LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Off Topic » Quick update on trying to move forward

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Quick update on trying to move forward
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And so the saga continues....

Finally rec'd mitigation fill plan from the local government.

This is after we had to call the Asst. District Attorney re: this issue.

Was 6 and one half weeks since they did an elevation survey on propery.

Six and one half months since we were given a Cease & desist order by parish (Mind you we were never given a violation).

In order to place dirt in our "B" zone, they want us to remove 37,800 cubic yards of dirt from our "A" zone.

Mind you we checked with the A. D.A. in regards to what ordinance there is stating that we must mitigate to add dirt to a "B" zone. There is none.

My husband has an appt. on Monday with the powers that be. We have decided (after being put on hold for almost 7 months with no recourse as we were never charged with a violation)

that we are NOT going to pay for another survey of my "A" land, not going to remove 380' x 100' of dirt one foot thick, and are probably going to sue!!!!!

Punitive damages would be extensive. We could have had a house built by now.

It made me sick to watch our Parish President Kevin Davis meet with Preisident Bush yesterday and talk about getting federal money for the local governments.

My local government wont let me move ahead without satisfying some morbid game of jumping through hoops that nobody else has to.

Thanks for letting me vent. I need this devil off of my back so that I can rebuild.

I think it is a common misconception re: slow progress in Louisiana from Hurricane Katrina.

Some of us are dying to get started.....but are unable to due to local politics!!!

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just can't imagine the frustration.

I'm impressed you still have a TV after watching
Bush and Parish President. I think I'd be tempted to throw a brick through the screen.

As if the lyme struggels wasn't enough!

Take Care, and thanks for letting us know what really goes on.
Carol

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still hanging on hoping and praying for a proper house for you and your family. Keep us posted.

bejoy

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Bejoy,

Patience at times is an exercise in frustration!!!

However, today we finally rec'd word that we have to remove 100 ft by 100ft of dirt one foot thick from our A zone.

That is our mitigation plan. They are to release the hold on our property.

So.....as soon as we can get the dirt, the excavator, etc. we can begin to build the pad for the new house.

This may take about 6 weeks. It is so strange to be finally moving forward!!!

Thank you all for all of your positive words, thoughts and prayers. They have worked!!!

Will keep you posted.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey-think the new house will be done by August?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Dear Carol,

I would love to say Yes, but probably not.

I am hoping by Christmas of this year.

I will keep you posted though.

Is that when you will be in our neck of the woods?

Am definitely planning on coming to meet you.

Hugs,

Geneal

just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great news Geneal,

Glad things are moving,,,altho way too slow.

So the "A" zone you have to take the dirt OUT of is the 'lowest' ground now??

And where are you supposed to put it on the highest ground,,where the house is going to go??

Are you starting completely over on a new piece of dirt,,,or trying to build over and around your half gone house??

Are you hiring a 'builder' or since your husband is in that trade,,,doing it yourself??

Sure hope you are at least hiring various trades men and NOT doing all the hammering and sawing(everything yourself).

Before you know it,your house will be done,enjoy the ride!!happy for YOU now!!!! being--just don

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heiwalove
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
geneal,

thinking of you and sending prayers.

xoxo.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/violinexplosion

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Thank you all so much.

Don, we are building the new house next to the old house, which is still barely standing.

We have to tear down the old house prior to getting a "release for occupancy", but that can wait until we have a place to live.

The A zone sits right next to our B zone. The old house is in the A zone.

Shoot, they could tell me to stand on my head and shoot chickens out of my behind and I would do it!!!!

My husband already had someone come out yesterday to sample the soil we already have.

Said it looked good.

Hopefully the dump trucks will start rolling next week.

When they roll they come at 7:30 and finish at 5:00.

Best news is that our dirt is FREE!!!(My husband works for construction co).

Don....I know my husband wants to "work" on the house.

That scares the heck out of me as he always starts projects, but never and I mean never finishes them.

We just sent my husbands blood to Igenex for Lyme testing (following positive Elisa).

Maybe he won't feel well enough to do the actual work, but can supervise instead.....

He is such a control freak....this may be right up his alley.

Hugs to all,

Geneal

just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geneal,

So far I have resisted saying this. I have always 'heard' that palms need greased in your part of the world to get things done. You havent done "THAT" [tsk] . Around here its like a popularity contest as to who gets what done. The "important" people get there stuff done first!!

So do you have to 'build' on top of that loose dirt being moved?? Or are you selling it,,,getting rid of it,,, and it is hauled 'off site'??

I dont quite understand how moving 1' by 100 by 100 was it?? is going to mitigate anything,,,would it be 'cheaper' to grease?? Or appease?? How does that make the world happier??Just as convoluted as Gore buying carbon credits to off set his huge energy usage from his HUGE house,,(he doesnt really need)He doesnt need to live in a 'shack' but his house is beyond belief. Hope YOURS is bigger and better!!! Are you needing carbon credits to offset your utility useage?? [Big Grin]

have these idiots ever heard of errosin and alluvium?? or was that accreation.??? I am getting too old to remember things!!!

Happy building,
-don

PS-Geneal---Your husband is just a typical guy,,starting things and not getting them finished. Its easier to start and get things tore up than put back together and fixed properly. Plus there is always tommorrow. Volunteer to 'help' to finish those things,,,set right there and visit with him while he does them,,,hold his hand, hand him wrenches, your job to not let him quit till he is done,,,your job=his job,,,called a division of work!! Just dont tell him I said so!!! [Smile]

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Dear Don,

Believe it or not, my husband asked the Parish President how much would it cost us to get this thing done.

That was 4 months ago. Been there, tried that...

The "mitigation" plan is really a smoke screen. So when my neighbor calls to complain about the dirt

the parish can tell her that we are mitigating on our own property.

We can take that 100 feet by 100ft, one foot deep worth of dirt and put it on my B property.

The B property currently sits anywhere between 41-42 feet. Base flood elevation is 43 feet.

We mitigate to get to 43 feet, then we can put as much dirt as we want to without mitigation.

It seems stupid to me to move dirt from one part of the property to the other.

This is the plan that took us 7 months to get and they pay these very expensive engineers to do.

Put that hoop in front of me. I feel like a trained dog.

Okay Jump.

How is your neck by the way? I sure hope you are feeling better.

Glad to see you back.

Hugs,

Geneal

Meg
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great news!

At least this is headed in the right direction and things are progressing--I hope you get your home back soon [Smile]

--------------------
Success Stories---Treatment Guidelines

Posts: 10010 | From somewhERE OVER THE Rainbow | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karenelee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karenelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geneal,

What a trip. The whole thing seems crazy, and I guess that's what it is crazy politics, crazy world.

I was just envisioning the process of moving around the dirt and I rememered the "mound builders" - Native Americans of the South who carefully scraped 1-2 inches of soil off of square miles of area to build a mound. Don't know when or where, but remember reading about it.

And it made me think -- you could build your mound up and make it like a mountain, perhaps blocking your spiteful neighbor's view of everything, and you could make the resulting ditch around your mountain into a moat -- sure you could get a few alligators to inhabit. Maybe you could even have a draw bridge -- I'm sure your kids would become very popular and only their best friends would know the password to get the bridge let down.

You'd have to come up with a flag of some sort though, to fly from your castle turret that is.

Good luck,

Karen

Posts: 112 | From RI | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Dear Karenlee,

Welcome to Louisiana!!!

It is a shame I love to live here...There is not much this state does well.(Okay cajun cooking is tops).

We also really know how to party. Not that I've done any of that, well, since my college days.

Thank you so much everybody for your encouragement.

We had to move our electric fence around and as I have one large dog who thinks it is his duty to eat cats,

had to bring my cat to my Mom's today. I didn't want her to accidentally walk into where the dogs

are now being kept. It made me sad, sad to leave her, but I would rather her be safe than dead.

I promised her that as soon as I could find a "safe" place for her that I would come and get her.

Price of moving forward I guess.

Hugs,

Geneal

bejoy
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hooray for the progress! I'm so excited for you.

Eight years ago we bought a little tiny shack on a big city yard, and have lived through mountains of repairs, walls torn up, floors torn out, and no bathroom for months. Things are pretty comfortable now, and what a change in my experience of life.

I can imagine what it has been like for you to live all this time in two rooms, and not being in control of when and how you would be able to get a proper home put together.

One day you'll be moving in, and its going to be so very very nice! I'm so glad the wheels are in motion!

bejoy

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement