LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Off Topic » Get your new Child ID Card (complete w/ fingerprints and DNA sample)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Get your new Child ID Card (complete w/ fingerprints and DNA sample)
tequeslady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6832

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tequeslady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not believing this stuff..

http://www.kidsafeid.com/

Guess what? You can get an ID card for your child. They'll even send you a free fingerprint kit and... a free DNA kit.

Posts: 856 | From Texas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
believe3
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for believe3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel stupid. I paid 19.95 for the same type of kit for my kids.

Oh well at least I have their fingerprints and stuff...

--------------------
Love, Merrie
Believe in the power of your spirit..for it will carry you through the darkest hours of your life

Posts: 261 | From minnesota | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymedad
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8074

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymedad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
believe3

I don't think you should feel stupid. If my kids were young I would do the same thing.

A parent trying to protect their child is not a bad thing.

Child kidnapping/molestation is a reality of our society, anything and everything a parent can do to keep their child safe is important.

There are a lot of paranoid people in America, assuming that "Big Brother" has their hands in every aspect of life.

There are agencies out there that actually are trying to help.

Posts: 681 | From California | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tequeslady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6832

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tequeslady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How is this more effective than having a laminated ID card on them with name, address and phone number, that any parent could create themselves?

They (SafeID) says that they don't keep the information... at least that's what it sounds like to me. If they don't keep the information in a database, what use is the DNA?

If the card is truly just to help locate the parents in case the child gets lost, why are fingerprints and DNA needed?

I wouldn't have my child get one of these, but as long as it is voluntary, it's all nice and fine. I certainly would not like it if it became mandatory.

============================================
From the website:

How does a child ID work effectively?
Each child will have approximately 3-5 ID cards. Not only should parents have a copy of the child's ID card, but any family member, baby-sitter, caregiver, or institution who is responsible for supervising the child at any given time should also carry a current copy of the child's ID card. It must be readily available to all care-givers in the event that it is needed. Older children who are out and about on their own should carry a copy of the card just in case they are injured and unable to communicate.

How are the cards used if a child becomes missing?
The cards are a resource used by care-givers to immediately enlist assistance to help locate the child.

Do you keep a database of child information?

KIDSAFE ID does NOT maintain a database of child information. Once you log out of the order site, the information entered to make the ID card is automatically deleted. The only complete record of your order is the actual card itself.

Posts: 856 | From Texas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MagicAcorn
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MagicAcorn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Child kipnapping is some what prevalent. If the parents have a sample of their child's DNA (and just the parents)then detectives can find someone's child possibly by rummaging through a suspects garbage if the worst did happen.

Believe3 do not feel stupid if just the parents have this I see no problems, only potential benefits.

Acorn

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1279 | From In hiding | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
believe3
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for believe3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks....I just want to protect them...

I tell ya it was pretty interesting trying to fingerprint a 2 year old. Talk about comedy...I had fingerprints everywhere...ha ha ha!!

--------------------
Love, Merrie
Believe in the power of your spirit..for it will carry you through the darkest hours of your life

Posts: 261 | From minnesota | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tequeslady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6832

I'll bet that was an experience. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by believe3:
Thanks....I just want to protect them...

I tell ya it was pretty interesting trying to fingerprint a 2 year old. Talk about comedy...I had fingerprints everywhere...ha ha ha!!

tequeslady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6832

Folks, this is my concern about this stuff. Not just with kidsafe website, but in general.

We get used to fingerprinting and gathering DNA on our children for a voluntary ID card.

RFID chips are becoming very popular among young adults. Hey, it's the new technology. Sounds cool. Just embed one in your arm and you can use it to open your garage door, turn on lights, sync with TIVO, and on and on. Hey, I like to get all the new technology too. I'll pass on this though.

We get used to or conditioned to having or using this stuff.

Then, it will become mandatory with all the information in a database. But, it happens so slowly that we don't really notice it. That, I would have a serious problem with. Major invasion of privacy.

The only kind of example I can think of is this...

Sometimes I like to take a really hot bath. If you make it as hot as you want to, before you get in, ever notice what a shock it is to your body when you stick your foot in the tub. You yank your foot right out of the tub. Lots of times, at least I, have to add a lot more cold water.

But, if you started the bath water off a little cooler, got in and let your body acclimate to the temperature, you could turn the hot water on ... hotter and hotter and you wouldn't hardly notice it, getting it much hotter than when you first tried to get in the tub with the hot water.

Hope this wasn't majorly confusing. Bottom line... small incremental changes aren't noticed as much as one HUGE change.

Sure, you're right, as long as they're not storing the information anywhere, and if it's voluntary, it's not a problem. I am just concerned where they could take this, because our government is doing a lot of exploration on the chips now.

Just concerned...

lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The dna sample is probably used to give parents closure when remnants of a person are found far from home and unrecognizable.

By the way...your use of this bathtub analogy is getting kinda stale...

Initially insulting...

Try to contain your need to educate those who don't need your tutoring.

[sleepy]

zman

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely we should be concerned about where these technologies could take us.

At face value, and with kidsafe the technology sure seems helpful.
Again, I am not understanding the DNA collection, because you can have that on record anyway medically, or get it from your home if a child goes missing.

Of course we should be paying attention that this does not slowly integrate society.
These are just the kinds of things you need to be educated on and wary to see problems coming down the pike.
It is very wise to look ahead and not blindly trust the future implications of this kind of technology and data basing.

Then there is that company in Chicago that has implanted two employees, so they can 'get into a secure location'...
sounds sort of OK, but where will it end?

They are talking about chipping our drivers' licences..
are proposing a bill where all medical info is electronically stored on an internet database with NO privacy protections written into that bill..
big probliems as Lymies should know.

So then, a cop can scan you from his car and know everything there is to know about you in a flash (perhaps eventually even the medical stuff...who knows).

Wouldn't some of you have a problem if you imagined fast forwarding to a situation like that?

Would you be comfortable with all of that?
And don't you see problems for potential misunderstandings, ect, ect..aside from invasion of privacy -- which this country has guarded with very good reason.
Full blown, this would be a high tech police state.

I think the implications make it such that it is at least important to keep track and stand ready to fight things going much further.

( and maybe learn a few at home surgery techniques in case these chips become mandatory as protection we will be told - from scary things and terrorists [Eek!] )

imagine that....

Charlie is working on my fake ID's,
hey dooood.. [Big Grin]
can you make a chip to say I am 90 year old lady with a clean record - not even a speeding ticket, no health problems who is staunchly behind all policies of the Commanders in Chief, whomever he may be?
Oh, and I don't ever watch Democracy Now! or check Noam Chompsy's books out of the library, either.

Mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you audition for chicken little?

You should have.

Oh brother... [loco] zman

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I can say is this is coming.

"He was granted power to give breath to the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak and cause as many as would not worship the image of the beast to be killed.

And he causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads, and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man. His number is 666." (Revelations 13:15-18

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Hey thanks Tree...

I personally don't plan to be here by that time...

I gotta get a bumper sticker for my vehicle...In case of rapture this vehicle will not be manned!

Later tater....zman

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement