LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Does climate change make a difference in tick-borne illness?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does climate change make a difference in tick-borne illness?
Ann-Ohio
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 44364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-Ohio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is all the information you need to know about the Climate Impact Census’s Tick-borne illness survey.

If you click on the link below, it will take you to more information and the survey itself.

I hope you will follow through and make your voice heard on this important issue.

I split up the text for easier reading.

https://www.climatecostproject.org/about-tick-borne-illness-survey

TICK-BORNE ILLNESS SURVEY

The data collected by the Climate Impact Census's Tick Borne Illness Survey is critical to understanding the true economic burden of tick-borne illnesses,

its significance within the American economy, and the way in which these costs are distributed across the United States.

Existing studies collected through government research, patient surveys, and biographical testimony focus heavily on diagnosis, treatment, and health care system capacity.

The work of the Climate Cost Project focuses solely on economic impacts.

By taking the survey, you will help provide information on the financial effects of tick-borne illnesses on the American population to a wide audience.

The questionnaire takes about 15 to 30 minutes to complete. Thank you for your participation. If you have any questions, please contact [email protected].

BACKGROUND ON CLIMATE AND TICK-BORNE ILLNESS COST RESEARCH

At present, analyses of climate change costs have been limited in the number of impacts examined and the types of costs resulting from those impacts.

Most work has focused on costs from extreme weather, heat, and air pollution (e.g. see here, here, here, and here),

and limited to official government and insurance records that exclude out of pocket expenses and uninsured losses.

The costs of vector-borne illnesses, such as tick-borne diseases, have received little attention outside impacted communities.

Yet individuals suffering from tick-borne illnesses may be incurring some of the highest undocumented costs of climate change.

Though a handful of economic analyses have looked at the cost of Lyme disease in particular, costs likely remain underestimated.

Aucott et al. examined medical claims from insurance records, excluding out of pocket expenses (2015).

Zhang et al. included a few out of pocket expenses and other impacts, but noted their analysis likely underestimated costs (2006).

A recent study by environmental economists focused strictly on the value of lost leisure time by outdoor enthusiasts fearful of infection (2017).

The main purpose of the Climate Impact Census tick-borne illness survey is to address these gaps.

We hope that if Lyme disease and other tick-borne illnesses are understood as the economic problem and environmental illnesses they are,

progress can be made on reducing their spread and tackling their devastating impacts.

PRIVACY

The Climate Cost Project understands patients' need for privacy.

We will never share a participant’s information with third parties, nor publish data that could personally identify a participant.

In taking the survey, the user will need to establish a username and password so that we may contact them if necessary.

This contact information helps us manage our database and keep in contact with respondents to share results as they become available.

However, if the survey taker is not comfortable providing their contact information,

he or she can take the survey by providing a non-identifying username and email

(i.e. that do not contain the survey taker’s name).

The Climate Impact Census uses end-to-end encryption and employs a security system, which prevents unauthorized access to its databases.

--------------------
Ann-OH

Posts: 1590 | From Ohio | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlie Fitzgerald
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie Fitzgerald     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Climate Change has turned into such a controversial subject because of the strong propaganda put out by oil and coal corporations, half the country doesn't believe in it due one political spectrum proposing it's just a cycle, regardless of what the scientific consensus is... Human beings are tribalistic to whatever group they abide to and disregard the science behind a controversial topic like climate change, they'd rather listen to what their favorite media spokesperson has to say or their local pastor! lol

There's been numerous studies put out what a warming planet could due to animals, insects, and microrganisms that live on this planet. You break up that balance of having cold winters and warm summers, it's going to have some serious repercussions.

Regardless if excessive carbon warming is warming up the planet or just a cycle, excessive carbon has killed off a large portion of plant life in the ocean that makes up a good portion of oxygen on this planet. We're acidifying our oceans and disrupting the ph balance of the water that all the sea life lives in, this we can actually "measure and see with our own eyes," such as the great barrier reef.... instead of talking about the effects of a warming planet, they should talk about how excessive carbon soaks right int our oceans and acidifies our water, whether global warming is just a cycle, I mean climate change (they had to change the name of global warming just because of the propaganda put behind) They should be centering on the devastating effects of excessive carbon to oceans and sea life!

Look, scientists have been wrong about many things, Lyme is one of them, but you can't ignore a garbage patch sitting in the ocean the size of Texas. I hate to say it, but I think Humanity will be lucky if we have another 100 years on this planet at the rate we're going with chrony capitalism! With US leading the way and other countries following!

The mass production of plants and animals was never meant to be! We've genetically modified vegetables, hybridized wheat, overdosed animals and fish with antibiotics all just so corporations can mass produce these things and keep their stock up on wallstreet. We've seen millions of people come down with gastrointestinal diseases and disorders, as well as a gluten intolerance. Gluten wasn't even talked about in the 80s and 90s, yet you see so many foods on the grocery shelves labeled gluten free these days.

Corporations and CEOs behind them, are responsible for killing and ruining millions of peoples lives on this planet, not to mention animals as well. But hey, a freer and unregulated market will solve all our problems.

So are human beings effecting the animals and giant planet we live on? Maybe even causing something so controversial such as climate change, "allowing ticks to survive due to milder winters."

Here's an interesting read https://aeon.co/essays/how-lyme-disease-became-the-first-epidemic-of-climate-change

"Ticks snuggle into leaf litter rather than freeze in snow, reducing tick mortality but upping that of the moose"

Look at Lyme and how there's always been another side of doctors suggesting it's a chronic infection, then look at climate change, at show me the amount of scientists that believe it's just a cycle or it's real. The scientific consensus is pretty overwhelming on Climate Change!

[ 06-05-2018, 02:59 AM: Message edited by: Charlie Fitzgerald ]

Posts: 108 | From Germany | Registered: Jul 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-Ohio
Member # 44364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-Ohio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent, Charlie! And Mary Beth Pfeiffer is an amazing advocate
for all of us . Her book, Lyme Disease; the first epidemic of climate change is more for us.

I am not sure she talks much about monetary costs to patients.
The survey explained in my post will be a good way to see what
costs are and get the word out there.

I hope everyone will consider taking the survey.
Ann

--------------------
Ann-OH

Posts: 1590 | From Ohio | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I am not so sure I believe in global warming or climate change.
I think there is a lot of propenganda going around, I do believe they are spraying chemicals in the air with chemtrails, I watched a few videos on YouTube and also a doctor I was seeing in Mi believes that as well.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X3lW-TGGlk0&feature=share

I do believe toxins effect all of us who are sick, our bodies can only handle so much.

--------------------
God Bless You! Everything..is just my opinion.

Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.cfact.org/2016/07/22/the-antarctic-peninsula-is-cooling-not-warming/

http://www.cfact.org/2013/12/28/antarctic-ice-blocks-ice-breaker-sent-to-rescue-climate-researchers-trapped-in-ice/

--------------------

Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Member # 1271

https://youtu.be/5t30MjWp7no

--------------------

Charlie Fitzgerald
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie Fitzgerald     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Beverly:
Well, I am not so sure I believe in global warming or climate change. I think there is a lot of propenganda going around.

lol, yeah and this cfact.org site you just posted Beverly has a lot of propaganda.

quote:
Originally posted by Beverly:
http://www.cfact.org/2016/07/22/the-antarctic-peninsula-is-cooling-not-warming/

http://www.cfact.org/2013/12/28/antarctic-ice-blocks-ice-breaker-sent-to-rescue-climate-researchers-trapped-in-ice/

Beverly why don't you do some research on Jay Zwally's opinion of climate change before jumping the gun and buying into this propaganda site cfact.org, which distorted his opinion on the topic.

https://www.mediamatters.org/research/2015/11/04/nasa-scientist-warned-deniers-would-distort-his/206612

Jay Zwally - "I Know Some Of The Climate Deniers Will Jump On This, but It Should Not Take Away From The Concern About Climate Warming."

Jay Zwally - "climate deniers" would wrongly tout the study as proof that "we don't have to worry [about global warming] as some people have been making out."

It's amazing how people easily get influenced by small crappy site like cfact.org, when the scientific consensus is climate change is real, isn't it Beverly?

Hey look, I'm a firm believer in chemtrails. But you do realize why they're doing it right? To combat climate change!

CIA Director John O. Brennan on chemtrails -> https://youtu.be/ZShau-I7Smc

Sounds like someone's been influenced way too many times by Alex Jones... The guy can be right on some things, but remember sites like cfact.org and Alex Jones make living off making money on conspiracy theories, remember that! They are not scientists Beverly!!!

Here's a great discussion on how damaging conspiracy theory can be to the public https://youtu.be/7izB_FJRsmU

Just by checking out Cfacts YouTube channel, seems their whole purpose is to debunk climate change.

https://www.youtube.com/user/cfact

Beverly, this right and left crap needs to stop, stop picking sides and going with what your favorite talking head has to say about a topic like climate change. For once in your life think for yourself and break the tribalism.

Joe Rogan had a real good talk about this https://youtu.be/jU9DnXejAYQ

Here's an interesting video, "Americans Struggle to Tell The Difference between Fact VS Opinion" https://youtu.be/aeI8Rt1K2S4

Man we're living in some disturbing times...

When I see someone make a comment claiming people who believe in climate change are fascist, this shows how much we're living in disturbing times.

Cfact.org's video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbC82_5YZtA

1965ace - "The climate fascists don't want any dissent"

Posts: 108 | From Germany | Registered: Jul 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-Ohio
Member # 44364

I hope everyone agrees that the changes in weather in the US make it a good place for increase in all kinds of ticks and mosquitoes and all the diseases they can transmit.

We all need to be careful and make others aware and cautious.Here's good information on all kinds of ticks and tick lifters and repellents.
www.tickinfo.com

I am not trying to sell anything here.
Ann

--------------------
Ann-OH

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just can't get into political discussions because it ALWAYS leads to arguments. This was definitely turning political.

Thanks, Ann.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Member # 1271

Well, it could be as you say Charlie, but with the government finally admitting they are in fact spraying chemtrails, I find myself extremely skeptical.

I will go to the links you posted, because I want to keep an open mind, but really who can we trust these days?

Al Gore said that Global Warming would happen and the temps never rose so they changed it from Global Warming to Climate Change? I guess they have to have some reason for spraying us with metals and all sorts of garbage?

The banks are not too concerned about lending money for condos to be built on the oceans, neither is Al Gore. I would hardly think they are going to give money when it would end up under water.

I don’t know who to trust, our government is corrupt. Before finding out I had Lyme Disease I would have believed whatever the government told me, but not anymore. They told me mercury fillings were fine, there is no Lyme Disease in Mi, blah blah blah.

I do believe in pollution and I think the government, unfortunately has to regulate things. I don’t believe in a complete free everything.....companies will dump garbage into the oceans, lakes, people are greedy and they don’t care about nature, animals etc., but that is a whole other discussion for me.
I wish the government would do a good job, but I am not impressed with the CDC, FDA, EPA, and many others.

So I guess I will remain a sceptic.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FHtR0QRIEX8

[ 06-24-2018, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: Beverly ]

--------------------

Beverly
Member # 1271

Hey if the thread is too political then delete it, but I think there are many reasons about tick populations, chemicals, metals, EMFs, pollution...who knows? Maybe whatever fed on ticks is dying like certain bird populations? Can’t wait for the 5g..

--------------------

Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post 
Charlie started it .... AGAIN.

Back off of Beverly, Buck-O.

If you have an opinion, state it. Don't be insulting and attacking others because you don't agree with them.

That's not nice.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a lot of climate change/tick studies out there. Too many in my opinion.

I'd rather see the federal and other grant money being used to find a good test and a cure because we all know there are ticks out there, we know they are carrying many disease causing organisms, and the problem is getting worse and not better.

In the meantime many are suffering. People first.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement