LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Please help-what we go through to loved ones

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Please help-what we go through to loved ones
me
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could people please share the following? It would really help me, and I'm sure it will help others.

What it is like to have Lyme and cos? Daily life. How hard it is to make it through a day, a minute, a second.

Can you explain how it feels to be doubted, especially by loved ones.

Can you explain why we HAVE to do our own research and why we aren't Cyberchondriacs? (Yeah, that's apparently a real term--people who are hypochondriacs and go to the Internet to research and diagnose themselves)

Why we need groups like lymenet for support--not as a symptom of being a cyberchondriac.

Why it can take years to treat.

Please. The more responses the better. I'm out of ways to explain all this and am tired.

Thanks so much.

Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I first prefer to explain it in simple terms, what it is, so they get a picture of what's going on.

Like it's a bacterial infection - a spiral-shaped bacterium, similar to the one that causes syphilis (heard of that one? Know anything about syphilis? I like to start asking my listeners, to engage them, even with something they may have heard about)

It gets into the brain early on and starts to inflame the brain and spinal cord and throws off most body systems.

It also corkscrews into tissue everywhere and inflames it, depending on where it goes. So people can have symptoms anywhere.

It depletes our body of magnesium, which is needed for energy and over 300 enzymes.

It's usually invisible until it impacts enough of our system to become visible in some ways, in later stages.

So any short little explanational phrases like the above are helpful.

Then I usually ask if they have any questions about this, about its functioning, what it can do in the body?

And listen to their response - are they engaged with me or not? Maybe they have some immediate questions, like can pets get this, is this contagious, all the usual questions.

Also be ready with short explanational phrases for the co-infections. Babesia is a prozotoan; it gets into red blood cells and causes profound fatigue. Etc for bart, ehrlichia.

Why this situation is going on - one answer is that insurance companies don't like to pay for care - doctors stand down on telling people or treating - we have to find those who do.

It's a different situation going on than readily recognized and permitted-to-treat conditions. So we go online for answers very often. So we go to support groups.

I don't like labels for behavior. Our behavior is hopefully fulfilling a need. Cyberchondriac is not fair to throw at you. You are trying to meet your needs. We have a right to engage in activities to try to help ourselves.

[ 03-15-2016, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blymey919
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blymey919     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The website "Tired of Lyme" helped me find some words to explain things.

I liked this article...
http://www.tiredoflyme.com/so-you-have-a-friend-or-family-member-with-chronic-lyme-disease.html

Posts: 114 | From California | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scroll down to the last section and see -The Spoon Theory

https://sites.google.com/site/marylandlyme/recommended-websites

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MannaMe
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
me, I'm sorry, but some people do NOT want to hear! There are some who will refuse to hear any explanations you give. Their minds are made up.

You will need to save yourself and just keep away from them as much as possible.

We have some people like that in our lives. The more we tried to explain the dumb and dumber the stories were that went 'round. So we gave up and stopped trying to tell them anything.

There are others in our lives who do want to know and are listening. So find those people and surround yourself with the ones who are supportive.

Its sad, but there are some who will never understand until its them with Lyme.

Posts: 2249 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the responses and resources.

I'd really appreciate input from other members if you have a chance.

Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Member # 45475

Bump
LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that one I read recently was a good description to me :

having lyme feels like waking up evvery day with the worst influenza AND the worst hangover you'ce ever had.

that is how I feel jsut about every day of life.

24/7 ringin in my ears, people get mad becasue I ask them to repeat themselves

24/7pain in every joint and muscle in my body- to the point now I might die from joy if I was ever pain free.

wish this wsan't so:
everyone tellin gyou how you look so good.

people not asking or caring to find out how you really feel

people laughing when you say that everyone has lyme (becasue they probably do)

taking extra extra extra long to write things on the computer that used to take minutes.

I can barely write anything by hand any more

having nothing to eat at a party becasue all they serve is pizza and beer or wine or cake or ice cream or al lthe food you can't eat!!!!!!!!!!!! UGH

I could go on forever

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we have to simply be our own researchers becasue 99% of drs are all taught LIES in school and / or never taught what really matters for healing.

I tell everyone I can that the tests are faulty and the CDC only keeps them becasue they make money off f of it.

it all doesn't matter. no one will listen or HEAR what we say unless they want to - are ready to.. so I just keep yelling in their faces if I feel like it and so what.

no one really cares anyway. they all have their own lives.

they will care when it's too late for them. and that is going to be history. there is no hope. there is no future. that is how I see it. sorry to say. but I do live a productive , fun filled life whenever i get the chance. some day d you cry and others you laugh, jsut like real life.

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Member # 45475

Thanks so much, LisaK and all who have responded. Any and all input is appreciated.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement