LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » advice on a family physician?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: advice on a family physician?
Marz
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was googling for a new primary care MD near me and found one that said he loved working with people with chronic diseases.

I called to see if he had experience with lyme patients and was told yes.

I also discovered when doing more searching that he's had allopathic and osteopathic training although he's not a D.O.

I'm not sure how much to divulge about the fact that I'm seeing an LLMD.

Probably especially not to tell him that she's got me trying kratom and CBD oil!

Posts: 1297 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marz
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and I'm seeing him Monday.
Posts: 1297 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
"allopathic" is what most MDs do. Do you mean "naturopathic"?

Ask him " why do you say you love working with patients who have chronic illness."

His answer to this matter a lot. Listen.

I would ask for a conversation / interview each other kind of session - and not even to establish a patient file for you just yet until you both have more detail about each other.

Though, it may not be able to be billed if he does not start a
file on you. that's tricky.

First meeting is just to meet. You have not yet made the decision to "hire" him, I assume. So you have to interview him a bit as he must interview you, too. Fact finding all the way around to lay an honest foundation if the next step is to be taken.

IMO, you must tell him exactly what you are taking if he prescribes anything at all. If they are a good doctor, they should understand why, etc.

If he is not going to prescribe anything for you or you are not asking him to diagnose anything at all first visit, you may not have to go into detail with all Rx.

Yet, IMO, if he is going to take you as a patient & if you are going to hire him as your doctor,

He does need to know more. It's only fair he know all you take - only fair to him, and to you, too. All supplements should be listed with same detail as below so he know the source, etc.

So, as for kratom, write down the dose, etc., exact brand, and all details as to ingredients and SOURCE of those, because it it this kind of detail that he would require. If he does not know the source

- not just the brand - and the very people at the head of that company, their reputation, etc.

but also where they actually source the plant, where it's grown, how it's handled - is there anything sprayed on it during processing, etc. and the manufacturer's nam

if all that detail is not available, he would have to say - and should say: " do not take it."'

With the specifics, then, that's a very different conversation where you have informed him of specifics and how it helps you.

You don't have to share the name of your LLMD or specifics of treatment at this time . . . but you do need to share that you are getting treatment that includes : whatever ranges of drugs, supplements, etc.

Talk to those in your local lyme support groups to see if others know him / his style / his expertise . . . .
-

[ 12-01-2017, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Good to see what's new regarding this, just to be as informed as possible for a conversation if your doctor wants to talk about it with you. There are likely other articles, professional articles but I can't find them now.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/kratom-deaths-georgia_us_5a2060a3e4b03c44072c0b91

Does Kratom Really Kill? Officials Aren’t Telling Us The Whole Story.

Authorities claim the popular herbal drug poses potentially deadly risks, but there are big problems with their evidence.

By Nick Wing - HuffPost - 12-1-17

3:29 video & article

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2017/11/22/meet-sackler-family-making-billions-from-opioid-crisis.aspx

Meet The Family That's Killing Millions

By Dr. Joseph Mercola - November 22, 2017

Excerpts:

. . . (section) How You Can Avoid Becoming a Statistic

. . . Kratom

Kratom (Mitragyna speciosa) is another plant remedy that has become a popular opioid substitute.49 In August 2016, the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration issued a notice saying it was planning to ban kratom, listing it as a Schedule 1 controlled substance.

However, following massive outrage from kratom users who say opioids are their only alternative, the agency reversed its decision. 50

Kratom is likely safer than an opioid for someone in serious and chronic pain.

However, it's important to recognize that it is a psychoactive substance and should not be used carelessly. There's very little research showing how to use it safely and effectively, and it may have a very different effect from one person to the next.

Also, while it may be useful for weaning people off opioids, kratom is in itself addictive.

So, while it appears to be a far safer alternative to opioids, it's still a powerful and potentially addictive substance. So please, do your own research before trying it. . . .

. . . [various pain relief methods discussed here, too]
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I was looking for articles by researchers in the field of naturopathic medicine and can't find much. I did a site search at ITM for "kratom" and this is the only article that pops up.

I can't see the term here but am too dizzy to continue.

It does look like an excellent article, though, in explaining a different way of looking at, addressing pain.

What I hope the doctor will say when you ask why he says he loves working with those who deal with chronic illness is that

he likes to explore all causes, reasons, ideas, methods to find what will really work.

If he is into herbs, though, ask him what training he's been able to obtain - who are his bright stars of knowledge in this area - or any other areas that excite him regarding finding new ways (or even old) ways that work

But DO NOT ASSUME this. Let him talk, let him tell you about himself and his philosophy / methods of working.

Same with you bring up lyme / LLMD. Listen HIS thoughts. Do not assume. Do not put words in his mouth or let vague answers go by the wayside.

Do not bring up lyme with anyone else in the room, no nurse, assistance, etc. You need his honest views and it needs to stay between the two of you.

His clinic may not "allow" him to do much about lyme so you don't need the gossip machine talking there. Find out about his boss, too, so you can better understand any constraints and be better able to work together in ways he can / and ways that insurance will cover.

What might be very good with this doctor: BODY WORK. Just be sure knows enough about lyme

to NOT suddenly twist the spine. This is to be avoided for those with lyme as spinal tissue is often swollen, inflamed and sudden twisting can cause some severe problems with the brain when infected or even in a chronic state of inflamation.

http://www.itmonline.org/arts/advancedarthritis.htm

Treating Advanced Arthritis with Chinese Herbs

by Subhuti Dharmananda, Ph.D.

Institute of Traditional (Chinese) Medicine 2005
-

[ 12-01-2017, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Marz
Member # 3446

I was thinking of seeing him for primary care because if he knew about lyme at all from a chronic standpoint, he might be more understanding in treating me for general health issues.

Also, I liked that he has some osteopathic training although he's not a D.O. I had a D.O. once who I loved but she moved away.

So, maybe I made a mistake not asking for an interview first. I did ask about that but was told it wouldn't include any treatment issues and I have been kind of desperate about the severe headaches I'm experiencing.

My phone consult with LLMD about headache was when kratom was mentioned. I was kind of shocked.
And I tried some, started too high and was nauseated and out of commission. Pain diminished, but anxiety was high.

So I'll maybe cancel Monday morning and ask for an interview. Kind of a dilemma!

I didn't know allopathic meant western medicine. Thanks.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What would it hurt to go for treatment? You don't HAVE TO switch at that point, do you?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
It's too late to cancel and you seem to have a purpose with this time besides learning about him.

"Interview" - a term I used - was meant more as a style / mindset - the way in which you communicate by finding out a bit before just asking for a prescription or treatment order. Not just rolling in saying "this hurts" and taking home a prescription.

This "fact finding" - or learning a bit about his mindset so assumptions are as few as possible - can be done in a shorter time, too -- and in tandem with asking for his medical advice on a matter or two -- if you have questions prepared and just be mindful of how the time is used.

You might also seek out any articles he may have written or books / article he recommends.
-

OptiMisTick
Member # 399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OptiMisTick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it was me, I would go to an unknown doctor and talk about my symptoms and SEE if maybe S/HE might say "Hmmm, maybe I should test you for Lyme Disease, you know many of those symptoms can be Lyme or other tickborne diseases.

I might, as an alternative, see if the doctor said "When did you start feeling this way, was it gradual or sudden. By any chance did you notice a rash anywhere? If it's what I am thinking about, you don't always notice a rash but (about 40% of) some people do."

If neither of the above responses are forthcoming, I would go "Next."

Just keep going, don't waste time bickering or with ambivalency. You have a window of opportunity - don't waste it!

Posts: 1338 | From Above the Clouds | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know. I get mixed things from each place I go.

I think some drs have def theory of lyme, etc and stick with that- either it is there forever and you are screwed with sx, or they think total oposite- that you were treated and it went away and your remaining sx are a mystery.

so, I think if you have a good feeling to go with that.

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement