LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » I HATE WINTER!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I HATE WINTER!
steve1906
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now there saying 12-18 inches

Today Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Areas of blowing snow between 1pm and 4pm.

Temperature falling to around 19 by 5pm. Breezy, with a north wind 17 to 21 mph, with
gusts as high as 36 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow
accumulation of 10 to 16 inches possible.

Tonight A chance of snow, mainly before 9pm. Areas of blowing snow before 10pm.
Cloudy during the early evening, then gradual clearing, with a low around 9.

Wind chill values as low as -6. Blustery, with a west wind 15 to 21 mph, with gusts
as high as 38 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

THIS WAS YESTERDAY!

55 car pileup

Ice kills 1, causes massive traffic pileups across Greater Boston Laurel J. Sweet, Chris Villani Wednesday, February 08, 2017

A treacherous ice storm has killed one man and caused a slew of massive pileups in what one driver described as a terrifying chain of "bumper cars," as the morning commute turned into a nightmare in Greater Boston today.

A 63-year-old Needham man was struck and killed by a sliding car this morning as he attempted to help his son, whose car was stuck on the ice, police said.

It was the only known fatality caused by the storm, which wreaked havoc for commuters across the region.

"The roads, they were fine, and it was pretty quiet, but all of a sudden I must have just hit a patch of black ice and my car started to spin. I knew at that point I was going to hit the guardrail," said Taylor Horton, the driver of the lead car in a Wakefield chain collision that involved approximately 55 cars.

The pileup caused the hourslong closure of Route 128 northbound at Route 93 on the
Wakefield/Lynnfield line, and the ramps from I-93 northbound and southbound to I-95 north were also closed. They were reopened about 9 a.m., as was Route 128 north at I-93 in Reading.

Horton, 23, of Woburn, a geology major at Salem State University, was headed to her job as a nanny in Marblehead on Route 128 north at 5:45 a.m. this morning in her "little junkie old" Suzuki Grand Vitara.

The Suzuki, which she said "is probably toast," bounced off the guardrail, its airbags deploying, and landed back in the middle of the highway, where she was hit by a second oncoming vehicle.

"My glasses literally flew off my face when I hit the guardrail, so I couldn't see anything," said Horton.

"When I was hit from behind, I thought that'd be it. But the ice was so slick, it was like bumper cars.

I started hearing a bunch of banging as cars started slamming into each other. The cops were saying it's at least a 50-car pileup."

About 30 cars were towed from the scene, state police said, confirming approximately 55 cars were involved. There were several injuries, but none are believed to be serious.

The ice left a trail of destruction across Greater Boston.

In Cambridge, there were 22 motor vehicle crashes, resulting in multiple tows but no serious injuries, police said.

There also were delays on the Pike from a truck that crashed into a median in Milbury at exit 11. Route 93 was closed for hours at I-495 in Methuen. All lanes on both roads have reopened.

A multi-car wreck this morning in East Boston snarled Route 1A traffic headed westbound to Logan Airport and the Ted Williams Tunnel, and there was a pileup on Elliot bridge in the Cambridge/Allston area.

State police had closed the Massachusetts Avenue Bridge and portions of Storrow and Memorial Drives due to severe icing conditions for about 40 minutes this morning, but they have now been reopened.

"Expect continued delays," state police warned.

Dozens of schools districts in the state have closed or delayed openings this morning.

Boston Public Schools are open, but the department has alerted schools that buses may be arriving late due to the slippery road conditions.

This morning, Governor Charlie Baker announced a two-hour delay for all non-emergency state employees due to the icy road conditions and highway closures.

"The administration is implementing a two hour delay to allow road crews to treat dangerously icy roadways and to respond to several, multi-vehicle crashes,” Baker said. “We urge all drivers to exercise extreme caution as driving is very difficult due to icy conditions and to be patient as public safety officials respond to multiple incidents impacting our highways."

KEEP WARM, & BE CAREFUL....
Steve

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Winter?? None here in SW MO ... we're still waiting for it. OOPS.. now I've doomed us for sure!

Hope you can shovel your way out SOON! Stay safe and send photos!

[Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope you stay snow-free. Winter, snow, ice, sleet etc. is not Lyme friendly!

It's going to be a long day, it's been a white-out all day.

Steve

[ 02-12-2017, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: steve1906 ]

--------------------

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EEK!! Just praying that you don't lose power .. that's when it gets scary.

[group hug]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

No power = Hotel night - pray harder. Anyone else going through this Blizzard?

Steve

--------------------

norcal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for norcal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sick with the flu from you know where. But Iam keeping Lyme and friends at bay so far this winter. 7 th day of vicious northern California rain and now our roof is leaking walls are getting wet and mold is surely on its way. I'm freaking a bit. Have not worked in two months and the $ is going.
Digging down deep today calling on my faith again.
The weekend forecast is for dry, regroup and carry on!

Posts: 342 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

norcal, I'm so sorry to hear this bad news. As I'm sure you know - please address the roof issue asap, and make sure to get rid of any water damage
inside of the house before any mode has time to grow.

Steve

--------------------

steve1906
Member # 16206

-

-

Steve

--------------------

steve1906
Member # 16206

-

Steve

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Kayak is having a knee replacement (it was yesterday).. so I'm happy that she is SAFE where she is. Her son is taking care of her place .. so I'm also happy she is not having to shovel snow and break ice!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

steve1906
Member # 16206

Me too,,,I hope everything goes well for Kayak, shes been through so much!!!!!

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Yes, so much.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HA!

I thought this was last year's post Steve. Guess you have the right to have an "annual kick winter in the snow" fest. And I'm right there with you. Love the pics, but...

I HATE cold and snow too!

One winter instead of heading south to escape it all, I took a job at a ski lodge. I'm laughing even thinking about how really dumb that was since I hated snow and cold way back then too.

But the money was good and I needed extra dollars ($2,000) for law enforcement training (to pay my bills while I was away), so it sounded pretty good at the time.

But, I really took the job to give some kids that couldn't afford it free access (as my guest) to the resort and a chance to go skiing. THEY absolutely loved it, but for my troubles...

I was headed to the "moderate" skill ski slope during a break one day- we often worked 12 or 16 hour, or longer shifts- and I slipped on ice and fell (embarrassing too- it was on the bunny slope, the easiest one for kids).

I ended up in a full leg cast that I had to wear for 6 weeks. Did I mention the pain involved? But that's not all!

On a trip home headed off the mountain the ice got the best of me (my van) and locked up. I slid sideways down a long stretch of mountain road before coming to rest at the top edge of a straight drop down the mountain side.

The van was so close to going over I couldn't exit thru the drivers side door.

Lucky I was, for sure. Another two feet of sliding and I'd have been part of the permanent landscape about 1/2 mile down from where I started.

AND... another time I got locked in a nearby park that closed their gates early due to an unexpected blizzard. They did it before they checked to see if anyone was still in there. HELLO PEOPLE!

I sat at the gate in my van in the snow and cold for 2 days before someone came to unlock the gate.

That was before the days of cell phones, and the hike out thru the mountains to civilization was about 10 miles on a good day. In a blizzard, the walk wouldn't have been much fun, so I stayed put.

The sad part was while I was missing- no one missed me! The only ones who even thought of me during those three days just figured I was working extra hours and never sent out an alarm.

So.... Steve, I'm with you 100%.

ME DON'T LIKE SNOW & COLD EITHER!

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone have an update on Kayak?

Sending her prayers, my love and best of thoughts!!!

[group hug]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In in concord hospital concord nh. I have a picture window with an incredible view. Surgery was wed. I came 2 days early when they changed the snow to ice. But now like Steve says a second blizzard. My son is at my house taking care of dog and shoveling. I can't really see to type. Be safe everyone!

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

So good to hear from you! Thanks for posting. Please keep us updated and if we can do anything, lettuce no dear lady!

[group hug]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

steve1906
Member # 16206

More snow today and tomorrow, will it ever stop!

ALERT:
...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM EST MONDAY... ...BLIZZARD WATCH REMAINS IN effect....Great....

Q: What do you get from sitting on the snow too long?
A: Polaroids!

Q: Why did Frosty the snowman want a divorce? A: Because he thought his wife was a flake

Q: What time is it when little white flakes fall past the classroom window?
A: Snow and Tell.

Q: How do you know if there's a snowman in your bed?
A: You wake up wet!

Q: What do you call an old snowman?
A: Water!

-

Steve

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement