LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Off Topic » a friendly suggestion for Kara

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: a friendly suggestion for Kara
danq
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 2126

Icon 7 posted      Profile for danq   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and those who read all her posts:

Dear Kara,
I'm sure you think all those articles you post are of interest to Lymenetters, and I'll bet lots of them are. But when you post so many times every day, it floods the board and other topics that people are discussing get pushed way down, way too fast.

That makes following those topics more difficult... and it makes it so if someone else has something interesting to share or discuss, it's less likely to be noticed.

So your many, many posts are making this section harder for people to use. I'm sure you don't want to be inconveniencing people, so here's a suggestion:

How about gathering up your day's worth of those articles into one post, or two, and call it "Kara's articles for Friday May 13" or "Kara's Friday Morning posts" and "Kara's Friday Night News" or something like that?

If someone wants to discuss an article, then they could open a new post to do that.

That way, everyone who's interested gets the benefit of your pointing out those articles, and can discuss those of interest; but it doesn't take up the whole forum with posts that nobody is responding to.

How about it?

Thanks,

Dan

[This message has been edited by danq (edited 12 May 2005).]

Posts: 2420 | From Davis, California | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weeza3
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6071

Icon 12 posted      Profile for weeza3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a reasonable idea, Dan.

Kara, you are appreciated for the effort you go to in finding interesting material to read. There are those times though as Dan mentioned that topics scroll by too quickly though when some folks don't get to OT. every day.

Perhaps some food for thought.

Posts: 701 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LabRat
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LabRat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I vote to keep it the way it is. Most of the posts need to be ``flushed'' anyway so we can start nitpicking a new ``old'', subject. If something is of interest it can be floated back up to the top. If there is no interest in replies, away it goes!

------------------

Posts: 1887 | From Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loribelle
Member # 6293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loribelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
haha, you've got a point there, Labrat!
Posts: 1149 | From southeast iowa | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry --

But I have to agree.
The issue is simply thread topic space.
For each article to take up it's own thread topic slot..it's definately effecting the atmosphere of discussion, by default.

I know folks can just open page two--or three--but most don't do that and OT is less frequented than the other boards.

15-20 new topic spaces per day pushes allot off the page. I really don't think it's a matter of 'what is of interest' ..
it's hard to keep up with topics unless you are able to check OT a couple of times a day.

I for one love parusing the articles that Kara puts up, and I appreciate them allot..
Keeps me up on the latest happenings!
but (and I'm sure this was unintentional on Kara's part)..
I have noticed that topics posted for discussion by all other members are very quickly buried (in OT time).

It's nice to have lots of topics going and staying.. getting time on the board.

I like the idea of compiling them into even just a few posts, because that gives others a chance to utilize the board space as well..
or to pull an article out for discussion..

and other posters stuff won't get 'lost', nor would we loose access to the articles.

Mo

[This message has been edited by Mo (edited 12 May 2005).]

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LabRat
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LabRat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Mzzz mo, I understand how you feel, I felt the same way too, (see, I'm identifying with you), but when I checked into it, (see, I'm working on this problem with you), I found that certain people liked to paste up propaganda and they want it to stay up long after most posters were sick to death of it! So you see (here comes the solution), when you slap your propaganda up and then have to add to or answer it in order to keep it in sight would, after awhile tend to embarrass most people. More importantly, it mercifully gives the rest of us a break! I therefore and herewith (whatever that means) request everything stays as is.

------------------

Posts: 1887 | From Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You silly goose.

How is it you manage to turn everything toward my meeger existance.

..and you do have that nifty little scroll button at your disposal.. at all times enabling you to blow by my scattered topics ...

I know you'd like me to go away (but then who would you have left to pick on?)..but the point here is concerning the use of the board by everyone.

Mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LabRat
Member # 78

Everybody? Just two whinnying lefties so far. This will probably come down to a left wing/right wing argument. The lefties want to put up propaganda and have it hang around so they don't have to sit around thinking up a new twist on an old boring subject.

The only fair way to those tired of the hate America first propaganda is pay kara to wallpaper over it. If there is an interest in a debate or questions, the subject stays up as long as there is an interest. I really don't want to see OT become a clothesline for anti war/Bush and America is bad propaganda. Anyone interested in that can go to a message board at one of our intuitions of higher learning like UC or U Colorado, failing that, ask mo or quackard!

Po mo, life is full of trip wires and landmines. I picture you in your faded pink bathrobe hitting a trip wire and...poof, lots of pink fuz. sort of a coyote and roadrunner cartoon thing!

------------------

[This message has been edited by LabRat (edited 12 May 2005).]

Loribelle
Member # 6293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loribelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
personally i guess i would just like to see MORE people post on WHATEVER. get some more personal interests going up. maybe i post too much too? i never saw the number of any one person's posts as a problem but i usually check in a few times a day when i ck my email, so i have no problem keeping up... a few have complained tho, so maybe what Danq suggested is not a bad idea.

you gotta admit though that sometimes it IS nice to have the "whooooosh" effect of a lot of posts! Ha Ha! keep things movin'

Posts: 1149 | From southeast iowa | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue vG
Member # 3143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue vG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I vote Whoosh.
Posts: 1307 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm..

This seems to be becoming a political issue..
is the 'whoosh' factor a sort of passive censorship?

(not you, Kara I am always refreshed by your neutral stance, and I think you are not intending to 'whoosh' )

Mo

[This message has been edited by Mo (edited 12 May 2005).]

Loribelle
Member # 6293

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Loribelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
haha, Mo, well i didn't mean it that way, hehe but sometimes it IS handy you can always say "up" but never "down, down, down"!

24bit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 24bit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could this possibly be the first time I've ever agreed with Dan and Mo? Scary!
Posts: 600 | From Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue vG
Member # 3143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue vG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...is the 'whoosh' factor a sort of passive censorship?"

Sheesh. If a thread has general interest, it always seems to find its way back to the top regardless of its merit. I personally find Kara's topics interesting and don't think we need to prevail upon her to do things one way or another.

[This message has been edited by Sue vG (edited 13 May 2005).]

Posts: 1307 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sometimes wish this forum was more used to post things that aren't political, upsetting, etc. In the past, before Kara started doing this, there were too many political slugfests, so I quit coming here. So, if Kara cuts back, what will take its place......fusses and fights about the same old things that make me turn off my radio and TV? And I found that people I thought were just regular folks were displaying outlandish views in some area I would never have suspected. Maybe they would think the same about me. Better not to know these things about people, because I come to lymenet for info and some feeling of solidarity against a world not so friendly to sick people.

I suppose it is asking too much for people to be polite and neutral and keep out of contentious areas.

But I still want to hear about Loribelle's garden and Mo's boxes and other things that are not upsetting.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weeza3
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for weeza3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's nice to hear Lou and a very healthy perspective I think. You're right that the "political" territory is rife with emotional landmines and best left alone. All it ever amounts to is a forum for criticisims and sarcasm.

Lymenet should be about community, healing and good will towards one another. Thanks for that reminder,

Posts: 701 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JillF
Member # 5553

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JillF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do get tired of having to go several pages in and weed out posts from other people. I usually get annoyed and end up in medical.

Not that I don't enjoy your posts Kara - but I usually have read alot of them already that I or my husband have found on our own.

[This message has been edited by JillF (edited 13 May 2005).]

Posts: 1485 | From USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 12 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Kara's posts....it's stuff I'd probably never run across, now I have to save pennies for a sky car.

As far as the contentiousness if there wasn't an off topic the same stuff'd wind up in Medical, upsetting everybody. Better we have a place like OT to go and do that and if you get your shorts in a knot at least you knew that's the place it'd happen.

LOU...the folks you think are snarly probably aren't in real life. We tend to write creatively....all of us.

I wish somebody'd set up a voice chat...talking is WAY different from typing...I never talked face to face with a lymie I didn't wind up liking.

Charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

OT's had a political 'section' forever..

which became hot topic with the Bush admin, the War, ect..
no escaping the great divide, I guess.

I spent a year with my head buried mainly in Medical, and now I find it hard to spend too much time over there.
Tho -- not free of the grips of Lyme, I like coming here to expand my cranium

Was a time I couldn't spell. Ooops, I still can't do that..but I like doing mental push-ups

The problem, IMHO, is when individuals attack personally..no call for that and it's against forum policy.

There was a time last summer that things got very sour around a particular source that believe it or not wasn't the politics, but intense personal attack. Way out of line. It's still happening at times, but not near as bad as it got.

I hope the moderators do a better job of containing it, sometimes OT looses out on moderating attention, I guess.

By the way..
I like Kara's posts very much..

The idea of condensing..to even five
(or so?) heading spots a day, or something like that..and they could contain ultimately the same amount of links so we could still get to read everything)
is just in the interest of all other topics staying on the page a little while..that's all that's being suggested.

Chatfest? I think we need a big ole' barbeque

Wouldn't that be a hoot!

Mo

[This message has been edited by Mo (edited 13 May 2005).]

charlie
Member # 25

Icon 6 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mo (and others) I think you need to come to the lyme float in late June.
Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Hmm..

I'm curious. What is it, exactly..

A parade? Is it white water rafting?

If so -- I think Labrat and I should go down the river together..
Think we'd be short a passenger at the end of the run?

Seriously.. where is this shin-dig going down?

Mo

[This message has been edited by Mo (edited 14 May 2005).]

danq
Member # 2126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for danq   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here ya go, Mo:

Lyme float 2005!!!!

be sure to read the whole mess!

[This message has been edited by danq (edited 14 May 2005).]

Posts: 2420 | From Davis, California | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I'm sorry I clicked on Dan's link. Making me eat my heart out to go. Got a kayak that hasn't been used in 5 years or more, thinking of selling it. Between the hickman cathether, bad back, messed up joints, light sensitivity, and sometimes meds that prevent me from getting sun on skin......keeping me under house arrest.

Barbeque sounds good, float sounds good, Lake Tahoe sounds good.....going stir crazy here.

P.S. I do wish the moderators would prevent personal attacks. This is out of line and contrary to an on-line support group purpose.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LabRat
Member # 78

NoMo, It started in Oct. 2002, when comrade Quackard gave his infamous, "no defence in our name" speach! Some members had started picketing and some mild demonstrations were taking place to bring attention to Lyme sufferers. Lymenet was seen as ripe for radicalization, all we needed was a leader, a man with vision, you know, a commie professor! Here's his first, (but not last), attempt to become our glorious handler.

Okay, this is blatantly political.
If you think we should invade Iraq, this is not for you. You can just click off this page and close it. And you can call me any names you want, but you are fooling yourself if you think that I and others like me are not patriotic or courageous. Look at yourself. It takes no courage to stand with the mob at a lynching.

The war has not started yet.
Next year, when the carnage is counted, do you want to remember that you did nothing to stop it? Do you want to tell your children, your grandchildren, "well, I didn't agree with it, but no, I didn't protest it"?
Over 400,000 people in England stood up last week and said what they think about George Bush's plans to invade Iraq.
This Sunday is your chance to stand up with other patriotic American citizens, and tell our government that we do not want them perpetrating a massacre in our name.
It's going to be easy. There will be thousands of other people there. All you have to do is be there. Every person counts.
For there to be 10,000 people, there need to be 10,000 individuals- that's you - to show up.
You don't need to carry a sign.
You don't need to shout.
You just have to be there.
This is where to go to find out about the demonstration nearest you:
Not in Our Name
Do something that you will be proud of.

Dan Quickert
[email protected]
P.S. I don't need any responses to this post; those of you who agree, can do what you feel is best. Those of you who disagree, can do what you feel is best.
[This message has been edited by danq (edited 03 October 2002).]

Computers are a lot like veterans, they never forget, ask fonda!

------------------

Loribelle
Member # 6293

(sigh) tsk, tsk, tsk... mr rodentski, you are a pill aren't you?

i am guessing we won't have to worry about Kara's posts. i think it is too bad if she was/is offended by this thread enough to leave. i don't think that was anyone's intention and i think everyone has been respectful. except for Labrat maybe

something i notice and am pleased by, is that there are posts by people who hardly ever post. i think that is great! i hope more and more will participate over here i like the variety!

HaplyCarlessdave
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Dan's idea. I think the key to everything is DISCUSSION! Real discussion tends to open peoples eyes. Of course, some people do not like having their eyes opened. Their idea of ...'discussion'... is something like, "I tell you what's what, and you tell me I'm right..." --kind of like their model of a ...'perfect'... school, no doubt. (note that that fits right in with the negative aspects of the 'medical community' in amerika, with which many of us are all too familiar...)

Dialogue amongst sentient human beings is the key to peace and the only path to understanding and true happiness.

Real love, understanding, and happiness cannot even begin to exist in a vacuum.

[This message has been edited by HaplyCarlessdave (edited 14 May 2005).]

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Hey, Lou --

Just wanted to encourage you to hang in there, and consider keeping the kayak.

There is light at the end of the tunnel, and it's pretty hard to remember that on a long road.

I have felt the way you do, about ever doing things again..or even thinking about doing things..

It's going to get better!

One day you'll be hickman free and paddling downstream again.

Mo

[This message has been edited by Mo (edited 14 May 2005).]

LabRat
Member # 78

can't gomo. Can't swim! I dono, maybe an aqualung and a couple of Mae west! Ah hell, never say never, but I'm bringing my "gret" big wife for protection!

I'm only being bice becaues Iv'e hard a couplx.

------------------

[This message has been edited by LabRat (edited 14 May 2005).]

Mo
Member # 2863

Whoah..

did anybody else see that?

Labrat is being sorta nice to me

That must be true then -- that everybody looks better after a few drinks..

Hey Kara --

You about? I truly hope nothing said here was offensive to you.

I would really miss your posts if they stop, I think everyone would.

It's really about freeing up a little more 'front page' space.

Hope you'll weigh in on things.

Mo

[This message has been edited by Mo (edited 15 May 2005).]

LabRat
Member # 78

Well, you know if she stops....everyone (except me), will blame you!

------------------

weeza3
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for weeza3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kara,
I echo Mo's comment to ya too..... I'm sure Dan was thinking like a logical male and made the suggestion in the best of spirit.

I too hope you'll keep offering your topics in some of the suggestions offered.

C'mon and play with us, please.

cootiegirl
Member # 3216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cootiegirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay,
I absolutely LOVE Kara's posts - they are unique and thought provoking and I give her a lot of credit for taking the time that she does for putting them up and sharing them.

Why not try a new format for, let's say, one week. Call it "Kara's posts for (whatever the date may be)". She can post links to several of the interesting articles for that day in the post, and if people want to respond, they can either post in that thread or start a new one. We can see if it works better or not. If board members don't like it, then Kara can go back to posting her articles the usual way....

I don't see anything political about this or showing favoritism to one post over another, but simply a way to organize information here. I have to admit, if I'm not here for a couple of days, I do have to scroll back several pages to catch up.

I do not want to see anything happen that would decrease the number of articles that Kara posts because that's what keeps OT unique....

So whaddya say?
cootiegirl

Posts: 1728 | From New York State | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Karas done it
So quit your belly aching
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum4/HTML/004776.html

[This message has been edited by treepatrol (edited 16 May 2005).]

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement