LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Exercise: What you Can do today Sept. 22

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Exercise: What you Can do today Sept. 22
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 6 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Autumn officially begins tomorrow and with it may come more exercise.

Are you swimming, raking leaves, walking the beach, cleaning your home or lifting weights?

We invite you to tell us about your daily movements.

I did my shoulder rehab exercises.

Did one load of laundry.

Off to library. Have a great week! [hi]

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8880 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Icon 6 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Hiker for getting us going for another week! Sundays are just an at home PT day for me too. Also I'm doing some laundry and plan on cooking a super easy dinner of frozen pre-made teriyaki chicken, brown rice and a cauliflower, broccoli and carrot medley.

Sitting here now between loads of laundry and watching Alice Through the Looking Glass with Mom.

It's a nice cooler day with the high getting to 90 degrees. Can't believe I'm saying cooler! It'd be a good day to finish up my yard work or wash the cars but it's not happening today. Guess all that will still be there tomorrow.

Anyways, hope everyone has a terrific day!

[hi]

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6139 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Going to a big awards show here tonight ... and I'm OFF!!

[hi]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no_lyme_in_florida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for no_lyme_in_florida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My shoulder felt much better today, for whatever reason. I had tried to carry a large laundry basket with a heavy bottle of detegent and clothes in it pressed up to my side with my left arm extended all the way out to grab the basket so I could talk on my phone with my right hand about a week and a half ago (nice run on sentence, nlif), and after that my shoulder has been hurting. Today is the best it has felt since then so I am hoping it will not be long before it feels normal again and I can swim as much as I would like to.

Absolutely beautiful day here in SW Florida. This time in September can be brutally hot and humid, and usually is, but today the temperature did not reach 90 and it felt like a fall day. It reminded me of being in Atlanta for college and feeling that first day of Autumn.

I went to the pool and swam a little, and also laid out in the sun for about an hour. I usually wait til the sun goes down to do my walking, but it was so nice outside I went ahead and did it in the late afternoon. I had no problem doing two miles, which is the farthest I have gone so far, and I feel so good now I want to go walk some more later tonight, but will probably wait so as not to overdo it.

Tomorrow is another dose of Antabuse for me. I am taking a small dose every 3 or 4 days as most Lyme patients are doing at the beginning of treatment due to the herxes. I usually feel pretty bad the day or two after, but by the third or fourth day I feel better and better. I will say this, though, today has been the best day I have had in many years, and I am certain that this drug is the reason.

If any of you know anyone now or in the future who starts on this drug, tell them that it can be very rough in the beginning for awhile but to get through it because this feeling of having times when I can begin to remember what it felt like to be completely well, after being sick for 17 years, is indescribable. And those times are getting more and more with every dose I take.

Hiker, I love to watch sports, and the fall is my favorite time as College Football is my favorite. My interest in most pro sports has waned as I have gotten older, though.

Lymetoo and Ak, thanks for the continued well wishes. Have fun at your awards show, Lymetoo.

[ 09-23-2019, 02:30 AM: Message edited by: no_lyme_in_florida ]

Posts: 233 | From ft. myers, florida | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Icon 6 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At home PT and my arm routine then Mom and I hit the wellness center. I had so much fun at Zumba today due to new routines and songs. Laughed my head off at my 2 left feet but sure worked out as hard as I could for 30 minutes. Mom did 27 minutes on the NuStep and walked 4 laps today.

Might get out there and clean the inside of Mom's car and maybe give it a wash.

TuTu hope the awards show was a blast!

NLIF glad to hear the shoulder's better. Way to go on the swimming and that 2 miles! Been fascinated about your posts on Antabuse. Went to the link you provided and have been reading that one also. Very happy that you're doing so much better!

Well, off to eat an organic apple and head outside!

[hi]

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6139 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NLIF--Hope the Antabuse doesn't knock you back, but I know you will get right back up and keep progressing.

Ak--You are an exercise queen.

I did my shoulder rehab exercises at home, but cancelled for the first time my PT session with the therapist. My lower back is killing me.

I went to the chiropractor. Part of it may be the way I am now having to sleep on my back, but she thinks a certain exercise with a machine at PT clinic has aggravated it.

I hopefully only have 2 more sessions with the therapist and will ask to skip that exercise. The ones I do at home seem to be fine.

Take my dad to the oncologist tomorrow. I am glad I can do this for him, but am not looking forward to several hours in the car with my back.

--------------------
Hiker53

Posts: 8880 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did my shoulder exercises at home this morning.

Drove the hour to my folks and took dad to the oncologist. He is opting for radiation. It is either radiation, cut off his ear, or do nothing. We each took lollipops on our way out. My 96 year old dad took two. [Big Grin]

Decided not to stay there for dinner as I hate driving in the dark and I wanted to get more icing done with my back. Some improvement since yesterday.

--------------------
Hiker53

aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Home PT then hit the Y. 30 minutes on the treadmill walking and slow jogging then baked in the sauna for 15 minutes. Quick shower then home for a lot errand running with Mom. Finished up about 7:00.

BTW, it was too hot to wash the car and clean the inside yesterday. Have to wait til it gets cooler.

No studying today!

Hiker glad to hear your back is feeling better! Sure hope the radiation does the trick and isn't to hard on your Dad. Your 2 lollipop Dad sounds *****y!

Time to zone out!

[sleepy]

--------------------

Alaska Lone Wolf

aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why did it edit s p u n k y?

--------------------

Alaska Lone Wolf

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's funny, AK!!! Weird, but funny!!

The awards show was really good. It lasted 3 hours. One year it was nearly 5 hours long, so now they work hard to keep it short.

Always good entertainment from the best!!

I went to church today and we put 350 boxes together!! There were only 4 of us working. We worked about 3 hours and also got some inventory done. I also got my haircut. Was so exhausted when I came home. Got a nap of about an hour.

They are working on paving our streets in the subdivision. I didn't get much sleep last night because I woke up early (5 ish) to check on the weather reports.

Well, it rained all day and the paving was canceled. Now I have to do the same thing tomorrow. This time I plan to get up around 7 am. and look for the email from the HOA.

We have to move our cars by 7:50 am. .. just hope we can find a parking space. They will bring us back up the hill in the golf cart.

I don't have to go anywhere tomorrow except Bible study, which is upstairs. We are nearing the end of our book THE BOOK OF SIGNS. It's really awesome!!

OK .. gotta hit the hay!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Did my shoulder exercises at home. Also did some stretches for my back, gluts, quads, and hamstrings to try and relieve tension on back.

Got my hair cut. Tutu--we are on the same haircut schedule, it seems.

Went to chiropractor and will hope this continues to help my back. Going to go ice my back now.

--------------------
Hiker53

aklnwlf
Member # 5960

At home PT and arm routine then Mom and I went to the wellness center. I did my 30 minutes of Zumba and Mom kicked butt on the NuStep.

Afterwards went to get a visitor's badge at Ft Benning that's good for one year. Now my Mom doesn't need to go if she's not up to getting her meds, commissary shopping, etc.

TuTu way to go on the boxes for OCC! Hard to believe Christmas is right around the corner! I've bought just a couple of gifts so far. Bet you're relieved to have a down day tomorrow!

Hiker how's your back feeling? Chiro helping? BTW, I forgot to try the exercise ball at the wellness center today. Will try Friday.

Well....off to veg!

[hi]

--------------------

Alaska Lone Wolf

lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I fixed my phone so I can use it when I’m away. I turned cellular data off by mistake awhile ago. I can’t keep up with everyday chores like I used to. Its depressing. I know I’m used to doing more than some ppl with chronic illness. I’m still trying to make my small house and yard right to get old in. It’s been 7.5 years and I’m close to having it done. But I haven’t been able to keep up with dishes laundry lawn garden beds for a year. I have money to pay a reasonable amount for help but I can’t find help. The good ones want 40-50 and more an hour. The bad ones walk in circles and talk on their phones. And they all smell like dryer sheets I have to face I need help because it is getting dangerous. I can’t bend now to pick stuff up off the floor and I constantly drop things bc my hands are bad with arthritis. So it stays there weeks and I almost trip and I know one fall...one broken bone and I will be in nursing home and that will be the end of me. My dog is only 8. She’s supposed to live til 18. And she’s quirky. I know my kids won’t take her. She’s my biggest motivation now. I came out to buy coffee this morning because a few days ago I dropped a full pot of coffee on top of stove. The coffee all ran down into stove. Pilots still work so it’s not dangerous but I don’t want to make it hot in there til I clean out the coffee. I got the top up but it is going to take days for me to do this. It helps me to focus on what I can do so I plan to come here and list the positives so I can go back and see I do accomplish some stuff. Yesterday I brought two new window AC s into house because it will freeze soon. I moved them to back room I use as storeroom since I don’t have attic or cellar. I had to move some totes and take down folding table I used as desk once to make room. I also took two trash cans out to road and brought one half way back. I had to do it in wheelchair tho. I also went thru a bunch of stuff on many flat surfaces trying to find remote for living room tv. I think it’s been missing a month or more. I didn’t find it. Last week I moved all furniture in room and vacuumed but didn’t find it. I lose things a lot but usually find them eventually so I try not to stress over it. Well. It’s good to be back. I’m different. Getting old I guess.

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

LP--Glad you are back on the thread. You really do a lot and that impresses me. The more you can move the better off you will be.

I went to PT for my shoulder today and I graduated!! So happy. [woohoo]

I will continue exercises 5-6 times per week for 3-4 months and then drop down to 3 times a week for life.

I get two weeks off from the clinic before I start balance therapy.

I went to Bible study this morning.

Also went grocery shopping. Think I will celebrate with triple chocolate fudge nondairy (coconut milk) ice cream tonight!

--------------------
Hiker53

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Congratulations, hiker!! Woot woot! I sure hope the balance therapy helps you!

LP.. the coffee thing sounds awful. I'm so sorry! I sure hope you can find the remote! You have a lot on your plate; just keep scraping the junk off. (a little joke!)

By the way, my post about the boxes meant EMPTY boxes. Our next job is to put calendar pics and Bible verses in the lids. We love doing that!

I went to my GP today about my shoulder. It's been a problem for at least 7 years. First it was annoying, then got worse.

So three years ago I was sent to therapy for it after an MRI showed an inflamed muscle running down my arm from the shoulder.

He first thought it was a rotator cuff issue. Well now today he looked at the old MRI and said yes, it's the rotator cuff and tendonitis.

I'm like WHAT??? So now he's sending me to a REAL therapy place. It's the same one I went to for my hip. They are very good there.

My other place is a place where a chiro runs everything with a PT so far in the background that you never see him. I've been there a million times and have seen the PT about three times. The PT has never touched me. He's just there once in awhile.

I now go to this place for traction on my lower back. Thankfully, that is helping.

Our subdivision had to stop trying to do the roads this week due to the rain. They will start on it again on Monday. I will be very happy when that is over!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi nlif! I used to come here a lot. Then didn’t. It will be good for me to come back. Today I walked dog 10-15 min inear my house. And washed A LOT of dishes. I ended up watering flowers and trees 2 hrs while it was raining. The rain is so light it never gets to roots and lots of things are dying. I mostly did not use walker or wheelchair so I was standing and walking for all that time. That’s a lot for me. I also gave dog a bath. She was way over due. And transplanted some baby Christmas cactus into their own pots. now have 8 I think. I hope to have one more yard sale. Maybe I can sell the baby plants. I also did a little weeding in the rain while I was watering. I still need to clean the stove. But not tonight. It’s been so long since I posted here how many hours I rode and kayaked and walked. I miss those days. But changes happen. At least I’m still here.” No Lyme “... where are you in Florida? I have a brother in Cape Coral. Good night everyone. See you tomorrow.

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Hey there Kayak! Long time no see! Glad you're back and taking one day at a time. I love to look back and remember all the things I've done. Don't think I can strap on the old crampons and grab an ice ax for winter hiking in AK again but I swear, some days I can still smell the crispness of those icy mountains! Dancing at Zumba class reminds me of dancing under the Northern lights!

We've got memories my friend to cherish forever!

So today I did my at home PT and hit the Y for treadmill and sauna time. Slow jogged for 20 and fast walked for 10 minutes. Kinda tweaked my left knee so nixing the jogging.

Then took Mom to get RX at Ft Benning and it took 2 hours! They can be so busy!

Oh, also went to the library from 6:30-9:30 this evening to participate in a short foreign and domestic film festival held by Manhattan Short. Participants from certain locations in the world judge which of 10 films is the best and also there's a best actor category. Can't believe my little city is one of the locations.

Hiker happy graduation day! The triple chocolate coconut ice cream was an excellent choice to help you celebrate!

TuTu it's about time they sent you to therapy for the shoulder! I had a small tear in my right rotator cuff and they were able to rehab it with just PT. Hope and pray you have similar results.

Well...need to try and sleep. Have my dreaded GP appointment in the a.m. She's a real task master when it comes to my weight. Still not where I should be but am lighter than the last time I was there.

Night everyone!

[hi]

--------------------

Alaska Lone Wolf

hiker53
Member # 6046

Shoulder exercises this morning.

Worked on back stretches. Of course the domino effect happened and I now have pain in my hip area.

Did a load of laundry and made zucchini bread.

Rainy day here so not running errands.

Everyone sounds busy. Tutu—so great that you do OCC.

AK- you are a gem of a daughter. Glad your mom has you there.

Lp-keep on “trucking”. Slow but steady wins the race.

NLIF—hope Antabuse has not been too rough this week.

--------------------
Hiker53

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Today I made a two calls and confirmed a guy to mow lawn and a friend who will do some house cleaning. I hope she can drive me to the gi procedure too. Twice when I was making meals I scrubbed some of inside of stove. It hurts my hands shoulders and legs... but it looking better. I also spread out a huge tarp to dry in sun so I can fold it and put it away. Then we drive to ocean. I walked a short way with Etta but she was on long leash and she ran and played crazy for half hour. Mostly I sat and laughed at her. The air was wonderful. Congrats Ann on graduating! Tutu I always wondered about your shoulder way back. It was confusing. Sounds like you might get real help this time. AK you are so busy. I’m
Glad you are as well as you are.

--------------------

lpkayak
Member # 5230

This morning I turned the tarp over to dry the other side. I started to pay bills but my eyes burn and tear so much I can’t see screen so I put a cold wet face cloth on them and listened to the voice. Then I tried to call the place I bought lawn mower from it worked 2x now won’t take charge. I waited a long time on hold. Then they hung up on me. Yesterday bank lady helped me get their app so I could see my account online. I have done bills online and auto for years but a year ago this one bank s site wouldn’t work for me with computer. So she put app on my phone but now I have to open my phone with my fingerprint every time I pick it up. It’s less than 24 hrs and it’s driving me nuts.
Today I also found my orthotics. They have been missing for awhile. I’m so glad I found them. If I could find the living room remote and my pain supplement my life would be so much easier.

--------------------

lpkayak
Member # 5230

I also moved a part of a plastic storage container thst broke. It was near where they will put the shed on the 24th and it was cool this morning so I moved it. I had to wash it. It was covered with hundreds of baby skeeters.

I also started huge load of laundry and put stove back together even tho I didn’t do a very good job of cleaning inside. I needed to make coffee. Yesterday I went out to buy it.

--------------------

hiker53
Member # 6046

Did my shoulder and back exercises. With icing it takes an hour.

Cooked and froze some meals.

Did a load of laundry. Pulled it out of the dryer and realized I forgot to wash 2 items. Oh well, they can stay in the laundry basket until the end of the week.

Zipped to the library.

Am taping the world track and field championships. I ran track years ago in high school and a little bit in college, so am a big fan.

--------------------
Hiker53

aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Zoned out yesterday and didn't post but did my usual home PT, arm routine and Zumba class.

Today went to the Y and since my knee is still bothering me from slow jogging the last time I was there I changed my routine.

So today I did 10 minutes rowing and 20 on the elliptical. The elliptical was a harder workout but easier on the knees. So think I'm switching for awhile. 15 minutes in the sauna a quick shower then went and picked up a gluten free pizza.

Going to a show tonight with Mom and her BFF and looking forward to having a good time.

Kayak good to see you back here! You're getting a lot done at your place. Hope the yard guy and the person that's going to clean for you work out. Sure hope the remote and pain supps turn up!

Hiker way to go on the home PT! I think I'm going to be doing my back and neck ones forever too. BTW, we have a sale, $7.99, for the gluten free pizzas down here at Dominoes. I hope they have it for awhile.

See everyone tomorrow!

[hi]

--------------------

Alaska Lone Wolf

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Hey gang .. I did read and catch up... Have to hit the hay so we can get up for our 30th anniversary for our church tomorrow.

We have a big celebration planned with special singers. It will be awesome.

I made deviled eggs and a sweet salad with cherry pie filling, cool whip and crushed pineapple. Remember that one?

NITE!!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Hi. I’ve had trouble walking all day even with my nsaids and muscle relaxants but I kept moving all day with rests with heat on back. I watered the front. It took over an hour. I started day going to Home Depot to buy 25. Of soil. My garden beds need fertilizer and this stuff was cheap and seemed good. I had to spend the 25. Reward I got for buying fridge. But they don’t have much help there to load soil and I was in pain and afraid I would start crying but I tried to stay positive and it all worked out. At home I dragged them out of car and dropped on dolly and moved them close to where I needed them. I actually did a bunch of other stuff but can’t remember what. I got gas too . Tried to walk Etta but only lasted about 5 min. So I’m happy about today after the way it started.

--------------------

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement