The tick population is so out of control and needs to be dealt with.

--------------------
Herbal Treatments for Lyme and Co-Infections:
http://buhnerhealinglyme.com
http://www.tiredoflyme.com/the-cowden-protocol-for-lyme-disease.html http://www.sinomedresearch.org http://www.lymenet.org/SupportGroups/

Posts: 1358 | From Midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
interesting and hopeful. thanks for sharing

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would buy one!
Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
does it say how much they are?

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement