LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Off Topic » One Man's Opinion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: One Man's Opinion
LymeOjai
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One Man's Opinion

Quick background:

My sister, 27 years old, has been diagnosed with Lyme, Babesia and Bartonella. She's been through a rough time for the past 4 years. Lot's of pain, lots of misdiagnosis, and lots of frustration for the entire family. She is on disability with her company and has moved back home with our parents.

My parents are doing their best to help with her treatment. They are also educating themselves on the disease, its treatment and its effects.

My father is a retired SMSgt, USAF and is a member of this network. He has written several posts, asking medical questions, etc. He told me about the help he has received here, thank you, and he also told me about some of the discussions he's had on the ``Off Topic'' forum.

I thought, since I don't have much to do except rest and since I haven't seen anything from someone who has actually served in the war-zone or is currently in uniform, I'd try to give you my impressions of the war.

Disclaimer: My opinions are just that - opinions.

I am not politically motivated. My personal political affiliations are just that - personal .

My view of war is very narrow, and I have no hidden agendas.

I have no desire to preach to anyone, to change anyone's mind nor do I have any desire to tell war stories.

I have no illusions of being an expert on anything.

I would appreciate it if these few paragraphs not go beyond this network.

I'd prefer to choose with whom I share my opinions.

That being said:

1. We are winning the war:

Every battle I have been involved in or have been told about has been a victory. Victory in the sense that we are killing more of them, something like 20:1, than they are hurting us. It's not even a contest.

2. We are helping the Iraqis:

Given sufficient time, troops and solid leadership, there's no doubt about our ability to stabilize the area and defeat the enemy.

The numbers of humanitarian projects our troops are involved in far exceed the number of battles we're engaged in.

3. Can we afford to lose this war?

No, the morale of our troops is excellent now. Withdrawal without victory will destroy that morale and I believe the morale of our country. I'm not sure we can stand another Vietnam type loss.

Withdrawal without victory will destroy our place in the world. If we cannot defeat terrorism in Iraq, who else can?

Withdrawal without victory will be seen by the world as weakness. An al-Qaeda victory, even an assumed one, will strengthen their resolve to control other countries through terrorism, Spain instantly comes to mind.

Without victory, how does one justify the number of KIA or WIA to their parents, their wives/husbands or children?

4. Will terrorist attacks on the U.S. stop if we leave without victory?

NO !! The Islamic fundamentalists are hell-bent on killing all of us. They don't want to change our way of living, they don't want to convert us to Islam, they don't want us alive .

5. Aren't the majority of Muslims peace-loving?

I'm not sure. My guess is that they are; however, the zealots/fundalmentalist/terrorist, whatever name you choose, would just as soon kill one of their own as they would one of us.

That's not exactly true, they'd much rather kill an American, but they won't hesitate to do either.

The Islamic terrorists do not care about anyone's religious freedom or thoughts. If you are Muslim and you don't think like them, you are not worthy to live.

If you are not Muslim, you are not worthy to live.

They will see to it that you don't.

They have shown their brutality in doing so; internet beheadings, hanging corpses on bridges, flying airplanes into buildings, etc.

I read a report concerning al-Qaeda's plan to turn the entire world into an Islamic state. They've even written a seven phase plan (authored by al-Zarqawi):

Phase 1: awakening the consciousness of all true Mulims
Phase 2: open the eyes of the infidel to the power of Islam
Phase 3: the arising and standing up by increasing attacks against Turkey and Israel
Phase 4: the downfall of Saudi Arabia and Jordan regimes
Phase 5: declaring the caliphate or true world leader
Phase 6: total confrontation between the true believers and non-believers
Phase 7: definitive victory
All of this to be completed by 2020.

6. How can we win?

We must be united in our purpose, just as united as our enemy.

We have the best equipment, the best training and the best people; no one else can place a better fighting force in the field of battle than ours.

It's time we got our head out of our a**, remembering the lives that have been taken from us, and put all of our resources and efforts into doing this thing right.

This war did not start on September 11, 2001. This war started in 1979 with the Iranian hostage takeover.

There have been as many as 8,000 terrorist attacks world-wide since that time and they have occurred during the administration of 5 different U.S. presidents.

We didn't start the war.

The military didn't even get to choose where the battle was going to be fought, but we're there now, the enemy is coming to us and we are kicking his butt up between his shoulder-blades.

I'd much rather go into the streets of Baghdad or Tehran to win this war than to fight it here in the streets of Southern Calif.

But we'll never accomplish anything unless we do it as a united people.

The devisiveness, the politicalization and the bitterness we're showing the world, to include al-Qaeda, is going to cause us great harm.

If we remain this split as a people, we don't stand a chance against our enemy.

Okay, I've probably said too much already, so I'm done now.

Semper Fi

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Semper Fi --

I want to say a couple of your posts have been really refreshing.

Peolple on either side of the spectrum on the particulars of this War need to start talking and listening to eachother.

For so long there has been no discussion in detail regarding support of staying the present course in this War.

I'm glad a discussion has begun.

To intruduce myself, I was diagnosed in '02, along with my then 10 month old, and then 12 year old son..
my son was on IV and out of school for 2 years, down for the count..
blackout, seizure, vegetable state, and now he is doing much better.

I too, am not serving any political agenda.

I have never served in the military, tho I have family who do..
however I was on the front lines of the NYC attacks.

I couldn't have more respect for anyone who has served..and I want to give a heartfelt thank you for your service.

Your point of view is prudent to consider in understanding what is happening, as is that of Americans who are not in service, as the stakes involve War on our soil, and the type of lives our kids will live as a result of what is happening now.

I want to try and diffuse the
'pro-War vs anti-War' .. 'us against them' thing.
many times, any discussion becomes a mud slinging fest and there is little address of content.

I intend to get back to this and post on some of the points you raise..
but wished to first post a little about where I'm coming from, and many of the NYers who exoperienced the attacks and are very concerned
about how the higher administrators have handled this War from it's inception to present.

There is a deep, gut fear which propels many of us to see this with allot of discernment.
When you get bombed, you are very concerned about National Security... it's that simple.

There are many particulars that deserve at the very least..
to be looked at honestly ..

So ..when I post, that is where I come from.
I am not anti-Bush, anti-Military or anything that rigid.
I am anti-Terrorism and want answers to questions posed by others along the way who belong to various parties, jobs, and outlooks.

Am I upset about things that this admin has done and is doing? Absolutely..but that is based on tangibles.

As far as Iraq - a hard look at what is going on is what I want to see in Congress..
looks like that is just starting to happen.
There is something very wrong with the fact it has taken this long to look at things closely.

The atmosophere throughout the Nation, and continuing has been a kind of Civil War ..
NOONE in this situation should be looking at the 'opposing view' and simply saying they are not worth hearing or responding to.
We all have a very intimate stake in this one, tho from completely different standpoints in some cases.

the Nation and Congress has been totally polarized and meanwhile.........................
we have a War going on.

There's allot to look at and if you are here to be open to discusing points I would think that can only be a good thing!

Cheers,

[Cool] Mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeOjai
Unregistered

Touche
24bit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 24bit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LO, you'll soon see for yourself that there's really no discussion at all.....rather a lecture. [dizzy]
Posts: 600 | From Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I vote for discussion!!!!!!!!
meeting of the minds, that sort of thing.

but I'm too tired to have one. Imagine that..after all this time..

But -- tomorrow is another day.

Mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LabRat
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LabRat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did I hear right? We're going to have reason rule? Seems like, in the back of me mind, I hear, beware of ----bearing gifts?

Ya know, we have the lefties out numbered. This is starting to be fun!

Posts: 1887 | From Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loribelle
Member # 6293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loribelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LymeOjai,

I must say that you have renewed my interest in OT.

I am wondering "Who's Your Daddy?" [Wink] screen name I mean. You remind me of someone...

I have questions about your service; where, etc... I won't ask because the need for privacy is more than my need to know [Smile] How long do you get for leave?

Posts: 1149 | From southeast iowa | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeOjai
Unregistered

I don't think he'll mind, I believe he's LymeDad.

I'm home for a convalescent leave - undetermined length. I'm here through Christmas it looks like, Mom's cooking and all.

Thanks for asking.

LymeOjai
Unregistered

Loribelle,

I've thought about your question of where I've served, etc.

I think I'll just say I have 15 years time-in-service. I've been a lots of places, seen lots of things, done lots of things in the past 15 years.

I don't want any of my circumstances to prevent others from speaking their mind, so I'll just leave it at that.

Let me also say, I'm just an American serviceman, nothing more, nothing less. I have no insights into the politics of this war or the mind of the terrorists, just what I've read and observed.

I only have a couple of things going for me right now. I have time on my hands, great parents and I'm enjoying the opportunity to write my opinions, I think it's therapeutic.

Let me also say, there are more people serving in uniform today who have differing views of politics than I have. With a sizeable number of "citizen-soldiers" currently on active duty, I'm hearing some different views on politics than I'm used to hearing from my fellow "lifers".

However, I've not experienced a lot of dissension amongst the troops I've served with concerning this war on terrorism. Almost to a person they all seem to agree with getting it done now before it grows any bigger.

Okay I'm done now - Semper Fi

Loribelle
Member # 6293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loribelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think your dad is quite cool [Smile]

Sorry about the convalescent leave, whatever your circumstances. Good to have time with your family though! I'm sure your mother is happy to cook for you [Smile]

Speaking of cooking, I am throwing together a couple of sweet potato pies and a big fresh apple salad, plus a batch of my famous (yes I am bragging) wild rice stuffing for tomorrow [Big Grin] Taking my breaks on the computer obviously instead of with the vaccuum cleaner like I should!

S0 - looks like we will be getting to know you around here [Smile]

Have a Happy Thanksgiving [hi]

Posts: 1149 | From southeast iowa | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeOjai
Unregistered

Happy Thanksgiving

It's good to be around family.

ponytail
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ponytail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there and welcome to the lymenet!

I'm very sorry that your sister is experiencing this illness(s) but from the little I've read regarding your family - she seems lucky to have such a supportive group of you.

In introduction, I discovered this site during 2000 - not sure what took me so long as I was diagnosed and began treatment during 1999! Maybe it wasn't here then!

I do know at the time I happened in here, I was really sick and really scared. I'm a strong person by nature - a fighter. But the effects of this illness had beat me down.

I've probably had lyme forever; however, symptomatic since 1985.

I know about misdiagnosis!

Since the lyme dx, they have also found Babesia and Bartonella. Unfortunately for me, they didn't find the latter 2 until 2 years into my actual treatment!

While I am now experiencing fewer symptoms, I am stil unable to maintain thought process or energy level enough to work. My hands frequently numb and lose grip etc.

The career I had built over 17 years is gone. I know I whined so many times about work but, now that I have none - I'm missing it!! Long story short - can't work or play!!!

Unknowingly passed to daughter gestationally and took 12 of her years to find that out. She's pretty sick but, still able to attend school so far. Now 15, she's experiencing the want to but not the able to for most things!

Found out husband is positive for at least lyme. While only showing subtle symptoms, he has been in treatment since 2002.

Last Christmas, my mom agreed to be tested. She was positive as well.

This site has provided support when I needed it. Information and education and quite a bit of humor!!

While I read here often, I'm not prone to post all the time! Mainly because my brain is so scrambled I tend to keep going and going and going and say nothing!!

But, I try!

So - glad to read some of your posts and hoping that one will soon say your sister is recovering and doing well.

. . . and that whatever the reason for your leave has improved the way you need it to! From your posts, you enjoy your work and believe in what you do! What a gift!

Take care - Sherry

--------------------
 -

Posts: 704 | From Huntsville, Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loribelle
Member # 6293

As you know, MARINES are always taught 1) Keep your priorities in order and 2) Know when to act without hesitation.

A MARINE was attending some college courses between assignments. He had completed missions in Iraq and Afghanistan.

One of the courses had a professor who was an avowed atheist and a member of the ACLU. One day he shocked the class when he came in, looked to the ceiling, and flatly stated, "God, if you are real, then I want you to knock me off this platform. I'll give you exactly 15 minutes."

The lecture room fell silent. You could hear a pin drop. Ten minutes went by and the professor proclaimed, "Here I am God. I' m still waiting."

It got down to the last couple of minutes when the MARINE got out of his chair, went up to the professor, and cold-cocked him; knocking him off the platform. The professor was out cold. The MARINE went back to his seat and sat there, silently.

The other students were shocked and stunned and sat there looking on in silence.

The professor eventually came to, noticeably shaken, looked at the MARINE and asked, "What the hell is the matter with you? Why did you did that?"

The MARINE calmly replied, "God was too busy today protecting America's soldiers - so He sent me."

[Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement