LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Off Topic » Who likes cooking?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who likes cooking?
MagicAcorn
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8786

Icon 14 posted      Profile for MagicAcorn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in a relapsing lazy mood so today it is an Eye Round Roast, caramelized baby carrots, and baked potatoes. Great Sunday dinner and it practically cooks itself.

Who else on here likes cooking. Are you an exotic chef or a meat and potatoes type cook?

As long I as I can cook a Sunday dinner all is right in the world.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1279 | From In hiding | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not me, I'd rather do the dishes, anytime.

So... if you just let me know when dinner is ready I'll be there... all set to do the washing up.

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i absolutely love to cook. not gourmet (yet), but not meat and potatoes either, at least not every night.

i recently happened across an incredible collection of previously owned cookbooks. many were brand new and none back prior to the 1990's. Several visual encyclopedias of food- gorgeous! Books of Greek, Mexican, French, Arab, Israeli, Spanish, etc- recipies, books devoted to single ingrediants- mushrooms, pasta, cheese, chicken, fish... on annd on.

I spent $2 per book on average, and spent just over $100 for the lot (well, what was left of it- others had beat me to it by several days).

anyway, i have been playing with some amazing recipies, and would be happy to swap some with you.

do you try to have a special meal every Sunday?

dilly

Posts: 2507 | From lost in the maze | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ooh, I just made tofu/mushroom/pine nut enchiladas yesterday- made one pan of them and got sick of rolling them up (it's the biggest hassle about it) so the next pan was just a casserole , sort of like making lasagna except with corn tortillas instead of lasagna.

Recipe went something like this:

shopping list:
12 corn tortillas
chili powder
cornstarch or other starch
package of firm tofu, about 8 oz (or ricotta cheese if you don't like tofu)
one big onion
a few cloves of garlic
package of mushrooms
pack of frozen spinach or bunch of fresh spinach
some kind of cheese to grate over the top, or a little bit (1/3 cup?) of nutritional yeast if you don't want to eat dairy/fat
pine nuts or other nuts (like walnuts)
salt, soy sauce, or miso
olive oil to fry mushrooms in and to grease the pan with

To make this:

enchilada sauce:

3 cups water
1/2 cup corn starch (or arrowroot or potato starch or maybe even flour if that's what you have on hand)
1/4 cup chili powder (that's usually not hot cayenne, it's a very mild pepper with cumin and other stuff mixed in)
to make sauce, mix starch and chili, then SLOWLY add a little bit of water and stir well to make a paste (otherwise it'll have lumps), then add in the rest of the water. then, once it's mixed in well, heat it up stirring near-constantly. When it just barely gets to boiling, turn it off- it should have thickened.

The sauce is the hard part.

the other fillings:
8 oz firm tofu, mashed as much as possible (you could probably do ricotta cheese if you don't like soy)
1 onion, chopped up small
pack of mushrooms, chopped small
garlic
(optional): bunch of spinach or pack of frozen spinach
soy sauce or miso

to make tofu mix, take the mashed tofu, add 2 tablespoons of miso, or some salt or soy sauce to taste.

to make mushroom mix, fry up the onion and chopped garlic till transluscent, add mushrooms, sautee on low till mushrooms are done. If you're also using the spinach, you can add it to the mushrooms to wilt it.

Filling the enchiladas:
take about 12 corn tortillas, and steam them lightly about two at a time, then make enchilada roll-ups with the fillings and put into a pan to bake. Steaming is a bit of a hassle because if you steam them too long they stick to the colander. If you don't steam them they crack when you fill them (this is why I did the casserole method instead).

Steam them as you fill them, do one or two at a time because otherwise they stick to the colander or whatever you steam them in. If making a casserole you don't have to steam them.

To fill enchiladas:
So, you add a few spoonfuls of tofu (or ricotta) and mushrooms, and sprinkle a few pine nuts into each tortilla, then roll them up into a cigar about 1" in diameter. Place them into a baking pan about 9"X12". It should fit about 12 enchiladas.

Sprinkle grated cheese on top, then pour all that enchilada sauce over everything, top with a bit more cheese. Maybe sprinkle some more nuts on top.

I made this without cheese, and used nutritional yeast instead to make it dairy-free- nutritional yeast is a food product found at health food stores, not to be confused with brewers' yeast. It's tasty and a bit cheesy-yeasty tasting.

Variation:
to make a casserole instead of enchiladas- just layer the tortillas and the other fillings, ending up with tortillas on top, then pour sauce on top and top with cheese or nutritional yeast

miso makes the tofu really flavorful, and it's really good for you. If you don't use miso, you might want to use some more seasonings, like a lemon pepper or herb mix of some kind, along with salty stuff. You could use some kind of powdered broth mix instead as well I think.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MagicAcorn
Member # 8786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MagicAcorn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dilly,

Good find on the books. I love to cook also. You got my mouth watering now so I will try some Israeli fare next.

Yes, I try to have a special Sunday dinner every week. A hold over from my growing up.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1279 | From In hiding | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mom was a true Southern cook like Paula Deen so I learned from her.

Still make my own piecrusts, breads, etc.

I remember my mom's fried tomatoes, fried corn, meat loaf, green beans with small new potatoes, yeast rolls, and pecan pie.

I loved her fried cat fish and hush puppies with collard greens or spinach either one.

I'm a down home cook......

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay you guys....I am jealous.

How do you get to do potatoes and corn tortillas..

Last time I checked those were not on my low carb diet!!!

I enjoy cooking....However, my children's taste is more to the basics.

So, instead of making two meals, I am down to meat and vegetables

With some type of pasta dish for the kids.

Maybe as they get older I can once again expand my culinary skills.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am inviting myself over to each of your houses. The menus sound yummy.

Magic,
Yesterday I went to the beach to feed the ground squirrels. It was my last hurrah in the sun because I have to go back on Doxycycline. Wouldn't you know it must have been 90 degrees yesterday. Here we go again with the hat, gloves, SPF clothing and all.

As usual, there were dozens and dozens of squirrels. They have learned to recognized the little sound I make to let them know the lady with the peanuts (or nutty lady as we should say) is there. There were several young ones as well as the adults (squirrels I mean, not just people on the beach).

Take care,
Jill

[ 08. May 2007, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: Jill E. ]

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Geneal:
Okay you guys....I am jealous.

How do you get to do potatoes and corn tortillas..

Last time I checked those were not on my low carb diet!!!

they're not on mine either, and I think I'm paying for it today with candida symptoms. Very frustrating after 21 days on diflucan. Time to spend some more time on the low-carb diet.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MagicAcorn
Member # 8786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MagicAcorn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad the ground squirrels have you Jill.

I am sure they had a lot of fun yesterday with the nutty lady. Just remember when a squirrel calls you the nutty lady it is a totally good thing. OK.

I hope the doxy works for you.

--------------------
 -

CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love love LOVE to cook and I eat everything (except coconut I am deathly allergic to coconut & sulfa drugs!). I have a huge cookbook collection that started at a book sale like the one you described*)!*)! I love cookbooks!!!

Except I have some cookbooks with alcohol recipes that tempt me (I do't drink because I am a baaaad drinker!)- like the Curtis Grace cookbook has this recipe for COLD PEACH SOUP made with WHITE WINE- doesn't that just sound wonderfuL>?! *sigh*

So EXCEPT for those alcohol recipes I love cookbooks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The is a cookbook called The Arthritics Cookbook!
But I don't like their recipes much-

I LOVE rich food*)!! I love taking 5 hours to cook an elaborate meal just right!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My husband loves my cooking. Last night we had Chicken Parmesean with corn... tonight we are having homemade Rhubarb pie for dessert and some kind of fresh shrimp recipe for dinner- I am always trying to make healthier stuff because my H is diabetic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And always on a diet- him- not me-

Anywayz, I love cooking!*)*!)
Best wishes,
Sarah

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

I actually enjoy the challenge of cooking for people on various diets- especially vegan/allergy free/wheat free types of equivalents to 'conventional' american foods.

one really good cookbook in that vein is called Mother Nature's Garden- probably out of print right now- it's got terrible unappetizing names for the foods but the recipes are really good, and a lot of gluten-free types of things in there.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have to say i forgot about this subject for a few days, until i had friends come over wanting to help with our overwhelming tide of entrophy and chaos, outside and in of our the house.

so, reality aside, i thought about what to have for lunch.

nothing spectactular, but yummy. fresh shrimp salad with celery, avocado, tomato, spinach & romaine with pita bread; fresh blueberries and blackberries and pineapple, homemade lemonade and fresh figs and dates.

aaahhh. food.. wil be checking back to learn and to share- thanks...dilly

Posts: 2507 | From lost in the maze | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MagicAcorn
Member # 8786

Wow! Dilly!

I'm on my way over for leftovers!

--------------------
 -

imanurse
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imanurse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's down home cookin' here for me.

There's nothing like a hearty beef stew and corn bread or my famous ham balls and garlic mashed tatas.

I LOVE Paula Dean! My mom was from the south so many of her meals seem like home to me. When I was first really sick and was in bed all day I left the Food Network on. As I dosed in and out of conciousness I would dream about all the meals I would create again when well. Giada's meals are too stuffy or fussy for me.

I prefer the casseroles or crock pot any day!

--------------------
**Eat Chocolate**

Posts: 942 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I saw Califronia Lyme's post re: a cook boot collection....

I used to have one too. I had collected at least 500 of them.

I lost every single one of them to the hurricane.

That really hurt.

The couch didn't matter....My cookbook collection did.

Of course, my insurance company gave me minimal amounts of money to replace them.

They depreciated every one by about 60-80%.

I am going to start over again one day....when I have somewhere to keep them.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Geneal, I am so sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am glad you survived though!*)!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Magic- what leftovers? [Smile]

Sarah-

cold peach soup with made with white wine...ummm. does THAT ever sound good! especially as part of a summer dinner.

and Ima- ham balls and garlic mashed potatoes sounds wildly delicious, actually. what goes into ham balls? being a California then yankee gal, have never heard tell of shuch a thing.

Geneal- here's a promise. when you have a place to start gathering cookbooks, i will send you some of my own collection.

i lost my whole collection too about 6 years ago, much less tragically than in your case. When moving, we accidentally mislabeled all the cookbook boxes with TO GOODWILL, and poof, they were gone.

I actually considered it wonderful karma to come someone else's collection, especially so inexpensively, since after Lyme we couldn't justify replacing what we'd lost.

It would be better karma yet to have some of those cookbooks go your way to help replace YOUR lsot collection.

so, just say the word.

meanwhile, i'd like to propose planning a fantasy menu (without regard for actually having to eat what we shouldn't be eating. just a fantasy. say, to serve for 6.

i'll start by stealing Sarah's thought of cold peach soup for a first course. [Big Grin]

what would come next?

daydreaming dilly

Geneal
Member # 10375

Thanks everybody...

I love to read and look at cookbooks.

Maybe we can all do a cookbook swap one day...

Select a few and pass them on.

Might be fun.

Hugs,

Geneal

Lioness
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lioness     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't like it nearly as much as I used to, But I LOVE to eat!! [lick]
Posts: 240 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been watching some of the cooking shows since coming down with lyme.

I am looking forward to being able to cook.

But, for now....I feel pretty good about myself if I am able to put a leafy green salad together.

Can't always do that. I need to keep it simple with one or two steps most of the time.

Multi tasking is getting better.

I'll let you know when I cook my first for real meal. [Smile]

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

ok, Acorn... the weekend approaches.

a saturday night meal?

main course: bean curd and garbanzo bean burgers

burgers are made from red onion, garlic, cumin, lemon juice, garbanzo beans, tofu, potato (only a small amt), cilantro, garlic (lots) and dark brown bread crumbs.

relish; yoghurt, cucumber, tahini, cilantro.

put grated carrots and slices of tomato in toasted bun, then the burger and relish.

yum. and virtuous too....

dilly

MariaA
Member # 9128

oh my god, I just rediscovered roasting chicken. It's SOOOOOO good and you can pick yummy bits off the carcass for a couple of days. I wouldn't do a turkey for just two people but roasting a bird reminds me of feasting on Thanksgiving...

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

MagicAcorn
Member # 8786

Wow! Dilly Garbanza Bean Burgers! Now that would be different around this house. Sounds like it could work for me.

Maria..yes, Thanksgiving is also a good idea?

Now for tonight it is...

Sausage Bread

1 1/2 lb Sausage, casing removed
8 oz Mozzarella
1 Green Pepper (1/4 inch cubes)
1 lb Pizza or bread dough
2 ea Eggs
2-3 cloves garlic
3 sprigs of sage
salt/pepper to taste

Cook sausage, pepper, sage and garlic in frying pan and drain. In a large bowl, combine sausage. mozzarella, parmesan, 1 whole egg, and 1 egg white. Mix well. add salt, and pepper. Roll dough into a circle the size of a medium pizza. Spread sausage mixture on top and to within 1" of the edge. Roll up dough like a jelly roll shape, place on cookie sheet. Brush top lightly with beaten egg yolk. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes until golden brown.

[ 18. May 2007, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: MagicAcorn ]

--------------------
 -

Meg
Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going out to dinner tonight with a big group of family....local boonie downhome place.

Salad with homemade dressings (one is honey mustard with cilantro-my fave)

Homemade soup more like a stew.

BBQ steak as big as a roast and done to perfection.

Baked potato.

Homemade bread.

Tea/Lemonade served in mason jars

Peach or apple cobbler with cream!

Enough food for at least 2 dinners and foil to bring it home in! YUM

--------------------
Success Stories---Treatment Guidelines

Posts: 10010 | From somewhERE OVER THE Rainbow | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Maria-

i have a cooking 101 question for you- how best to roast the bird?

i love crock-potting for many meats, but everytime i cook chicken that way it turns out very greasy.

just a regular oven? basting? tinfoil? salt on outside? my oven birds always seem to end up slightly dry. maybe the problem is the bird itself?

Acorn- i just scratched tofu burgers for saturday. your sausage bread sounds SOOOO much tastier. heck with rabbit food. heck with being virtuous. bring on the MEAT.

Meg... i am drooling. Steak.... MEAT. the whole menu....

dilly

Meg
Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know....being bad, but sometimes ya gotta!

--------------------

Posts: 10010 | From somewhERE OVER THE Rainbow | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MagicAcorn
Member # 8786

The house smells awesome. We are eating late tonight because my oldest has just finished up his first full year of College and will be eating with us tonight.

I just strolled into the kitchen to freshen up my coffee and oh my.....it smells heavenly.

As long as I can feed my family I'm doing OK. That is my measure.

--------------------
 -

sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Acorn-

your son is home from 1st year of college! that is huge. congratulations! rock the house! enjoy!

(here, i really ditched bunny chow for the night. we ordered out--i went for the peking duck with extra hoisin sauce... aahhh. the taste of good fatty crispy duck skin....

dilly

Doomer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11013

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love to cook, but unfortunately it has been minimal cooking the last 7 months due to this illness.

THe foodnetwork is a tv staple of mine, keeps me entertained.

Tonight for dinner was an organic brown ricecake with peanut butter (fat for the mepron). Yummy

Tomorrow I will make barley soup with :
barley
bacon
lots of garlic
onions
celery
kale
spinach
carrots
chicken stock for the liquid
spices:cumin, bay leaves, pepper

It is yummy and healthy notwithstanding the bacon.

Posts: 188 | From ID | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MagicAcorn
Member # 8786

Doomer....now you got me thinking soups. We are having a bit of a Fall like day so some homemade soup may be just the thing.

Hummmmmmm?

Beer Cheese Soup

1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup diced carrot
6 cups chicken stock
1/2 pound Cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 cup flour
dash Tabasco sauce, to taste
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 can (12oz) beer

PREPARATION:
Saute onion and celery until soft and transparent. Saute the diced carrots until tender but still a little crisp. Place sauteed vegetables in a large stockpot or Dutch oven; add chicken stock. Place over medium heat. Stir mixture slowly into hot broth. Add Tabasco, dry mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a simmer. Add beer; heat through and serve. Serves 4 to 6.

--------------------
 -

sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 10 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey!

All you guys are invited over to my place...coz I LOVE to EAT!!! [lol]

And..I am VERY appreciative!!! [Big Grin] [lick]

Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I use to cook Indian dishes that took an average of 4 hours to prepare.

Mulled spices, made the paratha bread, cooked the onions until brown and crisp....

My Mom is a gourmet cook and I have paid the price for it by constantly being on a diet!!!! [Razz] [Roll Eyes]

I use to make the desserts!!! [spinning smile]

Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MagicAcorn
Member # 8786

Sizzled four hour meal deals? That is stamina cooking at its finest. Care to share some faire? I'm always looking for some new dishes to try.

Tonight meatloaf and twice baked potatoes made with Cheddar and Monterey Jack. I think I'm craving cheeses?

I AM CRAVING CHEESE?

-

Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love food and cooking!

i've been doing alot of indian lately, but not the breads yet. my son loves my chicken makhani (indian butter chicken). other than that, i make many different kinds of soups, stews and salads.
not a big baker in general..
more into brunch and dinner type fare. i like many types of cooking ; northern italian, french, thai some sweedish recipes and a few things cooked by my own or some of my friends grandmothers which are "all american".

someone mentioned roast chicken -- my favorite way is to soak it in brine for a few hours, butterfly it and high roast it at 500 degrees.

you'll never go back - it is unbelievably juicy with a great crispy outside, and a nice presentation without much work.

you can high roast thin sliced potatoes with it, and serve with a crisp green salad.

i'll try and write up a recipe, but most of my recipes now are taken from three or four that i read, then i do a "combination" recipe, taking some from each one, and some stuff i just add as i'm making it.

mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doomer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11013

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mo what is in your brine for your chicken and how long do you cook it at 500. I live the idea of most and crisp. It sounds very good and I want to give it a try.

Indian cooking sounds really labor intensive and I can't do that much time on my feet just don't have the energy or stamina right now. I love indian food.

Magic Acorn I love soups and stews. Rachel Ray calls them stoups. Stoups with her sammies.

Posts: 188 | From ID | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

This a.m. I made an old family favorite, my great-great grandmas recipe which I have found in Amish & Mennonite cookbooks as a favorite as well. It is cheap and during the Great Depression was The Big Treat of the household.

For 3 people. For every extra person add 2 eggs, 2 slices toast, 1 tablespoon flour and more butter/milk!!

GoldenRod Toast

Needed- 6 eggs, boiled.
3 generous tablespoons flour.
1 stick butter.
2 slices bread for each person.
garlic press with tiny round holes.
2-3 cups milk.

You separate the hardboiled eggs white from yolk and put the yolks in a pile.

You slice up the whites into little crescent or choppy slices, not too big, not too small.

You make a roux with 3/4 stick butter and the flour and slowly whisk in the milk which should be zapped in a microwave or heated on stove first to make it warm (secret of an easy smooth white sauce- warm milk!).

You add white slices to white sauce.

You toast bread two pieces together and then spread butter on toast. You crisscross cut the toast into little bite-sized squares.

You pour the white sauce over the toast.

You put yolk by yolk into the little garlic press and squeeze and the hard yolk comes out in little curly streams that look like goldenrod.
You put it all over the top of the white sauce.

Salt & pepper to taste!!
Ta da*)!*)!

Cheap & yummy!*))!*!

--------------------
-John Ruskin

Meg
Member # 22

Sarah, that one is totally one of my standard breakfast/company meals.

It's sometimes called goldenrod eggs! or s.o.s.! in the military....I'll let everyone else figure out those initials. It doesn't describe how yummy it is.

We just slice the eggs, but I can see how smashing the yolks would add a good eggy flavor.
We do toast or biscuits.

We're still eating leftovers from that steak dinner the other night....so much food.

--------------------

CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Yup, Meg- I love it!! I thought it was a special Our Family recipe until I got an Amish cookbook and a Mennonite cookbook and it was listed in BOTH!!!!!!! So it is kind of nice to know that it is enjoyed by so many people- and it is so simple!!! The hting about doing the egss with a garlic press is that if you do the press slowly the eggs come out all frothy just like Goldenrod!

I have been trying to figure out s.o.s. but I can't!!!!!!!!!!! What is it>?
Best wishes,
Sarah

--------------------
-John Ruskin

Meg
Member # 22

I learned it from my MIL and she learned it from hers.

Ok, I never take this description personally, and I hope you don't either. It's S*it on a Shingle! Leave it to military guys who probably eat a lot of it/and or get tired of it (I assume)
Evidently that's on toast [Big Grin]

Such an awful name for something so good--I prefer Goldenrod eggs or at my house egg gravy!

--------------------

iceskater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceskater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we had pot roast here on sunday, boiled potatoes and onions and carrots. Looks like our households were on the same wave length. The recipe for the beer soup looks wonderful. can't wait to try it.

SmileyCentral.com

Posts: 719 | From Delaware | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

i'm still waiting too to hear what is in the brine. just salt and H2o?

dilly

CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Yuck Meg, I hope I forget that soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree, 'GoldenRod Toast' is MUCH better*)!*!

--------------------
-John Ruskin

sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, MagicAcorn!

I use to cook for hours but no longer!

The weight and waistlines say it is time to eat simple and eat less! [Roll Eyes]

*picture a very round person chewing on a celery stick!! [spinning smile]

Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you can make any kind of brine you wish, actually. citrus brine, spiced brine of all sorts, maple brine, apple brine, ect..and you can brine any kind of meat. (great for turkey, roasts, chicken, fish, you name it)
it makes the meat really tender.

your basic brine is with water, kosher salt, and sugar. say, a half to one gallon of water, a cup of kosher salt, and a half cup of sugar
- or there-abouts.
for the chicken, i'll add allspice, bayleaves, whatever...or i just do the salt/sugar.
you absolutely MUST keep it nice and cold while brining..
so in the fridge or a cooler. you can do it in a big pot or giant tupperware, and for large meat, like turkey, you can use a heavy, tightly sealed bag.

here's the basic brine/butterfly chicken recipe:

1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 whole chicken (3 1/2 to 4 pounds)
3 tablespoons butter with lots of fresh minced garlic mixed in
russet potatoes - sliced 1/4-inch thick (about 4 medium)

olive oil
3/4 teaspoon salt (for potatoes)
crushed black pepper

* dissolve salt and sugar in 2 quarts cold water in large container.
* immerse chicken and refrigerate until fully seasoned, minimum 1 hour, maximum 4 hours.
* adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 500 degrees.
* line bottom of broiler pan with aluminum foil (this is where the potatoes will cook) and shmeer it with olive oil (so they won't stick)
* take chicken from brine, rinse with water and pat it dry.
* butterfly chicken, flatten breastbone and schmeer on fresh garlic butter, i separate the skin and stick the butter/garlic underneath with rosemary sprigs and lemon slices.
* Place chicken on the top of the broiler pan.
* toss potatoes with oil, salt, and pepper in medium bowl.
* Spread potatoes in one even layer in foil-lined broiler pan bottom.
* Place broiler pan rack with chicken on top, potaoes on foil underneath in the pan.
* Rub chicken with olive oil and sprinkle with pepper.
* Roast chicken until spotty brown, about 20 minutes.
* Rotate pan and continue to roast until skin has crisped and turned deep brown -- 20-25 minutes longer or more if needed.
* A thermometer should registers 160 degrees in thickest part of breast then transfer chicken to cutting board and tent with foil.
* Remove HOT broiler pan rack; soak up excess grease from potatoes with paper towels.
* Carefully peel back foil, using a metal spatula to help slowly peel potatoes off foil as needed, they stick.
* With additional paper towels, pat off potatoes some more.
* Cut chicken into serving pieces and serve with potatoes and a crisp salad of mixed greens.

i know the potatoes are decadent, so always optional. but, since you have to do them in one
layer, you can't fit that many in the broiler pan, so everyone just gets a few.
(and people will fight over them.)

[Cool] mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doomer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11013

Mo - Thanks for the receipe for the brine and butterfly chicken. It sounds awesome, I will give it a try this weekend.

I can't eat the potatoes (yeast problems) but I can live vicariously thru my family with their enjoyment of them.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement