LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Off Topic » Sweater Guilt!!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sweater Guilt!!!!
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so lying there recuperating with this fever and kidney infection I am supposed to have been resting which I have done to the best of my ability to rest. I am by nature someone who i s always running around doing 10 projects at the same time and goes from step 4 of project 9 to step 2 of project 48 without a beat all while corraling hcildren and taking them to horseback and library laptime, ect.

So there I am in bed, exhausted, staring at my wall of sweaters.

I HAVE TOO MANY SWEATERS.

I got sweater GUILT.

I have over 30 PINK SWEATERS!!!!
I have over 150 TOTAL SWEATERS!!!!!

I have kept every sweater I have had since junior high!!!!!!!! I can't get rid of anything!!!!!!!!
They still fit thank god!!!!!!

I am weird about sweaters because of

THE LITTLE GREEN SWEATER

When I was little, we were very poor. Every day I wore to school my little green wool sweater which my Grandma had handknit me!!!!! I LOVED that sweater. It felt like it protected me form the world. It felt like it WAS me.

I wore that sweater from first grade through 3rd grade by which time since I was a wild tomgirl there were stains and holes all over it. But I still loved it just as much!!!!

One day my mother wouldn't let me wear it to school.

When I came home, she told me i t had been thrown away because it was so old & worn.

MY LITTEL GREEN SWEATER!!!!!!

SWEATER *****TRAUMA*****

So... years later...

I have my angora phase sweaters with pearl buttons that I can't bear to get rid of even though I can't picture myself EVER wearing them again.

I have my only-natutral-fabric- linen and cotton vegetarian phase sweaters.

I have my black and charcoal grey turtleneck death poet sweaters.

I have my pastels for once I had kids and tried so hard to be mainstream!

I have these glorious sexy little spiderweb sweaters!!! I love those but I have to be in perfect perfect shape to wear them.

I have my cashmere only sweaters and a whole clothing cubicle filled with Margaret O'Learys.

I have my dead fathers old Norweigian wool sweaters that made him look like a fisherman rather than a PhD.

I have 4 sweaters with significant holes and stains but I CAN"T BEAR TO GET RID OF THEM for sentimental reasons.

So once I got up out of bed, I put all my ACRYLIC sweaters (all 2) in a box to give away. I felt a lot better.

We are not rich btw. Quite impoverished!!!
But rich in sweaters!!!!

Best wishes,
Sarah

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH I FORGOT!!! The MORAL OF THE STORY IS:

NO ONE WILL TAKE MY SWEATERS AGAIN DARNIT!*)!

Take THAT Mom*)!

She is disgusted by my sweaters. She sees them as a sad display of Western consumerism. She is a professor and dresses in ethnic garb from India every single day though... either that or turtlenecks and slacks! So her fashion sense is more than a little suspect*)!*)!*)!

My VERY favorite sweater belonged to my grandma and is charcoal grey cashmere and by the time I found it 15 YEARS ago it had been attacked by MOTHS and it has about 30-40 moth holes in it!!!
But I wore it to sleep for years as a nightshirt because it is gigantic. She was a small woman but wore big loose clothes a lot. I LOVE THAT SWEATER. Every lover I have ever had has complained about how unsexy it is as a night garment so I finally retired it after the baby was born... But I take it from it's gray/charcoal/black sweater cubicle and I hug it now and then because it still feels just like my GRANDMA*)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meg
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a lot of sweaters [Eek!]

How are you feeling??? Better I hope--try to keep resting! I know, not easy with little ones [spinning smile]

--------------------
Success Stories---Treatment Guidelines

Posts: 10010 | From somewhERE OVER THE Rainbow | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sarah,
I hope you're starting to feel better and I know for sure you'll be warm enough.

So in effect you down to 148 sweaters, right? ;-)

I must confess, I have an unusual amount of T-shirts. (I'd like not to try to explain that right now, lol.)

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your mom throwing out that sweater has changed the way you think about them!!

I've tried to reform my ways with clothes hoarding by giving away an item when I buy an item. [Got that from Oprah]

Sometimes I get behind. I know it's time to clear things when my closet is so full I can't stuff one more thing into it!

That would be RIGHT NOW! Time to clear out and make someone else happy. [like our library thrift shop ladies!]

Hope you're feeling better, Sarah! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hillaryb
Member # 10049

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hillaryb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! That is a lot of sweaters! I have two thoughts:

1. For old sweaters that you love but are motheaten, take them to a reweaver (you can find them at some drycleaners). I had a few of my mom's old sweaters rewoven, and you can't tell where the holes were at all. It's so great to wear something that's older than I am.

2. If you decide to give away any more sweaters that you don't wear or no longer like, maybe those sweaters could become someone else's special green sweater. This could make it a lot easier to get rid of the excess.

Posts: 90 | From Sunny Southern Cali | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Wow- that is a great idea from Oprah!! I have never once watched Oprah but I am impressed by her personal power. To give away something when you get something new-!!! Yes, that sounds enforceable!!! When it comes to sweaters I need some betetr boundaries!!!!! I desperately need to go through all my stuff and give away a whole bunch!!!!!!!!

I am still all feverish and my kidney is in pain, one was messed up when I was a kid and gets
infected easily. But it will pass and I am so so SO grateful it is not the Lyme. I ran 104 fevers when i first got sick with Lyme, Babs & Ehr so that is why I thought it was!!!!!!!!!!!! Yesterday I way overdid it but we were so scheduled and I didn't want the kids to give up anything. I need to put me first once in a while.
Naaaw... You know, my older one, despite the years of Lyme and divorce, once turned to me and said, "Mama, I'm having a happy childhood!" Can't beat that/ But I am not back to normal yet. The feverishness is the biggest non-normal thing!!

My husband almost killed me this last weekend!!!!
He actually said, "I will STARNGLE you and THEN take you to the hospital!" because I was (with agonizing abdominal and back pain and a 103 fever) REFUSING to go! But of course he didn't!*)

I know that about the dry cleaners person- I have had a few sweaters with minor stuff fixed that way- it is incredible- but these ones are (BAD!).
You know what I have done before is used the yarn, unravel the sweater and crochet a hat!!!
I am passable at crocheting hats and love doing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I OUGHT to give away all my angoras because I KNOW I will never wear them again!!! I know it.
But I tell myself I have TWO daughters who ONE DAY will be raiding ALL my clothes- so if I keep items like the angoras then maybe they will leave my cashmeres alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Denial>? *!)*!!

Take care all,
Best wishes,
Sarah
p.s. How many T-shirts*)*!)*!)*!????????????

--------------------
-John Ruskin

CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Just to add, my husband took off work Mon & came hoome early Tuesday and watched the kids all Sat Sun Mon & some Tues- and made meals (take out mostly*)!*)!*! yum*)! - and even DID LAUNDRY (darn him!!! I had this entire basket full of delicates meant to be handwashed one by one and he put it ALL in ONE HOT LOAD and shrank a bunch of stuff but I thought it was so nicely meant I haven't even- and won't- tell him what he did!!!)

So that comment about him strangling me makes him sounds mean but he has actually been very sweet and even meant that threat in a very sweet way!! Like, "You dummy go to the hospital!"

Sincerely,
Sarah

--------------------
-John Ruskin

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement