LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Autopsy Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Autopsy Question
rosie7
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rosie7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I die in my sleep. I would like an autopsy done of my brain and heart. It will not help me but it might help others get the treatment that is denied to us.

I also assume the brain needs to go to someone who knows what they are looking for like Alan McDonald.

Has anyone looked into what is needed legally to have this done?

I do not have the funds to pay a lawyer so would like to just be able to type it out and sign it.

Posts: 559 | From Lyme Land | Registered: Oct 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I understand it, needs to be OK with your family, since they will carry this out presumably. And there is probably a time limit on how quick the arrangements are done. There is more to this than just writing this out and signing it.

They do collect material to analyze at Columbia lyme center, but no apparent hurry about doing it. Not a full autopsy, material collected from the body.

Sorry, that is all I know. You might check with the larger lyme organizations to get their advice. This question gets asked quite a lot.

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make sure your family knows .. and maybe contact Dr McDonald.

http://www.utne.com/mind-and-body/how-and-why-donate-your-brain-to-science.aspx

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This may help. Thank you for considering a donation. And Poppy is right about having to have your entire family on board with your decision. VERY important.

Even with a declaration to donate hospitals will obey the survivors wishes and if any are different than what you proposed and put in writing, they will honor the other persons wishes. Thought being the survivors can sue them, you can't.

Yes, so much for "honoring your wishes". More explained here and forms to assist you.

https://sites.google.com/site/marylandlyme/memorial-page/advanced-directives-info

https://sites.google.com/site/marylandlyme/memorial-page/advanced-directives-forms

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
its hard to do it and expensive unless someone wants it so much they will pick up costs but all has to be done ahead of time organs must be harvested (sorry) quickly a special way and unless your family is very close it will be out of their control if you write out wishes including who and where it goes with lawyer there is a better chance of it happening i tried really hard to get it done on my mom cuz i thought it would help all of us plus grand kids but one brother stopped it if he didnt someone else would have if you happen to be in hospital or nursing home they need to have paperwork i talked to paul duray about this at length and really tried part of the problem is no one has funding for the long haul so if you set up with one and they lose funding it may not happen...maybe by now they are aware of the problem and have a plan i think talking to alan is the best idea but maybe tincups stuff is better i need to do this too but am having too much trouble day to day to get it done if you find an easy way please let me know...let us all know!

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rosie7
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rosie7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A person here at the apartments died sometime last night. She was 46 years old.

An autopsy is being requested by the medical examiner or coroner ...the state.

I did a search on line and it looks like an autopsy can be requested for several reasons.

Including the family wanting to know if there was something genetic that they might want to know about.

If the medical examiner or coroner orders it the family has no say I think.

I don't know it is tricky.

Family can order it too.

it also said that insurance will pay for it but I am sure they have their guidelines too.

I also read that less than 10% have autopsy's done...

I need to do some more research on this..but bottom line is it looks like the family is the deciding factor and then they may need to pay for it?

That part was a bit tricky for me to understand as it also said Medicare would pay for it.

I will read what you posted again.

Brain is out to lunch today as usual.

Wondering about all the natural paths that died and if they were able to have autopsy's.

So, it does not matter what i put on paper. It depends on the family or the state?

Posts: 559 | From Lyme Land | Registered: Oct 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pocono Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not for Lyme research but whole body donation to help others for a variety of illnesses/disabilities.

Doesn't cost anything.
I did this years ago.
http://www.sciencecare.com/

--------------------
2 Corinthians 12:9-11

9 But he said to me, �My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.� Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ�s power may rest on me.

Posts: 1445 | From Poconos, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Noticing on the Columbia info provided by tincup that a positive lyme test is required. That will prevent a lot of people from doing this.

And is that one positive during what might have been a very long illness? As we know, you could have a + but be told that symptoms subsequent to any treatment are now post lyme. In other words, a recent positive, or any positive?

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rosie7
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46766

good question

i feel it should not matter. i just want them to look for the spirochetes to prove that they were not gone.

Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Betty Gordon asked that I share this with you all. It concerns her husband and his recent autopsy.

Bless her heart she has pushed hard to get this done so we'd have more information to help all of us along. A great sacrifice and love of those who suffer.

http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/parkinsons-disease-discussions/medicine-treatments/3383877-bettygs-brain-lyme-autopsy-arrangementstips-

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement